Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: Samhain - How do you celebrate/Ideas ?  (Read 4951 times)

GuidedRaven

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://nor-se.tumblr.com
Samhain - How do you celebrate/Ideas ?
« on: October 18, 2013, 12:43:19 pm »
Hello all,

Samhain is approaching and I have a few questions I'd like to throw out there. So here's the first one:  
  • How do you celebrate Samhain? (i.e. Ritual, Pumpkin Carving, Offerings, etc)
  • I know there are a bunch of ways for the pronunciation of Samhain, how do you pronounce it?
  • Ideas for celebrating Samhain when you're in a completely Christian household?
I'll elaborate on my last question. I recently moved back in with my parents due to financial issues. They each are aware of my religion but neither agree and like to brush it under the table as we all attempt to avoid religious conversation. To me, since I'm finally of age and a legal adult, I've really enjoyed my freedom to do as I please within my religion, but as you can probably tell, moving back home poses a large amount of restrictions of what I can and cannot do.

Along side this, I don't actually have an altar yet. Which often bothers me at times, but both my parents would "freak out". I do have my incense, tarot cards, and some votive candles all along my top shelf of my book shelf that I consider sacred, but that is as close as I get to an altar.

(also low on cash) It's going to be a bit harder to just go out and buy things for Samhain, anything large at least. My best friend's ashes are also on the mentioned shelf, and I want to do some type of offering or honoring, just not sure what or how.

I'd love to hear your feedback.

Thanks!
--Guided Raven

"Under your wing I feel complete safety,
Atop your talon I feel free,
Against your feathers my body is awakened,
At your beak I intake breath.

In the air I can be,
Holding fast to your scaly feet,
Large and powerful being,
Taking me higher and higher; So I can\'t breathe."

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 10:08:44 pm »
Quote from: GuidedRaven;125909

• I know there are a bunch of ways for the pronunciation of Samhain, how do you pronounce it?
  • Ideas for celebrating Samhain when you're in a completely Christian household?

Last year I worked a local haunted trail, so scaring the pants off people was last year's celebration. This year the trail was cancelled, so on the 31st we're taking over the sidewalk in front of a local bar to do a flash mob Thriller / Time Warp dance.

I pronounce it sow (like ow I hurt myself) -win, emphasis on the first syllable.

For your friend's ashes (my condolences), light a candle (usually black) and some incense in his/her/zir memory and meditate on the wonderful times you had together.

For living in a Christian household, try to be as neutral as possible. Again, candles and incense are great.  If there are kids in the house (and even if there aren't), movies like Hocus Pocus, Corpse Bride, and Nightmare Before Christmas are a great way to bring the family together.

And I'll add things as I remember them.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
Re: Samhain - How do you celebrate/Ideas ?
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 12:26:19 am »

There's a rustic little apple town not far from me, right at the snow line, that I like to visit in the morning if I have the day free.  Crisp fresh air, plenty of turning leaves, and fresh pressed cider.
Then, trick r treating with the pups.  After, colcannon & cider with the family.  Hard stuff when everyone goes to sleep.
My observances don't begin until everyone is in bed.  Usually very quiet & contemplative stuff.  

Pronunciation: SAH-win.  But "Hallows" is my preferred term.

As for celebrating in a Christian household, my family IS Christian, so I just stay up later than the rest of 'em.  :)  But I also light candles & incense-- the occultist's way to 'hide in plain sight' I suppose-- right around sundown, to help me stay in a certain frame of mind.  Plus I'm the one who decorates the house & I do whatever cooking is going to happen; you could say that both are observances of mine, after a fashion.  

A story from a couple of years ago.  I had lit incense sticks & placed them at various places in the yard-- but well out of the way of little trick-r-treating feet of course.  It's almost 10, the kids all pretty much done, everyone inside is fed & happy, and I'm out in the yard, piddling about, in my mindset and just doing my meditative thing.  Then comes that feeling I'm being watched, so I look up: there in the middle of the road are 4 cats, sitting in a straight line, all watching me.  They were there, unmoving, for several minutes.  It was a neat little moment.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 12:26:59 am by MadZealot »
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 01:31:43 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;125995
There's a rustic little apple town not far from me, right at the snow line, that I like to visit in the morning if I have the day free.  Crisp fresh air, plenty of turning leaves, and fresh pressed cider.
Then, trick r treating with the pups.  After, colcannon & cider with the family.  Hard stuff when everyone goes to sleep.
My observances don't begin until everyone is in bed.  Usually very quiet & contemplative stuff.  

Pronunciation: SAH-win.  But "Hallows" is my preferred term.

As for celebrating in a Christian household, my family IS Christian, so I just stay up later than the rest of 'em.  :)  But I also light candles & incense-- the occultist's way to 'hide in plain sight' I suppose-- right around sundown, to help me stay in a certain frame of mind.  Plus I'm the one who decorates the house & I do whatever cooking is going to happen; you could say that both are observances of mine, after a fashion.  

A story from a couple of years ago.  I had lit incense sticks & placed them at various places in the yard-- but well out of the way of little trick-r-treating feet of course.  It's almost 10, the kids all pretty much done, everyone inside is fed & happy, and I'm out in the yard, piddling about, in my mindset and just doing my meditative thing.  Then comes that feeling I'm being watched, so I look up: there in the middle of the road are 4 cats, sitting in a straight line, all watching me.  They were there, unmoving, for several minutes.  It was a neat little moment.
Well I love to carve pumpkins, take my daughter trick or treating. I also leave food out for the dead, and my ancestors. I like to light a candle or fire and say some prayers.
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

PhantomQueen

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 11:40:15 am »
Hello all,

Samhain is approaching and I have a few questions I'd like to throw out there. So here's the first one:  
I'll elaborate on my last question. I recently moved back in with my parents due to financial issues. They each are aware of my religion but neither agree and like to brush it under the table as we all attempt to avoid religious conversation. To me, since I'm finally of age and a legal adult, I've really enjoyed my freedom to do as I please within my religion, but as you can probably tell, moving back home poses a large amount of restrictions of what I can and cannot do.

Along side this, I don't actually have an altar yet. Which often bothers me at times, but both my parents would "freak out". I do have my incense, tarot cards, and some votive candles all along my top shelf of my book shelf that I consider sacred, but that is as close as I get to an altar.

(also low on cash) It's going to be a bit harder to just go out and buy things for Samhain, anything large at least. My best friend's ashes are also on the mentioned shelf, and I want to do some type of offering or honoring, just not sure what or how.

I'd love to hear your feedback.

Thanks!

For me it's more of honouring the Ancestors (tarot readings, ensuring that the shrine for them is well dusted/maintained etc).  I bake Soul Cakes and leave some out for them.  I have a battery operated candle I put on and place at my west-facing window.  It's also time for being with Morrigan.  

I haul out my pumpkin collection when I first see a couple leaves change colour.  And I have some silk autumn coloured leaves that I bring out too to replace the sunflowers in a vase for a couple other deities I relate with.  The candles I use are now seasonally related too, scentwise.  There are also bits and pieces that are out year round and Morrigan related: a couple yew and willow branches/twigs tied with red and black ribbon, stones to represent her as earth, raven feathers, obsidian and onyx in a dish and a 9" 'LambChopo stuffed toy She kept wanting me to buy for Her (I have to admit, he *is* kinda cute...)

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 12:38:32 pm »
How do you celebrate Samhain? (i.e. Ritual, Pumpkin Carving, Offerings, etc)

I consider the things I do for Halloween and the things I do for Samhain to be separate Stuff, though they happen around the same time. (I celebrate Samhain on the 1st of November.) They're both about community, but Halloween is a celebration of secular, local community- strengthening bonds by rotting each other's children's teeth out- and Samhain is a celebration of the historical family (and extended, chosen family), particularly those that have passed.

Halloween involves mass quantities of candy, my Peanuts/Snoopy Halloween decorations, and 'spooky' movies like Hocus Pocus, Halloweentown, Resident Evil, Shaun of the Dead, etc.

Samhain involves a meal for my Beloved Dead comprising of seasonal/comfort food, shrine offerings of water, fire, bread, and usually booze to my Beloved and Nameless Dead, outdoor offerings of water and bread to placate the restless dead and Good Folk, and sometimes divination to communicate with my Dead, if I feel a particular nudge.

I do have crossover in jack-o-lanterns; scary faces sit in the window/on the porch to keep out the restless dead/wandering Good Folk, and cute ones are scattered here and there because pumpkins.

I know there are a bunch of ways for the pronunciation of Samhain, how do you pronounce it?

Historically, it's pronounced 'sow-in' or 'sah-win' with stress on the first syllable, depending on regional accents. I tend toward the latter.

Ideas for celebrating Samhain when you're in a completely Christian household?

If you won't be barged in on in your room, you could do divination to communicate with the dead. Jack-o-lanterns at liminal spots to keep the wandering dead away from your home (windows, doors that lead outside, fence gates or edges of property) would probably not raise alarm. Working on a project related to your family dead, like the family tree, sorting through old family belongings, recording family stories and memories would all be appropriate.

Offerings that would be subtle and inexpensive could involve a favorite kind of candy or snack, playing music the person liked, watching one of their favorite tv shows or movies, reading a favorite book, etc. It doesn't have to be food or drink; a shared, pleasant experience can be enough.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

drekfletch

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheist. Hellenic-ish
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 01:28:27 pm »

Not being Celtic I don't celebrate Samhain, but Halloween.  For me, it's incorporating the gods into local festivals.  It's a day for honoring those gods who are Apotropaios, Averters of Evil.  Part of that is portraying the evil they're averting.  It's also a day for honoring the Enodioi, the Gods of Travelers.  Nov and Dec are big "go and visit" months, so Halloween kind of kicks that off.  Also, trick or treaters are traveling, and there's quite a bit of mythology about the gods going about in disguise to test people.

So, for me, the secular trappings of Halloween comprise much of the devotional activity.
There is no inherent meaning to life.  Stop looking and give your life meaning.
------------------------------------------
Chapter 91 of The Order War by L.E.Modesitt jr.  If I could quote the entire thing I would.

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 07:43:02 pm »

My take on Samhain and Halloween is very much like Juni's.  Halloween is treated as a secular holiday, a community celebration that can be a bit goofy and irreverent.  Pumpkin carving is a part of the Halloween celebrations, as is handing out treats, costumed parties, decorating the house, watching ooky-spooky movies,  etc.

I celebrate Samhain separately from Halloween.... privately, mostly in silence, and without the silliness that accompanies Halloween.  Candles are placed in the windows to help the Beloved Dead find their way home and the house warded to discourage uninvited wanderers.  I hold a Dumb Supper, with places set for friends and family who have passed (framed pictures are set around the table, along with a plate and glass for each person).  After that, it's offerings to the deities and prayers for those who have departed during the past year.  

Sow-en (Sow rhyming with how, rather than pronouncing it like 'reap and sow')

My thought on it is that Samhain celebrations need to take into account the beliefs of the homeowners.

'Christian' encompasses a very wide gambit of beliefs regarding the Halloween season. A Christian household might be very open to others celebrating Halloween however a person likes; other Christian households may hold the belief that it's an evil thing and that those who celebrate it are eternally damned. If I were in the latter household, I'd limit my celebrations to silent, private prayers or, more likely,  take my Samhain activities off the property.  In a less conservative household, I might put out pictures of the departed, light candles, and put out a small offering plate.

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

herkles

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 08:16:22 pm »

Similar to you, I do not have much money lately plus living at college does mean there are restrictions on certain things to do, ie no candles or incense or anything with a flame; which is fine knowing how people in my dorm act(burning raman noodels in a microwave for example) I am sort of glad that there is no fire things allowed, even if I normally would like to use them.

That being said for me I have a few things I do or try to do.

-pumpkin carving; yea the ancient irish used turnips and what not but I just prefer pumpkins.
-A prayer for the my ancestors, if there are any who have passed away recently
-leaving some food out for my ancestors and asking them to come and eat with me
-Light a candle and Incense for my ancenstors, particularly if one has died recently or just someone I am thinking of.

If I had the money, I would try to cook Brambrack bread for my dorm but saddly I do not have much money currently but this is something which I wish to do in the future. Being solitary my ritual for samhain is not really elaborate.

Sow in is how I pronnounce it.

Well that depends on how your family are relating to your religion. Do they tell you "you are going to hell"? or do they just not understand it and do not care for it?

But in either case, you can still take the time to remember the dead, if your parents are fine with it put up a candle to honor them. If you have any dinner around samhain, you could ask for a 'moment of silience' to remember your ancestors and what not.

my two cents. :)

Aiwelin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 05:16:15 pm »
Quote from: Juni;126053
I consider the things I do for Halloween and the things I do for Samhain to be separate Stuff, though they happen around the same time. (I celebrate Samhain on the 1st of November.) They're both about community, but Halloween is a celebration of secular, local community- strengthening bonds by rotting each other's children's teeth out- and Samhain is a celebration of the historical family (and extended, chosen family), particularly those that have passed.

+1

That's a lovely way to put it!  I've been struggling with the differences between Halloween and Samhain.. they are clearly different, but the exact details have eluded me.

We also celebrate Halloween in much the same way as others: pumpkins, trick or treating.  The next day we take chocolate chip cookies (great-grandmother's recipe) and do a cemetery tour, stopping at the three or four in town where we have ancestors buried.  We leave them each a cookie and a libation of water (former alcoholics and parents-of-alcoholics don't get alcohol) and talk about memories and stories.  We've done this for the past few years, and the kids actually really enjoy it.

Oops, I forgot to add!  Since you're limited in your ability to practice by yourself at home, it may be advantageous for you to look around for a local group with their own space.  Then you still get to do ritual, but you don't have to worry about stepping on your parent's toes.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 05:17:27 pm by Aiwelin »
Devotee of Nerthus
Worshipper of Germanic Deities
Now blogging on Patheos Pagan!  Check out Heathen at Heart

In the Nebraska-Iowa area?  Come check out Prairie Shadow Protogrove, ADF!
Ár nDraíocht Féin
The Troth

GuidedRaven

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://nor-se.tumblr.com
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 05:36:11 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;125972

For your friend's ashes (my condolences), light a candle (usually black) and some incense in his/her/zir memory and meditate on the wonderful times you had together.

Why a black candle? I've read about black candles used mainly in banishing/absorbing negative energy, etc. But I also know that Black and Orange are seen as a primary color scheme for Samhain, so does it have to do more with Samhain itself or...?

Thank you all for your replies :) I will be able to practise and do as I please (within reason) in my room, like light incense and candles and pray.

Quote from: herkles
Well that depends on how your family are relating to your religion. Do they tell you "you are going to hell"? or do they just not understand it and do not care for it?

My parents are a bit different in how they view my religion. My mom just doesn't understand and gets a bit anxious about what I do. Whereas my step dad (grew up in the south) sees my religion as the Bible explains Paganism, or makes it out to be. He doesn't understand either, but he more so is bothered by it. I don't even take my tarot cards out around him for fear of a loud argument. But I have little siblings and am pretty sure that my parents will be gone taking them trick or treating for a good while so I'll have that time to myself.

Quote from: PhantomQueen
I bake Soul Cakes and leave some out for them.

I've had this question for awhile, and I've been contemplating if I want to bake soul cakes or not (another thing I'd have to explain to my parents). What do you do with the offerings after the day is over? And then also, do you eat a few soul cakes/share with family as well?
--Guided Raven

"Under your wing I feel complete safety,
Atop your talon I feel free,
Against your feathers my body is awakened,
At your beak I intake breath.

In the air I can be,
Holding fast to your scaly feet,
Large and powerful being,
Taking me higher and higher; So I can\'t breathe."

KuroiTenshi

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 08:09:12 pm »
Hello all,

I celebrate Samhain is by doing a silent dinner for my relative that has past and work on my family tree. I pronounced Samhain like "saw-win".  I completely understand the whole Christian household situation. I am, also, in a similar situation. I just plan to do my ritual when everyone is in their beds/rooms. Also I do not to make the ritual elaborate for example. I making my Samhain offerings from scratch (Pumpkin Scones and Apple Spice Cider) and no one is the wiser what I am up to. I also use the top of my dresser as an alter. So when I need to do a ritual I take off all the random stuff and lay my ritual stuff in order and once I am finish I put away my ritual stuff and put random stuff back up again.

It really depends on how open you want to be around your folks.

Hope this helps. :)

southernfriedwiccan

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 03:36:13 pm »
How do you celebrate Samhain?

My celebration begins a few days prior to Samhain with carving a pumpkin with my little ones. Then on Samhain I take them trick or treating. Followed by a quiet and solitary vigil over a bonfire, where I paid homage to my ancestors, my lost love ones, the dying of the Sun, and the long march through cold and darkness as the earth slumbers.

This year so far has been a bit more involved. First my family and I harvested our sweet potatoes from our garden. Truly our last harvest of the year,  they were all that remains among the dead, dry, stalks. We thanked the earth for our  abundant this year.

I was lucky enough to find a single Paw-Paw still clinging to life in the patch. Their ripening has been over now for a couple of weeks. I consider them to be an American fruit of the dead and of the Nether.  So it was only appropriate to leave it out for an offering for the wandering spirits of the dead and any other disembodied spirits that happened to wander by.

We sat down and carved our pumpkins and I decided that this year I wanted to make a pinata. While I do believe that there is a somber note to Samhain.  I think it is just as important to remember that there should be some revelry involved in it as well. After all we call it a celebration. So I really like to get the energy from my little ones involved. Their unspoiled enthusiasm and wonder really energizes spirits. I made the pinata to look somewhat like a day of the Dead skull. We will be busting that open tomorrow before trick or treating. Then I'll end my night with the bonfire.
Southernfriedwiccan
My blog -> hillbillywitchcraft.wordpress.com

outlaw393

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 09:49:16 pm »

How do you celebrate Samhain? (i.e. Ritual, Pumpkin Carving, Offerings, etc)

Either I'm in costume that day, or if not I'm home doing some sort of ritual. I don't honor the dead or my ancestors in any way on Samhain or any other day of the year.
Conformity is the death of individualism

PhantomQueen

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 03:58:53 pm »
Quote from: GuidedRaven;126206
I've had this question for awhile, and I've been contemplating if I want to bake soul cakes or not (another thing I'd have to explain to my parents). What do you do with the offerings after the day is over? And then also, do you eat a few soul cakes/share with family as well?

I'd give the ones left out to  a couple people I know are a bit hard up.  There are a couple people in my apt building that could do with a few 'extra' and there's also a food bank that does foodlines to help the homeless.  Its part of my being with Morrigan that has made realize how important community (being in a 'tribe' of sorts) that wants to make sure to spend 3-4 hours a week to volunteer in the community.  

Yes, I do keep a few soul cakes for myself and share them :)  I feel my maternal grandmother with me as I bake them.  She's passed away quite awhile ago and This is one way I feel her close by.  

If your parents question your making them, you could just say that you want to start a new tradition.  That's how I've kept the mincemeat tarts-making on Dec 24th every year.  My maternal grandmother worked and the only time she had to make them was at this time.  My mum kept it up as that's her connection with her mum.  I do it 'just because' it's a connection with my grandmother...

Tags: