How should we organise the exchange?

ound robin style
1 (20%)
ircular mailing
0 (0%)
ame as the other exchanges
4 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Prayer Bead Exchange  (Read 13528 times)

JuniperMorgan

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://courtneygalloway.wordpress.com/
Re: Prayer Bead Exchange
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2011, 10:53:02 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;25015
It sounds like we should jump in and give it a try for the Winter Solstice.

Is there someone who wants to handle the organization?  If not, I'm happy to do it.

Since then, I've started thinking differently.  I'm working on a couple of designs for short sets of prayer beads that can either be worn as bracelets or simply carried as "pocket pieces".  (This site has some examples of pocket pieces.)  For these, I'm NOT linking them to specific prayers.  Instead, each bead represents a particular idea that I want to keep in the forefront of my thoughts.

I did a prototype to experiment with the idea (picture here).   I've been holding it sort of circling around my hand, below my fingers, with the pendants against the inside of my fingers.  That lets me use the labradorite as a sort of worry stone.  So far, I really like it.  It's a tangible reminder to keep Brighid in my thoughts.

For this first prayer bead exchange, maybe it would work for us to take a similar approach.  We could either work as a group to determine what aspects of Brighid or things associated with Her we want to link to our beads, or we could each come up with our own associations.

Thoughts?

I  like this  idea.  Having it in a less formalized form allows for greater personalization  and connection -  at least to me.

I'm in.  And willing to help with organization if you're swamped.
You can also find my ramblings at my blog although I\'m not the best at regular updates.  I\'m working on fixing that. Or look for me on FB here or Google+ here. :)

Aster Breo

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2011, 11:17:46 pm »
Quote from: JuniperMorgan;25020

I'm in.  And willing to help with organization if you're swamped.

How about this:  Whoever is interested in participating in an exchange of prayer beads to celebrate the Winter Solstice, post in this thread.

Let's give it until November 1.  If we get at least two more participants, I think we'd have enough to proceed.  That will give us a little more than a month to actually get the prayer beads finished and sent out.

Once we've determined that we're going to do it, we can decide who will handle the organization.  (It's not hard.  I've done three so far, so I have a system worked out.)

Sound OK?
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Garnet

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Departmental; Feri, Thelema, Morningstar; Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/they
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2011, 12:17:01 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;25026
How about this:  Whoever is interested in participating in an exchange of prayer beads to celebrate the Winter Solstice, post in this thread.

I'm interested!

JuniperMorgan

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://courtneygalloway.wordpress.com/
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2011, 12:24:01 am »

Once we've determined that we're going to do it, we can decide who will handle the organization.  (It's not hard.  I've done three so far, so I have a system worked out.)

Sound OK?

Sounds like a plan! :)
You can also find my ramblings at my blog although I\'m not the best at regular updates.  I\'m working on fixing that. Or look for me on FB here or Google+ here. :)

Siannan

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2011, 06:47:48 pm »

Sound OK?

I'm interested!  And Aster, I love your prototype.  Its beautiful.  And I am a big fan of worry stones.

Siannan

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2011, 08:35:01 pm »
Quote from: Siannan;25125
I'm interested!  And Aster, I love your prototype.  Its beautiful.  And I am a big fan of worry stones.

Ok, crap.... I just realized I am moving in 2 weeks and am doing NANOWRIMO in November - which pushes all the stuff I want to do in November into December.  I don't want to disappoint anyone.  Maybe I'll just do what I can to make one for myself...  Not sure what I can do.

Aster Breo

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2011, 12:44:26 am »
Quote from: Siannan;25148
Ok, crap.... I just realized I am moving in 2 weeks and am doing NANOWRIMO in November - which pushes all the stuff I want to do in November into December.  I don't want to disappoint anyone.  Maybe I'll just do what I can to make one for myself...  Not sure what I can do.

I think we'd want to aim to get our beads in the mail around December 7.  That said, it's not going to be a big deal if someone receives theirs after the solstice.  It's a bigger issue for the Imbolc cross/brat exchange, because some of us want to put the brats we receive outside for Brighid's blessing during the night of January 31.  But there's no similar deadline for a solstice exchange.

Also, if we go with a design for a short string (something like my prototype), it won't take long to make the prayer beads for the exchange.  It only took me about 30 minutes to make that one -- and it only took me that long because I was having a lot of trouble seeing the holes in the small spacer beads.  :p

Why don't you see how things go over the next couple of weeks and then decide if you want to participate?

Aster Breo

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2011, 01:03:34 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;25015
I'm working on a couple of designs for short sets of prayer beads that can either be worn as bracelets or simply carried as "pocket pieces".  

As I mentioned upthread, I've been thinking about a couple of designs.  One is the very simple "mindfulness" design I used for the prototype.

Another design is one I've been working on with a friend, and I now have her permission to share it.  So, in case anyone is interested, here's what I came up with for a short set of beads in honor of Brighid

Nine primary beads:

* 4 beads for Her "occupational associations" -- healing, poetry, smithcraft, and social justice/advocacy

* 2 beads for Her "elemental associations" -- fire/sun and water

* 2 beads for the Mysteries She has shown us (in the case of the set I'm making with my friend, we're using the Mysteries of Fire in Water and Lady of the Stars/Creatrix)

* 1 bead for our individual "personal associations" -- in my case, that's probably something to do with the harp, maybe something like "Brighid the Harpist."  We'll have to either share our personal associations, so whoever makes each person's beads can include something relevant to that person or figure out a group association, or something like that.

Spacers can be small or large, single or multiple.

I'm planning to use simple glass beads, primarily because they're relatively inexpensive, and because I like the "Fire in Water" symbolism of glass.  But we can decide that as a group, or leave the choice of materials up to the individuals making each set.

To finish this design, I'm planning a small silver (or other metal) ring on each end.  The size of the rings can make the strings longer or shorter.  Assuming we want to be able to wear them as bracelets, we can adapt the number and size of the spacer beads, as well as the size of the end rings, to accommodate people's wrist sizes.  The rings can then be connected using a simple S-hook or any other kind of clasp.

We could adapt this design to make a longer string that could be worn as a necklace.

We can also attach charms or amulets to one or both end rings, like I did with my prototype.  This is also something we can discuss as a group.

Thoughts?

Siannan

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2011, 11:27:36 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;25185
Why don't you see how things go over the next couple of weeks and then decide if you want to participate?

If it doesn't take too long to make, and I have the time, I would like to participate.  I will definitely see where I am in a few weeks!  I am just a relatively newer beader and I want to make sure that I do a good job!  :)

Aster Breo

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2011, 01:37:55 am »
Quote from: Siannan;25332
If it doesn't take too long to make, and I have the time, I would like to participate.  I will definitely see where I am in a few weeks!  I am just a relatively newer beader and I want to make sure that I do a good job!  :)

One of the coolest things about beading is that, besides being relatively easy, it's also easy to start over, if you need to.  Beads are completely reusable, so all you lose is a little wire, a couple of crimp beads, and some time.  ;)

Garnet

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Departmental; Feri, Thelema, Morningstar; Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/they
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2011, 03:36:39 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;25187

Another design is one I've been working on with a friend, and I now have her permission to share it.  So, in case anyone is interested, here's what I came up with for a short set of beads in honor of Brighid

I love this design idea! Those are also the Mysteries I associate with her - and my personal association would probably be hedgehogs! Although it's not just mine. :) (And I do actually have a couple of hedgehog beads at home.)

But we can decide that as a group, or leave the choice of materials up to the individuals making each set.

I like the idea of leaving it up to individuals. My current jewelry-making approach is using the many many materials I already have.

We can also attach charms or amulets to one or both end rings, like I did with my prototype.  This is also something we can discuss as a group.

I like the idea of individualized charms or ends. I would definitely like this to be wearable, whether as a necklace or a bracelet.

The example you posted is also giving me ideas for a piece I'm thinking of making for my Godsoul.

Aster Breo

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2011, 12:28:54 am »
Quote from: Garnet;26427

The example you posted is also giving me ideas for a piece I'm thinking of making for my Godsoul.

Glad you like it!  I hope you'll post a pic of what you make, if it's not too personal.

Kelly Ann

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2011, 11:24:49 am »
Quote from: rocquelaire;13825
Ok, so far there's me, Aster Breo and JuniperMorgan. If anyone else who is interested in taking part could please PM me by the 1st of September.

Brighid, Lady of Healing,
I honour you and give myself into your service.

Let the peace of healing flow through me,
Let me bring light to those around me,
Grant me the wisdom to see what is needed,
Grant me the strength to do what is needed.

Brighid, Lady of Poetry,
I honour you and give myself into your service.

Let the spark of inspiration ignite in me,

I would like to fill in more lines and add a bit at the end drawing the others together. What do you guys think? Is this going in the right direction?

Edited because a bit was missing.

I completely love the direction you are going with this. :thup:

Kelly Ann

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2011, 11:36:20 am »

Let's give it until November 1.  If we get at least two more participants, I think

Sound OK?

Aster, I am in.  I am trying to catch up on this thread since I have been away from the forum.  I did PM Rocquelaire  as well, since that was in one of the earlier posts.

Kelly Ann

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2011, 11:56:10 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;26545
Glad you like it!  I hope you'll post a pic of what you make, if it's not too personal.

I love the ideas everyone has shared.  Here is an image of what i made recently for Samhain.

I used a larger weight wire so the beads would coil around themselves.  It has no clasp because it coils around your wrist.  This maybe an idea someone would like for the prayer beads.

My thought on the exchange would be for each person to make their own pattern then include what each bead represents to them as Aster did with her example.  Since Brighid is loved in many ways for different reason, we would learn more about each other and our connection to her, bonding us and making us a stronger Cill.  Just a thought.

Tags: