Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Any recommendations for learning about runes?  (Read 3065 times)

TruthStream

• View Profile
Any recommendations for learning about runes?
« on: April 18, 2014, 07:38:12 pm »
So I've been wanting to get into learning about runes for a while now. I don't know where to start, however. Would anyone be able to direct me to books/online resources that are reliable for learning about runes and the mythology behind them?

Also, I have a question for those who are experienced with runes: What are your thoughts on this so called 'blank rune'? I have heard about it, and I have also heard about it being a controversial subject. I've found articles about it being a modern concept and having no evidence that it was used in any time previously, and I became curious about it.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 07:38:55 pm by TruthStream »
"We are often told to avoid failure instead of use it as a step towards problem solving." -Tony Crisp, Your Dream Interpreter

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
Re: Any recommendations for learning about runes?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 08:56:29 pm »
Quote from: TruthStream;145582
Also, I have a question for those who are experienced with runes: What are your thoughts on this so called 'blank rune'? I have heard about it, and I have also heard about it being a controversial subject. I've found articles about it being a modern concept and having no evidence that it was used in any time previously, and I became curious about it.

How much meaning do you usually ascribe to " "?  Do you say "space" when you do your ABCs?

That's how much meaning you should ascribe to the "blank rune".
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

TruthStream

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 11:56:42 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;145587
How much meaning do you usually ascribe to " "?  Do you say "space" when you do your ABCs?

That's pretty much what the articles I read said, which is obviously winning by popular opinion.
"We are often told to avoid failure instead of use it as a step towards problem solving." -Tony Crisp, Your Dream Interpreter

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 12:38:24 am »
Quote from: TruthStream;145621
That's pretty much what the articles I read said, which is obviously winning by popular opinion.

Well, it's also accurate.  The runes are, first and foremost, an alphabet, and the meaning in an alphabet is carried by the symbols, not the spaces.

(It suddenly strikes me that ascribing meaning to a lack of anything to convey meaning is a really good way to get specious results, actually - kind of like those people who assume that every weather event, bird, and passing whimsy they experience is a Sign.)
we rise and fall

TruthStream

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 12:46:20 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;145622
Well, it's also accurate.  The runes are, first and foremost, an alphabet, and the meaning in an alphabet is carried by the symbols, not the spaces.

(It suddenly strikes me that ascribing meaning to a lack of anything to convey meaning is a really good way to get specious results, actually - kind of like those people who assume that every weather event, bird, and passing whimsy they experience is a Sign.)

Haha, yeah, I knew a few of those a few years ago. It was... an experience, to say the least.

Anyways, my need for resources on runes has passed. I went lurking in the Wiki and found a link to a page about them. I should probably do that before I post next time :whis:

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 12:53:10 am »
Quote from: TruthStream;145624
Anyways, my need for resources on runes has passed. I went lurking in the Wiki and found a link to a page about them. I should probably do that before I post next time :whis:

Glad you found some things!  I should probably have poked the wiki to see if there was anything useful there, too, rahter than just answering your question.
we rise and fall

Kyndyl

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 05:36:44 am »
Haha, yeah, I knew a few of those a few years ago. It was... an experience, to say the least.

glad you found the resources you wanted.. if you ever do want to ask about runes.. I have a few sources that have helped me a lot. I also use the anglo-saxon futhork-so as far as the blank rune- yeah it's modern. *grumbles about silly modern authors* the futhork has a rune that serves a better version of what people ascribe to the blank rune. If Gar comes up in a reading. I interpret that as deity saying-stop asking you're not meant to know yet.

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 05:31:20 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;145622

This brought galdr to mind.  As an alphabet, runes are also spoken or chanted or sung or written, not only tossed to see what letters come up (or non-letter via the modern blank rune) within divination.
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 06:05:58 pm »

A single article from our archives will only go so far. When you're ready for more, this site is a particularly well-regarded resource.

There are also many threads about runes in various forums here on TC.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 06:29:18 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;145587

As a sidebar: the ABCs did used to include 'and' in them. As in "X Y Z and, per se, and". Hence the name of ampersand for the & character, which is a ligature of et (Latin for 'and').

What I actually came to point out is that, as a concept, null or zero was considered highly dangerous magic in more than one culture right up into the Middle Ages. I highly recommend the book The Nothing that Is: A Natural History of Zero by Robert Kaplan.  

Zero is the hollow circle that leads to infinity. I really don't understand why it doesn't get more respect.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
  • Religion: Wicca & Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 12:01:17 pm »
Quote from: Allaya;145693
Zero is the hollow circle that leads to infinity. I really don't understand why it doesn't get more respect.

As I understand it, the blank rune is a modern addition. I'd have a tough time interpreting a blank symbol in divination, myself.

Diana Paxton's Taking up the Runes is a good book for learning runes, so I've heard. I have a copy, but I haven't yet had time to really delve into working with runes. I mainly work with Tarot, myself.

Karen

Kyndyl

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 08:46:10 am »
Quote from: dragonfaerie;145756
As I understand it, the blank rune is a modern addition. I'd have a tough time interpreting a blank symbol in divination, myself.

Diana Paxton's Taking up the Runes is a good book for learning runes, so I've heard. I have a copy, but I haven't yet had time to really delve into working with runes. I mainly work with Tarot, myself.

Karen

*nods* her book is very good. it references a lot of other authors and points out difference, not saying anyone is right or wrong, but basically thorsson says "this" Aswynn says "that" and lets the reader choose.

I have a few different books.. and I also use Gallina Krasskova's Runes: Theory and Practice since it's one of the few I've found that actually discusses the futhork.

Tags: