collapse

Author Topic: Feminism and the "Wussyfication" of Men  (Read 8002 times)

Merin

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Feminism and the "Wussyfication" of Men
« on: January 19, 2014, 05:29:37 pm »
From the Huffington Post:

Elisabeth Hasselbeck asked a guest on Thursday whether he believes that feminism is hurting American's national security.

Nick Adams argued in his new book "American Boomerang" that men around the world are no longer allowed to be "manly." In an appearance on Thursday's "Fox and Friends," he said it was a "dangerous" phenomenon, claiming, "American men are of course very susceptible to it. It's really important particularly in America given the leadership role that America has in the world that American men be allowed to be men."

"Is this in direct relation to feminism on the rise?" Hasselbeck asked. "Is it a result just sort of society seeing men that are not as masculine and men that are as masculine being kind of demonized?"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/17/elisabeth-hasselbeck-feminism_n_4619669.html

Thoughts?  In the meantime, my head will be meeting the desk...repeatedly.

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Feminism and the "Wussyfication" of Men
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 05:37:20 pm »
Quote from: Merin;136982
From the Huffington Post:

Elisabeth Hasselbeck asked a guest on Thursday whether he believes that feminism is hurting American's national security.

Nick Adams argued in his new book "American Boomerang" that men around the world are no longer allowed to be "manly." In an appearance on Thursday's "Fox and Friends," he said it was a "dangerous" phenomenon, claiming, "American men are of course very susceptible to it. It's really important particularly in America given the leadership role that America has in the world that American men be allowed to be men."

"Is this in direct relation to feminism on the rise?" Hasselbeck asked. "Is it a result just sort of society seeing men that are not as masculine and men that are as masculine being kind of demonized?"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/17/elisabeth-hasselbeck-feminism_n_4619669.html

I for one am glad that men are not always expected to be as traditionally "manly" as  has historically been dictated, hetero-patriarchal masculinity is toxic to everyone
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

DavidMcCann

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 05:50:24 pm »
It's really important particularly in America given the leadership role that America has in the world that American men be allowed to be men."

It's a pity that man not's a dog: he needs muzzling, and castration might help, too. Men "being men" and exercising "leadership" gave us every pointless and bloody war in my lifetime.
Minorities are almost always in the right.
They haif said. Quhat say they? Lat thame say!

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 05:53:15 pm »
Quote from: DavidMcCann;136985
It's a pity that man not's a dog: he needs muzzling, and castration might help, too. Men "being men" and exercising "leadership" gave us every pointless and bloody war in my lifetime.

... I don't think that's the way to go around changing things? It's a massive breach of bodily autonomy for a start.
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 06:02:34 pm »

Thoughts? Making me even prouder to be a social justice warrior.

*sharpens Blade of +2 Sexist Cutting*
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Merin

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 06:21:41 pm »
Quote from: Sage;136987

Indeed.  Thank you for your service to social justice. :)

What I think is really interesting is in the video the co-host said "How do we raise girls and girls and boys as boys without the stereotypes?" (paraphrased).  My initial reaction was to sneer and think well, that's the whole point.  Our US culture raises boys and girls to be boys and girls of the restrictive binary stereotype.  And this whole topic reinforces that ideology.  

But, it is an interesting point.  How do we raise our children without the stereotypes?  Maybe, for once, we can just let our children be themselves?

beachglass

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 06:43:51 pm »
Quote from: maybeimawitch;136986
... I don't think that's the way to go around changing things? It's a massive breach of bodily autonomy for a start.

Not to mention that the idea that men can't control themselves is insulting, and doesn't actually do any good for women, either.
"The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."  ~ Robert Smith

kiarakapow

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 09:26:46 pm »
Quote from: Sage;136987

^^^I second that.
though i'm not sure if I should be called a warrior exactly. more like a baby warrior

Foxface

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 07:33:54 am »

Whether it's a direct result? I think it's more a result of this increasing acceptance of men being who they sometimes desire to be. To me a 'man' is merely a vessel to carry all that gooey stuff like personality, attitude, gender expression and so on. I don't consider this change of men accepting their feminine sides a bad thing. It isn't wussyfication (cool word). It's reality as progress has dictated. I am a male in body and mind. I have absolutely no doubt that I am 100% male in body and mind (in that I have no dysphoria or confusion).

The thing is me being a 'man' stops there. I don't like to suscribe to the typically male stereotypes in the world and frankly I don't like to subscribe to the typically female sterotypes in the world. If there is even such a so-called mindset. In fact one of my proudest personal accomplishments in my personal world (and believe me I have a heck of a lot of faults) is that I've reached a mindset where I am just foxface (obviously not my real name). I am not tending towards male or female, I am tending towards me.

If you ask me the whole of society (male and female) needs to sensitize a little bit. However, I am not ashamed to say that the male set of the population could probably use that lesson more than the females

so no...feminism is not wussifying our nation, it's simply continuing to bring to light the concept that we can just be who we are without worrying about people putting us down

and that's a positive to me

Foxface

Gilbride

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 09:34:47 am »
It's really important particularly in America given the leadership role that America has in the world that American men be allowed to be men."

And yet those poetry-reading, moon-viewing, flower-arranging, gay-friendly samurai warriors somehow managed to be death on wheels despite having a rather different conception of masculinity. This kind of attitude is pretty funny to me as a military history buff.

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 09:52:04 am »
Quote from: Gilbride;137132
And yet those poetry-reading, moon-viewing, flower-arranging, gay-friendly samurai warriors somehow managed to be death on wheels despite having a rather different conception of masculinity. This kind of attitude is pretty funny to me as a military history buff.

Now imagining an elite hit squad of bouquet-wielding poets riding Segways at pride festivals...
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

zmeadow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 12:01:48 pm »
To me it is all about balance.  The women in my life like it when I am around to lift something heavy, shoot a rabid raccoon in the chicken coop, protect them from some bump in the night sound, or change a flat tire.

But I don't get into silly road rage things on the highway, watch football, hunt for anything but subsistence, or try to talk tough (or start wars), activities like some men get totally carried away with.  

And I do take the women in my life out at night to dance in the woods, share how in touch they are with all that is gentle and simple and beautiful in the world.

Balance, it is a simple concept.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 12:09:33 pm »
Quote from: zmeadow;137149
And I do take the women in my life out at night to dance in the woods, share how in touch they are with all that is gentle and simple and beautiful in the world.

I think the word you're looking for is not 'balance' but 'gender essentialism'? I mean, yeah, I do the heavy lifting for my wife, but I don't think either of us has danced in the woods since our scouting days and I'm the one who advocates for simplicity in the household, and I'm sure as hell more gentle than her.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Feminism and the "Wussyfication" of Men
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 12:09:53 pm »
Quote from: zmeadow;137149
To me it is all about balance.  The women in my life like it when I am around to lift something heavy, shoot a rabid raccoon in the chicken coop, protect them from some bump in the night sound, or change a flat tire.

But I don't get into silly road rage things on the highway, watch football, hunt for anything but subsistence, or try to talk tough (or start wars), activities like some men get totally carried away with.  

*snrk* Yeah, because I totally need a man to protect me from sounds in the night. Calling shenanigans on the white-knight gender-essentialist nonsense. I suppose I've never butchered a deer, either. Good to know.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

zmeadow

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 12:40:36 pm »
Quote from: Jack;137151
I think the word you're looking for is not 'balance' but 'gender essentialism'?

New here, what is "gender essentialism"?

Tags: