Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: STAFF ANNOUNCEMENT: Thread Necromancy and Welcoming  (Read 3529 times)

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
STAFF ANNOUNCEMENT: Thread Necromancy and Welcoming
« on: December 23, 2013, 08:04:38 am »
There's been a problem lately of bringing back threads from long ago without adding any real information to them, including welcoming threads.  And while TC has always accepted bringing back old discussions when there is something to add, please, have something substantive to add.  Not a welcome, not a "yeah, me too!" or something like that.

It's not a big deal for people who check the board regularly throughout the day, but believe me, when you only check once or twice a day, all those extra "yeah me too" posts from old threads start to really eat up time and energy.  So if it's an old thread, just please, think for a second, "Am I adding anything?"

This is a reminder and a request, not a STAFF SMASH moment.  Just one of those things to make reading and participating easier for everyone.  Thank you!

HeartShadow - Senior Staff

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: STAFF ANNOUNCEMENT: Thread Necromancy and Welcoming
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 07:36:22 am »
Quote from: HeartShadow;133722
There's been a problem lately of bringing back threads from long ago without adding any real information to them, including welcoming threads.  And while TC has always accepted bringing back old discussions when there is something to add, please, have something substantive to add.  Not a welcome, not a "yeah, me too!" or something like that.

It's not a big deal for people who check the board regularly throughout the day, but believe me, when you only check once or twice a day, all those extra "yeah me too" posts from old threads start to really eat up time and energy.  So if it's an old thread, just please, think for a second, "Am I adding anything?"

This is a reminder and a request, not a STAFF SMASH moment.  Just one of those things to make reading and participating easier for everyone.  Thank you!

I'd like to add a few hints and pointers about this.

If your interest is caught by a thread title in the 'Similar Threads' section at the bottom of a thread page, there is a very good chance that it's an older thread. The older a thread is, the more likely it is that some of those participating in it aren't around any more.

If you use the New Posts function to read TC, it's a good idea to make a point of going into a thread using the button that takes you to the first unread post in the thread (Tapatalk does this by default; otherwise, it's a blue button with two downpointing arrows to the left of the thread title). If it doesn't take you to the first post, but the thread doesn't seem familiar to you, it is very likely an old thread that someone has necromanced. (It's also a good idea, when using the New Posts function, to check what forum or SIG you're in before replying.)

When responding to a particular person in an old thread, it's a good idea to see if they've been around lately. You can check this by looking at the profile sidebar on the post; under their avatar, you will see, first, Join Date (the month and year they joined TC), and, second, Last Online (date and time they were last logged in to TC). That doesn't necessarily mean you shouldn't post your response - it might be that what you have to say could be useful to someone else - but it does mean that the person you're replying to won't see it (unless/until they come back, and if they remember to look at that thread).

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 01:31:34 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;133722

Bumping the thread, as a reminder to all. Please (re)read!

Sunflower
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 01:32:57 pm by SunflowerP »
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 09:21:43 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;145193
Bumping the thread, as a reminder to all. Please (re)read!

Sunflower

I have an unproven but sneaking suspicion that nobody is actually reading this. I just saw one resurrected from 2011 in reply to a banned member. WTF PEOPLE
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 09:43:40 pm »
Quote from: Allaya;145590
I have an unproven but sneaking suspicion that nobody is actually reading this. I just saw one resurrected from 2011 in reply to a banned member. WTF PEOPLE

You are not the only one with this suspicion.

Aranel

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 05:11:09 am »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;145594
You are not the only one with this suspicion.

I've got the same suspicion.

baduhmtisss

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Undefined
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 08:12:39 pm »
Quote from: Aranel;145928
I've got the same suspicion.

Ditto.
Undefined religion | Parrot Mom | Disaster Reservist

beachglass

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 10:24:18 pm »
Quote from: Allaya;145590

On the Ravelry forums a little note appears above the reply box when one starts a response to a "stale" message. Nothing too obtrusive, just calling the user's attention to the fact that the thread is old. I wonder if such a feature would be possible with this board software?
"The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."  ~ Robert Smith

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 07:48:09 am »
Quote from: beachglass;145978
I wonder if such a feature would be possible with this board software?

I can't find such a feature.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 08:22:18 am »
Quote from: beachglass;145978
On the Ravelry forums a little note appears above the reply box when one starts a response to a "stale" message. Nothing too obtrusive, just calling the user's attention to the fact that the thread is old. I wonder if such a feature would be possible with this board software?

Ravelry has an in-house code monkey who built the site from the ground up and continues to run it with a staff of one.  Very different situation than we've got here, but I agree it's a nice feature.

Brina

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 08:58:10 am »
Quote from: yewberry;146029
Ravelry has an in-house code monkey who built the site from the ground up and continues to run it with a staff of one.  Very different situation than we've got here, but I agree it's a nice feature.

Brina

There are vBulletin mods for thread bumping. I don't know how Randall's got things running under the hood here, but it is a theoretical possibility.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

beachglass

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 01:05:52 pm »
Quote from: Allaya;146031
There are vBulletin mods for thread bumping. I don't know how Randall's got things running under the hood here, but it is a theoretical possibility.

I did a little poking around, and there are a few. Unfortunately they have a tendency to be created and then abandoned. I don't know if it's a good idea to add a mod that is unsupported or might be out of support soon; we don't want to create a bigger problem than we solve.

With that caveat, this mod appears to be similar to what we're discussing.
"The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."  ~ Robert Smith

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 08:56:07 pm »
Quote from: beachglass;146050
With that caveat, this mod appears to be similar to what we're discussing.

That certainly fits what I would want in such a mod.

Sunflower

Tags: