collapse

Author Topic: Other: Your thoughs about vanity.  (Read 1027 times)

mlr52

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.GIN.michaellrichardson.com
Your thoughs about vanity.
« on: April 16, 2014, 09:36:17 pm »
Vanity the other day I was watching a movie and one of the character was looking in a mirror then acussed of being vain.  I always wondered why is looking at yourself considered being vain?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 03:20:23 pm by RandallS »
Light Your Candle, In Love and Service, Blessed Be.
I am a Notary Public for The State of New York, - I do not charge for Notary Fee\'s, I Live in Brooklyn, N.Y.

Voren

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: spiritual
  • Preferred Pronouns: Xe/Xir/Xes
Re: Your thoughs about vanity.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 11:43:37 pm »
Quote from: mlr52;145393
Vanity the other day I was watching a movie and one of the character was looking in a mirror then acussed of being vain.  I always wondered why is looking at yourself considered being vain?

I think it depends on HOW you are looking at yourself (or seeing yourself). I really don't think looking at ones self in the mirror in the act itself is considered being vain. What perhaps makes it vain is to....think you are the most beautiful in the entire world/universe/existence. Vanity; I think, can lead to arrogance, and being conceded and such but I don't see the harm in looking at yourself in the mirror, to take notice of ones self, but that's my thoughts :whis:
-Voren
(aka Sou\'r-Ghi\'den)

The Singularity

Siren

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 09:41:41 am »
Quote from: Voren;145408
I think it depends on HOW you are looking at yourself (or seeing yourself). I really don't think looking at ones self in the mirror in the act itself is considered being vain. What perhaps makes it vain is to....think you are the most beautiful in the entire world/universe/existence. Vanity; I think, can lead to arrogance, and being conceded and such but I don't see the harm in looking at yourself in the mirror, to take notice of ones self, but that's my thoughts :whis:

This. It can also be, IMO, obsessing about one's appearance to the exclusion of anything else, whether in a positive or negative way (i.e. I think it can be just as "vain" to get bogged down in "I'm the ugliest person EVAR" thoughts, which is something I personally had to work on for years). Some of the condemnation of vanity comes from Christianity and the sin of pride, I think, but I think avoiding vanity has its place in paganism too, whether as part of avoiding hubris or just not wanting your brain to be clogged up with constant thoughts about your looks.

That said, I don't think simply looking in a mirror is vain. For starters, how would we ever know if we had spinach in our teeth? ;) I also don't think there's anything wrong with trying to look put-together and/or attractive. I just think obsessing about it is a good idea for many reasons, and there's a difference IMO.

beith

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 09:53:33 am »
Quote from: Siren;145423

That said, I don't think simply looking in a mirror is vain. For starters, how would we ever know if we had spinach in our teeth? ;) I also don't think there's anything wrong with trying to look put-together and/or attractive. I just think obsessing about it is a good idea for many reasons, and there's a difference IMO.

I agree it is more due to obsession or to the exclusion of other, more important things.  Or being so concerned with how you look/how other perceive you that it is detrimental to others.

A classic example, to me, would be the character of Blanche Devereaux from the tv show the Golden Girls.  Most of her problems revolve around how she looks (she's getting older, so she doesn't look as good as in her youth).  She often insults others in an effort to make herself appear more attractive.  She would sulk in her bedroom for days over issues like hitting menopause or looking older than her sorority sisters from college because they had face lifts and she did not (this caused her to leave the party early...so she missed out on her reunion because she wasn't the prettiest one there).  Everything in her life revolved around being popular and how good she looked.  She often neglected the feelings and needs of her friends due to her self-centeredness and need to be the most beautiful woman in Miami.

Just checking in the mirror is not vanity, to me.  Stopping nearly every time you pass your reflection to admire yourself would be.

Siren

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 10:06:12 am »
Quote from: beith;145425
I agree it is more due to obsession or to the exclusion of other, more important things.  Or being so concerned with how you look/how other perceive you that it is detrimental to others.

A classic example, to me, would be the character of Blanche Devereaux from the tv show the Golden Girls.  Most of her problems revolve around how she looks (she's getting older, so she doesn't look as good as in her youth).  She often insults others in an effort to make herself appear more attractive.  She would sulk in her bedroom for days over issues like hitting menopause or looking older than her sorority sisters from college because they had face lifts and she did not (this caused her to leave the party early...so she missed out on her reunion because she wasn't the prettiest one there).  Everything in her life revolved around being popular and how good she looked.  She often neglected the feelings and needs of her friends due to her self-centeredness and need to be the most beautiful woman in Miami.

Just checking in the mirror is not vanity, to me.  Stopping nearly every time you pass your reflection to admire yourself would be.

Really good example.

Also, my post should say "obsessing about it is NOT a good idea." D'oh, I need more coffee this morning.

beith

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 11:10:23 am »
Quote from: Siren;145428
Really good example.

Also, my post should say "obsessing about it is NOT a good idea." D'oh, I need more coffee this morning.

Ha, I guess I do too!  I totally read it as "not a good idea", despite what you had actually typed.

Except coffee upsets my stomach these days so I can only drink tea. :(  I miss coffee!

Tags: