collapse

Author Topic: Experiences/UPG with Sarasvati or Benten?  (Read 1095 times)

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Experiences/UPG with Sarasvati or Benten?
« on: April 13, 2014, 06:28:32 am »
Hello, all!

I am a devotee of the Pan-Asian goddess Sarasvati, who is worshiped by Hindus, Buddhists, and Jains across South and East Asia, and is also found in Japan under the name Benten or Benzaiten. She's very popular in India with Hindus, because of her association with learning. (Her poster often hangs in schools, for example).

It was her association with knowledge and academics that I believe led her to choose me. My Asperger's syndrome has given me certain gifts (even though it is true, these gifts have come at a cost). I am highly verbal and have an eidetic memory. I have also chosen to take a career in academia; my dream profession is that of a graduate-level history professor, free to do all the research I want. I plan to dedicate myself to Sarasvati formally, to follow her and live the path of the scholar.

Here are some things I have discovered:

She favors lotus incense, and likes offerings of high-quality milk. In fact, I have offered her milk so often that just drinking a glass automatically calms my mind, no matter how agitated I am. She also seems to appreciate it if the milk is supplemented with a good slice of cheddar cheese.

She also doesn't do pendulum readings in the usual way, at least not for me. Instead, with me, ANY definite movement of the pendulum (as opposed to the little wobble you get when your arm is at rest) is a "yes," and she indicates a "no" by suddenly jerking the pendulum to a stop. It's quite impressive! During my sessions, the pendulum will circle one way, then another, swing side to side...then if I ask a silly question it will simply jerk to a dead stop and stay incredibly still. Unnaturally still, in fact, as if something were holding the end.

So, please share your own experiences with Sarasvati and/or Benten! I will be glad to hear them.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

OfSunlight&Shadows

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Experiences/UPG with Sarasvati or Benten?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 05:01:48 am »
Quote from: Redfaery;145118
Hello, all!

I am a devotee of the Pan-Asian goddess Sarasvati, who is worshiped by Hindus, Buddhists, and Jains across South and East Asia, and is also found in Japan under the name Benten or Benzaiten. She's very popular in India with Hindus, because of her association with learning. (Her poster often hangs in schools, for example).

It was her association with knowledge and academics that I believe led her to choose me. My Asperger's syndrome has given me certain gifts (even though it is true, these gifts have come at a cost). I am highly verbal and have an eidetic memory. I have also chosen to take a career in academia; my dream profession is that of a graduate-level history professor, free to do all the research I want. I plan to dedicate myself to Sarasvati formally, to follow her and live the path of the scholar.

Here are some things I have discovered:

She favors lotus incense, and likes offerings of high-quality milk. In fact, I have offered her milk so often that just drinking a glass automatically calms my mind, no matter how agitated I am. She also seems to appreciate it if the milk is supplemented with a good slice of cheddar cheese.

She also doesn't do pendulum readings in the usual way, at least not for me. Instead, with me, ANY definite movement of the pendulum (as opposed to the little wobble you get when your arm is at rest) is a "yes," and she indicates a "no" by suddenly jerking the pendulum to a stop. It's quite impressive! During my sessions, the pendulum will circle one way, then another, swing side to side...then if I ask a silly question it will simply jerk to a dead stop and stay incredibly still. Unnaturally still, in fact, as if something were holding the end.

So, please share your own experiences with Sarasvati and/or Benten! I will be glad to hear them.

Saraswati was always really calming to me. She was gentle in her guidance and presence. I was always big on learning, reading, researching and art (all my life) and she seemed pleased at times with my endeavors. I gave her offerings of things I made - paintings, poems, etc. (I am severely allergic to incense and scents so that was a no-go). I also lit candles for her (which reminded me of her as well - a light and inspiration in darkness). Her altar area included a large brass statue of her along with a collage of art that I made for her. It wasn't anything fancy, but it included things associated with her - rivers, lotuses, swans, etc. At the time, that altar was on my desk, which I thought was fitting. I never really prayed to her for anything, though I was given what I believe was inspiration on her part for many of the poems and things I created. I would always thank her, and often dedicate the work to her. My relationship with her wasn't, at that time, very deep - it was more like the both of us sailing on a gentle river together, if that makes sense. She always made me smile and was very patient and forgiving.

:)

I hope this helps!

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Experiences/UPG with Sarasvati or Benten?
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 10:23:04 am »
Quote from: OfSunlight&Shadows;146365
Saraswati was always really calming to me. She was gentle in her guidance and presence. I was always big on learning, reading, researching and art (all my life) and she seemed pleased at times with my endeavors. I gave her offerings of things I made - paintings, poems, etc. (I am severely allergic to incense and scents so that was a no-go). I also lit candles for her (which reminded me of her as well - a light and inspiration in darkness). Her altar area included a large brass statue of her along with a collage of art that I made for her. It wasn't anything fancy, but it included things associated with her - rivers, lotuses, swans, etc. At the time, that altar was on my desk, which I thought was fitting. I never really prayed to her for anything, though I was given what I believe was inspiration on her part for many of the poems and things I created. I would always thank her, and often dedicate the work to her. My relationship with her wasn't, at that time, very deep - it was more like the both of us sailing on a gentle river together, if that makes sense. She always made me smile and was very patient and forgiving.

:)

I hope this helps!

Yeah, this pretty much matches with my experience. I think Sarasvati picked me because I kept praying to Benten to help me with my schoolwork. That was kind of like knocking right on her door. I mean, she IS Benten, in my experience, just when she's Benten, she does slightly different things. I'm very, very serious about my academics. I have Asperger's, and I get obsessed about topics. Especially history. I prefer reading nonfiction, and I love research. I could do research all day.

I've also found that when I pray to her out loud, a lot of times she directly inspires my words. That's really meaningful to me, because I'm normally tongue-tied unless I've written something up in advance. But If I'm praying to Sarasvati, I can make these quite beautiful speeches that just feel effortless.

It's a shame about the incense. I couldn't imagine not using it, myself. It's very effective in helping me focus on what I'm doing. Do you still honor Sarasvati? I bet if you got some waterlily or lotus items, they'd go over very well. I have a blue waterlily candle holder that she really likes. She seems to prefer white lotuses and blue waterlilies.

I've also found that doing yoga is something she likes. I do yoga and try to visualize her, or just white lotuses. I mentally chant the mantras, too.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Tags: