collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Fired for Premarital Sex? Pregnant Woman Sues Christian College.  (Read 3142 times)

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
So she signed a contract "community covenant," but how legal weight can such a thing really carry?

Read the silliness HERE.

Gender discrimination?  Maybe?  Hmm...
Her lawyer askes:
"How would they know if a man was having pre-marital sex unless he was able to show that he was pregnant?"

Good question.

It has also been reported that [the lady's] boyfriend, who has now become her husband, was later offered a position at the college.
Uh oh.

It has been claimed that the human resource personnel knew about his relationship to James when he was offered the job.
I smell a huge Christing lawsuit.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 03:03:01 am by MadZealot »
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Maulus

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Fired for Premarital Sex? Pregnant Woman Sues Christian College.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 03:45:35 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;99389
So she signed a contract "community covenant," but how legal weight can such a thing really carry?

Read the silliness HERE.

The link only links to this post...

Dan

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 04:35:58 am »
Quote from: Maulus;99395
The link only links to this post...

Dammit.  

Thought I'd fixed the link.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

mlr52

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.GIN.michaellrichardson.com
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 08:37:22 am »

A lot, if challenged it will be found legal.

Her lawyer askes:
Good question.

Not so, her boyfriend was not an employee at the college at that time.  If he was latter hired, then he would have signed the same covenant, which would not cover behavior before being signed.

She said that they told her she was fired for premarital sex, not for being pregnant.  So if she can, show she was artificially impregnated, they would have to give her, her job back.
Light Your Candle, In Love and Service, Blessed Be.
I am a Notary Public for The State of New York, - I do not charge for Notary Fee\'s, I Live in Brooklyn, N.Y.

Maulus

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 10:12:50 am »

If it is a document that specifies that she is not to have premarital sex, and she signed it knowingly. And if the document specified the consequences of breaking the covenant, then, yes I think it would be deemed legal.

However, if the document does not specify that she could be dismissed, then that would be for the judge to decide.

Though, reading it again, they specify homosexuality in their clause, now, not being from the states, this is all taking place in California, yes? and is California a fairly liberal state? if so, that might tip the case in James' favour as they maybe should have specified sex rather than sexuality...

Her lawyer askes:
Good question.

Uh oh.

The way this paragraph is written:
"It has also been reported that James' boyfriend, who has now become her husband, was later offered a position at the college. It has been claimed that the human resource personnel knew about his relationship to James when he was offered the job."

Does suggest that they weren't married when he was offered the job, so they were aware that a sexual relationship was taking place, but they still ignored it and hired him. This does suggest gender discrimination.

Dan
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 10:18:13 am by Maulus »

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 12:07:39 pm »
Quote from: mlr52;99420
She said that they told her she was fired for premarital sex, not for being pregnant.  So if she can, show she was artificially impregnated, they would have to give her, her job back.

You'd think Christians would be the FIRST ones to claim immaculate conception...
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Maulus

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 12:16:00 pm »
Quote from: Jack;99433
You'd think Christians would be the FIRST ones to claim immaculate conception...

I was going to say "Claim Virgin Birth" but had to work and forgot.. D'oh! lol

Skyth

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 12:17:15 pm »
A lot, if challenged it will be found legal.

My wife had an issue with this sort of thing.  Before I met her, she was working for a church daycare in New York.  She was fired for moving in with her (then) fiance.  She challenged it and won, though it might have been because the employee handbook didn't specify that as an offense.  Not sure if it would be different if it was explicitly spelled out.

Sveta

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Fired for Premarital Sex? Pregnant Woman Sues Christian College.
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 02:12:08 pm »

Shouldn't the onus be on the employer to prove the "offence" ? If they're claiming she violated a rule, then THEY need to prove it.

I do see the potential gender issues here too... How would hold a man to the same standard?

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 09:22:47 pm »
Quote from: Sveta;99459
How would hold a man to the same standard?

That's just it.  There's no gender-neutral, pee-in-a-cup type of test (that I know of at least) to check for sexual activity.  The only way the employer knows about this woman's sexual activity-- assuming they didn't ask (illegal) and she didn't tell (hey, it's her business)-- is her pregnancy, which condition puts her squarely in a protected class.

I also want to point out if she'd had an abortion her employer would not have known about her extracontractual (?) activities, but it would not have been "good Christian" of her to have that procedure.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 09:24:20 pm by MadZealot »
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

mlr52

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.GIN.michaellrichardson.com
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 11:02:23 pm »
Quote from: Sveta;99459
Shouldn't the onus be on the employer to prove the "offence" ? If they're claiming she violated a rule, then THEY need to prove it.

I a perfect world yes.  

I do see the potential gender issues here too... How would hold a man to the same standard?

He was not bound to the covenant at the time.  If he agrees to be bound by the covenant then, from that point he has to stop any premarital sex.  If he fathers a child after that point while being unmarried, a DNA Paternity Test at the request of the school would be in order.

Now if he is married and fathers a child by someone other than his wife, would that be considered out of wedlock?
Light Your Candle, In Love and Service, Blessed Be.
I am a Notary Public for The State of New York, - I do not charge for Notary Fee\'s, I Live in Brooklyn, N.Y.

mandrina

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 07:27:34 am »
Quote from: mlr52;99549
I a perfect world y

Now if he is married and fathers a child by someone other than his wife, would that be considered out of wedlock?

Usually.  The wedlock means that not only are the two people married,but to each other.
Katrina

"I have a bad feeling about this."  Every good guy in the Star Wars saga, and an occasional bad guy as well.

Sveta

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Fired for Premarital Sex? Pregnant Woman Sues Christian College.
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 09:23:48 am »
Quote from: mlr52;99549

He was not bound to the covenant at the time.  

I'm not talking about *that specific man* .... I'm talking male employees of the school in general. If there is a contract to be signed, with rules against [whatever], would it not have to be applied and enforced equally to all genders? This contract, as described, doesn't sound like it can be... As Mad Zealot said, there's no "sex test" -- so the only way to know that the female had sex is by her pregnancy. There's no way to know if a male employee did... The contract and penalties can't be applied evenly....

Something else I would be interested in knowing.... What would have happened if she said "we consider ourselves married" --- does the contract define marriage? Does the definition of marriage include common law? Or a choice to perform a personal ceremony without legalities? (I know a few people who have done this as they believe the government should not be in their marriage) In some places you're considered common law after X much time living together --- if the state law says they are "married" can the employer create a contract definition of marriage that disagrees with the law?

What's legal in an employment contract anyway? Do they even have a right to demand an absence of sexual activity?

RedHawk

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 07:31:20 pm »

Read the silliness HERE.

Her lawyer askes:
Good question.

Uh oh.

This has to be the dumbest firing ever. So what she had sex before marriage, it's not harming anyone.

Tags: