collapse

Author Topic: Pushy Gods/Goddesses?  (Read 2595 times)

baduhmtisss

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Undefined
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Pushy Gods/Goddesses?
« on: October 21, 2013, 07:42:14 pm »
I hope this is the right place for this, if not, I am so sorry and please move this.

But I wanted to ask a question in general about gods/goddesses... Have you ever had a god/goddess try to push you into some form of dedication to them? If so, is it normal, or something that should raise red flags? Do they tend to cause some chaos in your life if you ignore them?

Thank's for y'all's time.
Undefined religion | Parrot Mom | Disaster Reservist

Liadine (dragonflyeyes)

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Pushy Gods/Goddesses?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 08:38:45 pm »
Quote from: RainbowSnake;126342
I hope this is the right place for this, if not, I am so sorry and please move this.

But I wanted to ask a question in general about gods/goddesses... Have you ever had a god/goddess try to push you into some form of dedication to them? If so, is it normal, or something that should raise red flags? Do they tend to cause some chaos in your life if you ignore them?

Depends on the deity, depends on what you mean by "push", and depends on what you mean by red flags. Super helpful, I know.

Some gods - particularly trickster deities, in my experience - are very willing to actively mess with with your life if you interest them and they want your attention. They're gods, after all, and if their personality is inclined towards not giving a damn then they're hardly going to hold back just because meddling isn't polite. Others might be insistent about getting your attention/worship/dedication/whatever, and they might give you a Big Blinding Light Of Realization which makes it difficult to say no, but there's unlikely to be much chaos and you still have the possibility of refusing. I'm sure there are other forms of pushing, those are just the two I've experienced personally.

As for warning signs, I haven't experienced any red flags that weren't already there in the lore. It might be a warning sign in the "wow, I didn't think it would be like *this*" or "I thought I could take it but I can't" way, but it's more about whether you're willing to deal with this god on their own terms. If you're uncomfortable with the demands, uncomfortable in a non-negotiable way, then yeah - this is probably a red flag that you're not going to be a good fit. How you go about refusing (and whether that will do anything) depends again on the gods involved, and complete refusal might not be totally possible. I've been yelling at this one trickster to get off my lawn for a good chunk of my life, and although we've fallen into a truce of sorts I don't think he'll ever quite leave me alone.

Basically: yeah, pushy demands are a thing with some gods. Whether that's a bad thing depends on how you feel.
We owe it to each other to tell stories [Neil Gaiman]
night's a good herd [my religious tumblr]

Varian

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 08:57:22 pm »

It depends on the God/dess in question, what you mean by being pushed, and what level of dedication they're asking for.

baduhmtisss

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 09:09:07 pm »
Quote from: Briar Rose;126356
It depends on the God/dess in question, what you mean by being pushed, and what level of dedication they're asking for.

I guess what I mean by being pushed, is being given the constant vibe that they want me to be their devotee, and they want it now. I have sort of been putting them off with the idea because I've been trying to think about the decision clearly, but I feel like they want it like right now. And the pressure won't let up until I give.

One of them is a Goddess and one a God. Ptah and The Morrigan. I've had Sekhmet come and say hello to me as well (I've posted on her before), but she left just as fast.

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 09:14:27 pm »
Quote from: RainbowSnake;126358
I guess what I mean by being pushed, is being given the constant vibe that they want me to be their devotee, and they want it now. I have sort of been putting them off with the idea because I've been trying to think about the decision clearly, but I feel like they want it like right now. And the pressure won't let up until I give.

I don't think it's unreasonable for you to ask for a certain amount of time to think it over. Say to them, "I need to think about it and I will have the answer for you in X (one month or whatever you need). I'd appreciate it you give me this time to ponder peacefully."

Liadine (dragonflyeyes)

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 09:19:30 pm »
Quote from: RainbowSnake;126358

One possible compromise (which may or may not work for you, depending on what they want from you/what you need) is to dedicate yourself for a set length of the time - a month, a couple of months, whatever seems appropriate. It might give you some breathing room to see what they require of you, and it might paradoxically lighten some of the pressure they're putting on you.

Of course, that assumes that you're willing to give them that. It's also possible to say no to a deity, or to bargain with them; they might not listen, but explaining why you want breathing room/asking what they'd require of you/otherwise feeling out the situation some more might also give you some space to move.
We owe it to each other to tell stories [Neil Gaiman]
night's a good herd [my religious tumblr]

baduhmtisss

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 09:27:40 pm »
Quote from: Liadine (dragonflyeyes);126360
One possible compromise (which may or may not work for you, depending on what they want from you/what you need) is to dedicate yourself for a set length of the time - a month, a couple of months, whatever seems appropriate. It might give you some breathing room to see what they require of you, and it might paradoxically lighten some of the pressure they're putting on you.

Of course, that assumes that you're willing to give them that. It's also possible to say no to a deity, or to bargain with them; they might not listen, but explaining why you want breathing room/asking what they'd require of you/otherwise feeling out the situation some more might also give you some space to move.

Ok. I like this suggestion, because asking them to back off a bit only get's me a "No. I want you." Vibe. Maybe I can get them to compromise.

I really just didn't know if I should worry at this sort of pushy-ness.

Varian

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 10:00:17 pm »
Quote from: RainbowSnake;126361
Ok. I like this suggestion, because asking them to back off a bit only get's me a "No. I want you." Vibe. Maybe I can get them to compromise.

I really just didn't know if I should worry at this sort of pushy-ness.

I'd sit down with them and say that you want breathing room.  Don't just say "no," or "I'm not ready," explain why.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 01:51:44 am »
Quote from: Briar Rose;126363
I'd sit down with them and say that you want breathing room.  Don't just say "no," or "I'm not ready," explain why.

I'll strongly second what both Liadine and Briar Rose have said.

With the Morrigan in particular (I've never had any interactions with Ptah, so I've no opinion either way on him), it's likely to be less about not letting you say no, and a lot more about either (or both) a) not waffling about and avoiding, but making a definite decision, or b) standing up for your own boundaries and negotiating your own needs instead of just letting yourself be pushed. If either of those is something you have difficulty with in your life in general, that could even be a big part of why she's paying attention to you.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Valentine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: get free; get others free; make new life in the aftermath
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 02:07:52 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;126388
I'll strongly second what both Liadine and Briar Rose have said.

With the Morrigan in particular (I've never had any interactions with Ptah, so I've no opinion either way on him), it's likely to be less about not letting you say no, and a lot more about either (or both) a) not waffling about and avoiding, but making a definite decision, or b) standing up for your own boundaries and negotiating your own needs instead of just letting yourself be pushed. If either of those is something you have difficulty with in your life in general, that could even be a big part of why she's paying attention to you.

Sunflower

Yeah, the Morrigan has a rep for coming on strong when She taps someone, but also for respecting strength--including the strength to stand up and respectfully say, "These are my boundaries, and this is what I want."
"Let be be finale of seem." - Wallace Stevens, "The Emperor of Ice-Cream"
"There isn't a way things should be.  There's just what happens, and what we do."
- Terry Pratchett, "A Hat Full of Sky"

Medulla

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 03:20:41 am »

I'm going to second the things others have said. How do you communicate with them? As in, what have you told these deities so far? Have you given them a half-hearted maybe and said you'd think about it? And have you really thought about it? You should probably think it through and decide what you want to do and why. If you want to worship them and feel like you're just stalling then just go for it. If not or if you're not sure yet, tell them this and explain your reasons.

Think of this as having a friend who invites you to meet up for coffee this weekend. Some friends would be ok if you just texted them on the day and told them you were meeting them in 5 minutes in your usual hangout. Other friends would be ok with a maybe and with knowing your answer the day before. Then there's that one friend who needs an answer and needs it now. It's not that this friend is pushy, but they're just very busy and need to plan things ahead because they're on a tight schedule. You have three options:

a) You tell them yes and meet up with them. Maybe you're not sure if you can spend the entire day talking but they may be ok if you just leave when you have to go or if you let them know in advance you're staying only for 1 or 2 hours.

b) You say no and explain why, that you're busy that weekend and have made plans to meet someone already or have a doctor's appointment or whatever.

c) You say maybe and explain why, again, you tell them you have a doctor's appointment so you need to check when you'll be free or that you'd only five minutes to hang out and wouldn't feel good about not being able to truly enjoy their company and giving them the attention they deserve. Perhaps you reach a compromise that works for both or perhaps you don't.

This is the same thing here. You can say yes and do it, maybe if you're not sure if you can do it on a forever or indefinite basis you can promise to do it for a set amount of time as someone suggested, but only if you really mean to do so. If you don't think this is right for you or that you need more time, say just that and state why you're giving them this answer. Maybe you just don't have the time to honour them properly or can't take on this commitment in the way they would deserve your attention.

It's probably fine if you say no, especially if you're prepared to tell them why. If you can acknowledge that you're genuinely not capable of worshipping them on their terms then I think they'll know it's better for everyone if they don't push you into a situation where you're doing the bare minimum just to keep them at arm's length.

I don't think they'll actually mess up your life if you have a basis for refusing and aren't just hesitating and overthinking and needing a nudge in that direction. I've had situations where lots of little things went wrong through a whole day and I had that strong feeling of having to do something immediately but this was all with deities I was already working with, because I'd promised them something and was slacking off. However I don't think a deity would do that if you had a genuine reason for not being able to do things for them, much less a deity you've made no commitments or promises to. If that were the case then someone who sticks to a specific pantheon would end up having to work with their deities and a multitude of other ones who showed up and have a breakdown from exhaustion.

In my opinion, deities may look for people who are potential followers and notify them that they exist but if someone doesn't want to I think most would just move on to the other millions of potential followers than get a half-hearted one who isn't even very committed beyond not wanting to be killed.

This is just what I think, though.

Gilbride

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 06:43:59 am »
Have you ever had a god/goddess try to push you into some form of dedication to them?

This kind of thing is the norm in some polytheistic religions, including Haitian Vodou and rural Bengali Shaktism. In these religions, the deity can be a lot more than just "pushy"- it can pretty much ruin the person's life until that person agrees to become a devotee. Typically this does not apply to ordinary, everyday worship but to people the deity intends to work much more closely with- priests, ecstatics, healers and so forth.

baduhmtisss

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 12:50:01 pm »
Quote from: Medulla;126397
I'm going to second the things others have said. How do you communicate with them? As in, what have you told these deities so far? Have you given them a half-hearted maybe and said you'd think about it? And have you really thought about it? You should probably think it through and decide what you want to do and why. If you want to worship them and feel like you're just stalling then just go for it. If not or if you're not sure yet, tell them this and explain your reasons.

I have told them that I want to consider dedicating to them (only after they asked me to do it), and actually take time to learn about them and be 100% sure that it's what I want and what I can handle. I don't want to stall myself, but I seem to be hesitating. I was firm with them though, when I told them this. Ptah gave me a few weeks of learning, mostly through UPG. The Morrigan gave me a week, with a few dreams of what she likes (and more UPG lol). I do like these deities, a lot. I just don't want to turn out to be a disappointment to them later, or find out that this isn't what I really thought I wanted.

A lot of what holds me back, is I am young. I don't want to make a rash 'teenage decision', and regret it.

But I have found that the advice y'all have given me has helped me feel a lot better about the whole situation. I asked them politely to give me more time to think and consider, and I plan on finding out more of their expectations of me. They haven't been very forthcoming with that, which is why I worried a bit.

Much appreciated, y'all.

baduhmtisss

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 12:51:37 pm »
Quote from: Gilbride;126407
This kind of thing is the norm in some polytheistic religions, including Haitian Vodou and rural Bengali Shaktism. In these religions, the deity can be a lot more than just "pushy"- it can pretty much ruin the person's life until that person agrees to become a devotee. Typically this does not apply to ordinary, everyday worship but to people the deity intends to work much more closely with- priests, ecstatics, healers and so forth.

I am so glad this isn't happening to me, but I don't even really have a set polytheistic religion yet. I'm exploring, and had these deities come to me.

PhantomQueen

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 01:31:15 pm »
Quote from: RainbowSnake;126434
I have told them that I want to consider dedicating to them (only after they asked me to do it), and actually take time to learn about them and be 100% sure that it's what I want and what I can handle. I don't want to stall myself, but I seem to be hesitating. I was firm with them though, when I told them this. Ptah gave me a few weeks of learning, mostly through UPG. The Morrigan gave me a week, with a few dreams of what she likes (and more UPG lol). I do like these deities, a lot. I just don't want to turn out to be a disappointment to them later, or find out that this isn't what I really thought I wanted.

A lot of what holds me back, is I am young. I don't want to make a rash 'teenage decision', and regret it.

I've found with my dealings with Morrigan is that the more upfront I am about my boundaries/issues, the more it's appreciated by Her.  At this point in time, if you are willing to dedicate time to learning about and from Her, it may be enough til you're more definite in wanting to further your relationship.  My main (and first) lesson from the Morrigan was to Know Myself (be self aware).  Looks like you're starting to learn this same lesson :) HOping your path with Her will bring many blessings!

Tags: