collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: The Flame - Drumming up discussion  (Read 3698 times)

Devo

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seshemherkekew.livejournal.com
The Flame - Drumming up discussion
« on: August 06, 2011, 12:28:03 pm »
So, in order to drum up discussion, and to help myself to get a better grasp on FK topics, I'm gonna post some of my own thoughts/journal entries on the topics posted on FK.org. So I started with one of the first topics: The Flame. Below are my thoughts and responses to the post. Please feel free to add your own below!

Initial Thoughts:

I think the most important thing to take from this is that we are all divine. And that, in order to make the world a better place, we should honor eachother, and build each other up, instead of tearing each other down. Even without the concept of all of us being divine, I think this is a goal that everyone should strive for. What is ever achieved when we constantly tear people down? Usually, people who are big into doing that seem to be unhappy with their own lives, and seek to make themselves feel better by putting other down.

I think that, perhaps, the biggest struggle for people to deal with when it comes to 'everything is divine' is exactly that- it's all divine. From the rock on the ground, to that person you can't stand, to the fecal matter that comes out of your bum. It's all divine. It's all part of the messy creation that is life. It all has its place, and that's part of the beauty of it all.

We are an interdependent species, reliant upon one another for our very survival. However, we are also separate individuals, with our own desires and needs. We must learn to nurture our own Flame while constricting others as little as possible, to let each Flame burn brightly without inhibiting another. We can, if we so choose, help everyone achieve their goals.

I think this is ever important. It rings closely with my Shinto learnings- that we all need eachother. That we should all strive to help one another. That it is the will of Kami to do this. The Kannagara that Shinto teaches- to live by the path of Kami. In Kemetic terms, I associate this with Ma'at (though Ma'at isn't always so fluffy happy, in my experience).

When we can truly accept our mistakes, learn from them, and take responsibility for them, then and only then can we grow beyond them and cease to make the same mistakes again and again.

This is something Set had worked with me on last year. Or the last two years, really. He took me, and showed me his dark side. And then, more or less, showed me my own. And said 'deal with it'. In order to be balanced, the darkness must be addressed. You have to get to know it. If you ignore it, it will only continue to stew and grow in the depths of yourself. And although you won't notice it, it will taint your actions, your speech- everything. I whole heartedly agree that people need to deal with their inner darkness.

Questions:

What are your flaws?

I have many flaws. I am angered quickly, and I constantly have to keep it in check. My red hair rules me. I am also quick to judge myself. I always say that I have blackness in my heart. I have dark thoughts and feelings that aren't productive to myself, or others. I also have to keep that in check. I have other flaws, but let's start with these :P

What are your virtues?

I am loyal. I'm hardworking. I can be affable, and a good friend- if you take the time to get to know me. I can't really think of much else right now lol.

Which question was harder to answer and why?

I think the virtues is harder to answer. The only reason the flaws are hard is because I can think of so many at once that I get overloaded, and I can't find the right words anymore. I think flaws for many people are easier to answer because our society likes to point out our flaws, not our strengths. If you believe in yourself, or are confident in yourself, many people like to say that you are egotistical. It seems our nation thrives on putting everyone down.

What feeds your Flame?

Dancing. Music. Happiness. Learning. Growing. Being around people I enjoy. Good conversation. Good food.

What stifles it?

Anger. Hostility. Negativity (that is unneeded, unwarranted, unproductive and/or unnecessary). Debbie downers. Fear.

Which do you court in your life?

I try to feed my flame. The more I branch into Shinto and FK practices, the lower my tolerance for stifling traits is. And that is from myself, and from others. I try to keep away from people that push my down, that bring down the mood of the area I'm in. I try to focus on the good, and less on the bad. Life is to short to be miserable all the time.

How do you nurture other people’s Flames?

I try to help people realize their goals. I try to help others learn, and to be a resource to those who need my assistance. A goal for me in the future is to become more involved in charity work, which I think would help to nurture my and others' flames. I could probably work harder on nurturing others, which I think could be started by trying to keep in mind that everyone is divine.

Allow your own to be nurtured?

I try to include activities in my life that make me happy, and build up my flame. That's about all I can say on that.

Do you live in a nurturing environment?

Yes and no. My home is nurturing. I'm in a good relationship, and I can practice my faith freely at home. I'm also able to do things I enjoy at home. However, my work environment is toxic, and full of people who hate being there. Yet, due to the economy, can't go anywhere else. My job environment, at best, is crap. I'm currently working on finding solutions to this, but it takes time.

-Devo
dA | FB | LJ | WP

Fier

• Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: The Flame - Drumming up discussion
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 02:36:18 pm »
Quote from: Devo;10934

I think that, perhaps, the biggest struggle for people to deal with when it comes to 'everything is divine' is exactly that- it's all divine. From the rock on the ground, to that person you can't stand, to the fecal matter that comes out of your bum. It's all divine. It's all part of the messy creation that is life. It all has its place, and that's part of the beauty of it all.

I struggled with this for a long time. I couldn't get my head around the idea that EVERY LITTLE thing was divine. I just had to accept it and move forward. One day I got it, and I actually blogged about it:

The particular essay I was reading talked about how we are all divine. I jotted down in my notes, “I am divine, you are you divine, we are all divine.” Then suddenly it hit me. Divinity does not equal godhood. Divinity equals change. All-That-Is is divine because everything has the ability to create, destroy, and effect its surroundings.

That gum wrapper may seem small and insignificant, but what resources went into producing it? How many people were involved in the process, and how did its production effect their lives? What uses will it have through its lifetime? Will it be made into a paper chain and given to a friend? Added to a mosaic and hung in an art museum? What kind of effects will it have on the world after its disposal?

As for the questions:
My flaws are that I’m lazy, pessimistic, short-tempered, and sometimes rude. I want people to speak to me in bullet points, and get annoyed when they fill in a million details I don’t need to hear.

My virtues are that I’m loyal, independent, and honest. Sometimes more-so than people want to hear.

It’s easy for me to admit my flaws, but not so easy to work on them.

What fuels my flame? Quality time with good friends. Completing goals. Moving forward. Spending time in nature, horseback riding, mountain biking. Hugs.

What stifles my flame? Depression. Lack of motivation, laziness. Apathy.

How do I nurture others’ flames? I try to support and encourage other people when they need it. I try to pass on the things I've learned to help others.

Devo

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 05:53:46 pm »
Quote from: FierFlye;10946
I struggled with this for a long time. I couldn't get my head around the idea that EVERY LITTLE thing was divine. I just had to accept it and move forward. One day I got it, and I actually blogged about it:

I think I was born with the idea that everything is divine, or at least, living, or could contain the divine, etc. I remember being a kid, and having all of these stuffed cats. I loved them. I treated them like real cats. I'd keep them on my bed, lining them up down the wall- making sure that they could all see and breath easily. It was weird how I treated them in retrospect, but I guess I thought that they were something special.

Everything is special. In this modern age, we treat our objects like crap. We don't care anymore- it's just an item. And if it breaks, we can get another. Everything is disposable. I think this plays a role in the problems of seeing the divine in everything. Perhaps it's too much effort to worry about or care about all of the items around us... or something. I still think it's a noble/good idea to try and see the divinity around us. Makes it a lot easier to stay connected and happy, at least for me.

-Devo
dA | FB | LJ | WP

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 10:06:17 am »

Thank you for starting the discussion!

The bit of the essay that really hits home, for me, is this passage:

All which is, is Divine, part of the self-aware Universe. There is nothing in existence that is profane, no split between the body and the soul. There is nowhere and nothing but the Universe, physical and spiritual. That is not to say the physical world is the sum total of existence. The Universe is bigger than any one mind could hope to comprehend, and the layers of existence and possibilities are endless. But there is no beyond to move to, no better life elsewhere. What is here, is.

When I'm reeling from interactions with the world, I have to remind myself to go back to this concept - all that is, is Divine - what is here, is.  

I'll get to the questions in my next post.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Shawnee

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 05:06:57 pm »
''''

Questions:
What are your flaws? What are your virtues? Which question was harder to answer and why?
What feeds your Flame? What stifles it? Which do you court in your life?
How do you nurture other people’s Flames? Allow your own to be nurtured? Do you live in a nurturing environment?

To start off I have crazy mood swings, am very critical of myself, and procrastinate.

I'm loyal and a good listener.

It was much easier to give the faults. I think it was easier because I am very critical and judgmental toward myself so finding fault is never hard.

Alone time in nature, playing with my dogs, listening to music, having card games with my family, and comfort food feed my Flame.

What stifles my Flame is family disharmony and negative thoughts about myself.

I'm getting better at feeding the Flame. Not so long ago though I not only stifled but smothered my Flame.

I nurture other people's Flame by doing small things for them. Things like buying/making a special snack, picking up collection items at thrift stores, and just giving a call to see how they are doing.

I'm trying to nurture myself by doing small things for me. I've finally came to the conclusion that I can't feed others if I am empty.

My environment is nurturing overall. I have a wonderful husband who is caring, helpful, and supportive. I'm also blessed with a strong extended family. I am learning to deal with having my in-laws live with us. Guess like most people there are good days and bad days.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 05:07:46 pm by Shawnee »

acidrica

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 08:09:05 pm »
So, in order to drum up discussion, and to help myself to get a better grasp on FK topics, I'm gonna post some of my own thoughts/journal entries on the topics posted on FK.org. So I started with one of the first topics: The Flame. Below are my thoughts and responses to the post. Please feel free to add your own below!

Here is my reaction as written on my blog:

Being part of a greater whole is something that I used to really, really have issue with. I started my path with chaos magic, and at that point in time I could say that my greatest goal was to remain as separate from the rest of the universe as I could. I was scared to death of being ‘reabsorbed’ into the universe when I died. I wanted to blaze my own path, free from the expectations of others. Nowadays though, I’ve found that much of the attitude I had was based on a fear of non-existence. I’ve had to teach myself that no, being a part of a greater whole does not mean that I’m not important. If anything it gives me worth.

The idea that everything is Divine is something I can deal with. However, once I realize that that means everyone is Divine…my faith in it breaks down. There are people that I wish weren’t a part of Divinity. There are people that I wish I could harm without hurting myself or the greater whole in some way. I have been wronged, deeply, by people, and coping with the idea that they too are a part of everything is difficult for me. Part of me wishes they didn’t matter. However, I have to realize that my problem with this concept is based in how I wish things were, not in how they actually are.

Answers to questions:

What are your flaws?

My fear is my greatest flaw, and I would say that it colors everything I do. I’m afraid of failure, so I don’t try to make things better for myself. I’m afraid of death so much that it colors how I view life. I’m vengeful. If someone hurts me, and keeps hurting me, I reach a point where I want to hurt them back. I used to lie all the time, and I still have a tendency to lie when I’m afraid, and only later explain the truth of the matter. I’m lazy, but that’s mostly because I’m afraid that I’m lazy, so I just don’t try.

What are your virtues?

I’m loyal, and I try very hard to not harm other people. I’m intelligent and generally kind. I’m creative. I genuinely want to help people.

Virtues, because I’ve trained myself to focus on the bad things I do. I feel that if I don’t remind myself of my flaws, that I won’t work to fix them. I don’t have to fix what’s good about myself.

What feeds your Flame?

Creating art, experiencing love, spending time with loved ones, reading, music, faith and spirituality, doing things that help others.

What stifles it?

Wasting time, hiding from life, dramatic situations, fear, obsession.

I would love to say that I tend towards feeding my flame, but I really don’t. I tend to hide from life by not doing what I need to do. I tend to flock to dramatic situations. I tend to obsess over things, and I tend to wallow in my fear.

I try to be as kind and helpful to them as I can. I try to give them an outside perspective, and someone to listen to their problems when things get tough. I try to bring wonder into their lives by showing them things that are beautiful. I try not to enable bad behavior.

I try to give myself time to de-stress, but I often turn that into a way to hide from life. I accept love from my friends and family, but that’s about it.

I do, which is why it’s so odd that I tend to stifle my flame so much. My mother is extremely supportive, as are my friends.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 08:17:47 am »
Quote from: veggiewolf;11430
...I'll get to the questions in my next post.

What are your flaws?

Impatience, pessimism, procrastination, and fits of overwhelming emotion.  The last include the red emotions which, while beneficial to helping me come out of depression, are not conducive to flame work

What are your virtues?

I genuinely want to help people, I have patience with genuine ignorance, empathy, and loyalty...as long as I am not stabbed in the back.

Which question was harder to answer...and why?

I think many of us tend to look for virtues in others and not in ourselves.  It is second nature to me to focus my attention on my flaws - not for the purpose of improving them, but for the purpose of convincing myself I'm not worthy in some way.  

What feeds your Flame?

Singing, swimming, being with (chosen) family and friends, having the time to breathe.

What stifles it?

Stress, anxiety, and the pushing down of emotional reactions out of fear of losing control.

I've been trying to work against stress and anxiety for almost two years, through therapy and writing.  Unfortunately, they still come to me on a routine basis, knowing that I'll accept them.

How do you nurture other people's Flames?

I try to give people the benefit of the doubt.  I offer help when asked (and sometimes when not!)  I want to see good things happen to my friends and they are very aware of it.

I try to accept help when I need it and to not deflect genuine praise...but it doesn't always work.

Some of the time, I do...but even if I lived in one all of the time I am uncertain if I'd be able to allow myself to be nurtured.  It is one of the (many) things I need to address.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

comW

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 08:27:29 am »

What are your flaws?

I'm Lazy, arrogant and regulary annoyed. and I let that colour my view of everything

What are your virtues?

I am loyal, and kinda smart, especially efficient.

I think the virtues is harder to answer, mostly brcuase I have a hard time admitting I have any.

What feeds your Flame?

music, painting, neat tricks with code, moving things forward.

What stifles it?

Used to be fear, but i've reduced that to a managable level. refusal to see the other side can be an issue still.

both unfortunatly. I still let myself get to stuck up to fast.

I try to help people realize their goals, sometimes I even succed. I try and help people carry on.

I try to include activities that help me relax, first and frequently.

sometimes? My work life varies between hugely nurturi ng and hugely depressing. my home life includes good friendships and occasional toxic interactions. it balances, mostly to the OK.
Steve - ComW

try and find me in the MUX. It does happen

comW

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 08:28:20 am »
Quote from: comW;11942

Im making progress, its well worth coming back to these.
Steve - ComW

try and find me in the MUX. It does happen

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 02:18:26 pm »

I just blogged my answers to the prompts, but I'll repost them below:

What are your flaws?
A doozy of a question to start out with! I am lazy. I am naturally inclined to take the easy way out. I exploit stereotypes of feminine uselessness and stupidity to further allow myself to be lazy. I am not good at maintaining relationships. I hold grudges. I have a tendency to conflate ‘want’ with ‘need’, and even when I recognize that conflation, I still give in. I spend too much money. I can be rude and abrasive. I spend too much time lost in dreams of the future. I lack discipline. I have maladaptive social behaviors. I don’t finish what I start. I internalize stress until it festers into depression and self-loathing. …I think I’m going to stop there.

What are your virtues?
I am relatively patient, in person. I regularly take time for myself to do things that make me happy. I examine situations that went poorly to see how I contributed to the problem and how I can do better next time. I do not allow prejudice in my personal space. I speak up when others are being bullied or abused. I don’t allow my first impressions of a person to color my behavior towards them. I give second chances. I try to be rational.

Definitely virtues. I think it was harder to answer because I see myself as having more things to be fixed than things that are functional. That being said, I don’t hate myself or see myself as a bad person- I just have some self-improvement to do, like everyone does.

What feeds your [Bright] Flame?
Spending time with my cats, watching my favorite tv shows, cupcakes, sushi, Thai drunken noodles, thunderstorms, reading, writing, laughter, shopping, crafting.

What stifles it?
Thinking about past romantic relationships, self-doubt, social anxiety, fear of making more mistakes, fear of not getting what I want out of life, fear of staying the in dark of depression forever.

I am really good at doing things that make me happy. I might even go so far as to say that I am self-indulgent; I think I will seem less self-indulgent when I have a job.

I encourage people to do what they want to do, what makes them happy, instead of giving in to familial/societal pressure to do something else.

[How do you] allow your own to be nurtured?
I’m not really sure?

Yes and no. My family certainly tries to be nurturing, and they succeed in many ways, but their own issues inadvertently lead to some…stifling/unhealthy environments. I can hardly blame them, though, as their intentions are good!
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Devo

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 09:55:33 pm »

It's been interesting reading through everyone's stuff. Seeing that we all have our ups and downs, our good and bad.

It has got me to wondering though- what are we doing to help lessen the bad? For some of your flaws, are you actively working to eliminate them? Have you found that any sort of method or process helps you to work towards betting yourself?

My biggest demon lately has been eating out. I'm trying to actively work on that right now by planning out my meals better, and investing more money into what I buy- so that I have more variety, and less excuse to eat out.

I'm also trying to focus on the FK homework about thinking about my virtues, and fitting in more time (ha!) for things that feed the flame. I'm sorta... not doing so hot on that XD

How about you guys?

-Devo
dA | FB | LJ | WP

Shawnee

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 12:14:20 pm »
Quote from: Devo;12506
It has got me to wondering though- what are we doing to help lessen the bad? For some of your flaws, are you actively working to eliminate them? Have you found that any sort of method or process helps you to work towards betting yourself? -Devo

Flaws I listed where crazy mood swings, being very critical of myself, and procrastinating. There are a few more hanging around but I'm working on those first because I think they contribute to most of the others.

Making sure I take my medicine helps lessen the mood swings. So I'm making an effort to fill up the weekly pill box to help me in remembering whether or not I've taken them for the day/night. When I feel a doozy coming on I will either go sit outside or lie down to focus and center.

To help with my procrastination I have a notepad beside me for listing things I want/need to do. I've always loved list making but the lists would be scattered around the house. Of course the list making is easy the doing is the hard part. Having the pad beside me keeps it in my field of vision so forgetting to work on the list is harder.

I've been critical of myself for nigh on 44yrs so that is the biggest hurdle to overcome. Beginning to nurture my connection with the Divine is a large step.  Also I feel Flamekeeping will be a great help in rewiring my brain to see myself in a different light.

Tags: