collapse

Author Topic: Battling near-crippling bout of Anx/Dep.  (Read 2085 times)

Arthurine

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Battling near-crippling bout of Anx/Dep.
« on: April 09, 2014, 05:14:06 am »
(Tw for anxiety, depression, induced vomiting)

I kind of just need to vent, so I know I'm not alone.

I have so much trouble telling anyone when I am really in danger of hurting myself (usually mentally/emotionally rather than physically) and yesterday I finally told my parents and my partner that things had gotten pretty severe in my head.

For the first time in my life a couple of weeks ago I induced vomiting because the sick, sad part of my brain convinced me that I was "so worthless" I deserved to be hungry and feel wretched, which is not the way I usually react when depressed; I tend to get hopeless, passive and apathetic, rather than actively self-destructive. I know from years of therapy and practice how to motivate myself when I'm feeling passive, but I don't know how to combat or ease urges to hurt myself.

My parents and my partner are all wonderfully supportive people who are here for me, but somewhere in my chemistry there're engraved these anxiety-dictated commandments saying "BE USEFUL TO OTHER PEOPLE AT ALL TIMES" and "DON'T UPSET OTHER PEOPLE BY TELLING THEM ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS."

When I feel myself heading for an anxious episode I generally have the presence of mind to take my (as-needed) medicine, but sometimes they just spring on me and I wind up doing things that I know will disappoint my loved ones and myself when I'm doing them, but that same sick part of my brain says I deserve to make it obvious how much of a failure I am. In spare moments I catch myself thinking that anyone who has a good opinion of me only feels that way because I've fooled them.

This is really frightening to me because these are not my normal thought patterns, even when I'm depressed/anxious. I have always had very good self-esteem re: my body and soul, and this is not the beginning of an eating disorder or complete breakdown. No need to worry on that front. The one time I have gotten to the point where I couldn't function on even the most basic level, it was very sudden and my stress levels were much higher.

So the situation isn't really an emergency. It just sucks. It feels awful to have so much trouble getting myself to do dishes/laundry/bathe/go to bed on time (like I'm not doing right now.) It feels awful for my internal monologue to constantly be extremely degrading. I hate feeling like I have gained some footing in the mental health department only to slip down and scrape my metaphorical knees. :/

Today I made an appointment with my psychiatrist and tomorrow with my therapist; my mom is going to help me get to both.

All I guess I'm asking for is good vibes.
Remind me via brainwaves that I'm still growing inside and I will acquire more skills, and find a way to better the world while still being me.

Remind me that just because I spill out of my clothes and can't afford more, that doesn't mean I am doomed to ill-fitting clothing. I can get back to more exercise in the fresh air and yoga and yummy veggies and healthier skin and less stress-eating and shaming myself.

Remind me that I don't need to be skinny, I just need to be healthy.

Remind me that even though I left college my second semester on medical leave, and that's been 3 years ago, going back this fall won't be a disaster.

Remind me that my brain chemistry doesn't get a free pass to bully my soul.

Remind me that I'm here, I'm not alone, not worthless.

Thank you so much for reading; just that by itself helps.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 05:14:59 am by Arthurine »

With any luck, I\'ll grow up to be Nanny Ogg.    

Gilbride

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Battling near-crippling bout of Anx/Dep.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 06:45:29 am »
Quote from: Arthurine;144792
Remind me that I'm here, I'm not alone, not worthless. Thank you so much for reading; just that by itself helps.

May Brighid bless you...

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 07:32:55 am »
Remind me via brainwaves that I'm still growing inside and I will acquire more skills, and find a way to better the world while still being me.

Remind me that just because I spill out of my clothes and can't afford more, that doesn't mean I am doomed to ill-fitting clothing. I can get back to more exercise in the fresh air and yoga and yummy veggies and healthier skin and less stress-eating and shaming myself.

Remind me that even though I left college my second semester on medical leave, and that's been 3 years ago, going back this fall won't be a disaster.

I have had these same conversations with my soul over the last ten years. You've got all my spare brainwaves at your disposal. You are of value, you are not alone, and you can kick some ass at school this fall.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

baduhmtisss

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Undefined
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 08:51:20 am »

I have so much trouble telling anyone when I am really in danger of hurting myself (usually mentally/emotionally rather than physically) and yesterday I finally told my parents and my partner that things had gotten pretty severe in my head.

For the first time in my life a couple of weeks ago I induced vomiting because the sick, sad part of my brain convinced me that I was "so worthless" I deserved to be hungry and feel wretched, which is not the way I usually react when depressed; I tend to get hopeless, passive and apathetic, rather than actively self-destructive. I know from years of therapy and practice how to motivate myself when I'm feeling passive, but I don't know how to combat or ease urges to hurt myself.

My parents and my partner are all wonderfully supportive people who are here for me, but somewhere in my chemistry there're engraved these anxiety-dictated commandments saying "BE USEFUL TO OTHER PEOPLE AT ALL TIMES" and "DON'T UPSET OTHER PEOPLE BY TELLING THEM ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS."

When I feel myself heading for an anxious episode I generally have the presence of mind to take my (as-needed) medicine, but sometimes they just spring on me and I wind up doing things that I know will disappoint my loved ones and myself when I'm doing them, but that same sick part of my brain says I deserve to make it obvious how much of a failure I am. In spare moments I catch myself thinking that anyone who has a good opinion of me only feels that way because I've fooled them.

This is really frightening to me because these are not my normal thought patterns, even when I'm depressed/anxious. I have always had very good self-esteem re: my body and soul, and this is not the beginning of an eating disorder or complete breakdown. No need to worry on that front. The one time I have gotten to the point where I couldn't function on even the most basic level, it was very sudden and my stress levels were much higher.

So the situation isn't really an emergency. It just sucks. It feels awful to have so much trouble getting myself to do dishes/laundry/bathe/go to bed on time (like I'm not doing right now.) It feels awful for my internal monologue to constantly be extremely degrading. I hate feeling like I have gained some footing in the mental health department only to slip down and scrape my metaphorical knees. :/

Today I made an appointment with my psychiatrist and tomorrow with my therapist; my mom is going to help me get to both.

(((((Arthurine)))))

I understand the anxiety and depression, and am going through a bad time myself with similar issues. Good for you for going to your psychiatrist and therapist.
Undefined religion | Parrot Mom | Disaster Reservist

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 11:10:02 am »

Good thoughts and vibes to you. I understand how you feel.
Best of luck. Kick ass. :)
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 12:02:45 pm »

I'm turning on my emergency rainbow LED candles for amazing thoughts. I know what it's like to battle with just about everything you spoke of. You're definitely not alone in this crazy, psychotic world.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 02:03:59 pm »

Hugs if you like them, a tray of comforting things if not. You are definitely not alone with this. I've been doing battle with anxiety and depression for a long time (and yes, self-harm ideation too!).

You deserve to take up space in the world. You don't have to earn that worth. Even if you can't bring yourself to believe that right now, it's absolutely true.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 05:14:52 pm »

(((Arthurine)))

I can do more than vibe-sending for this one: you might find this thread helpful.

You're right, it doesn't. (And that seems like a useful way to phrase it, which I might borrow in future, if you don't mind.)

You are here. You're not alone; you have supportive family and a supportive partner, and you have fierce Cauldronites, many of whom know what it's like to deal with depression and anxiety. And YOU ARE WORTHY.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 06:30:11 pm »

You are not alone. You are worthy and valuable.  (((Arthurine)))

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 07:22:55 pm »

You have worth and are not optional.  (((Arthurine)))
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Arthurine

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 02:14:06 am »
Quote from: missgraceless;144815
I'm turning on my emergency rainbow LED candles for amazing thoughts. I know what it's like to battle with just about everything you spoke of. You're definitely not alone in this crazy, psychotic world.

Ahhhhh thank you so much everyone; I didn't anticipate this much support but I'm so thankful for it. Right now all I can do is take baby steps, but I really am feeling significantly better just from getting all of that off my chest.

I have sort of become a hermit over the past couple of years due to increasing social anxiety, and at this point I don't really have a community I feel I belong in here; not in school, not much of a friend group to speak of, not currently working. I am not great at figuring out how to join conversations or introduce myself, and so I don't know anyone here too well yet, but all of you guys on the cauldron are the closest thing I've had to real friends in a while. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

baduhmtisss

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Undefined
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 07:36:11 am »
Quote from: Arthurine;144890
Ahhhhh thank you so much everyone; I didn't anticipate this much support but I'm so thankful for it. Right now all I can do is take baby steps, but I really am feeling significantly better just from getting all of that off my chest.

I have sort of become a hermit over the past couple of years due to increasing social anxiety, and at this point I don't really have a community I feel I belong in here; not in school, not much of a friend group to speak of, not currently working. I am not great at figuring out how to join conversations or introduce myself, and so I don't know anyone here too well yet, but all of you guys on the cauldron are the closest thing I've had to real friends in a while. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

That's what community is for, and I'm glad you're feeling better!
Undefined religion | Parrot Mom | Disaster Reservist

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 04:22:37 pm »
Quote from: Arthurine;144890

So glad to hear we could help! Something that helps me a lot when I'm low is Boggle the Owl on Tumblr. I'm on Tapatalk right now so I can't link, but just Google him.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 05:25:10 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;144981
Something that helps me a lot when I'm low is Boggle the Owl on Tumblr. I'm on Tapatalk right now so I can't link, but just Google him.

Boggle the Owl

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Arthurine

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 05:49:22 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;144981
So glad to hear we could help! Something that helps me a lot when I'm low is Boggle the Owl on Tumblr. I'm on Tapatalk right now so I can't link, but just Google him.

Oh gracious, I forgot about boggle! This is wonderful! Thank you!

Tags: