Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Veiling  (Read 3549 times)

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
Re: Veiling
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2014, 02:25:10 pm »
Quote from: beith;146131
You mentioned Christianity, but in my exposure to Christianity women haven't covered their heads in many, many, many years except for some Anabaptists such as the Amish.

Man does that ever make me feel old.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2014, 06:01:39 am »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;145701

Just hanging this on the first post. I was thinking about veiling today and went looking for inter-faith discussion on it. between three Abrahamic-religious women (a Catholic nun, a married Jewish woman, and a Muslim woman) about head covering.

In terms of Islamic coverings: from about 27:30, the Muslim woman talks about the spiritual reasons why a Muslim woman may choose to cover her head. She talks about the importance of not assuming the reasons why a Muslim woman might cover herself, because there may be many reasons, from coercion to piety. Around 28:50, she says "For me as a Muslim woman, I have the right to lie naked on the beach in France, but I don't have the right to cover my hair and work in a government building."

Very interesting discussion all round.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Chabas

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2014, 07:37:45 am »
Quote from: Naomi J;146174

Here's the thing: we have several churches here whose women are only allowed to wear skirts, no pants. Yet, no one makes a problem out of skirts, or considers them to be a religious symbol. A head covering, like a skirt, is a piece of clothing - one that my grandmother wore quite regularly in the past for various reasons. It just ISN'T COMMON NOW. This isn't about religious symbols, or about rules for men vs women. It's about people being recognizably "not one of us".

Same goes for the arguments about the niqab and burqa. We had a man try to vote using a woman's voting pass here recently, who came in wearing a niqab. Officials immediately recognized something was off, and asked the person to step into a separate room with a female official to identify themselves. The man ran off. End of story. Even aside from the exceedingly low number of women who wear these kinds of full coverings - even living in a neighborhood with many conservative muslim inhabitants, I only ever saw women in the chabor, which leaves the face free - it's just not NEARLY as much of an issue as it's made out to be in terms of being able to identify people.

--Chabas

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2014, 09:17:39 am »
Quote from: yewberry;146126
Not (to me) unless they mean something fairly specifically religious to the people wearing them.  Veiling seems to have special status in that regard.

Brina

I couldn't say for certain, since it was just something I saw people walking around with. I would assume it had some sort of religious or spiritual significance if they were wearing them in ritual. But, I could be wrong. I didn't stick around long enough to see any of the open rituals, and I didn't ask anyone specifically why they were wearing them.

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2014, 09:19:48 am »
Quote from: Catherine;146185
I couldn't say for certain, since it was just something I saw people walking around with. I would assume it had some sort of religious or spiritual significance if they were wearing them in ritual. But, I could be wrong. I didn't stick around long enough to see any of the open rituals, and I didn't ask anyone specifically why they were wearing them.

When they where them and when (or if) they're removed would be quite revealing.

I just made myself laugh.  It was a little sad.

Brina

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2014, 09:29:08 am »
Quote from: yewberry;146186
When they where them and when (or if) they're removed would be quite revealing.

I just made myself laugh.  It was a little sad.

Brina

Yeah, maybe a little bit too revealing for me.

ccardinot

• Sr. Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2014, 10:43:23 pm »
Quote from: Jack;146150
Man does that ever make me feel old.

I do cover my hair. I wear crochet berets. I have been doing this part - time, since last summer, when on duty, but not for religious reasons, they are quite practical as a matter of fact.

I am teacher, and as such, I do incur in the risk of having lice from some of my students, also, hair is a plain distraction which I feel thankful when I do not need to be always losing my time and effort taking care of it at classes, taking me off my momentum.

Nowadays, I am considering to cover my head full time. Because I feel more focused and self - assured, no deity has asked me to do so. I do feel like modesty is something nice to maintain.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 10:44:50 pm by ccardinot »

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2014, 11:17:49 pm »
Quote from: ccardinot;148749

*** MOD HAT ON ***

ccardinot,

Again with the purple.  This is your second warning.  If you use anything other than the default text color again you will be banned.

Melamphoros, TC Board Staff.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Tags:

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 213
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal