collapse

Author Topic: Racism in paganism  (Read 7677 times)

zamotcr

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zamot.pw
Racism in paganism
« on: April 21, 2014, 10:53:57 am »
Hello there!

I've been quiet for some time.

For some time I've worried about some issues in paganism that has affected me.

Most of us chose to follow one or more ethnic paths (gaelic, welsh, norse, etc) or at least we draw from them or connect with some of their gods.

But in paganism we have those racist, white-separatist pagans who said that one should not follow an ethnic path unless you are part of them in a biological sense.

So, I'm a little scared to work with Norse gods. Some followers have created a bad aura around them, I think.

So, we does this ideas came from? What are the "basis" for those racist claims? Where in the lore of those cultures is something regarding who can or can't follow a god based on race or ethnicity? Why can't a Jew or an African-American worship Odin if he want to?

I have a lot of interest in Welsh, Norse and Hellenic cultures. Do I have ethnicity, ancestors or blood that tied me to them? I don't know, nor I don't care.

Also I've heard that some people started worshipping those gods to honor their ancestors, because their ancestors worshipped that gods too. But almost all our known ancestors were Christian. Should I be christian to worship them? What is the role of the religion or gods I choose to follow with my ancestors? To honor them correctly, we have to choose the same pantheon as they did? Sounds weird...

I know this forum is against racism, I just want to know where did this ideas come from, knowing that they didn't come from the lore nor the cultures itself.

Sorry, I wrote a lot of ideas that are on my head. Hope we can have a nice dialog.

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Racism in paganism
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 11:11:10 am »
Quote from: zamotcr;145856
Hello there!

Most of us chose to follow one or more ethnic paths (gaelic, welsh, norse, etc) or at least we draw from them or connect with some of their gods.

But in paganism we have those racist, white-separatist pagans who said that one should not follow an ethnic path unless you are part of them in a biological sense.

So, I'm a little scared to work with Norse gods. Some followers have created a bad aura around them, I think.

So, we does this ideas came from? What are the "basis" for those racist claims? Where in the lore of those cultures is something regarding who can or can't follow a god based on race or ethnicity? Why can't a Jew or an African-American worship Odin if he want to?

I have a lot of interest in Welsh, Norse and Hellenic cultures. Do I have ethnicity, ancestors or blood that tied me to them? I don't know, nor I don't care.

Also I've heard that some people started worshipping those gods to honor their ancestors, because their ancestors worshipped that gods too. But almost all our known ancestors were Christian. Should I be christian to worship them? What is the role of the religion or gods I choose to follow with my ancestors? To honor them correctly, we have to choose the same pantheon as they did? Sounds weird...

I know this forum is against racism, I just want to know where did this ideas come from, knowing that they didn't come from the lore nor the cultures itself.

Sorry, I wrote a lot of ideas that are on my head. Hope we can have a nice dialog.

For some people, honoring the gods of their pre-Christian ancestors is a workable model. That's not universal within pagan religions. It's not even a valid universal assumption that people will know who their pre-Christian ancestors were. You're going to find racists in any religion, because religions are made up of human beings with human flaws, but the gods aren't going to shut you down just because you don't have the correct pedigree.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Lana288

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 11:16:28 am »
Hello there!

I can't imagine it matters where the ideas come from, really. I also can't imagine that blood matters to the gods all that much. I'm pretty certain I have little to no Latvian blood in me, and that hasn't stopped the Gods from reaching out. If I were you, I'd worry more about what the Norse gods Themselves think, and less what a couple of their worshippers do.

(And no, I really don't think the Divine Powers care what color your body is or what race you belong to. They seem to have bigger fish to fry.)

NiDara

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheism, Clann Bhride
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her they/them
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 11:28:05 am »
Hello there!

You can be of any religious or cultural background and venerate the deities you feel drawn to, and the gods/goddesses wish to work with you. Racist pagans are like any fundamentalist who think only certain people can have access to the divine/be accepted by the divine; that's not true. I doubt any deity cares about the color of your skin or ethnic background. Intent is what really matters.

The generations within those cultures you named were pagan before the rise of Christianity. Historically, religion of all kinds has crossed cultural boundaries. After a certain point, it becomes somewhat futile to pinpoint exactly where your ancestors originated from. When it comes down to it, we are all one human race.

Don't let those who spout such nonsense destroy your urge to follow the deities you want. If you want to follow Odin, seek him out. Find like-minded people who won't create a bad aura around them. I find that many of the race-based restrictions regarding religion come from people who want to control others. Those same people that taint religion are ignorant and really shouldn't be listened to.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 12:35:28 pm »
Hello there!

Plenty of white people worship gods from non-white cultures, and many other appropriate the practices of indigenous peoples such as Native Americans. When the more problematic aspects of this practice are noted by others (both white and people of color) it can stir up some really nasty feelings.

I've met plenty of white people who just don't "get" that when a middle or upper-class white person copies a commercialized version of the religious rites of a culture that her ancestors may well have had a hand in suppressing, it's tone-deaf at best, and racist at worst. I've talked to individuals who really wouldn't see the difference between a person of color who is drawn to, say, Hellenism or Norse mythology, and a well-to-do white person who wants to become a "shaman." They just don't understand.

A lot of this I think comes from the tendency of the people I've spoken with to not really try to understand other cultures, or even basic history. Therefore, they can't tell the difference between thoughtful borrowing and cultural appropriation.

To give an example from my own practice, my Patron Goddess is Sarasvati. She's an Indian Goddess, popular with Hindus, Jains, and Buddhists. Various versions of her are found throughout South and East Asia. My ancestry is mostly so-called "Black Irish," though I also have ancestors in Lowland Scotland and Northern England. There is no mistaking me for anything but of Celtic origin, as I have green eyes, very fair skin, and auburn hair that tends toward red. Pretty clear that nobody in my family tree EVER worshiped Sarasvati. On the other hand, it wasn't ME who chose HER. My original focus was Japanese deities, since I have a deep knowledge of Japanese history - deeper than my knowledge of American history! It simply felt appropriate to start there. Apparently though, when I was worshiping Benten (Sarasvati's Japanese avatar) she had other plans.

So I feel reasonably justified worshiping an Indian goddess. What I do NOT feel I should ever do is dabble in something like hoodoo, or any African diaspora religion. Not only would my efforts be insincere, but I know my family history well enough to feel that it would just be wrong of me to do so, when the wealth and good fortune my mother's side of the family came to enjoy was basically built on slavery and the systematic oppression of people of color.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

beith

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 12:54:33 pm »

I have no hard citations to back this up, but I really feel that someone pushing a racist agenda can latch onto many things.  It isn't necessarily a characteristic of the religion itself.  The Norse religion isn't racist inherently, rather some adherents are racist and want to be exclusionary, using their religion as a means to do so.

If you are called to work with Norse deities, then I think you should go where you feel called.

I'm not familiar with Germanic paganism, but I would guess the idea comes from racist individuals twisting their religion to serve their own racist agendas.  Jews and African-Americans can and do worship Odin.  You can too, unless somehow you get a sense that Odin does not appreciate it.  From Odin himself...not from racists jerks.

Good, you shouldn't care.  I have no Native American Indian blood in me.  But I live in the US and have a great appreciation for their culture and want to get to know the spirits and gods of this land on which I live.  I also have a lot of love and appreciation for Irish and Scottish culture.  I have extremely small percentage of those ancestries compared to my English and German sides, yet I do not feel drawn to the English and German.

I think that's fine if that works for them.  One of the reasons I began to explore paganism is I knew Christianity was forced on me because it was the religion I was raised with, and I was never given a chance (nor encouraged) to explore what was right for me.  I thought hey, it was forced on the ancient peoples of Europe as well, I wonder what they did before...  (Though I'm not sure how strong said "force" was)

But as you said, all my known ancestors were likely Christian (or I knew them to be).  I still honor them.  I don't have to be Christian to honor them, and you don't have to honor your ancestors at all if you don't want to.

In the end, we all choose the path that works for us.  For me, it began with honoring my ancestors and exploring the ancient religion of Ireland.  It then moved to realizing I am drawn to Egyptian deities and not clicking with the Irish, though the work involved in neo-Druidry resonates strongly with me.  From there, I realized that I'm not sure about Egyptian deity and am learning about the spirits involved in Native American Indian religions of my birth state and current location as I continue to honor Sekhmet.  It will continue to evolve, and that's okay.

I understand that the white separatist attitudes that exist in some areas of Germanic paganism bother you.  That's very understandable.  But know that they more than likely do not represent what those religions are about.  There are others with no northern European ancestry who follow the Norse pantheon or other Germanic deities/religious practice.  If the path that is right for you involves honoring Germanic or other European deities and being involved with that practice, then you should pursue that path.  In ancient times the world was a big, separated place due to limitations in travel and communication.  Even then deity and religious ideas crossed borders.  Today we have a very connected world where we immigrate and travel and communicate with others thousands of miles (kilometers) away.  If religion crossed borders back in antiquity, how could we not expect it to be even more so in our uber-connected world?

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 03:15:21 pm »

IMO, if there is work to be done, the gods will work with you regardless of your family's ancestry if you are the right person for the job. Unless there is some sort of circumstance, they won't turn away reverence and offerings on the same basis. Working towards giving a god proper offerings and making an effort to give them something that they are traditionally offered (which can't be mistaken for an actual traditional in-the-culture offering, because that's different) is a good thing: it means you care, and you're trying to create a better relationship between you two.

This is different from appropriating from another culture though (which is doubly more problematic if you are someone who belongs to a culture with privilege and institutional power over the one you are pulling from). Adopting practices that are open and okay for you to learn provided you give it the proper respect is a thing people can do, and understanding and respecting if the people say "No, please do not do this" and not doing it.

F'ex, speaking from my own background: if you offer tobacco to local spirits and you live in North America, that's a pretty okay thing, since it's a common enough offering (at least up here in Canada?) and something that has been traditionally done for a very long time. However, trying to create your own "peace pipe" and stuff it with various and sundry things? Not okay, and really disrespectful to the people. However, both of these examples are things of cultural items and actions, and not the gods, because the gods will do what they want. I just wanted to make that clear.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

zamotcr

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 11:44:00 am »

It seems to me that racism is an alien thing to ancient lores and religions.

So, has anyone identified where does this alien ideas started to take place? Are they using external sources to justify racism and bigotry, to exclude people just due to ethnicity? Are concepts like 'folk-soul' Norse or just Jungian, etc?

For me, I do believe cultures has nothing nothing to do with biology. Any anthropologist would agree on that. Genes have nothing to do with culture. A culture is something learned or adopted, but not inherited. Anyone can change their culture or learn and live in new cultures. If someone wants to follow Norse gods, I think he would need to learn and understand the culture of such gods, because culture is learned, not something that is passed through genes.

Also there are cases of cultures who changed their ethnicity. It have happened
many times throughout history.  For instance, after the Mongols invaded China,
they eventually became culturally Chinese, that is, they adopted a Chinese
ethnicity.  And even the IE Tocharians did the same.

So I think race and ethnicity has nothing to do with gods nor the lore. But again then, where does those people claim or backup their claims, in the lore?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 11:44:16 am by zamotcr »

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 12:01:26 pm »
Quote from: zamotcr;145946
So I think race and ethnicity has nothing to do with gods nor the lore. But again then, where does those people claim or backup their claims, in the lore?

I've never seen one try.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

zamotcr

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 01:05:41 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;145948
I've never seen one try.

Basically they backup their claims in romantic ideas and people like Julius Evola, Jung, and others, but not on the lore?

So they shouldn't speak as their way is the correct way.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 01:05:58 pm by zamotcr »

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 06:25:57 pm »
Quote from: zamotcr;145946
It seems to me that racism is an alien thing to ancient lores and religions.

So, has anyone identified where does this alien ideas started to take place?

I figure it probably stemmed from the sense of nationalism people had for their country, city-state, etc. F'ex, most ancient Greeks believing anyone from a country outside their own (or that was properly Greek-influenced) were absolute barbarians and kind of a lesser being than them.

Where racism as a concept really started I do not feel qualified to definitively comment on (I guessed above, but that's all it is: a guess), because I have no traditional stories to base a spiritual or religious opinion on, and I do not have anywhere near the kind of academic training or background to figure that out. To me it also doesn't seem very useful to learn, because I need to know how to combat racism now and how it affects us.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Ghostlight

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 04:03:46 am »

As has been said, culture isn’t written in your genes so this is nonsense.

People who argue this usually don’t know much about history and they never go back in time far enough when looking for the pre-Christian faith(s) of their ancestors.

For example, I’m German and my family has been living in Bavaria for at least five generations. So clearly that puts my ancestors firmly in the Germanic category, right? Nope. Because five generations ago my family was mostly Christian and a bit Jewish. Finding out what people in this area believed before becoming Christian requires me to look back at pre-Christian times. And that’s when things get complicated.

Because in pre-Roman times this area was predominantly Celtic (yeah, guess what? Celts didn’t come from the British Iles). And then the Romans came, still pre Christianity, and brought their faiths with them. I say “faiths” because the religion of the Romans was itself a mixture of various believe systems. And of course Roman legionaries, traders, etc. could come from anywhere in the empire – from modern day Portugal to Libya to eastern Turkey.

And then the migration period started and shuffled European peoples all over the place, bringing various Germanic tribes into the area. And the reason for that were the Huns, who made it all the way to Gaul (France) from central Asia and for some time even controlled part of what is now Bavaria. And at about that time the area began to be Christianized, but there’s no way to tell when my own ancestors converted or what they believed before becoming Christian.

Anyway, the point is all that could potentially be part of my gene pool – Celts, multicultural Romans, Huns – and by extension part of my cultural heritage as per the “religion is genetic” argument above. I may well have ancestors from ancient Egypt, allowing me to practice Kemetism even though I don’t look like it (i.e. very bright pinkish skin and dark blond hair). And that’s only the options assuming that my ancestors have stayed put for the past 1500 years, which I don’t know. I only know of five generations and that’s nothing.

For Europeans at least, basing your assumptions of your ancestor’s pre-Christian faiths solely on where you live now, or where your grandparents came from is not a good idea. Your best option is a gene test to see the migration patterns of your biological ancestors and go from there. Ironically, the “culture is genetic” folks don’t seem to be very keen on this, probably because they know that it would wreck all delusions they have about genetic and cultural “purity”.

beith

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 10:23:39 am »
Quote from: Ghostlight;146112
Ironically, the “culture is genetic” folks don’t seem to be very keen on this, probably because they know that it would wreck all delusions they have about genetic and cultural “purity”.

It definitely would.  Focusing on European genetics, western and central Europe is a highly admixed region.  Many people of European descent would also find Scandinavian signatures due to the Vikings getting around...this is particularly true of the British but not limited to them, of course.  Eastern Europe tends to be a bit more "pure" for natives, but that encompasses a large area with numerous indigenous religions.

I've come to terms with the fact that I can't reconcile my heritage and where I live with my religion.  By genealogical research my ancestors are German, English, Scottish, Irish, Scots-Irish, French-Canadien, and Welsh, along with a few unknown branches.  My DNA I have predominately Western European, Eastern European, British (combo of the English and Scottish), Scandinavian, and Irish.  I also have traces of every other option in Europe: southern, Iberian Peninsula, European Jewish, and Finnish/northwest Russian as well as a very small trace for the Caucus region.

My ancestors have also been in the US and Canada for a long time, with the first known arriving in the 1620s and the last arriving by 1889 - so at least 4 generations of us have been in the US in one line and at my latest count about 13 generations into colonial times in another line.  I was born in Michigan, where I have had family for almost 200 years (might seem small to many - but to a European-American that is a long time!).  I'm one of the few who has moved away and I now live in Colorado, where I have no ancestral ties and no family near me.

So...where is my history?  I'm a European mutt whose family has been in the US/Canada for a few centuries but I have no Native American Indians in my direct family line.  Am I tied to my ancestors or the land?  And what about this new land where I live...it's not quite as big as immigrating to another country but I'm 2000 km from where I'd call home.

Like my DNA, I think it is a mix and I must simply find what feels right to me.  The Druid path feels right.  No pantheon of gods has felt right yet, but I'm reading and learning and open to new experiences.

zamotcr - I think you need to do what feels right for you too.  Racists will always use anything they can to push their agenda, and as you're seeing it is very hand-wavy and not based in fact.  Keep learning about Welsh, Norse, and Hellenic cultures and religion and choose the path that works for you.

Haters gonna hate, as the saying goes.

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 04:14:36 pm »
Quote from: Ghostlight;146112

For Europeans at least, basing your assumptions of your ancestor’s pre-Christian faiths solely on where you live now, or where your grandparents came from is not a good idea. Your best option is a gene test to see the migration patterns of your biological ancestors and go from there. Ironically, the “culture is genetic” folks don’t seem to be very keen on this, probably because they know that it would wreck all delusions they have about genetic and cultural “purity”.

Did the DNA testing.  Hispanic (explains the cousins in a few South American and Central American countries), English, Jewish and found a match to somebody from Norway.

dionysiandame

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 02:35:22 pm »
Quote from: beith;146129

Haters gonna hate, as the saying goes.

Word. To add to this, and someone probably already said it, "culture" is a combination of factors that tend to have nothing to do with one's racial make-up. I'm "ethnically" Black African, Scots-Irish, Indigneous USian, and Unicorn, but I'm a Hellenic polytheist.

"Shouldn't you worship gods that come from your culture?"

I'm a child of the west. Born and bred in Western Civilization where the Greeks and Romans were the best things since sliced bread. I learned Greek Mythology in school long before I learned much of anything about Indigenous tribes, African USian history let ALONE African history, and Unicorns? Forget about it. All knowledge about them is lost to the sands of time.

Their triumphs and downfall are part of the fabric that makes up the culture I carry from birth, 3 or more generations back.

Culturally, I am Western through and through; from the name I carry, to the language I speak, the foods I eat, the education I received, and the history I share with a host of other Westerners etc ad nauseaum.

It's funny because some of the SAME people who will get upset that I put "African" in front of "USian" (because that's divisive dontcha know) are the same folks who get upset when I remind them that I am just as much a part of the West (and that includes parts of Europe) as they are. Everybody WANTS you to be one of them UNTIL YOU ARE.

So haters gonna hate, fishes gonna swim, idiots gonna get their panties in a wad because their brains are filled more with shit than substance. Do you. Always.
Writ, Ritual, and Revelation - Where I wax poetic about nothing at all.
2 Mallards and Thyme- Gastronomy, History, Odds & Ends
Become my latest obsession on Goodreads

He keeps me with all of his other pretty things for I am just another pretty thing in a long list of acquisitions.

Tags: