Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 06:39:30 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:03:12 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 04:12:49 pm]

"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Author Topic: interested in paganism but want to know where to start  (Read 2679 times)

llwynog

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
interested in paganism but want to know where to start
« on: April 21, 2014, 01:51:38 pm »
I think most of my ancestors were Celtic from Wales, Scotland, England and to a lesser extent Ireland. I am interested in paganism but do not know where to start. In college studied Native American religions when I lived in DC but do not know much of Celtic beliefs. I am not a Native American so I am not sure I can really participate in those beliefs so want to consider Celtic beliefs if possible. I would like to know where to start.

Kyndyl

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: interested in paganism but want to know where to start
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 03:31:50 pm »
Quote from: llwynog;145875
I think most of my ancestors were Celtic from Wales, Scotland, England and to a lesser extent Ireland. I am interested in paganism but do not know where to start. In college studied Native American religions when I lived in DC but do not know much of Celtic beliefs. I am not a Native American so I am not sure I can really participate in those beliefs so want to consider Celtic beliefs if possible. I would like to know where to start.

well you're in luck in some ways.. there were shamanistic practices among the indo-europeans that you can use your study of native americans to have some practical applications with. As far as where to start.. Reading.. a LOT of it.. you can read about celtic history and traditions, the ones that got through the monks and are being re-discovered through archaeology today. If you're not sure about where you might want to study that's a good place to start. There are thousands of books available on paganism.. with a variety of backgrounds and takes on things. and you can explore ones you find interesting. as for general paganism that's what I can recommend.. if you have smaller area.. I can probably recommend specific books.. but no knowledge is ever wasted.. so welcome to books and libraries being your new best friends/ and major time investment.

Phouka

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 08:08:44 pm »

welcome to the Cauldron. The Cauldron has a very good booklist of Celtic religion books you can buy and also SIGs such as Hazel & Oak - A Celtic Polytheism SIG and a Neo-Druidry SIG (SIG is special interest group). That should give you a good start.

Phouka

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 11:45:39 pm »
Quote from: Kyndyl;145886
there were shamanistic practices among the indo-europeans that you can use your study of native americans to have some practical applications with.

That sentence right there is all kinds of problematic. The word 'shamanistic' doesn't belong in there with Indo-European or Native American. And the techniques are sure as hell not interchangeable under the Shamanism banner.

Please consider reading the linked thread for a rundown on why this is the case:

http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/showthread.php?8769-Wiccan-Shaman
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 12:04:47 am »
Theres a great book  called Celtic Mythology by Proinsias MacCana! http://www.amazon.com/Celtic-Mythology-Proinsias-MacCana/dp/0600006476/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1398139418&sr=1-1&keywords=celtic+mythology+proinsias+maccana. It's a great place to start.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 12:05:44 am by Cabal »
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

Kyndyl

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 09:46:01 am »
Quote from: Allaya;145917
That sentence right there is all kinds of problematic. The word 'shamanistic' doesn't belong in there with Indo-European or Native American. And the techniques are sure as hell not interchangeable under the Shamanism banner.

Please consider reading the linked thread for a rundown on why this is the case:

I didn't say interchangeable, I said similar.. and they were asking for places to start not a theology dissertation. I know the origin of the word shaman, and I know the practices it has been applied to. As for the rest we'll just have to agree to disagree.

llwynog

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 10:25:36 am »
Quote from: Kyndyl;145886
well you're in luck in some ways.. there were shamanistic practices among the indo-europeans that you can use your study of native americans to have some practical applications with. As far as where to start.. Reading.. a LOT of it.. you can read about celtic history and traditions, the ones that got through the monks and are being re-discovered through archaeology today. If you're not sure about where you might want to study that's a good place to start. There are thousands of books available on paganism.. with a variety of backgrounds and takes on things. and you can explore ones you find interesting. as for general paganism that's what I can recommend.. if you have smaller area.. I can probably recommend specific books.. but no knowledge is ever wasted.. so welcome to books and libraries being your new best friends/ and major time investment.

Thank you very much. I have much to do it seems but I look forward to it. I am interested also in seeing if there was a similar pattern in European pagan religions going from the polar towards the equator. I think it is interesting that there were pyramids in both locations towards the southern aspects and no clear evidence that one was influenced by the other.  I would be interesting to see if the transition from circumpolar to equator for European pagan religions is anyway similar to Native American patterns.

Mikie

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 06:50:55 pm »

Ok sorry I'm at work and didn't have time to read what everyone wrote lol But I'm going to state the obvious! The internet is an amazing tool with many many sites! I know you said you were looking into Celtic paths and i have a few Website I'm going to PM you. They should help! Keep in mind "pagan" is an umbrella of many different beliefs, so make sure you follow your heart!

Mikie -

llwynog

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 06:30:46 pm »
Quote from: Cryfder;145921
Theres a great book  called Celtic Mythology by Proinsias MacCana! http://www.amazon.com/Celtic-Mythology-Proinsias-MacCana/dp/0600006476/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1398139418&sr=1-1&keywords=celtic+mythology+proinsias+maccana. It's a great place to start.

I was able to get the book you suggested and it is great. The first surprise was the cover with the Gundestrup cauldron which reminded me of a depiction of Native American entering into a trance state to enter the spirit world. I understand it is to represent one of the Gods but it is very fascinating. The first thing that struck me was how different the Celtic god were from the Roman gods and wanted some help to understand the distinction. The author suggests that Caesar just tried to label the Celtic gods rather the to understand the difference. Would appreciate any help understanding the difference - at least as much as we know.

eldri

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 11:58:43 pm »
I would like to know where to start.

Books are great tools, but  in addition to what you read  *I* recommend  get outside, walk around, Look at the world and the seasons.
a good tree can be a great help, many of them are quite wise.
Go find one you like,(that 'feels right') sit under it. Perhaps with your back touching it---Breathe---
Do this  every day-(or as often as you can, at least once a week) 'feel your way' towards Your practice,(ask for help--or advice, or just Listen)

Or set up an Ancestor shrine, and listen to them...

llwynog

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 10:03:44 am »
Quote from: eldri;146401
Books are great tools, but  in addition to what you read  *I* recommend  get outside, walk around, Look at the world and the seasons.
a good tree can be a great help, many of them are quite wise.
Go find one you like,(that 'feels right') sit under it. Perhaps with your back touching it---Breathe---
Do this  every day-(or as often as you can, at least once a week) 'feel your way' towards Your practice,(ask for help--or advice, or just Listen)

Or set up an Ancestor shrine, and listen to them...

I agree with what you say and like the input. I actually do what you suggest every day, but the book raised some questions about the Celtic gods and goddesses and I was wondering if anyone could help with a few questions. The first was about the difference between the Roman and the Celtic gods and goddesses. There does not seem to be a division of labor as in the Roman gods and goddesses and the Goddesses of the Celts seem more associated with the land than the Roman Goddesses. Any insight to that would be helpful.

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 10:43:14 am »
Quote from: Allaya;145917

Or type the word shaman into the search engine and choose from any of the other 3 trillion threads where the same conversation is hashed and re hashed and re re ......you get the point.
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

Tags: