collapse

Author Topic: Afraid of using candles  (Read 1903 times)

kasabake

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Questioning
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her, he/him
Afraid of using candles
« on: March 26, 2014, 04:11:58 pm »
I've been thinking about this for a while and I've noticed how for a lot of my life, I've been anxious whenever around fire or sometimes even heat. Until I was about 12, I had a hard time taking something out of the oven and I still do. Same with whenever my dad burns incense, but now I only get a little bit uneasy. I've always had trouble with anxiety as I have generalized anxiety disorder. I know that a lot of rituals and such use candles, which might be a problem because the biggest problem I have with fire is that I have a bad time being near lit candles. I wanted to know if you all think that it'd be best to find a way to work around using candles in rituals or if I should try and use candles anyways.

Thanks in advance and I apologize if I posted this in the wrong forum or if it's a stupid question.

IceAngie

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she, her, hers
Re: Afraid of using candles
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 04:40:34 pm »
Quote from: Vocal;143706
I've been thinking about this for a while and I've noticed how for a lot of my life, I've been anxious whenever around fire or sometimes even heat. Until I was about 12, I had a hard time taking something out of the oven and I still do. Same with whenever my dad burns incense, but now I only get a little bit uneasy. I've always had trouble with anxiety as I have generalized anxiety disorder. I know that a lot of rituals and such use candles, which might be a problem because the biggest problem I have with fire is that I have a bad time being near lit candles. I wanted to know if you all think that it'd be best to find a way to work around using candles in rituals or if I should try and use candles anyways.

I completely understand you. I've come a long way with my phobia to fire, but I still have problems with the oven.

If you don't feel like using wax candles, don't do it. There are LED candles and battery candles that you can buy and wouldn't involve fire. There are other options too, you can draw a candle on a piece of paper, using the color you need, or painting the flame with that color. Anything you feel safe to do would be fine, really, as long as you're working by yourself or let the people working with you know why you are doing things that way and not using a real candle.
Angeles/IceAngie/Selegna.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 05:56:21 pm »
Quote from: Vocal;143706
I wanted to know if you all think that it'd be best to find a way to work around using candles in rituals or if I should try and use candles anyways.

Well, that depends a lot on what you want your ritual practice and religious life to look at.

If you are working on your own, and if you are willing to be flexible about some elements of ritual practice, there are, as noted, LED candles and other ways to substitute for candles in ritual. (And I'm going to talk about a few options below.)

If, however, you think you might want to follow a specific tradition's set of practices, or you think you might want to attend public Wiccan-based rituals (or a number of other kinds, but I'm looking at your religion note in your profile), then not being comfortable around lit candles is going to limit your options some. Quite possibly a lot.

Fire is - like all four of the basic magical elements - a very powerful force. And a lot of people are really stupid about fire safety in ritual, so it's very appropriate to take necessary precautions.

But at the same time, fire in appropriate uses is - well, one of the fundamentals of civilisation. It's the light from the sun, it's the lightbulb in the dark, it's what lets us cook food, and do all sorts of other things.

So, one of the things you could think about over time is working on some of the general anxiety about it. (Are you seeing a therapist for anxiety in general?). Someone with training can help you work through specific fears until you can deal with candles in appropriate uses.

There's also plenty you can do that might be more achievable for you: it's totally appropriate to have a sacred fire extinguisher near the altar. It's fine to have, say, *one* candle, on a very stable table, in a glass container so that even if the candle tips, nothing bad will happen, rather than half a dozen. It's fine to be very careful about where the candle's placed (so nothing can fall into it/etc.)

Some fire departments offer fire safety workshops for the community on a regular basis. You might think about whether one of those (or a first aid/emergency response class) might help you deal with some of your anxiety. (For some people,  first aid classes can make anxiety worse, but for some people, knowing that they've talked through what to do for different kinds of emergencies helps a lot.)

There are also some more ritual-type things that might help (though with someone with a known strong phobia, it's the kind of thing that I'd suggest doing only with a good relationship with a therapist in place, so that if something comes up that's too much to work through on your own, you already have help.) But one of the things people can do in ritual is work through *why* they're afraid of something.

There might be an old memory (or some people would consider a past life echo, or something like that) that has changed how you react to fire, and once you addressed that, your conscious mind might be able to deal better. (This is one of those things where if you only have a couple of strong anxiety triggers, it might be helpful to poke at them individually, but if you have a lot of anxiety that's triggered by a lot of different things, you probably want to address the anxiety in general first.)

Ritual bits. There's a lot of different reasons for using candles in ritual, and some of them are more easily substituted than others. (And which ones matter will depend a lot on your specific practices and/or tradition and/or path.)

(My ritual practices, based on my tradition's practices, involve fire as a representation of the element in circle, candles for use of the entities invited, and incense being lit from a candle, and for elemental work among others. The other effects of having candles are also nice, but they're not the reasons we use them.)

Fire as representation of the element in ritual: This is the one that it's hardest to find a clear substitute for, in many ways. However, some people find that an LED candle (electricity = fire in some ways) works for them. Some people find that say, glass works for them, or a piece of obsidian (both of which also have strong connections to earth, but are formed in fire.)

I'm also fond of a bunch of lengths of thin colored ribbon (the kind you get for $1-3 a roll at a craft store) in 4-5 appropriate colors (for fire, you might have yellow, orange, two shades of red) that you can hang or coil on an altar. It's got more vibrancy than many other objects. (I find 3-4 feet is a good length, and you want at least 15-20 strands.)

Fire as part of other ritual actions, like incense: Again, depends on ritual practice heavily - in my tradition, we use a lit incense stick for a specific ritual action, and there's just no way to duplicate it with, say, a simmering pot or perfumed oil or whatever. (It would be possible to rework the ritual bit, but it would take larger negotiation with other people, not just one person going "here's how we do it now.")

Candle as an anchor for deity or an elemental being: Some paths uses candles as a place for entities in circle to 'sit' - a place set aside just for them. The trick is that you wnat something that clearly indicates if there's something there or not (or welcome there) - and a candle obviously has a lit and unlit state. When we haven't been able to use candles, I've used small decorated boxes (the kind you can get for a couple of dollars at a craft store) that are opened when we would have lit a candle, and closed when we would have extinguished it.

Elemental focus: Some traditions have practices around attuning to a specific element for a period of time/season of the year/whatever. (Slightly different than representation in ritual.) Depending on your method, this can have different applications, and maybe a candle when it's the direct focus may feel different than as a part of a larger ritual process.

Candle for meditation: You can use an LED candle here easily, or a bowl of water, or whatever else you find an appropriate focus (some people like rocks, some people like a clear bit of glass, some people just close their eyes, etc.)

Light: Obviously, there are lots of alternatives. For dim ritual-friendly lighting, I am fond of either strings of white Christmas-type lights (they tend to go on sale right after Christmas) or paper-shaded lamps, but obviously, all sorts of options.

For pretty: Obviously, there are lots of other pretty things! Even shiny pretty things. Glass, often a good option here.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

kasabake

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Questioning
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her, he/him
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 06:29:12 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;143715
So, one of the things you could think about over time is working on some of the general anxiety about it. (Are you seeing a therapist for anxiety in general?). Someone with training can help you work through specific fears until you can deal with candles in appropriate uses.

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate all of the various substitutes to use instead of candles and this'll be very useful if I plan on performing any rituals before I can get a hold of my anxiety around fire.

I was seeing a therapist before but then my parents didn't have health insurance any more. After a few months we have it again and I keep bringing up how important it is that I have therapy, but they haven't set up an appointment even though I've asked many times and we've had insurance for a while now. I explained to them how my therapist wasn't working for me and they just said I wasn't doing the work which is wrong. Whenever I ask they either say "Okay" and then they never bring it up again, or they say "But you said your therapist wasn't right for you" and then they never bring it up again like when they just say they will.

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 05:01:14 pm »
clipped

A great deal of food for thought here regarding the role of the elements in ritual. A great many thanks, Jenett, for giving me something to chew on for a while.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 05:02:01 pm by Allaya »
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 09:52:48 pm »

A serious amount of great information. I agree wholeheartedly with the LED candles. I have six on my shrine to Quan Yin: four remote control votives and two color changing lotus-shaped candles I found on eBay.

Christmas lights are another fantastic option. And most are outdoor lights, so you can submerge them in a water filled vase or bottle for even prettier light. If you have food coloring, you can even tint the water to whatever color you need, as a replacement for colored candles. Green for money or luck, for example.  

Quote from: Vocal;143720

I know what that's like. My old therapist was a jerk, and I only saw him for 5 minutes every month to refill my prescriptions. But my new therapist is a wonderful, awesome lady that I always schedule at night so we have plenty of time to talk.

Not to mention the confusion of turning 21 last year and automatically losing my parents' insurance. But I'm in school so now I've got until I'm 26 to find my own. Thanks Obama! Hehehe.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 10:53:42 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;143835

I know what that's like. My old therapist was a jerk, and I only saw him for 5 minutes every month to refill my prescriptions. But my new therapist is a wonderful, awesome lady that I always schedule at night so we have plenty of time to talk.

Not to mention the confusion of turning 21 last year and automatically losing my parents' insurance. But I'm in school so now I've got until I'm 26 to find my own. Thanks Obama! Hehehe.

Just FYI - it is rare* for psychiatrists and psychopharmacologists to do anything beyond med checks once a person is stable on their medications.   Usually, nowadays, they'll handle the medications while a psychologist, counselor, or social worker handles the psychotherapy.  This is why so many of us in mental health treatment see two (or more) people - our therapists can't prescribe medication (since they didn't go to med school) and our prescribers don't do therapy.

*I say it is rare because there are some psychiatrists who still do therapy as well as prescribe, but the number is dwindling.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 11:19:57 am »
Quote from: veggiewolf;144083
Just FYI - it is rare* for psychiatrists and psychopharmacologists to do anything beyond med checks once a person is stable on their medications.   Usually, nowadays, they'll handle the medications while a psychologist, counselor, or social worker handles the psychotherapy.  This is why so many of us in mental health treatment see two (or more) people - our therapists can't prescribe medication (since they didn't go to med school) and our prescribers don't do therapy.

*I say it is rare because there are some psychiatrists who still do therapy as well as prescribe, but the number is dwindling.

And I was lucky enough to find the elusive therapy-doing-psychiatrist. Almost like finding a unicorn. :p

Sorry. I realize that may sound a little snotty to some people. But I don't mean it to be.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 03:10:15 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;144116
And I was lucky enough to find the elusive therapy-doing-psychiatrist. Almost like finding a unicorn. :p

Sorry. I realize that may sound a little snotty to some people. But I don't mean it to be.

I had one, back in the 90s, but since then I've always had to go to two separate people.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Tags: