Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Eclipse Tonight  (Read 1693 times)

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Eclipse Tonight
« on: April 15, 2014, 01:08:15 am »
Hi! I'm not quite sure where to put this, so feel free to move it if the need arises.

Anyway, is anybody going to watch (or already watching) the eclipse tonight? If so, I'd love to hear about your experiences with it, maybe see a few photos?

If you find this tomorrow, please feel free to post with stuff. It starts over here in like fifteen minutes, so I'm off! :D:
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

kiarakapow

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Eclipse Tonight
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 01:20:13 am »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;145249
Hi! I'm not quite sure where to put this, so feel free to move it if the need arises.

Anyway, is anybody going to watch (or already watching) the eclipse tonight? If so, I'd love to hear about your experiences with it, maybe see a few photos?

If you find this tomorrow, please feel free to post with stuff. It starts over here in like fifteen minutes, so I'm off! :D:

I thought it'll be starting in around an hour??? Either way I'm trying to stay up for it. :)

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 01:37:29 am »
Quote from: kiarakapow;145251
I thought it'll be starting in around an hour??? Either way I'm trying to stay up for it. :)

I guess that's when it really picks up.
Good luck on the staying up!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 06:50:05 am »
Quote from: kiarakapow;145251

Not on the East Coast.

I figured we wouldn't see any of it (socked in as it usually is in April here), but I woke up to catch the last hint of blood moving off the moon's face.

Brina

kiarakapow

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 01:52:38 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;145264
Not on the East Coast.

I figured we wouldn't see any of it (socked in as it usually is in April here), but I woke up to catch the last hint of blood moving off the moon's face.

Brina

I figured something off was going on! I knocked out at around 230 anyhow so not a huge deal.

Also there will be an eclipse every 6 months in the next 2 years, I believe. So I'll have another chance to see it. (probably not the blood moon unfortunately)

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 07:54:32 pm »
Quote from: kiarakapow;145294
(probably not the blood moon unfortunately)

The moon appears in some reddish shade during totality, in all total lunar eclipses. I gathered from my astronomy sources that this one wasn't actually expected to be a 'blood' color, despite media hype about the 'blood moon'; it was more likely to be orangey. (Alas, I can't confirm if this was what happened; too much cloud cover here.)

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

kiarakapow

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 08:19:42 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;145321
The moon appears in some reddish shade during totality, in all total lunar eclipses. I gathered from my astronomy sources that this one wasn't actually expected to be a 'blood' color, despite media hype about the 'blood moon'; it was more likely to be orangey. (Alas, I can't confirm if this was what happened; too much cloud cover here.)

Sunflower

That makes sense because I heard a different color from every source. I wasn't sure if it was going to be red, pink, or even orange like you say.

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 11:25:57 pm »
Quote from: kiarakapow;145324
That makes sense because I heard a different color from every source. I wasn't sure if it was going to be red, pink, or even orange like you say.

Apparently there are going to be four (three?) more of these in the next two years.

kiarakapow

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 12:16:17 am »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;145341
Apparently there are going to be four (three?) more of these in the next two years.

Yup! There's three more left. The next one is in October(around the 8th or maybe 18th....), forgot the exact date though. They're all in 6 month intervals though so that's pretty cool!

beith

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 10:17:13 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;145321

Sunflower

It was sort of a dusty, orangish-brown color to my eye.  It was still amazing and experiencing it was worth being tired all day yesterday due to lack of sleep.

I was a big fan of the tiny star next to the moon during the eclipse as well, though for no good reason.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 10:18:09 am by beith »

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 10:44:07 am »
Quote from: beith;145353
It was sort of a dusty, orangish-brown color to my eye.  It was still amazing and experiencing it was worth being tired all day yesterday due to lack of sleep.

I was a big fan of the tiny star next to the moon during the eclipse as well, though for no good reason.

Wasn't the tiny star Mars?

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 11:29:31 am »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;145249

I woke up for no reason around 1am and couldn't get back to sleep. Around 2, I thought, "hey, why don't I go outside and look at the moon?" Big letdown. The sky was completely clouded over and it was raining.:(
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

beith

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 11:36:53 am »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;145357
Wasn't the tiny star Mars?

Random googling tells me it is the star Spica, but I didn't take the time to actually find a good source (e.g., NASA) for that.

Adding that if I recall correctly, it was a blueish color, not reddish as I would expect Mars to be.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 11:37:57 am by beith »

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 11:52:53 am »
Quote from: beith;145367
Random googling tells me it is the star Spica, but I didn't take the time to actually find a good source (e.g., NASA) for that.

Adding that if I recall correctly, it was a blueish color, not reddish as I would expect Mars to be.

That makes a little more sense. I could see two stars Monday night: one was red and one was blue-ish.

beachglass

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 01:55:28 pm »
Quote from: beith;145353

Nice pic! Unfortunately we had 100% cloud cover here too. I hope with the next few coming up we have better luck.
"The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."  ~ Robert Smith

Tags: