Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: Is a curse ever justified?  (Read 7927 times)

anonymus

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Is a curse ever justified?
« on: March 17, 2014, 11:46:17 am »
I've been thinking recently about the idea of a curse and how a some people seem to think it is wrong or that it is dangerous because it could blow back at you, essentially it is like a loaded gun only a lot harder to aim. But is there ever a situation where using one would be justified? For example I set up some sort of big major ritual to pop someone's aorta, let's say a Nero, Hitler, Stalin, or any of the Kims; would that justified? Or would I be headed toward the Darkside? Any thoughts opinions?

disclaimer: This discussion is strictly a theoretical ethics debate

Voren

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: spiritual
  • Preferred Pronouns: Xe/Xir/Xes
Re: Is a curse ever justified?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 12:00:55 pm »
Quote from: anonymus;142713
I've been thinking recently about the idea of a curse and how a some people seem to think it is wrong or that it is dangerous because it could blow back at you, essentially it is like a loaded gun only a lot harder to aim. But is there ever a situation where using one would be justified? For example I set up some sort of big major ritual to pop someone's aorta, let's say a Nero, Hitler, Stalin, or any of the Kims; would that justified? Or would I be headed toward the Darkside? Any thoughts opinions?

Common sense, and many people out there would say no. If you do that you are stooping to their level and you should be the bigger person. Me, I would agree, really. Who are we to judge what someone deserves or what some does not deserve? This is really all opinion and perspective. One person could say that a man who works really hard gets a promotion, but another would say he has not been working with the company long enough to deserve it.

I have cursed someone before, when I was "young and stupid" as they say. The person had told many lies, and got me and my beloved into much trouble and had the whole family angry with us (except for his very forgiving mom). Not to long ago, this person got cancer in their throat. They did not die, and was able to have it removed....but I DID NOT feel good about it like I thought I would, weather justice was served or not.

Cursing someone; even if there was no backlash, is not worth the feeling you get when your curse works. I have not done one curse since and I never will do another again. I learned my lesson on that. There are better ways to handle things.
-Voren
(aka Sou\'r-Ghi\'den)

The Singularity

Breeze

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 12:17:52 pm »

There are going to be a lot of variables that are going to lead to be a bunch of different answers.  What specific Path or tradition a person follows will have something to do with it, as well as each person's own moral compass and sense of ethics.

I'm of the camp that a curse is a tool available to us in our magical toolbox, and there's: "A tool for every task, and a task for every tool."

While I see no problem with cursing, I do believe that if you wouldn't do anything akin to it on a physical level then you shouldn't on a magical level.  I've done two curses in my life, and yes, one backfired and things went to crap for a while.  That's the risk you take if you want to use them.  But, the other worked beautifully and quite possibly saved my and my mother's and brother's lives.  

I believe they are a tool to be used with discretion.  In regards to your typical evil dictator target examples you've got going on, I would say not unless you or a loved one were directly threatened or invested in their situation in some way.  I'd favor sending protection vibes to the people they're affecting and justice vibes for a more mundane solution rather than a curse in that situation.  Of course, YMMV.

Vale

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 04:14:31 pm »

I have no moral problems with cursing. If I'm prepared to do my best to hit back with non magical means then I see no problem with using magical means.

There will of course be a price to pay but there tends to be if you use mundane methods as well. The question I ask is whether I am prepared to pay that price which can be heavy. Sometimes yes; sometimes no.

Leirion

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://lilylionlabyrinth.wordpress.com
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 05:50:59 pm »

I also have no moral problems with cursing someone. I have not personally done so myself, as I tend to try and deal with things at a physical level first. Usually, cutting off contact with a person, telling them off, or calling the police on them, does the trick. However, if it did not and the situation was endangering to either myself, my friends, or my family, I would definitely consider cursing them.

It is definitely one of those things, though, that you have to be willing to accept possible consequences. Not something to do lightly. And I would say the more specific you can get, the better. Cursing some nebulous dictator that you are only marginally (if at all) affected by is not something I would recommend. Cursing a stalker that the police cannot keep from harassing you, however, is something I would definitely consider.

(For full disclosure, I may be considered part of the "Darkside" by some people. Dun dun dun. I work in part with fallen angels and demons, and am on a lefthand path.)

mlr52

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.GIN.michaellrichardson.com
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 08:33:14 pm »
Quote from: Leirion;142747

(For full disclosure, I may be considered part of the "Darkside" by some people. Dun dun dun. I work in part with fallen angels and demons, and am on a lefthand path.)

Darkside? At what point does a person enter the darkside?

It's all gray to me.  There is the gray that is white, and goes to the gray that is black (or the other way around).  

Most things some is good for you, too much is deadly, so is too little.  

Fallen angels? Did not most bring some enlightement to mankind?

and demons?  Unsure what they are.

Rember one persons trash is another persons treasure.
Light Your Candle, In Love and Service, Blessed Be.
I am a Notary Public for The State of New York, - I do not charge for Notary Fee\'s, I Live in Brooklyn, N.Y.

mlr52

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 08:38:01 pm »

Depends on the curse and what is intended, but I would not, I would bless them instead.  I have heard it said that resentment is you taking poison, expecting someone else to die.
I am a Notary Public for The State of New York, - I do not charge for Notary Fee\'s, I Live in Brooklyn, N.Y.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 10:07:48 pm »
I've been thinking recently about the idea of a curse and how a some people seem to think it is wrong or that it is dangerous because it could blow back at you, essentially it is like a loaded gun only a lot harder to aim. But is there ever a situation where using one would be justified?

Yes.

For example I set up some sort of big major ritual to pop someone's aorta, let's say a Nero, Hitler, Stalin, or any of the Kims; would that justified? Or would I be headed toward the Darkside? Any thoughts opinions?

I am of the school of thought that your reasons for cursing someone (or not) need to be justifiable to you.  It shouldn't matter what I think - ethics are both personal and situational, and my not agreeing with you doesn't mean you're not justified.

If you're looking for my own stance on curses and whether I would do it, see my first answer. ;)
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Leirion

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://lilylionlabyrinth.wordpress.com
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 03:15:50 am »
Quote from: mlr52;142759
Darkside? At what point does a person enter the darkside?

It's all gray to me.  There is the gray that is white, and goes to the gray that is black (or the other way around).  

Most things some is good for you, too much is deadly, so is too little.  

Fallen angels? Did not most bring some enlightement to mankind?

and demons?  Unsure what they are.

Rember one persons trash is another persons treasure.

The original poster was the one who brought up the term, questioning if cursing someone would lead them to the "Darkside". The reason I used quotes, was in reference to what they said. Letting them know that others have accused me of being "dark" because of who I deal with and the kind of spiritual work I do, and so they may want to factor that into how they took my opinion.

So I think you mistook me. I see the world in grays as well. And I did not accuse anything of being trash or treasure.

mlr52

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 06:48:16 am »
Quote from: Leirion;142804
The original poster was the one who brought up the term, questioning if cursing someone would lead them to the "Darkside". The reason I used quotes, was in reference to what they said. Letting them know that others have accused me of being "dark" because of who I deal with and the kind of spiritual work I do, and so they may want to factor that into how they took my opinion.

I did not mean to throw stones, my appoliges if that is what you felt.  

So I think you mistook me. I see the world in grays as well. And I did not accuse anything of being trash or treasure.

That is something I added, meaning what some see no value in, others see high value in.

Sulischild

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sulischild.blogspot.com.au/
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 07:25:28 am »
Quote from: Breeze;142718
While I see no problem with cursing, I do believe that if you wouldn't do anything akin to it on a physical level then you shouldn't on a magical level.  

This is my general take on it, too.  If I'd do it through mundane means, like a restraining order against a creeper or fighting back if I'm attacked, then I don't see any harm in giving it some magical backup.  But I tend towards binding, freezing and banishing rather than cursing, as such.  There are times when mundane actions are better (like, if you are in immediate physical danger) and times when magical means are more appropriate.

I get the impression there are two schools of thought in the no-cursing camp: people who are against it for 'love and light' reasons, and people who're concerned about paying the price or having it blow up in their faces.  The end result's the same - they don't curse - but the reasons why are quite different.  (I don't mean 'love and light' in a disrespectful way, I just can't brain tonight and can't think of a better way to express it.)

Valentine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: get free; get others free; make new life in the aftermath
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 08:17:55 pm »

The real question is, "Is harming another person ever justified?"  A curse is just a means of doing it--a tool.  And yes, many legal systems give harsher penalties to people who do violence with a weapon rather than unarmed, and a curse is a weapon, but violence is violence.  Actions have consequences; magic is an action.  If you believe violence is never justified, probably your ethics should indicate that a curse is never justified, unless you believe curses don't actually work.  If you believe violence is sometimes justified, well, curses are then sometimes justified too.  Then it's a question of working out, ethically and practically, when they're justified.

There's no "Dark Side" to slip into, where you rack up enough Darkness Points and flip over from Good Person to Evil Person.  There's just choices, and actions, and consequences.  There is no undoing an action--there is just doing more actions in response to the consequences, with no backwards or canceling out.  Violence often has unpleasant consequences, and the question is more "is it worth it" than "does it turn me into a Bad Person."  (It does change you, but only into a you who has done a thing, instead of a you who hasn't done that thing.)  I would say, for practical reasons alone, it's usually not worth it.  There are times, too, where not doing it is worse than doing it, in its consequences.

There's not really a clean answer to this sort of thing.  There's just answers you can live with, and, I hope, an ethical commitment to doing right by the people around you.
"Let be be finale of seem." - Wallace Stevens, "The Emperor of Ice-Cream"
"There isn't a way things should be.  There's just what happens, and what we do."
- Terry Pratchett, "A Hat Full of Sky"

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 06:05:24 pm »
Quote from: Breeze;142718
While I see no problem with cursing, I do believe that if you wouldn't do anything akin to it on a physical level then you shouldn't on a magical level.

Another vote for this.

A good example of my ethical feeling is a hex of some kind vs a (direct, you-must-obey) love spell.

Would I punch someone I hated? Absolutely, and were it justified, I wouldn't judge anyone else for doing so.

Would I use GHB on someone? No, and I would do more than hex/punch someone who did.

MattyG

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2014, 12:00:50 pm »

Personally, I'm skeptical about the efficacy of curses. However, from an ethical standpoint: would you stab this person to their face? Would you snipe them from 100 yards away? Would you poison their food? Would you willingly accept the physical consequences of harming this person? If not, then using magic to harm them just seems like cowardice.

Quote from: mlr52;142761
Depends on the curse and what is intended, but I would not, I would bless them instead.  I have heard it said that resentment is you taking poison, expecting someone else to die.

Also, this entirely. I don't see the point of punishing people when you can try to reform them. It's the major problem I have with the US prison system. Reforming someone makes the world a better place in the long term. Punishing or killing someone just makes the world a less shitty place for a little while. Sometimes the latter might be absolutely necessary, but if someone absolutely needs to be removed, I would probably advocate taking physical action rather than relying on magical thinking.

MattyG

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2014, 12:08:06 pm »
Quote from: MattyG;145090
Personally, I'm skeptical about the efficacy of curses.

To specify, I fully acknowledge the ability of magic work and prayer to affect the people doing it. I just don't have reliable evidence to convince me that my curses materially damage other individuals or my prayers to the storm gods actually make it storm. I view magical working as more akin to meditation than anything else. I believe that it can deeply change the way that you perceive the world around you and that you react to it. In my view, when you throw a death curse at someone, you're just cementing that death curse within your own mind. That death doesn't go out into the world, but instead ties itself up within your neurons so that that death is always apart of you. Personally, I wouldn't wish that burden on anyone.

Tags: