Spirituality in the age of social media by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 08:28:55 pm]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Author Topic: Home: Help with house centipedes?  (Read 4887 times)

beachglass

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Help with house centipedes?
« on: April 16, 2014, 04:04:11 pm »
Does anyone have any tips for keeping out house centipedes? I don't need to exterminate them really; I just hate seeing them in the bathroom sink in the wee hours of the morning. Is there anything they don't like that I could put down? (I have cats, so hopefully something safe for them.)

I haven't had too much luck searching for solutions online (plus it always involves horrible centipede photos), so anything you can suggest would be great! Thanks. :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 10:38:13 am by RandallS »
"The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."  ~ Robert Smith

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Help with house centipedes?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 08:14:08 pm »
Quote from: beachglass;145378
Does anyone have any tips for keeping out house centipedes? I don't need to exterminate them really; I just hate seeing them in the bathroom sink in the wee hours of the morning. Is there anything they don't like that I could put down? (I have cats, so hopefully something safe for them.)

I haven't had too much luck searching for solutions online (plus it always involves horrible centipede photos), so anything you can suggest would be great! Thanks. :)

We had a problem in Hawaii of them crawling into our beds and biting us (well, mom got bit in bed, I got bit in the car) so we strung Christmas lights along the edges of the bedrooms, on the floor. The ones that come in a plastic tube, especially for outdoor use. Centipedes hate light, apparently, and it worked as repellent. We still got them in other parts of the house from time to time, but the Christmas lights cut down a lot.

I'm not sure if that helps. We didn't focus so much on repelling as killing, to be honest, because those bites hurt like hell. Or, well, mom was all for catching them and releasing them far, far away; I was the one armed with a hammer and knife.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

beachglass

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 10:07:47 pm »
Quote from: Morag;145469
We had a problem in Hawaii of them crawling into our beds and biting us (well, mom got bit in bed, I got bit in the car) so we strung Christmas lights along the edges of the bedrooms, on the floor.

They bite?! :eek: I mean, I knew they could bite, if provoked, but they actually just bit you offensively? I may never sleep again.

Sadly, we do have a cat daft enough to eat string lights. A night-light in the bathroom may be doable, though, if I can find a battery-operated one.
"The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."  ~ Robert Smith

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 03:36:58 am »
Quote from: beachglass;145479
They bite?! :eek: I mean, I knew they could bite, if provoked, but they actually just bit you offensively? I may never sleep again.

Sadly, we do have a cat daft enough to eat string lights. A night-light in the bathroom may be doable, though, if I can find a battery-operated one.

Venomous and do bite for no damn reason, yes. Putting something warm on the wound and taking...aspirin, IIRC, will help bring the pain down. When mom was bit I was out in the living room watching a movie when I heard her scream in pain; came running in and she was half asleep yelling about being on fire. She wasn't on fire, but she had about 3 centipede bites. The little bugger had bit her and fled underneath the massage pad/bed thing that occupied the other half of her bed. I hunted him with a hammer and ripped apart her bed to find him, but he escaped. Also called poison control to figure out what to do for her.

The one in the car bit me on the shoulder while I sat in the backseat. It was on the ceiling, fell onto the dog's back (I had my arm on her and felt something fall and wriggle away, but it was dark so I couldn't see it), and then crawled up the seat and onto the ledge between the seat and the back window. As we pulled into the driveway I felt a pinching sensation, and we opened the doors, the lights came on, and there was a six-inch centipede on the ledge. Sadly, that one also escaped before I could get it.

Those are tropical centipedes, however. Are you in the tropics? Depending on where you are you'll get different species and they have varying degrees of danger on the offensive biting scale. (Tropical centipedes are jerks, and huge; we got some 10-inchers in our house.) I think other species are more likely to only bite if provoked.

(Also, if you're allergic to bee stings you should be very careful. The bite of a centipede is annoying and painful to most adults; it can be fatal to those with bee allergies (or small children).)

Anyway. Sucks that your cat will eat string lights -- will she even go after the ones encased in thick plastic? These were like, heavy-duty rope light that we got. Like this stuff.

The lights work I think because most centipedes are nocturnal, so it fools them into thinking it's day and they eff off.

But because the lights may be a no go, I've done some googling for you (because the pictures of centipedes don't bug me so much).

I've seen advice to keep your house dry, as they like damp areas (a dehumidifier will help a lot); move organic materials like compost and mulch and firewood away from the sides of your house; make sure there are no bug-friendly entrances to your house; get rid of all other pests so they have nothing to eat; cayenne pepper sprinkled about thresholds (which apparently isn't *good* for cats, but won't seriously harm them if they get too close -- judgement call on that one); diatomaceous earth; and mint, which is cat-safe (though not in essential oil form, I think).

Some of those things will kill the centipedes, not just repel them (like the diatomaceous earth, and I think the mint). It seems the best way to just repel them is to make sure they can't/won't get in in the first place.

Also, here is a picture-free article.

Hope you can find a solution soon. Centipedes suuuuuck.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

beith

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 11:44:12 am »
Quote from: Morag;145634

Those are tropical centipedes, however. Are you in the tropics? Depending on where you are you'll get different species and they have varying degrees of danger on the offensive biting scale. (Tropical centipedes are jerks, and huge; we got some 10-inchers in our house.) I think other species are more likely to only bite if provoked.

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!  You've outlined the reason I could never live in a tropical climate.  I like the tempering effect that winter has on bugs that are giant and can kill you.

I'm currently about as far south (as close to the equator) as I'll probably ever be able to comfortably live.  Drive about 2 hours south of me and they have a yearly tarantula invasion.  NO NO NO NO NO!

beachglass, good luck with your centipedes.  I have nothing helpful to add other than I'm currently squirming uncomfortably in sympathy.  Anything with 8 or more legs just makes my skin crawl.

beachglass

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 02:00:50 am »

Never, ever have I been more grateful for long, cold, bug-limiting New England winters.

The lights work I think because most centipedes are nocturnal, so it fools them into thinking it's day and they eff off.

But because the lights may be a no go, I've done some googling for you (because the pictures of centipedes don't bug me so much).

Thank you! Some of these things I don't have much control over, since I live in an apartment, but I'm going to try some lights and maybe the pepper or diacetemous earth if those don't help. I found some sticky LED nightlights online that should work if they're bright enough to trick the critters.

Thanks. Your tropical centipede stories have made me feel a bit better about my littler ones, too. Not enough that I'm going to let them move in now, but a bit better. :)

Valentine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: get free; get others free; make new life in the aftermath
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 10:47:06 pm »
Venomous and do bite for no damn reason, yes. Putting something warm on the wound and taking...aspirin, IIRC, will help bring the pain down. When mom was bit I was out in the living room watching a movie when I heard her scream in pain; came running in and she was half asleep yelling about being on fire. She wasn't on fire, but she had about 3 centipede bites. The little bugger had bit her and fled underneath the massage pad/bed thing that occupied the other half of her bed. I hunted him with a hammer and ripped apart her bed to find him, but he escaped. Also called poison control to figure out what to do for her.

The one in the car bit me on the shoulder while I sat in the backseat. It was on the ceiling, fell onto the dog's back (I had my arm on her and felt something fall and wriggle away, but it was dark so I couldn't see it), and then crawled up the seat and onto the ledge between the seat and the back window. As we pulled into the driveway I felt a pinching sensation, and we opened the doors, the lights came on, and there was a six-inch centipede on the ledge. Sadly, that one also escaped before I could get it.

(Also, if you're allergic to bee stings you should be very careful. The bite of a centipede is annoying and painful to most adults; it can be fatal to those with bee allergies (or small children).)

Anyway. Sucks that your cat will eat string lights -- will she even go after the ones encased in thick plastic? These were like, heavy-duty rope light that we got. Like this stuff.

I've seen advice to keep your house dry, as they like damp areas (a dehumidifier will help a lot); move organic materials like compost and mulch and firewood away from the sides of your house; make sure there are no bug-friendly entrances to your house; get rid of all other pests so they have nothing to eat; cayenne pepper sprinkled about thresholds (which apparently isn't *good* for cats, but won't seriously harm them if they get too close -- judgement call on that one); diatomaceous earth; and mint, which is cat-safe (though not in essential oil form, I think).

Some of those things will kill the centipedes, not just repel them (like the diatomaceous earth, and I think the mint). It seems the best way to just repel them is to make sure they can't/won't get in in the first place.

Also, here is a picture-free article.

Different species, luckily!  House centipedes do bite sometimes, but to my knowledge it's painful but not dangerous.  OP, if it's any consolation--because the feathery little bastards wig me out too--they eat roaches voraciously, by all accounts, and roaches are worse?
"Let be be finale of seem." - Wallace Stevens, "The Emperor of Ice-Cream"
"There isn't a way things should be.  There's just what happens, and what we do."
- Terry Pratchett, "A Hat Full of Sky"

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 11:31:18 am »
Quote from: Valentine;145817
Different species, luckily!  House centipedes do bite sometimes, but to my knowledge it's painful but not dangerous.  OP, if it's any consolation--because the feathery little bastards wig me out too--they eat roaches voraciously, by all accounts, and roaches are worse?

The Celt is of the opinion that he doesn't seek out the fluffies, because they perform useful nasty-bug-eating services, but if they show their heads in the kitchen, that proves that the population density is high enough they won't miss that one.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Amphibian

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Magpie eclectic feral urban hedge druid(ish)
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 11:43:56 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;145864
The Celt is of the opinion that he doesn't seek out the fluffies, because they perform useful nasty-bug-eating services, but if they show their heads in the kitchen, that proves that the population density is high enough they won't miss that one.

Likewise in my house with spiders. (we...don't have centipedes. Suspect it may be a climate thing?) I'll let them be or relocate to a less intrusive place most of the time, but if one decides to visit me while I'm taking a shower? Death.
All knowledge is worth having.
It doesn't stop being magic just because you know how it works.

beachglass

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 10:13:18 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;145864

That's pretty much how I feel about them. I can tolerate seeing one in the basement laundry room, which is their own territory, and somewhere I'm likely to be wearing shoes in. If they want to eat roaches, great. When one pops up in the bathroom at 2 A.M. though, I freak out. But I can't actually bring myself near enough to squish it, which usually results in spouse-confusing morning discoveries like, "why are all the extra blankets stuffed up against the bathroom door?"

Tags: