Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 08:57:21 am]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Author Topic: Thelema - Magic Necessary?  (Read 2581 times)

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christo-Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Thelema - Magic Necessary?
« on: April 13, 2014, 01:16:57 am »
I have been reading about Thelema and find some of the concepts helpful and similar to beliefs and practices I have been developing.  I am not going to necessarily convert or identify with Thelema -- I tend to be cautious about joining things because it seemed to never work out well in the past, though I don't rule it out -- but I do draw on other insights when they are helpful for me, but I have my own rituals and interpretation of magic and am not really interested in drawing on magical ceremonies outside of what I already do (which, while what I do qualifies as magic as I understand it, a transformative process, does not involve visualization etc and is more like prayer/ritual).  Besides, I am more inclined towards meditation and prayer.

That doesn't mean I couldn't work with particular magic techniques if I needed to, but if I did, I would be more inclined to do it in a group and not really make it a primary part of my path.

Is it really necessary that Thelemites do rituals or magic?  I have read some blogs and other comments where some Thelemites claim that all is necessary is to discover and do one's true will and that may or may not involve ceremonies.
My personal moral code:

Love wisely, and do what thou wilt.

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
Re: Thelema - Magic Necessary?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 12:00:52 pm »
Quote from: EclecticWheel;145116
Is it really necessary that Thelemites do rituals or magic?  I have read some blogs and other comments where some Thelemites claim that all is necessary is to discover and do one's true will and that may or may not involve ceremonies.

I actually just sat here trying to remember if I have ever met or even read online of a Thelemite who doesn't do rituals. I couldn't think of a single one, but maybe I just don't know enough Thelemites.

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 02:21:10 pm »

Technically no, Thelema can just be interpreted as a philosophy, hower if you're into it more religiously, a lot of the rituals related to it can be classed as magic(k)al. A lot if the symbolism is magickal as well, so more often than not Thelemites will do ritual magick, but it's not a necessity.
Semper Fidelis

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 02:23:59 pm »
Quote from: Micheál;145135
Technically no, Thelema can just be interpreted as a philosophy, hower if you're into it more religiously, a lot of the rituals related to it can be classed as magic(k)al. A lot if the symbolism is magickal as well, so more often than not Thelemites will do ritual magick, but it's not a necessity.
Pretty much what Micheal said. Thelema can be approached in many different ways.
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

annabolton

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 11:53:48 am »
I have been reading about Thelema and find some of the concepts helpful and similar to beliefs and practices I have been developing.  I am not going to necessarily convert or identify with Thelema -- I tend to be cautious about joining things because it seemed to never work out well in the past, though I don't rule it out -- but I do draw on other insights when they are helpful for me, but I have my own rituals and interpretation of magic and am not really interested in drawing on magical ceremonies outside of what I already do (which, while what I do qualifies as magic as I understand it, a transformative process, does not involve visualization etc and is more like prayer/ritual).  Besides, I am more inclined towards meditation and prayer.

That doesn't mean I couldn't work with particular magic techniques if I needed to, but if I did, I would be more inclined to do it in a group and not really make it a primary part of my path.

Well for me personally and from what I have seen for most thelemites, magick and Thelema go hand in hand like Christianity and prayer or Buddhism and meditation...but that doesn't mean that you can't take inspiration from Thelema and do things in the way that feels right for you at this time... remember "do what thou wilt" so magick might not be in your true will or it may be? Only you can find out.

random417

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 10:49:23 pm »

I actually did know a Thelemite who didn't do any of what most of us would likely consider magick. He latched on to Crowley's obsession with the East, and studied more Eastern systems of working. It worked well for him, but he did find himself kind of... on the outside of both sides of his practice. It was a very lonely path for him, but spiritually it did work.
"Let it be that state of manyhood bound and loathing. So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will. Do that and no other shall say nay. For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is in every way perfect."

AL 1:42-44

Tags: