Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Today at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Today at 07:44:49 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:21:31 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Author Topic: Sleeping outside for Beltane  (Read 1483 times)

PetitAlbert

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Sleeping outside for Beltane
« on: April 06, 2014, 12:24:26 pm »
Does anyone sleep outside for some Sabbats?

I've done this once before, for Midsummer. I was at Avebury, where there was a huge celebration and such things were expected; and with two friends.

Now I want to do it in my local ancient woodland for Beltane, but am concerned about safety (of a mundane kind) as I am unlikely to find friends to accompany me.

Any stories, experiences or suggestions?
"We all have something to learn, and something to teach."
30 Days of Magic: take the challenge now!

Petit Albert: This witch\'s blog
Book of Protective Magic by Albert - free 20 page bookzine download

Vale

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Sleeping outside for Beltane
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 01:43:08 pm »
Quote from: Unmutual;144542

I've done this once before, for Midsummer. I was at Avebury, where there was a huge celebration and such things were expected; and with two friends.

Now I want to do it in my local ancient woodland for Beltane, but am concerned about safety (of a mundane kind) as I am unlikely to find friends to accompany me.

Never done it without other people around but statistically you are extremely unlikely to be unlucky enough run into a mad axe murderer in a stretch of British ancient woodland. Most UK murders are in city centres or in the apparent "safety" of one's own home by soemone known well to the victim. I've known plenty of people who've slept alone in various sacred sites for one reason or another and they've been fine.

If you are nervous about it though then it probably isn't a good idea

Mikie

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 02:39:19 pm »

I know I am! I feel that in the world we live in, it's important to take ourselves outside of our comfort zone! GL!

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
  • Religion: Wicca & Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 02:54:43 pm »

I don't really live in a place with ancient woodland... there are state parks, but I could get arrested for trespassing, except in the campgrounds.

Which brings me to my point... campgrounds are a safe place to spend a night. We used to do rituals at a nearby campground all the time when I was in college. And it's usually pretty easy to be subtle about anything you're doing if there are a lot of mundanes around.

Karen

Mikie

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 03:27:24 pm »
Quote from: dragonfaerie;145546
I don't really live in a place with ancient woodland... there are state parks, but I could get arrested for trespassing, except in the campgrounds.

Oh yeah, if I had to find ancient ground I would be SoL. I feel that it is more important to at least be able to find a connection that we seriously lack in our day to day lives. But yeah, the campground is always a nice safe option!
;)

Aranel

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 05:53:41 pm »

Not sure where in the UK you are but wild camping (basically not on a campsite) is technically illegal in England and Wales unless you have prior permission from the landowner.  

That said, it is really fun. Never slept out for Sabbets as I don't celebrate them so don't have any stories, sorry.

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 10:59:46 pm »
but am concerned about safety (of a mundane kind) as I am unlikely to find friends to accompany me.

What kind of safety are you worried about? Scary people in the woods, animals, temperature, fire? The last three are easier to deal with alone than people are. Do you have to sleep under the stars or is a tent an option?

No experience stories about Beltane but it would be easier to help with the safety if I/we knew that.

Tags: