Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Confusion with Interfaith/Mixed Faith  (Read 1234 times)

JaiBird

• View Profile
Confusion with Interfaith/Mixed Faith
« on: March 06, 2014, 10:07:47 pm »
So, hi.
I've dabbled in paganism before, but in the end always feel guilty and go back to my Jewish upbringing. But I can't seem to turn away from the fact that I just CONNECT with multiple gods. Even worse though, the gods I feel close to are Egyptian deities, whom Jews are supposed to completely stay away from. Hence the guilt.

So, I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me?
Is there anyway to find a balance, or make it work?

I can't turn away from my heritage, but I cannot seem to turn away from my kemetic inclinations..

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Re: Confusion with Interfaith/Mixed Faith
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 12:01:45 am »
Quote from: JaiBird;141859
So, hi.
I've dabbled in paganism before, but in the end always feel guilty and go back to my Jewish upbringing. But I can't seem to turn away from the fact that I just CONNECT with multiple gods. Even worse though, the gods I feel close to are Egyptian deities, whom Jews are supposed to completely stay away from. Hence the guilt.

I can't turn away from my heritage, but I cannot seem to turn away from my kemetic inclinations..

As I don't know nearly as much as I should about Judaism, I couldn't say whether or not you can or cannot mix practices, but coming from a Vatican 1 Catholic  (Wiccish-forcibly-turned Catholic) background, I understand the guilt part and also think maybe there's an area between can and cannot.

I still have chats with Jesus from time to time (the Christian God has made it clear He doesn't want me around). The reason I mention this is that if you're connected to multiple gods, you don't have to actively worship them; you can acknowledge them, and say hi and stuff...

You could always reach out via divination or godphone or something, see what both sides have to say on the matter. The important thing is not to rush! If you rush, you will regret it! (I know from bitter, bitter experience).

Just spend some time figuring things out with both sides of the spiritual aisle and then see what's in your heart.

Good luck to you!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 12:02:36 am by HarpingHawke »
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

WitchyOne

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 02:57:08 am »
I believe in reincarnation so, to me, it is understandable that you would be drawn to another culture or belief that you were not raised in.  

I am German/Irish/Danish/English/Scottish but I find more a sense of belonging with Egyptian/East Indian/Greek Gods and Goddesses.  I am open to learning more about the Celtic and Germanic ones but it is not what I am drawn to despite my heritage.

You may want to learn more about what early Judaism looked like.  

Also I am sure the Jews and Egyptians influenced one another in their beliefs.

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 05:29:39 am »
So, hi.

If it helps, I'm a Kemetic who's had good experiences with Ha-Shem, and had no angry gods on either side. I don't have Jewish ancestry, but He did seem to like me, so. Make of that what you will.

I don't know what sort of advice to offer, except perhaps trying to find a way to preserve your Jewish traditions as a way of honouring your ancestry, but following the gods you feel drawn to, if that's something you feel you might want to do. I have a shrine for the Saxon god Woden up, because it's tied to ancestry for me. But I still honour Sobek first, because He's my primary deity. I still honour the Christian traditions and holidays I was brought up with, because it's a way to connect with family and ancestry. That, and I really like Mary, so.

I don't know if you want to handle having two traditions, whether they're both religious, or if one is ancestral, but that's up to you to decide. Kemetic religion places a great importance on honouring our ancestors, and yes, in the past, those ancestors were Kemetic, but we're not all Kemetic now. We come from different countries and different religious backgrounds. But that doesn't make them any less our ancestors.

I also know there are some Jewish Pagans following a more polytheistic form of Judaism, if that's something you feel might be something you might want to look at. I don't have any links handy, but I know they exist. The orthopraxic nature of Judaism I think makes it a better fit for Pagan practices than perhaps Christianity or Islam, but I don't really have much experience there, so. I hope my rambling helps?
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

Chabas

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 05:56:07 am »
So, hi.

Here's the thing though - is it turning away from your heritage if you don't spend your time with family friends? My family - as many in the Western world - has been Christian generations back, and that was very important to them. I never had that click with that God though, so I went and found my own friends, so to speak. I still recognize the Christian God as a good family friend, and thus someone I do have a meaningful tie to, but it's more like the relationship I have with my parents' friends - I'm friendly with them when I run into them, and will catch up briefly, and I'm fine with running into them now and again - but they're not my friends, and I wouldn't seek them out unless I have a particular reason to.

Now certainly there are a lot of people not comfortable with that way of looking at deity relations - you should see some of the looks I get - but the point is, there is a lot between remaining Jewish and abandoning Judaism entirely, and what that range is, is primarily between you and your god(s). Just because you find that Judaism as it is lived by your family isn't for you, doesn't mean you don't value it, or have to abandon it entirely.

--Chabas

DavidMcCann

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 12:44:22 pm »
I've dabbled in paganism before, but in the end always feel guilty and go back to my Jewish upbringing. But I can't seem to turn away from the fact that I just CONNECT with multiple gods.

So did lots of people. When the Israelites crossed the Red Sea, they sang "Who is like thee, O Yahweh, among the gods?", so they recognised the others. Ahab consulted the prophets of all the gods on occasion. A century later, a king of Israel put up an inscription to Asherah. In Hellenistic times, the Jewish colony in Elephantine was still making dedications to Anat. And in Roman times, many small Jewish communities shared a place of worship with the Hypsistists (the God-fearers mentioned in the New Testament). On Saturday morning, it was a synagogue and no-one seems to have been troubled that in the afternoon the Hypsistists would be praying to Zeus and Apollo in the same building!

So you don't have to feel guilty! A lot of the exclusivity in both the time of the prophets and today comes from a natural "pulling up of drawbridges" when faced by very real threats.
Minorities are almost always in the right.
They haif said. Quhat say they? Lat thame say!

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 03:37:11 pm »
Quote from: WitchyOne;141878

A Reminder:
Hi, WitchyOne,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just  replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Sunflower, TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

stellamaris777

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 02:42:36 am »
So, hi.

Have you looked into the book the red tent it talks about the beginnings of judaism from anita diamants view point which I consider a good one the ancient jews actually had more than one God it has been proved they kept teraphim or household folk gods, and many women never left asherah behind.

And I don't connect with any of my heritage deities I don't think you have to have that heritage to work with that pantheon.

Tags: