collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: The Fae: Friend or Foe - Caution or Casual?  (Read 6520 times)

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
The Fae: Friend or Foe - Caution or Casual?
« on: November 11, 2013, 05:43:04 am »
Recently there's been some discussion regarding the attitude some have toward these beings (overly friendly and casual compared to some persons' experiences and extant lore).

So. I'm curious. What experiences have folks had with them?

Personally my attitude is to run away very far and very fast and hope for the best. I'm a big fan of giving a token offering but backing it with iron (btw anyone ever figure out the 'cold' iron / iron thing?).

Sorry if this is rambling. I have a sleepy. Feel free to ask for clarification :P

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
Re: The Fae: Friend or Foe - Caution or Casual?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 06:20:10 am »
Quote from: Asch;129018
Recently there's been some discussion regarding the attitude some have toward these beings (overly friendly and casual compared to some persons' experiences and extant lore).

Personally my attitude is to run away very far and very fast and hope for the best. I'm a big fan of giving a token offering but backing it with iron (btw anyone ever figure out the 'cold' iron / iron thing?).

Sorry if this is rambling. I have a sleepy. Feel free to ask for clarification :P

I'm a little loath to talk about this except with people I know well, for fear of being seen as fluffy. And because I don't want to be shouted at for being wrong. Nor do I wish to get the attention of the Good Folk too much...

I have a lot of superstition around the daoine sidhe. I started making offerings to them about three years ago. (My great-grandmother in Co. Cork occasionally left milk out for the 'wee folk', apparently. I don't remember this, but my mother says she does.) I've had a mix of positive and negative experiences with them, especially in Ireland, but here in Britain too. Hence the propitiatory offerings. In Ireland once, I did a ritual among some standing stones - I asked permission, but didn't listen well enough for the answer. I was very aware, afterwards, that they weren't happy about it. It was terrifying.

The problem was that, about two years after I started making offerings, more interaction started to happen. Then what I interpreted as 'requests' started to be made, and I built my rock garden for them. I'm still working out whether they want to 'work' with me to any extent. The ones near my house in Nottingham were incredibly pleased when I responded to them, but in a sort of scary way... But I know one or two people who have been able to work with Good Folk in areas that they know.

I still find them terrifying, especially ones in areas that I don't know well. In particular, I try very hard not to talk about them, as that tends to get their attention. (I do not use iron, as I think that's seen as offensive - I'd rather make offerings to encourage them not to bother me.) But I think that careful work can be done with them - on their terms, not ours. It's not something I'm rushing into.

I think people who naively do "fairy magic" have lost the plot, personally - but each to their own. If they really can jump into it with both feet, maybe they've met some that aren't so dangerous. I think they're a class of beings and that they're not all the same, so it's possible. But I wouldn't take that approach myself. I like not pissing off powerful Otherwordly creatures.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 06:38:50 am »

I think it totally depends on, well, everything?
(Helpful much, I know. :D: )

Since I've been working on the Foxwood Fairy Seership books it'll be kinda hard to avoid them. Also I came to see them as the spirit cousins of the human race.

But like all family, it doesn't necessarily mean they want or need to be bothered. I just can recommend a careful but honest approach to them for everyone to find out themselves.
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 07:34:09 am »

I live in Asia, so while the template I have for understanding this otherworld and its inhabitants has been immensely useful to me... I more often see nopperabo than clurichaun. I still count yokai (for example--should I say halimaw or duende? That just sounds weird,) as "fay" in that I believe they work by the same mechanics, but I recognize that the yokai are not culturally under the umbrella of elves, land wights, or fay. And they would probably prefer to interact with someone familiar with, I dunno, Shinto or something (which I'm really not.)

If I were in Iceland or Ireland, then I would be very careful with my psychic antenna, because I've heard the stories. But generally I would default to: the fae--if these are fae--are just other people who look a little funny if you can see them at all. They've got all sorts of different and mysterious motives or way to communicate. Stranger danger applies, but they're not all-powerful or all-evil (or all-good) just because they aren't physically embodied. They're all individuals, except when maybe they might not be.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 07:37:19 am by Faemon »
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Jabberwocky

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 08:14:14 am »

I have a small amount of UPG.  

Even the friend/foe dichotomy runs the risk of being too neat a categorisation I think.  We're in the realms of orange & blue morality here.

I've had some success working with the wee folk.  But only if it fits their agenda.  Which I tend not to ask too many questions about, but sometimes seems to be simply that they're amused by me.

Cautiously, I get on alright with them.  But I'm not sure that's entirely positive.  Because there are certain rather dubious personality traits I have-  treating the world as if it exists entirely as a stage for me to play out on, a streak of vicious cruelty (especially with people I don't like), a tendency to decide I dislike people on an arbitrary and a trivial basis, an unwillingness to be bored.  And my limited experience suggests that working with the wee folk is likely to lead to those traits being accentuated and encouraged.  Not necessarily a good thing, for obvious reasons.

So, in some ways, the fact I've got on relatively well with them so far worries me and leads to me being reluctant to follow it up much more deeply.
Your heart is a muscle as big as your fist.

SerpentineSorcerer

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://abracadabra-macabre.tumblr.com/
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 08:49:53 am »

I'mma second what you said, of giving credit and respect where respect and credit is due, but giving a wide berth and keeping some sot of ward or iron with me as a backup. That's how I've always been, which has led to some really odd accusations tossed my way from other pagans about how I'm not a "fairy friend". To that I give a judging look and often reply "Yes, that is true. It's hard to be friends with something who finds human morality to be a boring game and finds kidnapping and rape to be appropriate responses to imagined slights"

My most recent ex was one of those people. She always left them offerings, always treated them like her special magical friends. Yet when she'd miss an offering and all of a sudden a dead crow would literally fall at her feet she'd be like "I wonder what that means?" and I'm like ".....you do know that's the equivalent of a bullet in the mail with a message attached to it saying you're next if you don't pay up...right?".
"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal"

"Life is not separate from death. It only looks that way."

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 01:49:03 pm »

Let me put it this way:  I have no experiences with the Fair Folk and I intend to keep it that way.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 01:57:35 pm »

I am terrified by the Fae, for reasons I can't even put my finger on, Maybe something to do with having read Pratchetts Lords and Ladies at an impressionable age, but everything I've learnt about them since hasn't encouraged me to change the way I feel
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

southernfriedwiccan

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 02:34:54 pm »

I have had dealings with them but none that were initiated by me.  I tend to avoid them for my part. The problem with the whole good versus evil argument is that you are trying to humanize an entity that ain't human, our rules and morality don't work. I to keep iron  around and advise everyone to leave them  alone. I always fear that people come at them from the romanticized Victorian concept of the Fae. My advice is usually take a hard look at some of the older fairy tales then decide if you really want to get into a relationship with them.
Southernfriedwiccan
My blog -> hillbillywitchcraft.wordpress.com

Valentine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: get free; get others free; make new life in the aftermath
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 04:17:30 pm »
Quote from: Jabberwocky;129031
I have a small amount of UPG.  

Even the friend/foe dichotomy runs the risk of being too neat a categorisation I think.  We're in the realms of orange & blue morality here.

I've had some success working with the wee folk.  But only if it fits their agenda.  Which I tend not to ask too many questions about, but sometimes seems to be simply that they're amused by me.

Cautiously, I get on alright with them.  But I'm not sure that's entirely positive.  Because there are certain rather dubious personality traits I have-  treating the world as if it exists entirely as a stage for me to play out on, a streak of vicious cruelty (especially with people I don't like), a tendency to decide I dislike people on an arbitrary and a trivial basis, an unwillingness to be bored.  And my limited experience suggests that working with the wee folk is likely to lead to those traits being accentuated and encouraged.  Not necessarily a good thing, for obvious reasons.

So, in some ways, the fact I've got on relatively well with them so far worries me and leads to me being reluctant to follow it up much more deeply.

Right?  It's not that they're "friend" or "foe"--leave alone that there's great diversity among them, it's hard to make generalizations, and even just on a sort of tribal level, before you get to individuals, you'll find a lot of different sorts of relationships to humans.  It's that they seem to operate on a set of morals/rules that's generally alien to ours, they can do things we can't, and they have no reason or obligation to be accountable to us.  That makes them unpredictable, by our standards, and "unpredictable" plus "power" plus "no accountability" makes for a dangerous combination, even when you have a positive personal relationship with an individual or community among them.  (And, of course, some of them, or some groups of them, have a history of being more/less alien by our standards, or more/less friendly to human interests and wellbeing.)  Add to that that by the standards of many of the Folk, as far as I can tell, we don't really count as real or as real people, and it just means interacting with the Folk is risky business.  Sometimes it's rewarding, and sometimes it's very dangerous, and sometimes it's fish banana crumble dumpling igneous sandbox.

I wonder, sometimes, if the way we see the Folk isn't so different from the way we're seen by the kinds of spirits that are summoned up by ceremonial magicians.  To them, we must be an unpredictable group of beings with a set of morals different to their own, that can penetrate their world and have power over them, that ask them weird questions, that sometimes interact with them benevolently and sometimes force them to do things they must consider terrible, and that are rarely accountable to them.  Add to that the occasional story of one of them breaking free and having a victory over the humans, and it must make for an interesting legendarium.
"Let be be finale of seem." - Wallace Stevens, "The Emperor of Ice-Cream"
"There isn't a way things should be.  There's just what happens, and what we do."
- Terry Pratchett, "A Hat Full of Sky"

Liadine (dragonflyeyes)

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 07:20:04 pm »
Quote from: Naomi J;129021
I still find them terrifying, especially ones in areas that I don't know well. In particular, I try very hard not to talk about them, as that tends to get their attention. (I do not use iron, as I think that's seen as offensive - I'd rather make offerings to encourage them not to bother me.) But I think that careful work can be done with them - on their terms, not ours. It's not something I'm rushing into.

I think people who naively do "fairy magic" have lost the plot, personally - but each to their own. If they really can jump into it with both feet, maybe they've met some that aren't so dangerous. I think they're a class of beings and that they're not all the same, so it's possible. But I wouldn't take that approach myself. I like not pissing off powerful Otherwordly creatures.

This is my experience/opinion as well. I treat any local Gentry the same way I do my other non-human neighbours - courteously but warily. I leave offerings (though not often enough), try to keep out of their way and not metaphorically run around shouting at all hours, pick up my literal and metaphorical trash, and try to be as polite as I possibly can if I end up passing by. (Which I suppose is also how I deal with human neighbours, but I'm afraid I'm not as polite to them sometimes.)

I have/have had contact or ongoing sort-of relationships with individuals, but I don't go out looking to come in contact with them. It's more that if I'm supposed to go somewhere, or if I wander there, then sometimes somebody's already living there and occasionally that means something other than politely going on my way. I've never had a negative experience, but I very firmly believe that a) it's because I stick to my rules and b) I'm probably overdue and I shouldn't get comfortable.

Also agreeing with other posters who have mentioned the orange & blue morality.
We owe it to each other to tell stories [Neil Gaiman]
night's a good herd [my religious tumblr]

Breeze

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 11:10:53 pm »

I'd say that with me, they're neither friend nor foe.  I have the sense to be courteous enough to offer them something and be on my way if I happen to stumble upon an area where they're active.  That said, I don't go seeking them out either; as a matter of fact, I'd probably be more likely to avoid them simply because they are unpredictable.  

I do remember my first large public ritual that I attended about eleven years ago.  It was in one of our state parks, Land Between the Lakes, and was led by a local coven.  It was the day of the summer solstice and had been a gorgeous day.  As the sun set, everyone circled around a huge fire and the ritual began.  The coven leaders started invoking what seemed to be anybody and everybody: the Morrigan, Cernunnos, Hecate, Dionysus, Brighid, Lugh, their deceased Aunt Patricia from their mother's side, several animal spirits, and the Fae.  So, to say there was an uncomfortable mix of spirits and deities in the ritual space is an understatement.  I did notice that there was lightning in the distance when all of this started, and by the time we got to their fairy friends it had started raining...hard.  I decided that an open field in the middle of a thunderstorm wasn't the place to be and packed up and went home.  There was a rather large tornado in LBL that night.  I've seen people mix deities in ritual before and it was never that bad.  In my mind, that mix plus the fae energy made things extremely unstable.

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 01:02:20 am »
Thanks for everyone's thoughts! I should clarify that I've never used iron on the Fae etc. what I meant by that is my attitude is propitiation then big guns. To the best of my knowledge I've never interacted with them. They frighten me on a fundamental level mostly because of the orange/blue morality (I love that descriptor) and the fact that I can not understand them. Therefore the odds of safely encountering them and escaping in one piece with my self and future intact are...yeah.

To be fair I don't even know if there are any in my area but it seems many cultures have analogues to the Fae and yeah.

I would never deliberately seek them out all things being equal but I am curious as to how those that do seek them out do so successfully and how/why the pop culture ideal of the Fae as adorable garden pixies of luff has become so pervasive.

Quote from: Breeze;129120
I do remember my first large public ritual that I attended about eleven years ago.  It was in one of our state parks, Land Between the Lakes, and was led by a local coven.  It was the day of the summer solstice and had been a gorgeous day.  As the sun set, everyone circled around a huge fire and the ritual began.  The coven leaders started invoking what seemed to be anybody and everybody: the Morrigan, Cernunnos, Hecate, Dionysus, Brighid, Lugh, their deceased Aunt Patricia from their mother's side, several animal spirits, and the Fae.  So, to say there was an uncomfortable mix of spirits and deities in the ritual space is an understatement.  I did notice that there was lightning in the distance when all of this started, and by the time we got to their fairy friends it had started raining...hard.  I decided that an open field in the middle of a thunderstorm wasn't the place to be and packed up and went home.  There was a rather large tornado in LBL that night.  I've seen people mix deities in ritual before and it was never that bad.  In my mind, that mix plus the fae energy made things extremely unstable.

Mixed rituals seem like a horrifically bad idea. I would've left as well. One thing I appreciate about my proto-grove is that we pre-determine the hearth for a specific high day ahead of time so participants can prepare.

Still, it's a really really weird choice to have so many pantheons and oh hey let's add the Fae too! :hdsk:

Thanks again for sharing folks!

southernfriedwiccan

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 06:12:29 am »

I wonder, sometimes, if the way we see the Folk isn't so different from the way we're seen by the kinds of spirits that are summoned up by ceremonial magicians.  To them, we must be an unpredictable group of beings with a set of morals different to their own, that can penetrate their world and have power over them, that ask them weird questions, that sometimes interact with them benevolently and sometimes force them to do things they must consider terrible, and that are rarely accountable to them.  Add to that the occasional story of one of them breaking free and having a victory over the humans, and it must make for an interesting legendarium.

I think is a reasonable assumption that if we cannot understand them then they cannot understand us. I think that would be true for any entity that is a alien to us. Power is a very funny thing. Someone might have power and control over something or someone some of the time but that can change very quickly and it is never truly perminent.
Southernfriedwiccan
My blog -> hillbillywitchcraft.wordpress.com

Aiwelin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 10:27:47 am »

One thing I'm a bit confused on (and perhaps this deserves its own thread) is what exactly the Fae means to the people talking about them here.  I've heard the term 'Fairy' used to refer to general land spirits, to house or garden spirits specifically, or to a specific class of Celtic otherworldly being.

I don't think I've had much experience with that specific Celtic class of beings.  I don't purposely seek them out, mostly because I have lots of other things to do.  I do offer to my local land spirits and house spirits, including my specific garden spirit, and I've heard several people refer to them as my fairies.  Generally, those spirits seem happy to be remembered and offered to.  We've had no major incidents with the house or the land we're on, and often I feel as if there's something looking out for me at home.  The summer I was hugely pregnant and still had to mow the lawn (my husband is strongly allergic to grass), it seemed as if the grass grew a tad slower than it does most years - just little things like that.
Devotee of Nerthus
Worshipper of Germanic Deities
Now blogging on Patheos Pagan!  Check out Heathen at Heart

In the Nebraska-Iowa area?  Come check out Prairie Shadow Protogrove, ADF!
Ár nDraíocht Féin
The Troth

Tags: