collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Transitional Patrons  (Read 2907 times)

AthenaiiseSofia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://finnblack.blogspot.com/
Transitional Patrons
« on: November 24, 2013, 08:39:09 pm »
I was just here reading up on peoples' matrons and patrons... and used to be, Hekate was my matron. But after this past year, which has been DREADFUL (Basic Training, Job Training, SHARP crap, all while my husband was in Afghanistan) I don't feel the connection anymore. I mean, I don't feel like she has abandoned me or cut me off, I just feel like she's just... stepped away. And it got me to thinking, maybe our matrons and patrons come and go as the need arises. Like we're growing up, and the deity lets you make your way.

So I guess my questions is, first, am I on the right track here? Has anyone had something similar happen? And if so, how did it go?

Thank you , and many blessings.
"Go then and make of the world something beautiful, set up a light in the darkness." - from Awakening Osiris by Normandi Ellis

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Transitional Patrons
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 12:42:55 am »
Quote from: Nuri;130554
I was just here reading up on peoples' matrons and patrons... and used to be, Hekate was my matron. But after this past year, which has been DREADFUL (Basic Training, Job Training, SHARP crap, all while my husband was in Afghanistan) I don't feel the connection anymore. I mean, I don't feel like she has abandoned me or cut me off, I just feel like she's just... stepped away. And it got me to thinking, maybe our matrons and patrons come and go as the need arises. Like we're growing up, and the deity lets you make your way.

So I guess my questions is, first, am I on the right track here? Has anyone had something similar happen? And if so, how did it go?

From dictionary.com:

matron

ma·tron
[mey-truhn] Show IPA
noun
a married woman, especially one who is mature and staid or dignified and has an established social position.
a woman who has charge of the domestic affairs of a hospital, prison, or other institution.
a woman serving as a guard, warden, or attendant for women or girls, as in a prison.

patroness (ˈpeɪtrənˌɛs)

— n
1.    a woman who sponsors or aids artists, charities, etc; protector or benefactor
2.    See patron saint

[see patron ]

patronal

— adj

'patronly

— adj

So, which did you mean?
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

AthenaiiseSofia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 01:55:06 pm »
Quote from: stephyjh;130570
From dictionary.com:

So, which did you mean?

oops, thanks for catching that. I guess I fell into my own little dialect there. I was referring to "patroness". I just use the matron/patron talk amongst my little circle. Thanks!
"Go then and make of the world something beautiful, set up a light in the darkness." - from Awakening Osiris by Normandi Ellis

Medulla

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 03:18:10 pm »

I have. Mostly in my teens and very early 20s as that was the period time when there were the biggest changes in my life. In my opinion it's not necessarily that patronesses and patrons come and go as we need, though sometimes they might change over our lives as we become closer or more distant to their spheres of influence. It's always gone well, maybe because most of those changes happened to me within the same pantheon.

If you're unsure, you could do some meditation or divination, whatever applies to you and your path. If it seems like it's the right thing to do you can move on but I think you can still worship Hekate even if she's no longer your patroness. It might also be polite or helpful to make her one offer as a thank you but again that depends on you and your path.

Samuel

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 08:09:26 pm »

I don't know if I totally buy the whole patron thing in general, at least for me. I feel like different deities serve different roles in my life and some come and some go.

That being said, though, I definitely have experienced this.

AthenaiiseSofia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 12:15:33 pm »
Quote from: Medulla;130641
I have. Mostly in my teens and very early 20s as that was the period time when there were the biggest changes in my life. In my opinion it's not necessarily that patronesses and patrons come and go as we need, though sometimes they might change over our lives as we become closer or more distant to their spheres of influence. It's always gone well, maybe because most of those changes happened to me within the same pantheon.

If you're unsure, you could do some meditation or divination, whatever applies to you and your path. If it seems like it's the right thing to do you can move on but I think you can still worship Hekate even if she's no longer your patroness. It might also be polite or helpful to make her one offer as a thank you but again that depends on you and your path.

Thank you! I am in my early 20s, so what you said about big changes makes sense. And I do use different pantheons, and the "spheres of influence" part is helpful, too. When I first recognized Hekate as my patroness, it was a time in my life where I was learning to be more independent and assertive, and she helped me with that. And now, I am at a point where I can do that on my own. Your response was very helpful, thank you again!

AthenaiiseSofia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 12:17:31 pm »
Quote from: Samuel;130674
I don't know if I totally buy the whole patron thing in general, at least for me. I feel like different deities serve different roles in my life and some come and some go.

That being said, though, I definitely have experienced this.

Thank you for your reply. After reading this, it got me thinking, perhaps we don't need a patron(ess) ALL THE TIME. I guess I didn't think of that, silly me! The "some come and some go" that's kinda how it feels with Hekate, and I'm glad there's someone else who has dealt with this. =) thank you again!

Lionrhod

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lionrhod.com
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 04:19:33 pm »

I've seen this happen many times and with many people.

It's especially prominent with children & teenagers that they "grow out of" a particular deity who was working with them.

IMO a patron/ess chooses you because they have a lesson to teach you. When you've learned the lesson(s) they have for you, they sometimes move on and someone else shows up.

Sometimes a deity who isn't your main patron will show up and take you in hand for a while as well. My main patroness is Arianrhod, but Freyja took me on for a year or so, sometime back.

And I can't see any reason that you can't still work with any/all of them who came to you, but if she's getting distant it may be time to ask if there's someone else who needs to teach you now.
When given a choice between black and white, choose purple.
SpellCraft Secrets: The Art of Creating Magic Spells Made Easy 2nd edition, revised
Dark Moon Gates - Pagan YA Fantasy
Nenfari - FREE Dark Sword & Sorcery
The Spider\'s Yule Gift - A Children\'s Folktale & Polish Pagan Holiday Traditions
My Website

Leirion

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://lilylionlabyrinth.wordpress.com
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 03:02:17 am »

Your track there seems logical to me.

I have not really had any deities leave entirely, but they do seem to come and go as the need arises.

For example, about three years ago when I first set out on a path towards healing, I had a lot of interactions with Hades. After about a year, I was told that I was no longer allowed to see him, because the kind of rest he provided was not what I needed anymore. It was too static and I was at a point in my life that I needed to learn to be a bit more proactive and make some serious changes.

About a week or so ago, I met with Hades for the first time since then, so at least for me things continue to come and go in circles.

Izzie414

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 05:31:50 pm »
[QUOTE

Thank you , and many blessings.[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean! I felt a real connection with Hecate until last month. Right around 11/16 while in meditation I felt like she was telling me that I would be "handed off" to another Goddess. I was stumped...and then a few weeks ago while in meditation my intention was to speak with Hecate, but Sekhmet was there. Ever since then, I seem to have a stronger connection to Sekhmet. So far, it's going well.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 03:07:05 am »
Quote from: Izzie414;131274

A Reminder:
Hi, Izzie414,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, and to leave all the quote code intact, even if you're just  replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

To be a bit more specific, when you were trimming the quoted content to only the part you were replying to, you also trimmed out the part of the quote code that provides a trackback to the post being replied to. Trimming the content is good and we appreciate it - but not if doing so means you break the quotecode (and thus the quoting rule).

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Sunflower, TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Hearth Keeper

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://witchfire02.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 01:01:17 pm »
Absolutely.  Artemis used to be mine, back when I was an avid hunter and fisher.  I could feel Her presence on every trip, when I made kills, skinned carcasses, and thanked the Spirits.  She was there.  But when I stopped (I still like hunting/fishing, just haven't done them in a looonnnggg time), She backed off.  I don't even feel Her anymore.  Which is funny, because Hephaestus and Anubis also backed off around the same time.  However, Hestia stepped up after a little while.  She was the second deity to come to me, after Sister Moon, but she had backed off when the other three showed up.  After they left, She stepped up again and has never left my side.  

I feel, like Spirit Animals, that They come and go, to teach and guide you.  Once the lesson is learned or they feel you're all right without them, they leave.  

However, concerning Hecate, I've heard that She's very stern.  You have to make time for Her, otherwise She won't stick around.  Maybe that's why She left?  Some Deities require the attention, the sacrifice.  Others don't.  Who knows?  I'm not Her, don't know what She may have been thinking.
~)O(~

Aett of Cups

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bookofspirals.com
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 10:17:54 pm »

I've had guides (including deities) move in and out of my life, and I've also gathered a close family of guides around me.  These spirits are part of my family, and I don't understand those who try to limit their relationship to one at a time (unless they're first learning and need to limit contact with a principle guide so as not to become overwhelmed).  I sometimes wonder if modern traditions advocating having a single matron or patron aren't somewhat influenced by the monotheism around us, but I don't really have enough data to know.

Quote from: stephyjh;130570
From dictionary.com:

matron

ma·tron
[mey-truhn] Show IPA
noun
a married woman, especially one who is mature and staid or dignified and has an established social position.
a woman who has charge of the domestic affairs of a hospital, prison, or other institution.
a woman serving as a guard, warden, or attendant for women or girls, as in a prison.

patroness (ˈpeɪtrənˌɛs)

— n
1.    a woman who sponsors or aids artists, charities, etc; protector or benefactor
2.    See patron saint

[see patron ]

patronal

— adj

'patronly

— adj

So, which did you mean?

I use matron and patron (although father, mother, uncle, and sister would suit me better for my group); I don't feel bound to use denotative definitions.  I don't always go prescriptivist, but - when I do - I use the OED.  It's the lexical smackdown! :)

Quote from: Lionrhod;131125
I've seen this happen many times and with many people.

It's especially prominent with children & teenagers that they "grow out of" a particular deity who was working with them.

IMO a patron/ess chooses you because they have a lesson to teach you. When you've learned the lesson(s) they have for you, they sometimes move on and someone else shows up.

Sometimes a deity who isn't your main patron will show up and take you in hand for a while as well. My main patroness is Arianrhod, but Freyja took me on for a year or so, sometime back.

And I can't see any reason that you can't still work with any/all of them who came to you, but if she's getting distant it may be time to ask if there's someone else who needs to teach you now.

I feel that my guides and I are engaged in a process of co-creation and I see our relationships as those between very different equals.  I don't think it's so much that the deities have something to show us (though that's often the case or the case in part) as that our energies call to each other.

Quote from: Dyslexic Witch;131909
Absolutely.  Artemis used to be mine, back when I was an avid hunter and fisher.  I could feel Her presence on every trip, when I made kills, skinned carcasses, and thanked the Spirits.  She was there.  But when I stopped (I still like hunting/fishing, just haven't done them in a looonnnggg time), She backed off.  I don't even feel Her anymore.  Which is funny, because Hephaestus and Anubis also backed off around the same time.  However, Hestia stepped up after a little while.  She was the second deity to come to me, after Sister Moon, but she had backed off when the other three showed up.  After they left, She stepped up again and has never left my side.  

I feel, like Spirit Animals, that They come and go, to teach and guide you.  Once the lesson is learned or they feel you're all right without them, they leave.  

However, concerning Hecate, I've heard that She's very stern.  You have to make time for Her, otherwise She won't stick around.  Maybe that's why She left?  Some Deities require the attention, the sacrifice.  Others don't.  Who knows?  I'm not Her, don't know what She may have been thinking.

I love the mutable nature of deity and our relationships with them.  Artemis is also one of the deities that hunt sabbers call upon most often.

Stern is close for Hecate, but I don't think it's really that either.  She just doesn't have patience for those who half-ass it; she expects a lot of hard work and has high standards.  And I feel we need shadowfriends, underworlders, keepers of the cauldron whether or not we always like to admit it.
Aett of Cups

Book of Spirals is my author site.
The Sentient Hillside is my blog.
Spiral Tree is an ezine for pagans I co-founded.

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 02:13:45 am »
Quote from: Aett of Cups;132174

I use matron and patron (although father, mother, uncle, and sister would suit me better for my group); I don't feel bound to use denotative definitions.  I don't always go prescriptivist, but - when I do - I use the OED.  It's the lexical smackdown! :)

Sweetie, bless your little heart, did you miss that I was using the dictionary to point out that the word has connotations that are inappropriate?
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
Transitional Patrons
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 01:02:10 pm »
Quote from: Aett of Cups;132174

Why would you not use the words that suit your relationship better? I have gods I refer to as mother and father and it's a very different relationship from the ones I might call patrons.

OP, I've definitely had my share of gods whom I worked with intensely while doing something specific and who then handed me off. I consider it akin to how I work with a teacher and am eventually expected to go off and do my own thing.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Tags: