Spirituality in the age of social media by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 08:28:55 pm]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Author Topic: The 'godphone' concept  (Read 6494 times)

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
The 'godphone' concept
« on: March 18, 2014, 04:13:52 am »
Where did the godphone concept come from? Why is it becoming so prevalent, in eclectic Wiccan-influenced Paganism especially? I keep seeing people saying "I don't have a godphone" or "I want to develop my godphone". I find it absolutely fascinating from a sociological and theological standpoint, as I've not encountered anything similar to this concept in other religions or spiritual paths. My personal opinion is that it's a useless metaphor, because hearing or experiencing deities is probably a skill that can be developed. But whether not it can, the metaphor seems very limiting, to me, in that there seems to be a mythos emerging that is leading to a kind of priesthood/laity split, between those who believe they can never communicate with the gods, and those who communicate with the gods and are thus being represented as having a 'direct line' to them.

Make any sense?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 04:14:22 am by Naomi J »
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Aelfcynn

• View Profile
Re: The 'godphone' concept
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 05:01:29 am »
Quote from: Naomi J;142810
Where did the godphone concept come from? Why is it becoming so prevalent, in eclectic Wiccan-influenced Paganism especially? I keep seeing people saying "I don't have a godphone" or "I want to develop my godphone". I find it absolutely fascinating from a sociological and theological standpoint, as I've not encountered anything similar to this concept in other religions or spiritual paths. My personal opinion is that it's a useless metaphor, because hearing or experiencing deities is probably a skill that can be developed. But whether not it can, the metaphor seems very limiting, to me, in that there seems to be a mythos emerging that is leading to a kind of priesthood/laity split, between those who believe they can never communicate with the gods, and those who communicate with the gods and are thus being represented as having a 'direct line' to them.

Make any sense?

I too would like to know more background information on the 'godphone' thing, as I've only ever seen contrasting snippets like 'I'm always on the godphone it can be so annoying' and 'I have no godphone am I doing it wrong?'. And these are from Tumblr, the only active pagan arena I've been in for a while. I blogged about it a couple of weeks ago, but it was a bit reactive and I lost any specific ideas I had about 'godphones'. It was a personal post, really.

I'm not sure if it leads to a priesthood/laity split but looking at some posts like the latter, some people interested in developing communications with deities are concerned that there's only one way to do it 'properly'.

Yei

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Mexica Reconstructionism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 05:40:55 am »

Make any sense?

What exactly is it that annoys you?

Is it the characterisation of a divine connection as a compartmentalised episode (like a phone call) creating an inappropriate metaphor?
Is it the idea that a connection with the gods is an either you have it or you don't situation?
Is it that such a divide has with it an innate claim to authority that may not actually be earned?
Or is it simply that phones exist for convenience, and thus the term godphone implies that the gods contacted in a way that is convenient for the worshipper, rather than the god?

Or some combination of the above?

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 06:03:19 am »
Quote from: Rob;142816
What exactly is it that annoys you?

Is it the characterisation of a divine connection as a compartmentalised episode (like a phone call) creating an inappropriate metaphor?
Is it the idea that a connection with the gods is an either you have it or you don't situation?
Is it that such a divide has with it an innate claim to authority that may not actually be earned?
Or is it simply that phones exist for convenience, and thus the term godphone implies that the gods contacted in a way that is convenient for the worshipper, rather than the god?

Or some combination of the above?

It doesn't annoy me.

On a sociological level, as I said, I find it fascinating. I'm interested in where it has come from, as I don't see it in other spiritualities (although of course I may have missed it elsewhere).

On a personal level, I find it a confusing metaphor, as I don't think it's accurate. But I'm really more interested in where it came from, and why so many people find it a helpful metaphor.

Of the scenarios you described, the second is closest to how I feel personally - that the dichotomy of "I can contact the gods"/"I can't contact the gods" is being presented as fact, when it's probably much more complex than that. I think that could be limiting for people who don't currently hear *specific* gods. (I, for example, cannot hear some gods at all, and hear other gods all the time.)
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Yei

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 08:48:58 am »
Quote from: Naomi J;142817
It doesn't annoy me.

On a sociological level, as I said, I find it fascinating. I'm interested in where it has come from, as I don't see it in other spiritualities (although of course I may have missed it elsewhere).

I see. I must have misunderstood.

I guess the reason for the phone comparison is simply because phones are now used to communicate long distance. It sort of makes sense.

On a personal level, I find it a confusing metaphor, as I don't think it's accurate. But I'm really more interested in where it came from, and why so many people find it a helpful metaphor.

Of the scenarios you described, the second is closest to how I feel personally - that the dichotomy of "I can contact the gods"/"I can't contact the gods" is being presented as fact, when it's probably much more complex than that. I think that could be limiting for people who don't currently hear *specific* gods. (I, for example, cannot hear some gods at all, and hear other gods all the time.)

Well it does miss indirect communication through signs or altered states of conciousness. So I'd have to agree.

Siren

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 10:14:41 am »
Quote from: Rob;142837
Well it does miss indirect communication through signs or altered states of conciousness. So I'd have to agree.

Signs have been a big thing for me. It's of course easy to have confirmation bias leak into interpreting signs, but I've found them really useful. One of my favorite examples was that I was meditating once and (silently) asking a deity a yes or no question. At the time it was nice out and I had the windows open, and there were some workmen next door, and suddenly right after I asked the question one of the workmen yelled "YES!" I think I cracked up laughing, IIRC, and it also turned out to be the correct answer based on everything that came after.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 07:11:35 pm »
Where did the godphone concept come from?

I seem to recall having seen someone comment that it was sort of an in-joke among friends in a particular subcommunity where everyone knew what they were talking about, and then it escaped onto the internet.

Why is it becoming so prevalent, in eclectic Wiccan-influenced Paganism especially?

Honestly, I guess "tumblr".
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 10:07:44 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;142888
I seem to recall having seen someone comment that it was sort of an in-joke among friends in a particular subcommunity where everyone knew what they were talking about, and then it escaped onto the internet.

This is correct. It started out as a pejorative term when it was coined and, like these things tend to do, started to shed the derogatory aspect and escaped into the wild. I have no idea where all I picked up the info on this, but I delved into it out of curiosity a year or two ago and, since the term amuses me, the provenance has stuck in my head.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 12:44:58 am »
Quote from: Allaya;142908
It started out as a pejorative term when it was coined and, like these things tend to do, started to shed the derogatory aspect and escaped into the wild.

That fits my own - very vague - recollections of when I was first hearing it. Well, vague in terms of having no idea just what subcommunity it started with; I'm pretty certain it was one or another set of 'we mistrust all mysticism on principle' reconnish types.

It annoys me quite a lot, mainly because it's descriptively crappy (it reminds me of the ludicrous characterizations some anti-theists use, of what religion is - in both cases, the intent behind the coinage is not descriptive, it's pejorative, to make the phenomenon look as silly and mockery-worthy as possible). I disliked it as a disparaging term a few years back; I don't like it any better in the non-derogatory usage because I am So. Bloody. Tired. of trying to explain, 'It's really not anything like that.'

I agree completely with Naomi that it's not a useful metaphor. Years ago, here on TC, the phrase we used to use was 'direct interaction with deity/ies' - I very strongly prefer that, but I don't often see it any more; I might be the last person still using it (and possibly I should do so more often, to see if I can get it to catch on again).

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

quarks

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 01:22:53 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;142917
I disliked it as a disparaging term a few years back; I don't like it any better in the non-derogatory usage because I am So. Bloody. Tired. of trying to explain, 'It's really not anything like that.'

I didn't realize that it started as an insult, nor did I realize that it's not accurate (not having those kind of experiences myself).  That is good to know.  "Direct contact with Deities" does make sense.  I'll use the more applicable phrase in the future.

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 03:51:29 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;142917
That fits my own - very vague - recollections of when I was first hearing it. Well, vague in terms of having no idea just what subcommunity it started with; I'm pretty certain it was one or another set of 'we mistrust all mysticism on principle' reconnish types.

It annoys me quite a lot, mainly because it's descriptively crappy (it reminds me of the ludicrous characterizations some anti-theists use, of what religion is - in both cases, the intent behind the coinage is not descriptive, it's pejorative, to make the phenomenon look as silly and mockery-worthy as possible). I disliked it as a disparaging term a few years back; I don't like it any better in the non-derogatory usage because I am So. Bloody. Tired. of trying to explain, 'It's really not anything like that.'

I agree completely with Naomi that it's not a useful metaphor. Years ago, here on TC, the phrase we used to use was 'direct interaction with deity/ies' - I very strongly prefer that, but I don't often see it any more; I might be the last person still using it (and possibly I should do so more often, to see if I can get it to catch on again).

Sunflower

I much prefer that term to "godphone." There is something... wrong with "godphone" as a term and I don't know how to parse it. There's almost something ableist about it, only I'm not sure that's the right -ism to use.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Yei

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 06:20:20 pm »
Quote from: Sage;142995
I much prefer that term to "godphone." There is something... wrong with "godphone" as a term and I don't know how to parse it. There's almost something ableist about it, only I'm not sure that's the right -ism to use.

Is it something to do with the fact that a phone is an incredibly rude thing? It basically imposes itself on someone and then demands to be answered by using loud noises with no respect to what ever one was already doing. Think about it.

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 06:27:58 pm »
Quote from: Rob;143018
Is it something to do with the fact that a phone is an incredibly rude thing? It basically imposes itself on someone and then demands to be answered by using loud noises with no respect to what ever one was already doing. Think about it.

No, not from the gods' end at least. (Though... what you're mentioning brings up a lot of deities and consent issues I've been pondering about for a long long while.)

How I've seen the godphone used in conversation is simplifying divine interaction to the point you are either able to do it or you aren't. Either you have this one experience communing with the divine or you get none whatsoever. And of course, all the half-hearted disclaimers in the world don't change the fact that this idea (simplified as it is) means that some people are able to 'hear' the gods and some people are not, and the people who can are automatically privileged with language of having a "working" godphone. I mean whatever the god-bothered actually think and feel, I keep seeing conversations couched in terms of "oh my god-phone doesn't work" (implying something is broken) and trying to find ways to 'fix' it because who doesn't want a working godphone, right?

I really think I'm doing a piss poor job explaining this, but it's been bothering me for a long time.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 06:43:34 pm »
Quote from: Sage;143026

How I've seen the godphone used in conversation is simplifying divine interaction to the point you are either able to do it or you aren't. Either you have this one experience communing with the divine or you get none whatsoever. And of course, all the half-hearted disclaimers in the world don't change the fact that this idea (simplified as it is) means that some people are able to 'hear' the gods and some people are not, and the people who can are automatically privileged with language of having a "working" godphone. I mean whatever the god-bothered actually think and feel, I keep seeing conversations couched in terms of "oh my god-phone doesn't work" (implying something is broken) and trying to find ways to 'fix' it because who doesn't want a working godphone, right?

I find it a problematic term for two reasons: first, that I almost never get *words* from deity, except a couple of times when I've done a fairly full Draw Down. So it's, y'know, inaccurate.

(Ok, so it's a bit more like how I actually *use* my phone, which is lots and lots of text and very occasional bits of voice conversation. But that's not really helpful in a general term.)

I tend to prefer (though there are ways it's also problematic) the open head/closed head model, because it implies there are *tendencies* for people, and things they may be more or less inclined to, but that both have some strengths and weaknesses (and both have things one can do to develop skills in the other direction.)

Someone who is open headed has to work less hard, generally, to get deity or other entity communication, but on the other hand, they have to work harder to keep good boundaries/manage the relationships therein/etc. Someone who is more close-headed has an easier time with boundaries (and probably sleeps better at night!) but is not going to have hot and cold running mystical experiences with entities all the time.

But people can also learn skills to manage being open headed (how to have and enforce relevant boundaries/limits/discern what's going on) or being close headed (ritual and other techniques to help establish direct connection or have meaningful experiences, and so on.) And it's much less 'this is a thing you can't control' and much more 'people have tendencies, but you can do stuff with them' which is, really, much more consistent with other skills and abilities and preferences we have about learning and interacting with the world.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 08:40:43 pm »
Quote from: Sage;143026
No, not from the gods' end at least. (Though... what you're mentioning brings up a lot of deities and consent issues I've been pondering about for a long long while.)

I really think I'm doing a piss poor job explaining this, but it's been bothering me for a long time.

This is what bugs me about it, too.  I prefer 'direct deity interaction'; it pretty much does what it says on the tin, and is a pretty accurate description.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Tags: