collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Dedicating Yourself to a Deity  (Read 3269 times)

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Dedicating Yourself to a Deity
« on: October 31, 2013, 01:52:23 pm »
Hi all!

Recently, I've been feeling an urge to dedicate myself to Brighid. Some of you will know that I've been worshiping Brighid for a couple of years now but now it seems to be time for a greater commitment.

The thing is, I've never dedicated myself to a deity before. I'm not entirely sure what it entails (I appreciate that this may be different for different people). I'm not sure if this urge is coming from Brighid and its what She wants or if its coming from me. And I have no idea how to go about it.

So basically, I'm hoping that some of you will be comfortable sharing about your own experiences. If you are dedicated to a particular deity then how did you decide that was the right thing to do? What does your dedication entail? How did you formalise it?

I'd also be happy to hear any advice if you have it.

Thanks,
Rocquelaire

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Dedicating Yourself to a Deity
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 02:06:11 pm »
Quote from: rocquelaire;127748
Recently, I've been feeling an urge to dedicate myself to Brighid. Some of you will know that I've been worshiping Brighid for a couple of years now but now it seems to be time for a greater commitment.

My experience isn't exactly one to go off of. :ashamed: I was fifteen, and after reading book after book with formulaic Wiccish self-initiation/dedication rites, I decided to tweak them into a deity-devotion ritual. I spent several weeks working on the prayer- which in my infinite wisdom did not include any kind of end date for the dedication if it didn't work out- and read it out on my sixteenth birthday surrounded by a bonfire's worth of votives (on which I almost set my hair and dress alight more than once.) Luckily I dedicated to Brighid and Lugh, and everything has turned out fine.

If I were to do it again now- well, I'd definitely include a trial period. Divination, perhaps, to see how my actions/devotions/etc as a dedicant should be different than they were before.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

outlaw393

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 08:55:27 pm »
So basically, I'm hoping that some of you will be comfortable sharing about your own experiences. If you are dedicated to a particular deity then how did you decide that was the right thing to do? What does your dedication entail? How did you formalize it?

I wrote my own rituals, and I got tattoos for both of my patrons. I turned the actual act of getting the tattoo into the dedication. It wasn't really "formal" as it was mostly improv and done the night before the tattooing. :)
Conformity is the death of individualism

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 09:54:38 pm »
Quote from: outlaw393;127796
I wrote my own rituals, and I got tattoos for both of my patrons.

Wait, sorry, which patrons were those? I'm having trouble keeping track.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 10:25:14 pm »
So basically, I'm hoping that some of you will be comfortable sharing about your own experiences. If you are dedicated to a particular deity then how did you decide that was the right thing to do?

I...um. I'm not sure how I knew? Brighid was like "HEY IT'S TIME TO DEDICATE TO ME" and so I did. I didn't have any doubts.

With Manannan, it was a very gradual thing where I eventually realized what He wanted of me (even though He'd been glaringly obvious from the beginning of our relationship; I'm mortal, I can be really dense). Once I realized what He was asking -- for me to accept His adoption offer, to accept Him as my Father -- I was fine with going ahead with it, though I did have doubts. Mainly doubts in myself as His child -- I have long-standing, huge issues with my biological sire, and a lot of baggage over being a "good child" to my parents.

But He reassured me that He wanted me, as I was, for His daughter and His son. (I'm genderqueer.)

With the Morrigan there wasn't really a formal dedication. Ze just said "You're mine" before I channeled Hir in ritual, and I realized "holy hell I am."

I've done short-form dedications to other deities -- year and a day sort of deals. Those were a bit more informal? No ritual; I met with the deity in question at a festival where priest/esses were drawn down, and told Them I'd like to be Their dedicant for a year.

What does your dedication entail? How did you formalise it?

Brighid and Manannan both got rituals. I posted a bit on my blog before my ritual to Manannan, which was a year ago. Brighid got Her ritual Imbolc 2011. I posted about it here and here, and the ritual script is located here.

I also have tattoos in the works for Them both. Manannan's will be taking up my entire left arm, with the words "God is in the Rain" worked into the design somehow. Brighid has reserved my entire back as Her space. I currently don't know what Her tattoo will be like at all.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

outlaw393

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 10:47:13 pm »
Quote from: Morag;127812
Wait, sorry, which patrons were those? I'm having trouble keeping track.

Pretty easy. Read the text under my avatar.

And "keeping track"? They've been the same for years. But I guess this place wouldn't know that.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 10:49:05 pm by outlaw393 »

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 10:54:34 pm »
Quote from: outlaw393;127831

And "keeping track"? They've been the same for years. But I guess this place wouldn't know that.

Considering the fact you change religions the way I change tumblr themes... yeah, it's a wee bit hard to keep up with your spiritual alignment du jour.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 12:15:47 am »
Quote from: outlaw393;127831

So...Allah is the same as Loki and/or Odin?

Interesting.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
-Darkhawk

outlaw393

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 12:26:30 am »
Quote from: Morag;127850
So...Allah is the same as Loki and/or Odin?

Interesting.

Allah was never a patron.

Do some research on patron gods. It's apparent you don't understand the concept.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 12:26:58 am by outlaw393 »

outlaw393

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 12:27:42 am »
Quote from: Sage;127833
Considering the fact you change religions the way I change tumblr themes... yeah, it's a wee bit hard to keep up with your spiritual alignment du jour.

Someone has to keep things interesting.

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 12:29:44 am »
Quote from: outlaw393;127851
Allah was never a patron.

Do some research on patron gods. It's apparent you don't understand the concept.

You can't have any other gods in your life and call yourself a Muslim, bro.

I mean I guess you can but it really just makes it look like you're trying on religions like hats and discarding them when you're bored/not happy with the gods not giving you everything you want/it's Tuesday.

And it's supremely disrespectful to routinely dedicate yourself to gods or religions and then flounce on them not long after.

But whatever. I'm sure you've done your research. ;)
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 02:15:03 am »
Quote from: outlaw393;127852
Someone has to keep things interesting.

*tapdances through the thread dressed as Columbia from Rocky Horror, throwing glitter everywhere*

... You were referring to me, right?

Anyway, I've never done a formal dedication to Mara, though I've thought about it. I've just sort of gradually become more and more hers, and doing something formal feels... well, it's like getting married after being together ten years.

Which, admittedly, I've also done. So maybe I should be thinking about it more.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 02:27:38 am »
Quote from: Jack;127866
*tapdances through the thread dressed as Columbia from Rocky Horror, throwing glitter everywhere*

Anyway, I've never done a formal dedication to Mara, though I've thought about it. I've just sort of gradually become more and more hers, and doing something formal feels... well, it's like getting married after being together ten years.

You make an adorable Columbia. Just sayin'.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 07:24:15 am »
Quote from: Jack;127866

Yay shiny! Can I have some glitter please?

Thank you all for your responses. Reading your answers has helped me to get a better idea (kind of) of what I need to do.

Morag, your ritual was lovely and I'm getting the feeling that I am to make a piece of jewellery which I am to wear all the time as a symbol of my dedication to Her. Or at least, until I get the tattoo for Her that I've been considering for the last year or so. I get the impression that the ritual itself is for my benefit more than Hers so it can take whatever form I like as long as I make the dedication that She's looking for.

I did a tarot reading to try and understand what She's asking for and how things will change. The predominant theme of the reading was of giving up my need for control and putting my trust in Her. After the main reading I pulled a single card, asking Her to clarify how She wishes me to serve Her and it was rebirth. To start a new phase of my life and move forward with Her.

I think that before I can do this, I need to understand how things will change practically from how I practice now. Any suggestions for how to do that? Meditation is probably out for the moment - any time I close my eyes for two minutes I fall asleep. The effects of having a newborn!

Thanks again for the help, everyone

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 09:52:27 am »
Quote from: rocquelaire;127889
Yay shiny! Can I have some glitter please?

Yes! Glitter for everyone!!!

I did a tarot reading to try and understand what She's asking for and how things will change. The predominant theme of the reading was of giving up my need for control and putting my trust in Her.

Yes, this sounds familiar.

After the main reading I pulled a single card, asking Her to clarify how She wishes me to serve Her and it was rebirth. To start a new phase of my life and move forward with Her.

I wonder if she chose now specifically because you're already dealing with change in the form of your new child?

I think that before I can do this, I need to understand how things will change practically from how I practice now. Any suggestions for how to do that?

Didn't you just get done saying you need to give up control and trust her? ;)

For me, giving things over to Mara is incredibly hard, both psychologically and personally. But I've (mostly) learned to stop worrying about how she'll care for me and how she'll use me and just know that I'll understand it when it happens.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Tags: