Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Runic Invention Concept  (Read 2129 times)

Asterix

• View Profile
Runic Invention Concept
« on: April 08, 2014, 02:20:06 am »
I was doing some research on runes earlier, and I wondered about the nature of their existence.  In essence, runes are simply unique icons associated with particular human qualities.  Ultimately, their magic (I use the term loosely, as magic isn't my forte) is derived from their connotative use in rituals and spiritual texts.  If this is true, couldn't every individual just invent a system of runes they like?  Furthark is a very complete runic system, but just isn't flexible or familiar enough for some seers.  Perhaps simply concocting some symbols and identifying them with whatever traits one likes (then imbuing them with divine or magical properties) would be more suitable than using a traditional system.  Naturally, if everyone could just use their own ideas the organized structure of runes would inevitably collapse.  But would this be a bad thing?  Ideas, thoughts, concerns?

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Runic Invention Concept
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 02:36:55 am »
Quote from: Asterix;144733
couldn't every individual just invent a system of runes they like?  Furthark is a very complete runic system, but just isn't flexible or familiar enough for some seers.  

Perhaps simply concocting some symbols and identifying them with whatever traits one likes (then imbuing them with divine or magical properties) would be more suitable than using a traditional system.  

Naturally, if everyone could just use their own ideas the organized structure of runes would inevitably collapse.  But would this be a bad thing?  Ideas, thoughts, concerns?

The way I understand it, systems such as runes, elemental systems, or even playing cards that turned into oracle cards--are all traditional for a reason. They've lasted generations, and can pretty much be attributed to the collective personal gnosis of a society. True, that society can change until the set-in-stone system doesn't quite fit. So, it's a toss-up between tailoring something to suit your doubtless expansive personal gnosis, and something that is "bigger than you" and therefore has elements to which to aspire (given that more than a few ideas or principles of an ancient society can still sort of cradle your own spiritual growth in enough aspects to be worth pursuing.)

You might find this article here helpful. I know I did!
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

yennork

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 07:38:46 am »
I was doing some research on runes earlier, and I wondered about the nature of their existence.  In essence, runes are simply unique icons associated with particular human qualities.  Ultimately, their magic (I use the term loosely, as magic isn't my forte) is derived from their connotative use in rituals and spiritual texts.  If this is true, couldn't every individual just invent a system of runes they like?  Furthark is a very complete runic system, but just isn't flexible or familiar enough for some seers.  Perhaps simply concocting some symbols and identifying them with whatever traits one likes (then imbuing them with divine or magical properties) would be more suitable than using a traditional system.  Naturally, if everyone could just use their own ideas the organized structure of runes would inevitably collapse.  But would this be a bad thing?  Ideas, thoughts, concerns?

My bolding.

First thing first, the runes are letters for writing things down. They have been used for everything from prayers to rude graffitti. Not to mention rune stones, many of them made for and by Christians.

They have magic uses as well, I'm certainly not denying that! But their primary use was as an alphabet. Spelling optional.:ange:

But when they were safely out of fashion they seemed mystichat and archaic. Rather like the Hebrew letters adorning most grimoires. They are basically letters to write things down with as well, holy writ or tabloid gossip. Or magic.
Never mind what should be or what might be or what ought to be. It\'s what things are that\'s important.

Granny Weatherwax

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 07:47:39 am »
Quote from: yennork;144738
First thing first, the runes are letters for writing things down. They have been used for everything from prayers to rude graffitti. Not to mention rune stones, many of them made for and by Christians.

Yep.  Nothing inherently sacred about poop jokes...of which there are abundant examples.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 07:56:49 am »
Ultimately, their magic (I use the term loosely, as magic isn't my forte) is derived from their connotative use in rituals and spiritual texts.

That's one theory as to why they work. There are others, ranging fronm their use by many people over many, many years gives them more power than symbols created very recently and only used by a few to they really were given their power by deities.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Myst Moonlight

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 10:02:14 am »
Quote from: triple_entendre;144735
The way I understand it, systems such as runes, elemental systems, or even playing cards that turned into oracle cards--are all traditional for a reason. They've lasted generations, and can pretty much be attributed to the collective personal gnosis of a society. True, that society can change until the set-in-stone system doesn't quite fit. So, it's a toss-up between tailoring something to suit your doubtless expansive personal gnosis, and something that is "bigger than you" and therefore has elements to which to aspire (given that more than a few ideas or principles of an ancient society can still sort of cradle your own spiritual growth in enough aspects to be worth pursuing.)

You might find this article here helpful. I know I did!

The system o runes is indeed ancient, and they are so because work. You could devise your own system but can you be sure it would work. I personally think it is better to use something tried and tested

beith

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 01:04:35 pm »
Quote from: yennork;144738

First thing first, the runes are letters for writing things down. They have been used for everything from prayers to rude graffitti.

Exactly this.  And tarot was originally just a deck of playing cards for card games until people began using tarot for divination purposes.

People use a variety of tools for divination.  Runes, ogham, other writing systems, pendulums, divining rods, crystals in the shape of balls, mirrors, etc.  I don't think there is anything specific about the tool itself, it is just up to the individual to choose the right tool for the job, and the use of the tools through time by many has refined their "rules" for use (e.g., assigning meaning to particular tarot cards).

For example, if I'm putting up vinyl siding I like to cut it to size using a circular saw with the blade in backwards.  One could use other methods: scissors, shears, a knife, dipping the end you don't want into liquid nitrogen and shattering it off, etc.  I choose to use the circular saw because, for me, it is the best tool for the job.  I could make up a complex system of divination using roman numerals, but for me using ogham has, so far, been the best tool for the job.  Because it works (or I think it does, anyway), I haven't felt the need to either seek out another divination tool or create my own.

A rock was just a rock until someone decided they could use it as a hammer against this other type of rock and make a spear tip.  I feel the same way about divination tools, and choose the descriptor "tools" for that reason.

peacefulpresents

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 11:19:19 am »
 In essence, runes are simply unique icons associated with particular human qualities.  Ultimately, their magic (I use the term loosely, as magic isn't my forte) is derived from their connotative use in rituals and spiritual texts.  If this is true, couldn't every individual just invent a system of runes they like?  Naturally, if everyone could just use their own ideas the organized structure of runes would inevitably collapse.  But would this be a bad thing?  Ideas, thoughts, concerns?

Well, the runes are a magical alphabet.  Symbolically and as a system, they can describe every aspect of existence.  They connect to seasonal cycles and cycles of existence that are natural laws.  They are invested with power, and because many individuals over time have honored them, they continue to be powerful.  I think they are stronger than a symbol you might create yourself because of this collective energy and the connection to deities.

It is a lot like Hindu mantras.  The ancient yogis used the mantras to access deep spiritual states, and many worshippers over time have also connected with the words in the mantras.  So, the mantras are imbued with this collective transcendent power.

It is also like Reiki symbols, which are connected to esoteric Tibetan Buddhist healing symbols.  They have a strong spiritual energy to them that gives them their power.

But you can definitely create your own symbols and charge them with your personal power and use them in your magickal workings!  In fact, I first read about doing so in a book about runes. :)  I have several symbols I created myself.  They don't have the collective power that the runes do, but they serve my purposes.
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*´¨)
(¸.·´ (¸*´¨(♥ May Your Day Be Filled with Peace, Love, Joy, and Beauty
(¸.·´ (¸.·´♥ http://peacefulpresents.wordpress.com/ - Healing Blog, Reiki, & Intuitive Readings

yennork

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 02:56:49 pm »
Quote from: peacefulpresents;144813
Well, the runes are a magical alphabet.

No, they are not. They are an alphabet that can be used in magic, but not magic in themself.
Never mind what should be or what might be or what ought to be. It\'s what things are that\'s important.

Granny Weatherwax

Kyndyl

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 05:59:21 am »
From everything that's survived they probably began as an alphabet, but the application and repeated use of them for magick over centuries has added to their usefulness as a divinatory tool. I very much agree with the idea that repeated use and practice creates a groove in the universe that others maybe able to access following the same or similar procedures. There are several systems similar to runes. and yes you could invent your own. if that's what works for you, do it, but it probably won't reach the same level that many people find in Runes.  for me.. Runes work a lot better than Tarot, or pendulums or anything else that I've found. It's not just traits that people like or find appealing, it's the elements of their existence. if you had a symbol for the sun/a spring day.. you'd also need to have a symbol for the worst blizzard. I don't think the structure of the runes would collapse if everyone did this. They've survived, changed, and grown over time.. as with any system divination or otherwise.. and i believe that they will continue to grow and change as we change.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 08:03:37 pm »
Quote from: Kyndyl;145638

A Reminder:
Hi, Kyndyl,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just  replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Sunflower, TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Tags: