collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: about finding ones goddess?  (Read 1282 times)

stellamaris777

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
about finding ones goddess?
« on: March 17, 2014, 01:36:11 am »
I've been well practicing low magic or folk magic and divination since 11 and I have always loved Leland's Myths about Diana and Aradia and greek myths about Hecate and persephone but I have never felt a big connection with any of them despite years of trying to work with them.
The only spiritual connection I have is a gitana spirit who seems to guide me from time to time but not in a diety way.
I did fall into a santa muerte type cult a few years back and thought I had a connection with her but it was the group leader exploiting me for her own profit I have a tattoo of her on my back but she won't work with me at all the cult required us to get a tattoo of her btw and I was with them for a 3 yr period when I first moved here.
Now my friend who is wiccan from the states says to look within myself to find her, all I see when I look within during meditation is the sea at nightime yeah nothing very definative or Sara Kali a spirit from candomble which I DO NOT practice or the virign mary but I figured that because well from a previous post there are alot of marian icons around the house
How do you normally find a deity connection?
And if you have alot of outside influences how do you discern one from the other when seeking.

Leirion

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://lilylionlabyrinth.wordpress.com
Re: about finding ones goddess?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 01:49:33 am »
Quote from: stellamaris777;142670
I've been well practicing low magic or folk magic and divination since 11 and I have always loved Leland's Myths about Diana and Aradia and greek myths about Hecate and persephone but I have never felt a big connection with any of them despite years of trying to work with them.
The only spiritual connection I have is a gitana spirit who seems to guide me from time to time but not in a diety way.
I did fall into a santa muerte type cult a few years back and thought I had a connection with her but it was the group leader exploiting me for her own profit I have a tattoo of her on my back but she won't work with me at all the cult required us to get a tattoo of her btw and I was with them for a 3 yr period when I first moved here.
Now my friend who is wiccan from the states says to look within myself to find her, all I see when I look within during meditation is the sea at nightime yeah nothing very definative or Sara Kali a spirit from candomble which I DO NOT practice or the virign mary but I figured that because well from a previous post there are alot of marian icons around the house
And if you have alot of outside influences how do you discern one from the other when seeking.

Unfortunately, I cannot offer a lot of advice based on personal experience, because I am one of those people who became pagan because I was being pestered by gods. So finding an initial connection has never been too difficult for me.

However, figuring out WHO that deity is, is not always easy for me! Sometimes, I just have a little bit to go on, like you: the sea at nighttime. That is actually a good start! You could try researching deities that are tied to the ocean and/or night, and see where it gets you. Is there anything else about that visual that stands out? Any emotion?

As far as filtering out external influences, just trying to learn to listen to your heart and pay attention to any "tugs" you may feel, can be helpful.

stellamaris777

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 02:34:31 am »
Quote from: Leirion;142671
Unfortunately, I cannot offer a lot of advice based on personal experience, because I am one of those people who became pagan because I was being pestered by gods. So finding an initial connection has never been too difficult for me.

However, figuring out WHO that deity is, is not always easy for me! Sometimes, I just have a little bit to go on, like you: the sea at nighttime. That is actually a good start! You could try researching deities that are tied to the ocean and/or night, and see where it gets you. Is there anything else about that visual that stands out? Any emotion?

As far as filtering out external influences, just trying to learn to listen to your heart and pay attention to any "tugs" you may feel, can be helpful.

well the visual the ocean was calm waves lapping gently at the shore cresent moon, cliffs and I got a very protected almost mothering feeling during this vision also my totem animal the crocodile was sleeping on the shore in this vision but he pops up alot in my visions he was just quiet not talking in this one.

Leirion

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://lilylionlabyrinth.wordpress.com
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 03:20:18 am »
Quote from: stellamaris777;142679
well the visual the ocean was calm waves lapping gently at the shore cresent moon, cliffs and I got a very protected almost mothering feeling during this vision also my totem animal the crocodile was sleeping on the shore in this vision but he pops up alot in my visions he was just quiet not talking in this one.

Then you have several clues you can use to try and see if this vision was tied to any deity in particular. Nighttime, the ocean, the (crescent) moon, cliffs, motherhood or nurturing, etc.

What I usually do at this point is go to Google and just start looking up those things. Like, "goddess associated with night and ocean". If you have a hunch of what pantheon she might be from, you can type that in, too.

I once had a vision of an old columned gate on a tiny island at sunset. Thanks to Google, I found out that it was an island called Dia/Naxos, and later experiences showed that Ariadne was trying to get my attention.

Also, these things can take a lot of time and patience. I would recommend just trying multiple times to ask who this deity might be, or to spend more time in that area during meditation and see if anything comes from it.

AthenaiiseSofia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://finnblack.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 01:29:39 pm »
Quote from: stellamaris777;142670

In my circle of pagan friends, the most common experience is that we do not necessarily "find" a deity connection. Usually, the deity has reached out to us.
As far as your dream goes, do your research. Or perhaps eventually the deity will reveal a name or more clues.
I think you're definitely on the right track, though.
"Go then and make of the world something beautiful, set up a light in the darkness." - from Awakening Osiris by Normandi Ellis

Tags: