Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Ill-Informed and Questioning Everything  (Read 2648 times)

Remo6899

• View Profile
Ill-Informed and Questioning Everything
« on: March 01, 2014, 09:50:06 pm »
So, I am very new to the Pagan religion and I want to know a lot more. I grew up in the "Bible Belt" and so everything other than christianity was horrible and completely not okay. I always accepted it, but now I think Paganism is something I would really like to look into. I have absolutely no resources or anything so any information would be amazing! I just really want to learn everything about Paganism. :D:
~Blessed Be

Tay Redgrave

• Journeyman
  • Devil May Cry's a rockin'
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheistic Hedgewitch
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: Ill-Informed and Questioning Everything
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 10:35:50 pm »
Quote from: Remo6899;141337
So, I am very new to the Pagan religion and I want to know a lot more. I grew up in the "Bible Belt" and so everything other than christianity was horrible and completely not okay. I always accepted it, but now I think Paganism is something I would really like to look into. I have absolutely no resources or anything so any information would be amazing! I just really want to learn everything about Paganism. :D:

Paganism is sort of an umbrella term and so it could describe a lot of religions such as Wicca, Christo-Paganism, Reconstructionism (Hellenic, Kemetic, Norse, Roman, etc.), so on and so forth (also some include Satanism and Luciferianism into the mix, too!).

So it's difficult to give you any resources or information because of that. It's a little easier if there is something in particular you are interested in, like a certain mythology or what not, but it's hard to give you much information otherwise. However, with that being said, you can probably start out here with the Pagan Primer. It should give you a bit of a start!

herkles

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 10:38:01 pm »

Paganism is not a single religion; their are a number of religious traditions and movements within the umbrella.  

I am curious are you wanting more on a reconstructed type religion; which look to rebuild the practices of ancient cultures. Some examples are: Hellenismos(Greek), Asatru(norse polytheism), Celtic Reconstuctionion(various celtic pantheons), Romuva(Lithuania), etc or Wicca? It is easier to help you, if we know what sort of religion are you looking into.

I can help you with some of the recons but as I am not and have never really practiced Wicca, I can't help you there. But others can! :)

Leirion

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://lilylionlabyrinth.wordpress.com
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 02:00:57 am »

I can sympathize with you, having also grown up in the Bible Belt. Luckily, my experience was really out of the norm for where I grew up, and I was exposed to a lot of different religions at a young age. (Although no form of paganism was one of them!).

As has already been pointed out, paganism is a huge umbrella term. Trying to look into it as a general thing can be pretty overwhelming. If you can narrow down your field of interest, people here will be able to help you more.

beith

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 11:21:00 am »
Quote from: Lokadyne;141338
However, with that being said, you can probably start out here with the Pagan Primer. It should give you a bit of a start!

This is an excellent suggestion.  You might also want to check out the Teens and Paganism FAQ.  Definitely not just for teens!

I've also found just browsing the forums to be helpful.  Useful beginner forums include Paganism for Beginners, Books and Other Resources, and the Special Interest Groups topics.

Remo6899

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 02:23:02 pm »

I think Wicca is something I would like more than anything.
~Blessed Be

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 02:40:36 pm »
Quote from: Remo6899;141386

Why do you think that?  What about Wicca interests you?

Note that I am not bashing Wicca, but trying to give you things to think about.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Tay Redgrave

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 08:33:05 pm »

Hopefully these sites will help you out a little, then:
The Celtic Connection's Wicca Section
Wicca: For The Rest of Us
Religious Tolerance's Wicca Page
I know this is a Canadian one but it might help you out: The Wiccan Church of Canada: FAQ about Wicca
And there's also the Witchvox, if you want to take a look at that!

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 10:09:55 pm »

What kinds of Wicca are you looking into?
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

A Disgruntled Scotsman

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 03:05:31 pm »
Quote from: Lokadyne;141338
Paganism is sort of an umbrella term and so it could describe a lot of religions such as Wicca, Christo-Paganism, Reconstructionism (Hellenic, Kemetic, Norse, Roman, etc.), so on and so forth (also some include Satanism and Luciferianism into the mix, too!).

At the risk of being unnecessarily pedantic; Hellenic, Kemetic, Norse & Roman paths are not inherently reconstructionist.  Reconstructionism involves recreating these respective religious practises while making as few concessions as possible to modern sensibilities.

One can be a Hellenic, Kemetic etc... Pagan without being a reconstructionist (colloquially called "recon").
/ | \\     Be The Awen!

Member of the British Druid Order.

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 04:34:02 pm »
Quote from: A Disgruntled Scotsman;141472
At the risk of being unnecessarily pedantic; Hellenic, Kemetic, Norse & Roman paths are not inherently reconstructionist.  Reconstructionism involves recreating these respective religious practises while making as few concessions as possible to modern sensibilities.

One can be a Hellenic, Kemetic etc... Pagan without being a reconstructionist (colloquially called "recon").

I read it as Lokadyne mentioning some of the varieties of reconstructionism, and not necessarily that these adjectives belonged only to reconstructionism.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Tay Redgrave

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 04:58:31 pm »
Quote from: Juni;141479
I read it as Lokadyne mentioning some of the varieties of reconstructionism, and not necessarily that these adjectives belonged only to reconstructionism.

I was. I am well aware that one can call themselves a Heathen or Hellenic (or alternately; Norse (or any alternative term) Polytheist or Hellenic Polytheist) without being a recon or following a recon path. I wasn't trying to say or imply that you have to be a recon to use those adjectives or those adjectives belong to reconstructionism only.

Remo6899

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 06:31:43 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;141388
Why do you think that?  What about Wicca interests you?

Note that I am not bashing Wicca, but trying to give you things to think about.

I am honestly not sure what drew me to Wicca. I just read a little about different Pagan religions and Wicca really called out to me.
~Blessed Be

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
  • Religion: Wicca & Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 06:03:02 pm »
Quote from: Remo6899;141706
I am honestly not sure what drew me to Wicca. I just read a little about different Pagan religions and Wicca really called out to me.

Here's my "standard advice to overwhelmed beginners":

1. Start a journal. I like inexpensive spiral-bound notebooks, myself. But you can get a fancy book, a blank sketchbook, use an online blog, a text file on your PC, whatever is easiest for you to work with.

2. In that journal, you're going to sort yourself out. Question to ask could include:
- What do I like about my current faith, and what do I dislike?
- Am I looking for community and fellowship, or do I like to work alone?
- How do I learn best? In a class setting? One on one with a mentor? Alone from books?
- What do I feel about the nature of deity? Are there many gods? Only one? Is "God" everywhere? Distantly on high?
- What do I like about the idea of paganism? Doing magic? Being closer to nature? Connecting with ancestors?
- What cultures/topics am I specifically interested in researching?
- Etc, etc, etc.

All of the great advice and beginner links in the world aren't really going to help unless you have some idea of what you're looking for. Pagan paths aren't out there to tell you what to believe, although they can open your mind to new ways of thinking.

And having some sort of plan in place will help you not waste your time. I mean, you don't just go to the airport and hop on the first plane you find. You plan a trip, at least somewhat. This is the same sort of idea.

Karen

AthenaiiseSofia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://finnblack.blogspot.com/
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 01:35:47 pm »
Quote from: dragonfaerie;141989
Here's my "standard advice to overwhelmed beginners":

1. Start a journal. I like inexpensive spiral-bound notebooks, myself. But you can get a fancy book, a blank sketchbook, use an online blog, a text file on your PC, whatever is easiest for you to work with.

2. In that journal, you're going to sort yourself out. Question to ask could include:
- What do I like about my current faith, and what do I dislike?
- Am I looking for community and fellowship, or do I like to work alone?
- How do I learn best? In a class setting? One on one with a mentor? Alone from books?
- What do I feel about the nature of deity? Are there many gods? Only one? Is "God" everywhere? Distantly on high?
- What do I like about the idea of paganism? Doing magic? Being closer to nature? Connecting with ancestors?
- What cultures/topics am I specifically interested in researching?
- Etc, etc, etc.

All of the great advice and beginner links in the world aren't really going to help unless you have some idea of what you're looking for. Pagan paths aren't out there to tell you what to believe, although they can open your mind to new ways of thinking.

And having some sort of plan in place will help you not waste your time. I mean, you don't just go to the airport and hop on the first plane you find. You plan a trip, at least somewhat. This is the same sort of idea.

Karen

GREAT advice. I still journal like that even years into Paganism, so I can get an overview of where I stand on my path. Sometimes I realize that I'm still in the mindset of miles back, but I'm standing somewhere totally different!

This was basically what I would have told the OP. Either that or just research like mad. But I understand not everyone likes to read and absorb info like my nerdy self does haha.
"Go then and make of the world something beautiful, set up a light in the darkness." - from Awakening Osiris by Normandi Ellis

Tags: