collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: The Origin of Your Faith/Religious Beliefs  (Read 1700 times)

Sebseb

• View Profile
The Origin of Your Faith/Religious Beliefs
« on: November 27, 2013, 08:02:42 pm »
So, I'm curious as to how everyone came about their religion. What are some of the ways you guys discovered which religion clicked with you?

Were you introduced by someone else? If so, who and how?

Did you discover it yourself? By which route? A book, article, a forum? A movie/documentary?

Were you raised that way?

Were you fed up with your previous religion and went on a journey of discovery?

Please start by stating which specific religion (if indeed it is a specific religion) and then explain your journey to your new-found faith. I'm quite curious.:)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 08:22:47 am by RandallS »
My Blog: Where I talk about my life. http://sebastianweitzeil.wordpress.com/

Lionrhod

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lionrhod.com
Re: The Origin of Your Faith
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 09:01:00 pm »
Quote from: Sebseb;130914
So, I'm curious as to how everyone came about their religion. What are some of the ways you guys discovered which religion clicked with you? religion) and then explain your journey to your new-found faith. I'm quite curious.:)

I was raised in an athiest/agnostic household. Perhaps it's an inherited thing because I have grandmothers on both sides who are strong psychics. As a child I saw faeries, ghosts and other unexplained things.

By the time I was 9 or so, I was already researching magick. When I was 15 my mother's best friend, a Quaker, gave me a copy of Spiral Dance. From that point I started to "get" that "witch" was the word that most closely defined my belief.
When given a choice between black and white, choose purple.
SpellCraft Secrets: The Art of Creating Magic Spells Made Easy 2nd edition, revised
Dark Moon Gates - Pagan YA Fantasy
Nenfari - FREE Dark Sword & Sorcery
The Spider\'s Yule Gift - A Children\'s Folktale & Polish Pagan Holiday Traditions
My Website

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 12:21:42 am »
So, I'm curious as to how everyone came about their religion. What are some of the ways you guys discovered which religion clicked with you?

Did you discover it yourself? By which route? A book, article, a forum? A movie/documentary?

Please start by stating which specific religion (if indeed it is a specific religion) and then explain your journey to your new-found faith. I'm quite curious.:)
I found mine by reading history books about the Celts. After I had read about their practices and beliefs I was very interested in learning more, so I started Google searching Deities and just started from their. It was kid of a spiritual journey, and it was like opening Christmas presents every time I learned something new about it. I wasn't really fed up with my religion at the time (Catholicism) it just didn't fit me and felt like I wasn't getting anywhere. But it was definitely a journey, and the journey continues till this very day.
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

EmissaryOfMinong

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 01:26:51 am »

Not really a specific religion, more a combination of things.

I was introduced to the idea that I had Talent in a rather sudden and jarring way when I was in college (thinking I was reading others' thoughts. In reality I was just picking up their feelings more strongly than I had when I was younger and I didn't know how to process it). I started reading about psychic powers and other new age stuff. Then I started discussing Talent/magic with a friend, one fateful Spring Break. I was most definitely raised Pentecostal and all "that stuff" was supposedly evil.

Materialist

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: The Origin of Your Faith/Religious Beliefs
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 05:05:27 pm »

Genealogical research led to wondering what my ancestral religions were like in pre-christian times, and I found I rather liked it, except for all the pre-scientific superstitions, which have been replaced with modern knowledge and atheistic interpretations of Gathic philosophy.

Rayne

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 09:22:34 am »

I don't really have a religion of origin, but I was fascinated with all things Native American in High School. I realized I don't have a drop of NA blood, so I could never BE that, but it got my eyes and ears open. The fascination helped fuel my desire to find spirituality in nature, and led to my first BA is Forest/Wildlife conservation.

Through the years I have picked up bits of Druidry, and found a home of sorts with Celtic influences.

I am STILL fascinated by all things Native American, and try to read whatever reputable texts I can find out of sheer curiosity.

One good friend (1/4 Cherokee) took me to a family event on Cherokee land in North Carolina years ago, and I was able to be a visitor and observer for some traditional celebrations. That was amazing to me!
For All That I Am..For All That I See
For All I\'m A Part Of..For All That Sees Me

Leirion

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://lilylionlabyrinth.wordpress.com
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 01:29:48 am »

I was raised secular, but exposed to a lot of different religions growing up because I had friends who were all over the map. I tried to fit myself into pre-existing religions, but could not manage to do it.

When I was in college, I became fascinated with religion and general, and wound up getting my degree in Religious Studies. I hoped somehow through the research I could find a place I belonged.

It was not until after I graduated, that I finally threw in the towel. I had been having experiences of spirits, angels, and gods since I was a child. I finally stopped denying it, and begrudgingly looked more into paganism.

About two years ago, my experiences began to get more focused on the Minoan paradigm. After a whole bunch of general weirdness, my partner and I decided we were essentially doing a kind of revival of ancient Minoan religion.

So I guess, ultimately, the origin of my my belief system is it found me.

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 12:21:28 pm »

Mom was a priestess (Wiccan) and when I was little she and I would do witchy type stuff together. And then she became an Evangelical or something like that and it changed her for the worse. So I just continued on her path in secret and it's led me to the Wiccish/Eclectic Pagan path I'm on today. And it's been fulfilling and really made me happy.

Even if, according to Mom, I won't get raptured. :whis:
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Foxface

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 09:23:10 am »

I guess I would classify myself as a Pagan first and foremost and a follower of Isis. I was raised Catholic and left for many reasons which I will leave out. Irrelevant and I don't wish to slander.

During my time in the Air Force I was disillusioned and quite depressed. So one day I looked into Paganism and Wicca which I have sought before but was lost on how to approach it. I met a priestess who was spiritually gentle and lovely. She brought me to  several meetings and even let me be part of a few Sabbath circles.

So she told me the best way to search for my patron was to start reading. Books, online, talking to others. I went through many before being called quite strongly to Isis. The feminine power, the magic, the balance she showed me was unavoidable

and so here I am. I am no expert by any means but I am learning what I can about her

Foxface

Tags: