collapse

Author Topic: Christopagan, Christian Witch?  (Read 16945 times)

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Christopagan, Christian Witch?
« Reply #90 on: April 23, 2014, 12:21:45 am »
Quote from: Jack;145618

I can't stop laughing.

I didn't think you would actually do it, but I hoped you would? This is *the best*.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 23, 2014, 12:24:02 am »
Quote from: Naomi J;145633
It's not popular with fundamentalists here. I went to five or six very scary churches over twenty years, that all used either the NIV or the New Revised Standard. They didn't like the KJV for its lack of accuracy as a translation.

I wonder if it's a regional thing? (Then again, I am completely unfamiliar with fundamentalism in Canada, although I am sure it is A Thing; but I have no idea what kind of Bibles they use.)
On the Rivers

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 23, 2014, 12:27:15 am »
Quote from: Finn;145623
Winter solstice is mine. MINE I TELL YOU.

Please to forward all of your seasonal gifts to me from now on. And your baked goods.

Can I claim Bealltainn due to being the closest without going over (depending on which direction is 'over')? :ange:
On the Rivers

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 23, 2014, 08:56:50 am »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;146001
Can I claim Bealltainn due to being the closest without going over (depending on which direction is 'over')? :ange:

Well, the entire winter season is one long orgy of gift-taking for me. It starts Christmas eve, when I open the presents at my parents' house, then the next day, all my other presents. Then after that....MUWAHAHAA IT'S BIRTHDAY SEASON BITCHES. My birthday is on January 12th, which is I think the perfect time of year. Close enough to just ask for whatever I didn't get for Christmas, but not too close that it gets lumped together in one "Oh, here's your Christmas AND Birthday Present!"

I irrationally think of my birthday as "Twelfth Night" even though that's really the twelfth day after CHRISTMAS. This year I didn't take my tree down until after my Birthday. Because damn it, that's how I roll.

January Twelfth, bitches. It's not an official holiday...yet.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 08:57:18 am by Redfaery »
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

beith

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 23, 2014, 10:54:44 am »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;146000
I wonder if it's a regional thing? (Then again, I am completely unfamiliar with fundamentalism in Canada, although I am sure it is A Thing; but I have no idea what kind of Bibles they use.)

That's what I'm thinking.  In the US I've never heard of fundamentalists using anything other than the King James Version.  I actually thought fundamentalist Christianity was just a US phenomenon.  Oops.  Maybe they keep to themselves a bit more in Canada and/or the UK?

I should narrow that down to the eastern half of the US.  I try to avoid the fundamentalists out West here...they're a bit scary to me.  Random compounds in which believers live and lots of protesting/adding horrible amendments of the state constitution to the ballot.  So I'm not at all familiar with which Bible they use.

Thank you again, TC, for expanding my knowledge beyond my own little bubble in the world.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #95 on: April 23, 2014, 11:09:12 am »
Quote from: beith;146037
That's what I'm thinking.  In the US I've never heard of fundamentalists using anything other than the King James Version.  I actually thought fundamentalist Christianity was just a US phenomenon.  Oops.  Maybe they keep to themselves a bit more in Canada and/or the UK?

I can't speak for Canadian experience - but in the UK, no, not at all.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Chabas

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 23, 2014, 11:10:43 am »
Quote from: Naomi J;146038

I can confirm the existence of Christian fundamentalists in the Netherlands. They do not use the KJV, for obvious reasons. ;)

--Chabas

beith

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 23, 2014, 11:48:18 am »
Quote from: Naomi J;146038

Well, there goes my romantic vision of the UK being a wonderful liberal retreat in case things don't work out for me here.  Still SO EXCITED about making my first visit this summer, though!

I'll still have some make believe time browsing the Canadian immigration website and pictures of Manitoulin Island when I'm having a rough day, though.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
« Reply #98 on: April 23, 2014, 11:53:28 am »
Quote from: beith;146043
Well, there goes my romantic vision of the UK being a wonderful liberal retreat in case things don't work out for me here.  Still SO EXCITED about making my first visit this summer, though!

It is and it isn't. We think about religion very differently from the way people do in the US. We're a secularized country*, and it's considered the height of rudeness to discuss religion in polite company. But, like everywhere else that has freedom of religion, we have all sorts of flavours and traditions. Not as many religious conservatives as you have, though, because Christianity is largely in decline here.

Politically, though, our government is currently very conservative.

*Ignore the official Church of England. They're akin to our way of having a queen - they look all distinguished and don't actually have much real power.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 11:54:02 am by Naomi J »
- Doctor Who

Vale

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2014, 03:52:25 pm »
Quote from: Naomi J;146044

*Ignore the official Church of England. They're akin to our way of having a queen - they look all distinguished and don't actually have much real power.

Other the presence of all those Bishops in the House of Lords and the stranglehold they have over our shopping habits....

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2014, 03:53:54 pm »
Quote from: Vale;146195
Other the presence of all those Bishops in the House of Lords and the stranglehold they have over our shopping habits....

I go back and forth on whether that actually involves any power. The House of Lords doesn't have any real power anymore. Still,  disestablishment with no more illusion of power would certainly be better for the country.
- Doctor Who

Vale

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2014, 04:09:28 pm »
Quote from: Naomi J;146196
 disestablishment with no more illusion of power would certainly be better for the country.

Fortunately the C of E is not established in Wales.  But they still managed to stop me visiting the garden centre last Sunday!

BlessedMoonChild

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 23, 2014, 02:07:08 pm »
Quote from: Shadowlark;133798
Hi.

As you guys know, I am new to the site. And I have something I'd like to discuss.

Christo-paganism, Christian Witchery. Most would say that the two cannot be blended together, but I am curious to learn why some Christian Witches would say otherwise. the bible condemns practice of magic countless times, so I feel like you'd be contradicting yourself being a Christian Witch. Now I am not trying to downtalk this path, I am just expressing my confusion about it. Personally, even though I can't conform to mainstream Christianity, I still love Jesus, I've experienced Him in my life a lot and He has done a lot of healing in me and others I know. I've had answered prayers and gained insights from the Bible.

Not too long ago I met a woman who is a Witch, but she told me she has a personal relationship with Jesus. If I could understand how this is possible, that would be great. What would a Christian Witch say to the Bible verses that condemn magic and witchcraft? How would it work being a Christian and a Pagan/Witch?

I can't get myself to deny Christ. I could write a separate post on why that is so, but it's too much to explain here. My problem is, I love Jesus and the message of it, but there are so many things I can't agree with in the Christian religion. For one, I am bisexual and I can't get myself to compress my attraction to women as well as men. It's who I am and I am proud of it. But Christianity says homosexuality is an abomination and it's unnatural and it has no place for a Christians. There are also some things I've read that were very brutal..like the mass murders done by God and the countless laws He layed unto the Israelites that I didn't understand, like circumcision or no tattoos or i could go on. (not trying to downtalk Christianity either, i'm just being real right now, and these are my opinions/thoughts)

I also feel very connected to Paganism/Wicca/earth based spiritualities. I like working with elements, crystals, etc, and I am also drawn to a Goddess..not just a God. I feel like the two Divine beings, male and female, make up the All..if that makes sense. I don't feel like doing rituals is evil. But I feel like I'm the rope in tug a war, being pulled to Christ one way, and being pulled to Paganism/Wicca/earth based spirituality another way.

I must add that I have learned a bit on how Christianity has Pagan roots. Some aspects of Christianity are in fact, Pagan. Ancient gods were turned into saints. That's just one example.

Anyways, a part of me feels like being a Christian Witch is possible, but I need to understand their responses to Biblical scriptures and how they go about practicing magic and loving Jesus at the same time. Deep down I have this feeling that this path might be calling to me. But I don't want to get into anything with a blindfold, I want to understand this uncommon but rather intriguing path.

thanks

If you would like , feel free to email me , I may be able to help you with your tug of war feeling possibly as I too am a Christ-pagan -- I was a Christian that fought with my own beliefs as well and someone helped to show me information to help me better decide my own path . I hope to help you :) Stacie.wirth@gmail.com

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #103 on: October 23, 2014, 05:39:15 pm »
Quote from: BlessedMoonChild;163316
If you would like , feel free to email me , I may be able to help you with your tug of war feeling possibly as I too am a Christ-pagan -- I was a Christian that fought with my own beliefs as well and someone helped to show me information to help me better decide my own path . I hope to help you :) Stacie.wirth@gmail.com

Hello! You may not have noticed but the OP hasn't visited the board in about ten months, so it doesn't seem likely your reply will be seen.

If you want to have a conversation about Christopaganism in general, though, you can do so in any of the threads about Christopaganism or even make your own! The topic has come up several times lately so you'll probably find other people who want to discuss it with you.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Tags: