Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Celtic Gods and goddesses book recomendation?  (Read 3089 times)

SilverSpring

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Celtic Gods and goddesses book recomendation?
« on: April 16, 2014, 09:27:30 pm »
I am looking for some good recommendations on the Celtic gods and goddesses.  The internet is wonderful for learning but it is so difficult to separate the true history ( or as much of it as we know) from peoples personal opinions and complete fabrication.  I really feel that the Celtic Pantheon calls to me and I want to learn more about this group from reputable authors.  Any suggestions?

Thanks and Blessed be!

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Celtic Gods and goddesses book recomendation?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 11:16:06 pm »
Quote from: SilverSpring;145391
I am looking for some good recommendations on the Celtic gods and goddesses.  The internet is wonderful for learning but it is so difficult to separate the true history ( or as much of it as we know) from peoples personal opinions and complete fabrication.  I really feel that the Celtic Pantheon calls to me and I want to learn more about this group from reputable authors.  Any suggestions?

When you say 'the Celtic Pantheon', what do you mean?

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 11:23:49 pm »

Thanks and Blessed be!
Celtic Pantheon is vary broad. There are Gaelic Deities, Brythonic Deities, Gaulish Deities as well. A great book to start with is Celtic Mythology by Proinsias MacCana.
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

Gilbride

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 07:23:49 am »
I am looking for some good recommendations on the Celtic gods and goddesses.  The internet is wonderful for learning but it is so difficult to separate the true history ( or as much of it as we know) from peoples personal opinions and complete fabrication.  I really feel that the Celtic Pantheon calls to me and I want to learn more about this group from reputable authors.  Any suggestions? !

http://www.amazon.com/Celtic-Myth-Religion-Traditional-Translated/dp/0786464763

This author has a degree in Celtic Studies from Harvard.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 08:38:58 am »

Thanks and Blessed be!

If you're looking for a beginner-level book, before you jump in heavy academic stuff, I recommend this one. It's good even in spite of the terrible title (which I suspect was chosen by the publishers). It's based on scholarly sources, but it's practical, and the authors make it clear when they're talking about personal practice and when they're talking about information from scholarly sources. Definitely move on to academic stuff from there - but I know that, when I was first learning about these things, I wanted to start with a light overview of the gods, rather than jumping straight into heavy archeology or original mythological sources.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

SilverSpring

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 05:58:37 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;145400
When you say 'the Celtic Pantheon', what do you mean?

Sunflower

I am still unsure as to which branch I want to focus on as I am still exploring. I was hoping to find some basic texts to introduce me to each group so that I can go from there.  I can usually only find consistand information on the most well known goddesses such as Brighid and Cerridwen.  I am looking for a more indepth view of the mythology and pratices behind these gods and goddesses.

SilverSpring

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 06:01:53 pm »
Quote from: Gilbride;145418
http://www.amazon.com/Celtic-Myth-Religion-Traditional-Translated/dp/0786464763

This author has a degree in Celtic Studies from Harvard.

Thank you! I just ordered it on amazon.  It looks very informative on the history behind the Celtic Religions!
Quote from: Naomi J;145419
If you're looking for a beginner-level book, before you jump in heavy academic stuff, I recommend this one. It's good even in spite of the terrible title (which I suspect was chosen by the publishers). It's based on scholarly sources, but it's practical, and the authors make it clear when they're talking about personal practice and when they're talking about information from scholarly sources. Definitely move on to academic stuff from there - but I know that, when I was first learning about these things, I wanted to start with a light overview of the gods, rather than jumping straight into heavy archeology or original mythological sources.

I have been eyeing this book for a while, but as you said the title threw me off and made me hesitate to purchace it.  GLad to get a good recomendation so that I can justify buying it! Thanks!

Quote from: Cryfder;145402
Celtic Pantheon is vary broad. There are Gaelic Deities, Brythonic Deities, Gaulish Deities as well. A great book to start with is Celtic Mythology by Proinsias MacCana.

I will look into that book as well!

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
  • Religion: Wicca & Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 09:08:06 pm »
I am looking for some good recommendations on the Celtic gods and goddesses.

Check out the Celtic Myth Podshow podcast. They've done many of the major Irish mythological stories and are starting on the Welsh. The shows are very well done, and there's lots of good info in the show notes. (And when you're listening to them, you're not worried about how to pronounce the non-English words.)

Karen

SilverSpring

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 10:05:39 pm »
Quote from: dragonfaerie;145476
Check out the Celtic Myth Podshow podcast. They've done many of the major Irish mythological stories and are starting on the Welsh. The shows are very well done, and there's lots of good info in the show notes. (And when you're listening to them, you're not worried about how to pronounce the non-English words.)

Karen

How cool! I can't wait to start listening in.  That will be a great way to learn while i'm at work! Thanks!

Abhainn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 04:17:23 pm »
I am looking for some good recommendations on the Celtic gods and goddesses.

You could try "Gods and Heroes of the Celts" by Marie-Louise Sjoestedt.

Freesia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 05:23:22 pm »
Quote from: SilverSpring;145455

I have been eyeing this book for a while, but as you said the title threw me off and made me hesitate to purchace it.  GLad to get a good recomendation so that I can justify buying it! Thanks!

I try not to judge books by there titles, but I passed on that one before. I think I'll get it the in the next book order.

Tags: