collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Pheremones (Love Potion Magickal Perfumerie)  (Read 3246 times)

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Pheremones (Love Potion Magickal Perfumerie)
« on: January 12, 2014, 05:42:41 pm »
(Not really sure of the best place to put this thread...)

I recently learned about Love Potions Magkical Perfumerie ( http://www.lovepotionperfume.com/).  The whole idea of intentionally using pheromones to achieve various goals (mood elevation, popularity, encouraging openness, love, sex, etc.) fascinates me.  Though I can also see how it could be used in a creepy way, too.

Just wondering if anyone here has used any of their products or any similar products -- magically or not -- and what you thought about them.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Enid

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Pheremones (Love Potion Magickal Perfumerie)
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 11:28:37 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;136064
(Not really sure of the best place to put this thread...)

I recently learned about Love Potions Magkical Perfumerie ( http://www.lovepotionperfume.com/).  The whole idea of intentionally using pheromones to achieve various goals (mood elevation, popularity, encouraging openness, love, sex, etc.) fascinates me.  Though I can also see how it could be used in a creepy way, too.

Just wondering if anyone here has used any of their products or any similar products -- magically or not -- and what you thought about them.

I remember pheremore perfumes being a big deal a few years ago. Research shows that they do work, at least on a base sexual level.
Crazy, Skeptic Pagan - Just a skeptical druid blogging about religion, mental illness, and whatever else triggers my fancy

The Little Rock Pagan Meetup - Come Meet Some Awesome Pagans!

Ecco

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/ford.rachel
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 12:01:28 am »
I use to never think pheromones could work in such a powerful way, but then I met someone who I didn't find physically attractive but had this weird hold on me. Spell mayhaps? Or probably just pheromones. I personally have found anything vanilla scented is ....."inspiring" and although I have yet to try it in a spell (love magic intimidates me with the very idea of it)  It may be effective. Or that's just my own personal pitfall ;)

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 12:41:04 am »
Quote from: Enid;136098
I remember pheremore perfumes being a big deal a few years ago. Research shows that they do work, at least on a base sexual level.

I don't recall them being a big deal, but I miss a lot of trends because of the not caring.  ;-)

But, yeah, I get the science behind pheromones and how they work at a chemical level. I guess I'm curious about *how well* they work.

And, if I understand correctly, they're not just for enhancing sexual attractiveness.  The site I linked to advertises various formulas for things like mood elevation, calming, bonding, popularity, inspiring openness, enhancing prosperity, job success, etc. And they sell pheromone formulas combined with scents designed with the "magical" properties of the substances, as well as their scents, in mind.  (I put "magical" in quotes there because I have no idea where they're getting their info on those properties.)

I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried products like the pheromone perfumes (and the ones with "copulins"), whether for sexual attraction or another little, and what kind of results you got. Also, if anyone knows anything about that particular company.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 12:45:28 am »
Quote from: sihaya;136104
I use to never think pheromones could work in such a powerful way, but then I met someone who I didn't find physically attractive but had this weird hold on me. Spell mayhaps? Or probably just pheromones.

Interesting.  Did you have any reason to think the person cast spells?

I think many -- maybe most -- of us have experienced an inexplicable physical attraction to someone unlikely.  I know I have.  Maybe it is just pheromones.  IDK.

I
 I personally have found anything vanilla scented is ....."inspiring" and although I have yet to try it in a spell (love magic intimidates me with the very idea of it)  It may be effective. Or that's just my own personal pitfall ;)

I understand.  I think it's intimidating, too. And seems...I don't know...unsporting?  ;-)  I don't do magic -- intentionally, anyway -- so I'm probably not a good judge.

But I'm not opposed to using chemistry.  ;-)

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 06:16:33 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;136107

And, if I understand correctly, they're not just for enhancing sexual attractiveness.  The site I linked to advertises various formulas for things like mood elevation, calming, bonding, popularity, inspiring openness, enhancing prosperity, job success, etc.

Well, yes. There are those dog or cat pheromone diffuser - like Feliway - to help calming nervous animals. Pheromones are used widely and I think per se they do work. And in humans, too, because we all are way more lizzard-brain driven, than we like to know or to admit.

I remember a test, where they put tiny amounts of male pheromone on different seats in a waiting area. All those seats were taken up by women, no matter how often they repeated the test.

If those special products do work, I can't tell tho'.
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

dionysiandame

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 10:28:15 am »
Quote from: Tana;136121
Well, yes. There are those dog or cat pheromone diffuser - like Feliway - to help calming nervous animals. Pheromones are used widely and I think per se they do work. And in humans, too, because we all are way more lizzard-brain driven, than we like to know or to admit.

I remember a test, where they put tiny amounts of male pheromone on different seats in a waiting area. All those seats were taken up by women, no matter how often they repeated the test.

Tana just basically called us Silurians. Are we going to let her get away that?! Yes?...we..we are? Okay.

But on the serious tip when I worked in one of the local "couples boutiques" , the massage oils and body sprays that contained pheremones were some of our best sellers so I think it's kinda cool this stuff is becoming more mainstream.

I wouldn't mind trying a few of these out.
Writ, Ritual, and Revelation - Where I wax poetic about nothing at all.
2 Mallards and Thyme- Gastronomy, History, Odds & Ends
Become my latest obsession on Goodreads

He keeps me with all of his other pretty things for I am just another pretty thing in a long list of acquisitions.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 01:09:26 pm »
Quote from: dionysiandame;136136
Tana just basically called us Silurians. Are we going to let her get away that?! Yes?...we..we are? Okay.

I don't think we have a choice.  

Besides, honestly, I like the Silurians way better than I like a lot of humans, so......... yeah.

But on the serious tip when I worked in one of the local "couples boutiques" , the massage oils and body sprays that contained pheremones were some of our best sellers so I think it's kinda cool this stuff is becoming more mainstream.

Interesting.  Were those products otherwise similar to products without pheremones?

I wouldn't mind trying a few of these out.

I'm thinking about it.  I'll probably start with one of the little trial sizes that are under $10.  That feels like a reasonable investment for an experiment that might actually pay off.

I just want to mull the ethical implications a little more.   Anyone have any thoughts about that aspect?

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 01:11:17 pm »
Well, yes. There are those dog or cat pheromone diffuser - like Feliway - to help calming nervous animals. Pheromones are used widely and I think per se they do work.

Yeah, I've heard of those products, too, but didn't think of them until you mentioned them.

And in humans, too, because we all are way more lizzard-brain driven, than we like to know or to admit.

Interesting test!

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 01:18:19 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;136159
I just want to mull the ethical implications a little more.   Anyone have any thoughts about that aspect?

Honestly, I don't see any problem. It's a tool, like any other. I can sort of see a creep factor (it brings to mind Owen from the pilot episode of Torchwood) it doesn't take away a person's ability to choose, and I don't think it's necessarily more influential or manipulative on a subconscious level than our clothing choices or body language.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 02:45:18 pm »
Quote from: Juni;136161
Honestly, I don't see any problem.

Me neither.
There is a reason certain scents get picked over others for a sensual, sexy perfume and that for a long time now. Heck, people even used and still use animal pheromones, like musk.
It's just giving yourself an edge. If someone isn't really interested, there is no way that a perfume with a touch of pheromones would turn them into a willing sex slave. ;)
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 03:05:43 am »

A Reminder:
Hi, sihaya,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just  replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Sunflower, TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 03:29:20 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;136064

I'm pretty skeptical. At the scientific-research level, it still hasn't been fully established whether humans have pheromones, how they function if we do, etc - see, f'ex, this article. Yeah, it was published ten years ago - but it strikes me as improbable for the field to have gone from that point, to the level of commercial availability indicated by your link, in a mere 10 years.

So whatever this company have in their products, it's almost certainly not pheromones in the 'human biochemistry' sense.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 12:57:45 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;136252
So whatever this company have in their products, it's almost certainly not pheromones in the 'human biochemistry' sense.

Sunflower

Thanks for the link.  (You know how hard it is for me to do research like that anymore, so I really appreciate you taking the time!)

Definitely more to think about.

The Love Potion Perfumerie does list the specific chemicals in at least some of its formulas (a few are listed as "proprietary").  But I certainly don't know enough about chemistry to have any idea about whether they're effective or even legit.

One of the types of chemicals they talk about are "copulins", which -- if I understand correctly -- are not pheremones but kinda work in a roughly similar way.  I see a few things on the web about copulins,  but not a whole lot.  And copulins are about sex (at least primarily), while pheremones have a variety of roles.

It looks like there's not a lot of *conclusive* evidence about the effectiveness of deliberately using pheremones and/or copulins, but there *is* a fair amount of anecdotal testimony.   Kinda like magic...  ;-)

Viv

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 03:30:35 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;136272
Thanks for the link.  (You know how hard it is for me to do research like that anymore, so I really appreciate you taking the time!)

Definitely more to think about.

The Love Potion Perfumerie does list the specific chemicals in at least some of its formulas (a few are listed as "proprietary").  But I certainly don't know enough about chemistry to have any idea about whether they're effective or even legit.

One of the types of chemicals they talk about are "copulins", which -- if I understand correctly -- are not pheremones but kinda work in a roughly similar way.  I see a few things on the web about copulins,  but not a whole lot.  And copulins are about sex (at least primarily), while pheremones have a variety of roles.

It looks like there's not a lot of *conclusive* evidence about the effectiveness of deliberately using pheremones and/or copulins, but there *is* a fair amount of anecdotal testimony.   Kinda like magic...  ;-)

I don't know a lot about manufactured pheromones so I have no clue if they would work as well on humans as the ones our bodies naturally create. I have, however, heard of copulins.

In Anatomy & Physiology II, we were told copulins signal ovulation to begin and are related to vaginal aliphatic acids.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 03:34:07 pm by Viv »
"As every cat lover knows, nobody owns a cat." ~Ellen Perry Berkeley

AKA: windshadow; hesperia

Tags: