Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: Celtic and Greco-Egyptean  (Read 1570 times)

zamotcr

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zamot.pw
Celtic and Greco-Egyptean
« on: April 23, 2014, 11:55:12 am »
Hi!

Right now I'm a member of ADF and I'm doing my DP with the Welsh culture, which I like a lot.
But I do also have interest in Hellenic culture, well, in Greco-Egyptean, at the moment.

Has anyone work with Celtic and Egyptean gods?

My idea is not to mix my druidry work with the Greco-Egyptean, the idea is to keep both apart, but I don't know how to accomplish it. Won't both paths affect my perception and beliefs even when they are two separate practices?

Apart from Celtic/Egyptean, has any of you worked with two completely differents pantheons (f'ex shinto and irish or norse and vodoo, you name it).

beith

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Celtic and Greco-Egyptean
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 01:00:07 pm »
Quote from: zamotcr;146045

My idea is not to mix my druidry work with the Greco-Egyptean, the idea is to keep both apart, but I don't know how to accomplish it. Won't both paths affect my perception and beliefs even when they are two separate practices?

I can't actually answer your question, but I popped in to say I'm currently struggling with the same issue.  I'm following a solitary neo-Druid path and it feels very right to me...except for obvious reasons texts emphasize and other Druids tend to work with the Celtic gods, such as those of the Irish or Welsh.  However, I'm really not feeling a connection with them.  I'm drawn more to the Egyptian pantheon and am also exploring Native American Indian gods/spirits.

So I'll be keeping an eye on this thread as well!

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 06:37:04 pm »
Hi!

Right now I'm a member of ADF and I'm doing my DP with the Welsh culture, which I like a lot.
But I do also have interest in Hellenic culture, well, in Greco-Egyptean, at the moment.

Apart from Celtic/Egyptean, has any of you worked with two completely differents pantheons (f'ex shinto and irish or norse and vodoo, you name it).

I don't know how much I can help you, but I will try my best.

I am currently a devotee of Sarasvati, who could be described as pretty much Pan-Asian (In addition to being Hindu/Indian, she is also Jain and Buddhist, and a version of her called Benten is popular in Japan). Sarasvati is the only one I worship. I light incense to her, and offer milk either in the form of a libation or drunk directly.

The only other deity who figures in my life is Loki. I don't worship him, but he pops in every now and then to remind me that he's around and he expects me to pay attention to him. For him, I give offerings of sugar that I later scatter on the ground. Mostly though, whenever he starts trolling me, I know I need to do a rune reading. I also set him up an altar that I made as deliberately stereotyped as possible - the kind of thing that the maintenance man would come in and see, and then freak out. It's all black, and I've got a pentagram on it upside down. I'm also planning on getting a skull. He seems to have really appreciated the gesture.

I think it's entirely possible to mix two different paths and still have them remain very distinct. Most religions have stuff in common, just as much as there's stuff that's different. So I don't think that just because you worship X god from one pantheon and Y god from another, and maybe you worship them in similar ways, will necessarily be a problem. There's nothing the proper research can't fix. (And that's the Sarasvati devotee in me talking)
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 05:15:42 am »

Won't both paths affect my perception and beliefs even when they are two separate practices?

Beliefs don't really matter in many ancient polytheistic faiths.  Actions do.  As an old Norse (I think?) saying goes, "We are our deeds".  What we do matters more.  

I keep my paths and my Gods/Goddesses/Spirits shrines separate from one another.  I offer to Them at different times and with different offerings: bread and Riesling wine for Aset; olive oil for Athena; red wine for Oya; Riesling wine for Frigga, etc.  

Each of their feast days or special days of the month or week are at different times (sometimes they overlap and then I do two sets of offerings at two separate shrines).  

My practice revolves around certain deities rather than whole pantheons.  I don't honor everyone; I can't.  I'm only one person.
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

zamotcr

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zamot.pw
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 08:08:07 am »
Quote from: SatAset;146115
Beliefs don't really matter in many ancient polytheistic faiths.  Actions do.  As an old Norse (I think?) saying goes, "We are our deeds".  What we do matters more.  

I keep my paths and my Gods/Goddesses/Spirits shrines separate from one another.  I offer to Them at different times and with different offerings: bread and Riesling wine for Aset; olive oil for Athena; red wine for Oya; Riesling wine for Frigga, etc.  

Each of their feast days or special days of the month or week are at different times (sometimes they overlap and then I do two sets of offerings at two separate shrines).  

My practice revolves around certain deities rather than whole pantheons.  I don't honor everyone; I can't.  I'm only one person.

Hi SatAsset, I heard the same about practice rather than belief. That belief is a natural reaction of doing.

But even when belief does not matter, how does one reconcile or accomodate  the diferent beliefs? For example afterlife? Each culture is different in that respect....

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 08:16:27 am »
Quote from: zamotcr;146121
Hi SatAsset, I heard the same about practice rather than belief. That belief is a natural reaction of doing.

But even when belief does not matter, how does one reconcile or accomodate  the diferent beliefs? For example afterlife? Each culture is different in that respect....

Metaphor goes a long way. Not all Pagans (not all members of any religion) take mythology as literal. Nor are all the gods omnipotent or all afterlifes meant for the entirety of the human race.

My grandmother who just passed was Presbyterian her entire life. If there is any continuation after death (which I'm not sold on; it's not important to me) then I'd hope she found a heaven that matched her beliefs. At the same time I can still look at Anubis and Djehuty as the figures who take care of and judge the dead. I can imagine my grandmother's heart weighed against the feather and not found wanting. As far as I'm concerned, all these things are equally true because we're talking about religion and not science.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 09:09:19 am »

Worry about the afterlife when you're dead.

Are you living according to the expectations of your paths now?  If not, fix that.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

IceAngie

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she, her, hers
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 01:10:09 pm »

Believe what makes most sense to you. You can still worship the gods of another pantheon, even when your beliefs are different from those of the culture your gods come from.
Angeles/IceAngie/Selegna.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 01:33:34 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;146124
Worry about the afterlife when you're dead.

Are you living according to the expectations of your paths now?  If not, fix that.

This, and fixing it will always entail a behavior modification of some sort.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Izzie414

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 08:59:10 am »
Hi!

Hello,

I work with Egyptian gods: Anpu, Isis, Sekhmet, Bast, Hathor, and I honor Set. I've just been made aware recently that The Morrigan has been nudging me for quite some time. I honor her the way she wants (drives from research), and her altar is separate from my Egyptian altar. I honor them separately, and UPG tells me they're cool with each other, but Morrigan has claimed me. So, it is possible to carry multiple paths. I'm finding lately that focusing on the deities and not the pantheon/culture works better for me.

Lana288

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 08:41:58 pm »
Hi!

This is actually something that I can understand, despite (or because of) working with only one pantheon. Consistancy is very important to me too, which as you said, is hard to keep when beliefs contradict each other. (I do know that the beliefs overlap. That being said, Valhalla doesn't really compare well to the the Fields of Asphodel.)

Personally, if I were to go and honor gods from more than one pantheon, I'd go for having a primary pantheon to base my beliefs on morality, the afterlife, and my cosmology on. After securing that, I'd start working on welcoming any other dieties into my life. (So, like adding icing to cake as opposed to mixing eggs and butter.)

Also- perhaps this is something you could take to the dieties themselves? This is going to involve them, one way or another, so it might be a good idea to ask them for direction, and help piecing things together.

Good luck!

Tags: