collapse

Author Topic: How do you feel about the religions you grew up with?  (Read 5663 times)

beith

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: How do you feel about the religions you grew up with?
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2014, 11:59:30 pm »
Quote from: stephyjh;145821

I later converted to Catholicism. When I had just split from my kinda-husband (long story, but I'm thankful for the annulment) and had to have an incomplete miscarriage medically completed to save my life, I needed my religious community more than I ever had before. My priest said that a hysterectomy to remove the body part that had failed would have been acceptable (I was 22!), but my abortion wasn't, and I was excommunicated as a baby-killer.

Wow.  Just...wow.

(((Stephy)))

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2014, 02:31:18 am »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;145815
Whoooa. That is so fascinating! Much, much different than the standard.

I sure do. It's called The Last Podcast on the Left, specifically the episode about gnomes. XD

Oh gods the gnomes. :eek: I don't want to derail the thread, so if you want to know more, you can always PM me. :)

Oh and thanks!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2014, 01:10:54 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;145673
1.) What is your relationship to the faith (or lack of faith, if you were raised in a non-practicing or atheist/agnostic household) you were brought up in?

Was raised vaguely Christian.  Never worked for me, had a polite breakup.  (Discovered a few weeks ago that the pastor at the church I used to attend passed a few years ago and am sort of mourning the man, quietly.)

2.) How did you feel about the predominant religion(s) that were around you when you were growing up?

I frankly didn't notice they existed.  Talking overtly about religion was tacky and I wasn't culturally literate enough to recognise things like "You know, a crucifix on the wall of the living room probably means something".  I felt sorry for the Catholic school kids (right next to my school) because they were stuck with nothing but blacktop for their playground and they gave the impression of sadly jumproping and playing four-square in their prim little uniforms while we sort of boiled out in a disorganised mob for recess....
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Amphibian

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Magpie eclectic feral urban hedge druid(ish)
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2014, 01:24:58 pm »
1.) What is your relationship to the faith (or lack of faith, if you were raised in a non-practicing or atheist/agnostic household) you were brought up in?

The church I was raised in was Lutheran, though I've since discovered that neither of my parents really identified as such (and, in fact, my dad's main reason for choosing the church in question was the strength of the choral program).  As for my relationship: I have a great deal of memories tied up in the service, and the musical influence remains with me to this day. I haven't regularly attended services since shorty after my confirmation, though.

2.) How did you feel about the predominant religion(s) that were around you when you were growing up?

I speak to Lutheran as the 'predominant religion' only because I didn't have exposure to 'majority religion' dogma outside of church. One of my close friends was Jewish, and we acknowledged it as a thing, but deep thelogical discussion isn't the order of the day at the age of eight, being more interested in Lego and Nerf guns.  That said: I find a certain amount of comfort in the structure of ritual, in the communion of shared practice. The emphasis on ortho/doxy/ is what drove me away, though; while I can still recite the Nicene Creed from memory, I don't /believe/ it in the personal-keystone way that seems to be the expectation (and rather vehemently /dis/agree with several of the points, actually).

Outside of church? Almost a nonsubject. In the few instances that it comes up, as far as I can tell the general assumption is that I'm a Lapsed Christian, and I've not got the emotional energy to argue that viewpoint. It's accurate enough, and doesn't open me up to attack. (Plus, I'm still relatively new to pagan paths, and haven't quite nailed down my beliefs and practices enough to explain to myself, much less to potentially-hostile christians.)
All knowledge is worth having.
It doesn't stop being magic just because you know how it works.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2014, 02:20:01 pm »

The first question:

I usually have to answer this question by saying "I need to start with my great-grandfather."

Short version: my mother's side of the family is half-Jewish and half-Catholic (her parents being the respective meeting point of the two.) They were refugees from Vienna starting when she was very small (she was born in 36) and ended up in Northern Ireland, where she was raised religiously Catholic, but with a really large helping of Jewish attitude about most things other than direct religion.

My father was brought up Church of England. He converted to Catholicism to marry my mother, they emigrated to the US, had two kids (my siblings), left the Catholic Church pre-Vatican II (something my mother has since said she regrets), and by the time I came along, were Episcopalian.

I was raised Episcopalian until around when I was 11, my parents started being dissatisfied with a church that was more focused on social goals than religious ones, and looked at returning to Catholicism. We all went through the RCIA program (the process by which people become Catholic - it's a year or more of classes and related stuff), and then I went on to do regular confirmation classes with my grade year.

I was a very active Catholic through the two years of boarding school, and through college, though by the time I got to the end of college, I also had a number of disagreements with specific Catholic teachings.

That said, I think that there's a lot of stuff Catholicism does *right* when it tries - I've tended to hang out in the more social-justice sides of the faith and practice, and the more theologically nuanced ones, and there are a lot of amazing people doing a lot of amazing things.

My mother's now a lay sister in a religious order, and they do some great things about education, immigrant support, and literacy that would fall through social service gaps, for example. And I think that a lot of people forget that for all it *is* a religion with a single head, there are hundreds, maybe thousands of different implementations of what individual congregations or groups focus on, even with a standardised liturgy and leadership.

(I also think there's a lot of stuff where Catholicism as an institution is flawed, or I wish it would get with the 20th century, never mind the 21st. But groups are made up of people, and individual people make stupid decisions, or occasionally do horrible things, and this is not an automatic flaw of the larger group.)

I grew up in a suburb of Boston which was at the time pretty much made up one part of academics (who tended to be not-very-religious with a few outliers, like my father) and one part of long-time Irish, Italian, and some Polish Catholic families, and the two didn't overlap as much as you'd think. (Mom kept getting into conversations with people at parties with the academic types who were surprised she actually cared about the religious parts.)

On the other hand, no one thought twice about people coming into school with ashes on their head, because a substantial portion of the school body was Catholic, or of scheduling meetings around holy days of obligation services for things like Girl Scouts or whatever.

When I went to boarding school, I was distinctly in a minority, both for being Catholic and for being actively religious at all. (This was one of the very historically WASPy boarding schools, which actually has in its original charter that you don't admit Catholics. We actually had a fascinating discussion session with the Jewish student group at one point about various experiences.)

Anyway, I had *far* more pushback about my religious life there than any other time in my life (including since becoming Pagan) - being teased for having ashes on Ash Wednesday, having to explain every time that I'd been at mass and I'd put in my name to be excused from [whatever] for holy days of obligation that overlapped other things, and so on. It was a remarkable lot of fussing for something that had been fairly straightforward the rest of my life.

College was - for all it was an equally WASPy school originally - mostly much easier.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Shezep

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2014, 03:01:45 pm »

The first question:

The second question probably isn't going to be applicable to everyone, but it's one I'd like to ask about:

My house was not religious at all. My dad was a deist, which is barely a step away from atheist. (God probably exists but s/he doesn't need to meddle.) My mom is agnostic, of the variety that would say she is Christian if asked. She occasionally got curious about fringe ideas, but never really seemed devoted to any of them. She told me about a few occurrences when I was younger where I read her mind. I remember watching the original Carl Sagan Cosmos with my dad. I'm glad they've started up the series again. I watch them with my daughter now.

The overall message was "Science!" with a smaller undercurrent of "Science doesn't know everything."

When I was younger, the only religion around was Christianity, of a plain vanilla Protestant sort. I say plain vanilla because there was no mystical stuff involved. Sure, miracles used to happen in the past, but nobody really expected that kind of thing to happen now. I was curious about the whole "god" idea, so I asked to go to vacation bible school. Even at that age, I was somewhat put off by the hand puppets talking about people going to hell.

As I got a little older I kept going to church with my friends, partly because they were my friends, and partly because I was curious. I stayed over at their house and they drove me because my mom wasn't interested.

By the time I got to middle and high school I started to learn that Christianity wasn't the only option. I started reading about different ideas and deciding for myself what I did or did not believe.

I never completely left the skeptical sciencey background behind. The skeptic is always sitting there in the back of my brain wondering if it is all just in my head. Then I counter it by saying that "Who cares, as long as I find the beliefs helpful?" Will the great Nothing care if I choose to believe in a Something? Of course not. The ironic thing is that I tend towards the mystical side of pagan practice. My brain and I have discussions about this often. "You can't change the laws of physics!" "Science doesn't know everything, so shut up." It never ends.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2014, 03:03:01 pm »
Yeah, I know this has probably been done a million times before, but I didn't see any recent threads, and I had a slight twist on the issue I wanted to bring up as well.

The first question:

I was brought up in an Episcopal church (Protestant and, simply, the American form of Anglican).  We did Sunday school every Sunday, and my brothers and I were in church choir.  We attended church until, well, we moved out of my parents' house.

Interestingly enough, we were Episcopal because my mother was Methodist and my father Lutheran, and they wanted a path they could follow together and in which they could raise their children that wouldn't favor one or the other.

My maternal grandmother was evangelical, of a sort.  I heard her speak in tongues when I was three and we were trying to drive up a very icy hill.  (Apparently, I then yelled, "Do it again, Grandma!  Do it again!")  When I was older, I used to joke that when she prayed and said "Dear Lord..." God would say, "What can I do for you, Dot?"

I don't practice Christianity any more, but I have no issues with it.  My issues are with individual (or groups of) people.

The second question probably isn't going to be applicable to everyone, but it's one I'd like to ask about:

I didn't.  I had friends of multiple religions and, when possible, I went to church/temple/meeting/mosque with them.  I can count the number of bad experiences on one hand - I felt completely out of place and odd and judged when I went to an LDS service with a friend, and likewise when I went to an evangelical youth group meeting where other teens were breaking down into tears all around me and begging to be saved...
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Snowdrop

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2014, 06:25:46 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;145778
Oh my gosh, you went to a Waldorf school? I was JUST listening to a podcast that mentioned those! They sounded pretty odd, but kinda cool.

/butts in

They're weird.  I went to one too, and tbh my feelings about it are still profoundly mixed.  I think it's a great idea for the younger grades, but not really the older ones.  Their ideas are really good, but the execution can be kind of awkward.  

I don't know how typical the school I went to was of Waldorf schools as a whole, but they had a tendency to be kind of . . . random, I guess?  Like, they had really strict rules about certain things (no images over 1 inch on clothing), but didn't have any actual disciplinary process if you broke them.  

I liked their emphasis on a more holistic kind of learning, but it started to get frustrating when it made the school feel kind of cut off from the real world.  You know, like, "I'm twelve years old and I have friends who are having sex, but people are still trying to tell me I need to be insulated from the rampant consumerism represented by pictures on clothes."  I think they needed desperately to find a way to give older kids more independence / more connection to the real world.

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2014, 07:42:59 pm »
Quote from: Snowdrop;146078
/butts in

They're weird.  I went to one too, and tbh my feelings about it are still profoundly mixed.  I think it's a great idea for the younger grades, but not really the older ones.  Their ideas are really good, but the execution can be kind of awkward.  

I don't know how typical the school I went to was of Waldorf schools as a whole, but they had a tendency to be kind of . . . random, I guess?  Like, they had really strict rules about certain things (no images over 1 inch on clothing), but didn't have any actual disciplinary process if you broke them.  

I liked their emphasis on a more holistic kind of learning, but it started to get frustrating when it made the school feel kind of cut off from the real world.  You know, like, "I'm twelve years old and I have friends who are having sex, but people are still trying to tell me I need to be insulated from the rampant consumerism represented by pictures on clothes."  I think they needed desperately to find a way to give older kids more independence / more connection to the real world.

All of this. That's why I opted out of the Waldorf high school they all tried to push us into...
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Vale

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2014, 04:04:41 pm »

I ask this second question especially because it's not just the faith (or non-faith) we're raised in that shapes our views of religion and what path we choose. It's also the other religions around us, and I personally think I would've had a much harder time finding my path if I hadn't been raised a devout Roman Catholic in an area full of fiery evangelical protestants.

I was incarcerated in a convent school simply because it was the only English speaking school within 2 hours drive of my home.  I was always the outsider as being a non catholic I was completely excluded from the religious  rites of passage that my fellow (catholic) classmates were undergoing.

I wasn't terribly bothered. My best friend at school was also non catholic (Shinto) so I had someone to talk to and outside I played with Hindu and Buddhist families who were all much more welcoming and accepting of this odd child in their midst. I attended all sorts of rites and ceremonies and grew up surrounded by different Gods and Goddesses.

Moving on I still have a soft spot for both Hinduism and Theravada Buddhism. I cannot say the same about any of the christian based faiths though.

Snowdrop

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2014, 09:22:52 pm »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;146085
All of this. That's why I opted out of the Waldorf high school they all tried to push us into...

Okay, out of curiosity, I have to ask: did yours ever give you an explanation of what the deal with the images on clothes actually was?  

Because at my school they gave us this incredibly bizarre slippery slope argument that basically went, "Well, if we allowed a picture of a flower, we would have to allow someone to come to school in a shirt with porn on it.  Because they're both pictures."

Riothamus12

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: The Nameless Path
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2014, 03:22:29 am »
Yeah, I know this has probably been done a million times before, but I didn't see any recent threads, and I had a slight twist on the issue I wanted to bring up as well.

The first question:

I ask this second question especially because it's not just the faith (or non-faith) we're raised in that shapes our views of religion and what path we choose. It's also the other religions around us, and I personally think I would've had a much harder time finding my path if I hadn't been raised a devout Roman Catholic in an area full of fiery evangelical protestants.

I was not raised with religion in the same way most were. My family is very religious. My father is one of my foremost spiritual advisers as my mother. I wouldn't say I'm a part of some tradition though we are influenced by similar things. My parents didn't really lecture me on any holy scriptures. However my family was in a sense culturally Catholic and for some time Christianity was the only religion I knew. Despite what was done to the priests and priestesses of my ancestors. Despite being tied to the ones who tried to totally wipe out the ancient ways and the worship of the Deities, I do not despise them. I cannot say I do not admire Jesus or that individuals such as St. Francis of Assisi do not have admirable qualities. In a sense he is my family's patron saint. I can't think of one member of my family do does not have a statue or icon of him somewhere in their home. I actually have some very positive feelings toward the Catholic church. I don't care for the old men who run it, but the Catholics I have known have been kinder to me than many other Christians. I don't hate other denominations but some have been more hostile than others.

2. Well most of the people around here are Christian though you have some new agers here and there. There is a very small and rather scattered group of pagans around here. We also have some Unitarians. I don't mind any of them in and of themselves though I have been harassed by the protestant Christians on more than one occasion with varying degrees of severity.  I have to say I've never been fond of the more evangelical sects though and they irritate me deeply. I never liked them. Not even as a smile child. There are some Catholics here and as I said I still have some warm feelings toward them. They've never given me hell for anything and the people in my family, a large number of whom are devout Catholics have been kind to me.
https://inthespiritofconversation.wordpress.com/
I started a blog. Feel free to peruse. It's still in it's early stages and I have to write more, so do bare with me if it's all a little basic so far.

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2014, 03:04:26 pm »
Quote from: Snowdrop;146219
Okay, out of curiosity, I have to ask: did yours ever give you an explanation of what the deal with the images on clothes actually was?  

Because at my school they gave us this incredibly bizarre slippery slope argument that basically went, "Well, if we allowed a picture of a flower, we would have to allow someone to come to school in a shirt with porn on it.  Because they're both pictures."

No, they never did. I think it had something to do with media exposure. After you got to middle school they would allow it, so I'm not quite sure...

But yeah, your slippery slope sounds pretty weird...

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christo-Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2014, 11:04:46 pm »

The first question:

I wasn't brought up in a particular faith, but through the influence of extended family became involved in a particularly nasty form of Pentecostalism for about four years in my childhood.  The beliefs I was taught by my mom were a mixture of New Age ideas, folk beliefs, and that we prayed to God and his Son, Jesus, who my mom thought was some kind of half man, half deity, but not actually God himself.  Before my involvement in organized religion, I just figured out for myself what I believed about things, much the way I do now.

You know, even though I was raised in the Bible belt, I don't remember religion really being a big topic, at least not in my family or amongst my friends or peers.  I knew there were various sorts of Protestants, mainly evangelicals and fundamentalists, and Catholics.  I didn't know anything about liturgical Protestantism until I was older.  I didn't really have an opinion about any of it as a kid except that I didn't believe salvation was dependent on going to church or organized religion.  I can't remember well what I believed about the afterlife except that, at least before I was involved in the Pentecostal church for a period of time, I believed animals had souls, and I thought there were other dimensions and that aliens could reincarnate as human beings.  That last belief seems kind of random to me now, but apparently many people do believe that, and I suppose if reincarnation were true, and aliens existed, it wouldn't be too off the wall, but today I don't believe in that type of reincarnation or afterlife.
My personal moral code:

Love wisely, and do what thou wilt.

Phouka

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2014, 07:22:38 pm »

The first question:

I was raised predominatly Catholic but after my mom was excommunicated for remarrying, not so much. We did go to church periodically,  I needed more. I tried everything Methodist, Episcopalian, Baptist (northern Baptist) and so on.

I found paganism after high school once I was in college. Actually a 7th Day Adventist college. I was even in the church choir.  I found religion, just not a Christian one. I have no animosity towards any Christian faiths. In fact I sometimes go to Mass with my friend Barbara.

Phouka

Tags: