collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Books on Hecate?  (Read 2285 times)

Aubrey_Rose

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Books on Hecate?
« on: May 25, 2012, 03:45:03 pm »
Can anyone suggest a good book on Hecate?

I have read through a lot of websites, and such, but to me nothing is better than a book in hand.

I want something informative on the history and theory behind her, but I don't want it to be some dull, informational text. Does that make sense?
If we all lived a little greener, Then perhaps our children\'s children will live a little longer.
--Rose

Vale

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Books on Hecate?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 05:56:53 pm »
Quote from: Aubrey_Rose;56680

I have read through a lot of websites, and such, but to me nothing is better than a book in hand.

I want something informative on the history and theory behind her, but I don't want it to be some dull, informational text. Does that make sense?

This is on my wish list  - Comes in the print version as well. I just haven't quite got around to buying it yet!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hekate-Liminal-Rites-Torch-bearing-ebook/dp/B004RUXOE8/ref=sr_1_19?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1337982792&sr=1-19

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 06:11:11 pm »
Quote from: Aubrey_Rose;56680

I've asked similarly and received several title suggestions. I have not read enough, but have taken screen shots of the replies and pasted them into my book list for future reading.

Hekate Soteira
The Restless Dead
These two are by Sarah Iles Johnston. I have read the first but not the second. It's next. The first may look dry but I don't think it was.

Hekate Liminal Rites
Hekate: Key to the Crossroads
Hekate: Her Sacred Fires
These three are by Sorita D'Este. Have not read them yet. Will be soon.

The Goddess Hekate

Have not read.

Curse Tablets and Binding Spells from the Ancient World This link seems the same book but less expensive.

Have not red yet.

Witchcraft and Magic in Europe Vol. 2 : Ancient Greece and Rome

Have not read yet.

Hekate in Ancient Greek Religion

Read but as directed: with a large chunk of salt.

I'll link you to threads where these books were recommended and/or discussed along with other books and authors to look into that would have to do with Hekate, but not as the sole purpose for the book. Just page down and look for the responses.

Thread one.
Thread two.

I think those who have read more are better equipped to recommend which ones are best for your purposes. Just thought a list could be useful. The links are to the books, the authors' names can be found that way. Sorry for not including them. Bleary eyes.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 06:15:00 pm by Annie Roonie »

spoOk

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 11:18:15 pm »
Quote from: Annie Roonie;56710
I've asked similarly and received several title suggestions. I have not read enough, but have taken screen shots of the replies and pasted them into my book list for future reading.

Hekate Soteira
The Restless Dead
These two are by Sarah Iles Johnston. I have read the first but not the second. It's next. The first may look dry but I don't think it was.

Hekate Liminal Rites
Hekate: Key to the Crossroads
Hekate: Her Sacred Fires
These three are by Sorita D'Este. Have not read them yet. Will be soon.

The Goddess Hekate

Have not read.

Curse Tablets and Binding Spells from the Ancient World This link seems the same book but less expensive.

Have not red yet.

Witchcraft and Magic in Europe Vol. 2 : Ancient Greece and Rome

Have not read yet.

Hekate in Ancient Greek Religion

Read but as directed: with a large chunk of salt.

I'll link you to threads where these books were recommended and/or discussed along with other books and authors to look into that would have to do with Hekate, but not as the sole purpose for the book. Just page down and look for the responses.

Thread one.
Thread two.

I think those who have read more are better equipped to recommend which ones are best for your purposes. Just thought a list could be useful. The links are to the books, the authors' names can be found that way. Sorry for not including them. Bleary eyes.

currently reading liminal rites right now...it's very chok full of info and super YEY!
the other two titles are more collections of hekate related poems,hymns,essays and the like.

I have a few of the other titles on the list but haven't yet read them thru.
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

Aubrey_Rose

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 08:29:03 pm »
Quote from: spoOk;56751
currently reading liminal rites right now...it's very chok full of info and super YEY!
the other two titles are more collections of hekate related poems,hymns,essays and the like.

I have a few of the other titles on the list but haven't yet read them thru.

Liminal Rites seems to be the favorite. I will have to check it out first! :)
If we all lived a little greener, Then perhaps our children\'s children will live a little longer.
--Rose

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 11:49:44 pm »
Quote from: Aubrey_Rose;56861
Liminal Rites seems to be the favorite. I will have to check it out first! :)

I've been having trouble deciding myself which one to spend the book budget on. Since I was able to score the Witchcraft and Magic in Europe at the library, I think I'll get this one myself too.

Tags: