Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Today at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Today at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Today at 07:44:49 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:21:31 pm]

Author Topic: Astrology & Jungian Archetypes  (Read 6351 times)

AlisonLeighLilly

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://alisonleighlilly.com/
Astrology & Jungian Archetypes
« on: August 20, 2011, 06:02:47 pm »
This is only a half-formed idea that's bopping around in my head at the moment, so please forgive me if this post is a bit unfocused!

I've been studying astrology for a few months now, using it not as a divinatory tool but as a method of psychological exploration. I'm really intrigued by the idea of how the Jungian conception of archetypes fits into this model.

I'm only familiar with four archetypes directly attributable to Jung himself: the Shadow, the Anima/Animus, the Self and the Persona. But the idea of the archetype has been expanded by various psychologists to include others. The most obvious way this fits into astrology is that each planet represents an archetype within the psyche (Mars -> the Warrior, Venus -> the Lover, etc.). After a visit with my brother recently, he passed along a book by Carol Pearson, who developed a system of twelve archetypes. For each archetype in Pearson's system, there is a "shadow side" and a "shallow side" that seem to roughly correspond to Jung's idea of the Shadow and the Persona.

The number 12 also plays a pretty significant role in astrology, with the twelve signs and the twelve houses, as well as the twelve "planets" (the eight actual planets, plus sun and moon, chiron and the true node). I'm intrigued by the idea of how Pearson's set of twelve archetypes might fit into the astrological approach. In addition to the number twelve, she also divides the archetypes into four groups of three that she arranges along two axes (an axis of Belonging-Independence and an axis of Stability-Mastery) that seem like they might align with the East-West and North-South hemispheres of the natal chart.

So I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on how Pearson's archetypes might match up with the signs, houses and/or planets? I just wanted to bounce some ideas off of folks to see if my intuitions are confirmed (I'll share my own thoughts once they've settled down a bit more!).

The twelve archetypes Pearson lists are:
- The Innocent
- The Everyperson (Every Guy/Every Gal)
- The Warrior*
- The Caregiver
- The Explorer
- The Lover
- The Revolutionary
- The Creator
- The Magician
- The Ruler
- The Sage
- The Jester

*The Warrior is sometimes called the Hero, but Pearson instead views all twelve archetypes as stages of the Hero's journey.

Love to hear your thoughts!

--Ali

victoreia

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: disorganized something
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Astrology & Jungian Archetypes
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 06:42:35 pm »
Quote from: AlisonLeighLilly;14402
This is only a half-formed idea that's bopping around in my head at the moment, so please forgive me if this post is a bit unfocused!

Love to hear your thoughts!

--Ali

Intriguing concept. I seem to remember stumbling across a Goddess-focused astrology book that used archetypes. (If I remember correctly, they were Jungian-based.) I'll have to see if I can dig it up, and re-read it. (It's been a few years....)
Do. Or do not. There is no try.  --Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

We are star stuff. We are the universe, made manifest. --Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

Mind how you go. -- Granny Weatherwax

AlisonLeighLilly

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 09:54:17 pm »
Quote from: victoreia;14416
Intriguing concept. I seem to remember stumbling across a Goddess-focused astrology book that used archetypes. (If I remember correctly, they were Jungian-based.) I'll have to see if I can dig it up, and re-read it. (It's been a few years....)

If you remember it, definitely let me know. I'm not as much into the whole goddess focus thing, but on the other hand it seems pretty clear that much of the work done on Jungian archetypes seems to focus on the male instead of the female, so it might provide a good balance.

That is one thing that is refreshing about Carol Pearson's work, is that she seems to make an effort to discuss female as well as male examples of each of the archetypes.

So far, though, I'm not sure there's going to be as much overlap or alignment between the archetypes and astrological concepts as I was hoping. Had a long conversation over dinner about it with my partner Jeff, who has about twenty years of experience with astrology.... Still thinking, though. :)

--Ali

AlisonLeighLilly

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 09:55:24 pm »

- The Innocent
- The Warrior*
- The Caregiver
- The Explorer
- The Lover
- The Revolutionary
- The Creator
- The Magician
- The Ruler
- The Sage
- The Jester

*The Warrior is sometimes called the Hero, but Pearson instead views all twelve archetypes as stages of the Hero's journey.

Maybe another interesting question would be: which archetype do you resonate with the most? And does it seem to be reflected anywhere in your own astrological chart?

--Ali

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seanchasfinn.wordpress.com
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 12:07:51 am »
So I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on how Pearson's archetypes might match up with the signs, houses and/or planets? I just wanted to bounce some ideas off of folks to see if my intuitions are confirmed (I'll share my own thoughts once they've settled down a bit more!).

- The Innocent
- The Warrior*
- The Caregiver
- The Explorer
- The Lover
- The Revolutionary
- The Creator
- The Magician
- The Ruler
- The Sage
- The Jester

Fascinating. And an interesting bit to think about in my own astrological explorations, mainly having to do with how they affect/shape a calendrical cycle of rituals and worship (don't ask me about it, cause that's about all I have :p).

I'll throw these out there:

The Warrior = Aries
The Explorer = Sagittarius
The Jester = Gemini
The Caregiver = Cancer
The Revolutionary = Aquarius
The Creator = Pisces
The Ruler = Leo
The Sage = Capricorn
The Magician = Scorpio
The Innocent = Libra
The Lover = Virgo ??
The Everyperson = Taurus

Er. Something like that. Totally my first impressions. ;)
Fight evil: read books.

Blogging at: An Seanchas Finn

GaiaDianne

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Astrology & Jungian Archetypes - Heroic Myth Index Quiz
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 04:30:23 pm »
Quote from: AlisonLeighLilly;14458
Maybe another interesting question would be: which archetype do you resonate with the most? And does it seem to be reflected anywhere in your own astrological chart?

--Ali

GAIA:

Hi and Merry Meet, Alison - Personally i think this is one of the best uses of Astrology ;) --

There is a self-test called the "Heroic Myth Index" that you might find very interesting, in determining what archetypes you most resonate with.   See:
http://ex.susd.org/jlobdell/Assignme...cMythIndex.pdf

Blessed Be - GaiaDianne

celestialvapor

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 08:21:32 pm »
Quote from: Finn;14489
The Warrior = Aries
The Jester = Gemini
The Caregiver = Cancer
The Creator = Pisces
The Ruler = Leo
The Sage = Capricorn
The Magician = Scorpio
The Innocent = Libra
The Lover = Virgo ??
The Everyperson = Taurus

Hello!
I love this idea. Hmm. I'm thinking Virgo should be the Innocent and Libra the Lover, since Virgo = virgin and Libra = Venus.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 08:27:06 pm by celestialvapor »

Selendrile

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 11:19:12 pm »
Fascinating. And an interesting bit to think about in my own astrological explorations, mainly having to do with how they affect/shape a calendrical cycle of rituals and worship (don't ask me about it, cause that's about all I have :p).

The Warrior = Aries
The Jester = Gemini
The Caregiver = Cancer
The Creator = Pisces
The Ruler = Leo
The Sage = Capricorn
The Magician = Scorpio
The Innocent = Libra
The Lover = Virgo ??
The Everyperson = Taurus

I was about to respond to Alison's post asking what archetype resonates with you and what is your sign. The revolutionary resonates with me and I'm Aquarius.  I laughed when I read your post! I like your list! I can see Libra being lover or innocent but Scorpio and Sagittarius were spot on!

Valentine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: get free; get others free; make new life in the aftermath
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 05:38:53 pm »
Quote from: celestialvapor;53773
Hello!
I love this idea. Hmm. I'm thinking Virgo should be the Innocent and Libra the Lover, since Virgo = virgin and Libra = Venus.

I'd honestly argue the Innocent ought to be Aries--the "youngest" sign in the year, whose first-blush-of-spring urges and drives are simple, straightforward, and passionate, like a child's.
"Let be be finale of seem." - Wallace Stevens, "The Emperor of Ice-Cream"
"There isn't a way things should be.  There's just what happens, and what we do."
- Terry Pratchett, "A Hat Full of Sky"

Valentine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: get free; get others free; make new life in the aftermath
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 05:49:58 pm »
Quote from: Valentine;54104
I'd honestly argue the Innocent ought to be Aries--the "youngest" sign in the year, whose first-blush-of-spring urges and drives are simple, straightforward, and passionate, like a child's.

...on that note, I'd consider Venus-ruled, beauty-loving, physically-driven Taurus as a good candidate for the Lover, and suggest Capricorn, the methodical builder of edifices and institutions, as Creator.  Revolutionary Aquarius, Caregiver Cancer, and Explorer Sagittarius seem kind of inevitable.  Scorpio as Magician seems like a wise choice to me, too.
Pisces, with its focus on bridging worlds and bringing the wellsprings of dream, prophecy, and vision into the cornered world, might be the Sage?  Virgo might be a fine Ruler, in the sense of its earthy tendency toward putting everything in its right place?

I don't know, it doesn't map cleanly, to me, but it's fun to think about.
"Let be be finale of seem." - Wallace Stevens, "The Emperor of Ice-Cream"
"There isn't a way things should be.  There's just what happens, and what we do."
- Terry Pratchett, "A Hat Full of Sky"

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 04:15:50 am »
Quote from: Valentine;54104

Now that I think of it (I've only been paying casual attention, astrology being very not my thing), Aries as Warrior doesn't make much sense to me.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seanchasfinn.wordpress.com
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2012, 08:27:01 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;54159
Now that I think of it (I've only been paying casual attention, astrology being very not my thing), Aries as Warrior doesn't make much sense to me.

Sunflower

What sign would fit Warrior better? I guess I thought immediately of Mars, the planetary ruler of Aries, and went straight to Warrior.
Fight evil: read books.

Blogging at: An Seanchas Finn

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 06:15:49 am »
Quote from: Finn;54228
What sign would fit Warrior better? I guess I thought immediately of Mars, the planetary ruler of Aries, and went straight to Warrior.

My reflex is to say Leo (possibly personal bias there!), but the you'd have to figure out what to do with "Ruler", and Leo is a pretty obvious choice for that, too.  So, I dunno.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Phaedric

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 07:28:47 am »

The Warrior = Aries
The Jester = Gemini
The Caregiver = Cancer
The Creator = Pisces
The Ruler = Leo
The Sage = Capricorn
The Magician = Scorpio
The Innocent = Libra
The Lover = Virgo ??
The Everyperson = Taurus

I think this is very close. I would swap Virgo and Taurus, since Taurus is ruled by Venus, planet of love, and Virgo is a mutable or "common" sign. The others seem solid.

To answer the Warrior question, Aries is ruled by Mars, planet of war, so Warrior would be my choice for Aries. Leo is the sign of royalty, so the Ruler fits perfectly there. A couple of others that might seem less obvious are Pisces for the Creator, but Pisces has been deemed the most creative sign in the zodiac. Scorpio has to do with deep or hidden matters, as well as being one of the "scientific" signs, so the Magician is a good fit, and Libra can be naive, so the Innocent is an obvious choice. The others are no-brainers.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 07:36:20 am by Phaedric »
Hamlet was right! But so was P.T. Barnum . . .

Tags: