collapse

Author Topic: NOAH the Movie: The Bible It's Not  (Read 4630 times)

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: NOAH the Movie: The Bible It's Not
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2014, 05:10:20 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;144278

I *did* hear criticisms of it from some clergy (especially Catholic) that it was exploitive. The one that stuck in my head was that the film lingered in such detail on Jesus's sufferings, in a really excessive manner, and didn't balance it out with a discussion of theology.

It was certainly gory. I've never seen it, because I know that level of violence is something I can't tolerate. It just seemed gratuitous. Like Gibson was really relishing all the blood and guts and guilt aspects of it.

I haven't seen it, either*, but I distinctly remember someone on a pagan forum I was a member of (I can't remember if it was TC or one I was a member of prior to coming here) saying that in that film, Jesus was whipped five times more than what Roman law recommended.

*and given that I once heard it described with "you can practically see Gibson's semen stains all over it," I don't want to.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Olivia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2014, 05:30:19 pm »
Quote from: triple_entendre;144237

Not really going to tell them what they should do, I'm not their mother. Did Mel Gibson's The Passion get this much flack, though? I either didn't notice or don't remember.

I don't know how much flack it got from the general public but I was forced to sit through the movie and it was one of the most grotesque things I've ever seen that wasn't labeled a horror film. Seriously I think they used more fake blood in that film then they use in an episode of True Blood.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2014, 06:38:19 pm »
Quote from: MattyG;144255

Essentially, the original Noah story doesn't really contain any information to help an ordinary person live their life and this movie does. Really, I think that should be the standard by which myths are judged.

Your standard intrigues me.

Applying that standard, how would you evaluate, say, the Persephone's myth?
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

MattyG

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2014, 12:44:01 pm »
Quote from: Altair;144350
Your standard intrigues me.

Applying that standard, how would you evaluate, say, the Persephone's myth?

I will admit that I haven't thought this through completely, and there might be some holes in my standard, but I'll take a shot at this myth.

Off the top of my head, there are two important lessons to be taken from the Persephone myth. First of all, the importance of empathy. Zeus and Hades act without considering the feelings of Persephone or Demeter and, as a result, Demeter's grief almost destroys all life. Even after Zeus tries to fix his mistake, the world still winds up tainted by grief for a third of the year. Had they exercised empathy from the beginning, the world would be a better place.

Second, the myth teaches the importance of not accepting gifts or hospitality from unscrupulous people. You never know what the price will be. These are both lessons that can help normal people be more moral and intelligent in their everyday lives.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2014, 02:18:59 pm »
Quote from: MattyG;144413
I will admit that I haven't thought this through completely, and there might be some holes in my standard, but I'll take a shot at this myth.

Thanks! I'm going to keep your standard consciously in mind. I think I had something similar in operation ("Is there Truth to be found in this myth?"), but it's always good to hear someone else's take.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

beith

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2014, 04:32:14 pm »
Quote from: Olivia;144283
I don't know how much flack it got from the general public but I was forced to sit through the movie and it was one of the most grotesque things I've ever seen that wasn't labeled a horror film. Seriously I think they used more fake blood in that film then they use in an episode of True Blood.

Seriously.  I need my film violence implied, I can't take it.  I almost had to turn off Slumdog Millionaire because I couldn't take them beating on the kids.  But I was forced to sit through Passion of the Christ.  I was with a church group and after we went to a beautiful park to discuss or think about the film.  A couple groups broke off to talk, but I wandered off by myself and reveled in the beauty of the place and nature.

This is also the reason I can't watch 12 Years a Slave, no matter how good of a film "they" say it is or how good of an education it would be for me.

MattyG

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2014, 01:30:27 am »
Quote from: Altair;144421
Thanks! I'm going to keep your standard consciously in mind. I think I had something similar in operation ("Is there Truth to be found in this myth?"), but it's always good to hear someone else's take.

Glad I can help.

Valentine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: get free; get others free; make new life in the aftermath
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2014, 03:01:18 am »
Quote from: Melamphoros;144264
It got flack, but mostly it was accusations of Anti-Semitism (which, given who made the movie, is probably valid).

As a Bible scholar: oh man those accusations were totally warranted.  He shoehorned in a LOT of extra-Biblical stuff, and a lot of it was stuff like Jewish priests mournfully saying they were guilty of murdering Christ and the stain would be on them and their descendants forever.
"Let be be finale of seem." - Wallace Stevens, "The Emperor of Ice-Cream"
"There isn't a way things should be.  There's just what happens, and what we do."
- Terry Pratchett, "A Hat Full of Sky"

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2014, 02:44:03 pm »
Quote from: Jack;144199
You know who'd make an awesome casting choice for Moses? A Jewish person. =P

Being that the story comes down from Jewish lore, you make a great point.

Except that Biblically speaking, Moses and his immediate family are the ancestors of all races as they were the only humans left after the flood.
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2014, 03:16:59 pm »
Quote from: Fireof9;144561
Being that the story comes down from Jewish lore, you make a great point.

Except that Biblically speaking, Moses and his immediate family are the ancestors of all races as they were the only humans left after the flood.

I think maybe you mean Noah in that sentence because Moses is pretty well defined in terms of who "his people" are, and those people are the Jews. That's the whole point of the story.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2014, 03:32:04 pm »
Quote from: Jack;144564
I think maybe you mean Noah in that sentence because Moses is pretty well defined in terms of who "his people" are, and those people are the Jews. That's the whole point of the story.

Yah know......... I went got the names all backwards there - thinking of the movie in question in the thread title and reading that in instead of what you said....... I think I need more coffee before posting......

Carry on ;)
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2014, 08:15:20 am »
Quote from: Altair;144063

But do they have cause to be? Is it fundamentally wrong to take someone's sacred story and change it beyond recognition to create a new one? Or does it depend on the circumstances? We neopagans of various stripes have seen wonky movies of our sacred stuff, from THE CRAFT to the THOR movies, and for the most part we shrug them off as entertainments irrelevant to our religions. Should Christians and Jews do the same here? Are some of them so irate simply because they're unaccustomed to seeing *their* myths transmogrified into something new?

As its own myth, I found NOAH somewhat interesting. But since they decided to call it NOAH, did the filmmakers have an obligation to stay true to the original?

Haven't' seen the movie (of course being at sea for most of the past 6 months means I haven't seen Any newish movies).

Personally I think movie makers Should be true to the title / original story or be far enough away that it's obviously not the same story.  A Noah that is set in more modern times (Evan Almighty), or even a SF (Silent Running sort of) is fine, nobody expects more than the bare bones similarity or nod to the original.

My idea that they should be true to the original material has nothing to do with this particular movie, but with any move (looking at Starship Troopers, Dune).  

Comments up thread about adding personality sounds fine, and would be well within the directors job.  Lots of biblical material needs interpretation and addition, let alone enough to make a decent movie.

PrincessKLS

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: goddess worship grey, folk magick, hoodoo inspired.
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2014, 10:14:24 pm »
Quote from: Altair;144063
Has anybody else seen the new Darren Aronofsky movie NOAH yet, starring Russell Crowe?

I'm putting this here rather than under "Music, Television, and Film" because it's the Judeo-Christian myth aspect of the movie--or lack thereof--that I find most fascinating. This is a completely different myth, keeping only the barest bones of the original and re-interpreting it into an enviro-vegan manifesto.

No wonder the right-wing Christians are up in arms!

But do they have cause to be? Is it fundamentally wrong to take someone's sacred story and change it beyond recognition to create a new one? Or does it depend on the circumstances? We neopagans of various stripes have seen wonky movies of our sacred stuff, from THE CRAFT to the THOR movies, and for the most part we shrug them off as entertainments irrelevant to our religions. Should Christians and Jews do the same here? Are some of them so irate simply because they're unaccustomed to seeing *their* myths transmogrified into something new?

As its own myth, I found NOAH somewhat interesting. But since they decided to call it NOAH, did the filmmakers have an obligation to stay true to the original?

I don't think so but than again, I'm not the typical Christian or Jew who would find a movie like this offensive. I'm the type of person who would like to see a Jesus movie where the actor doesn't look like a stereotypical Jesus or better yet, a movie that hypotheticalizes what non-Jewish pagans wouldn't thought of Jesus back then? Like for example, how would a pagan in Greece see Jesus back in that time period.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 10:15:34 pm by PrincessKLS »
PrincessKLS

dionysiandame

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2014, 09:35:43 am »
Quote from: Redfaery;144278
, in a really excessive manner, and didn't balance it out with a discussion of theology.

It was certainly gory. I've never seen it, because I know that level of violence is something I can't tolerate. It just seemed gratuitous. Like Gibson was really relishing all the blood and guts and guilt aspects of it.

I saw this movie on a first date.

That was not a good idea.
Writ, Ritual, and Revelation - Where I wax poetic about nothing at all.
2 Mallards and Thyme- Gastronomy, History, Odds & Ends
Become my latest obsession on Goodreads

He keeps me with all of his other pretty things for I am just another pretty thing in a long list of acquisitions.

mlr52

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.GIN.michaellrichardson.com
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2014, 09:44:56 am »
Quote from: PrincessKLS;162078

Like for example, how would a pagan in Greece see Jesus back in that time period.

Just another soap box philosopher.
Light Your Candle, In Love and Service, Blessed Be.
I am a Notary Public for The State of New York, - I do not charge for Notary Fee\'s, I Live in Brooklyn, N.Y.

Tags: