collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Magical Stones in the Kitchen  (Read 1553 times)

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
Magical Stones in the Kitchen
« on: October 05, 2013, 03:00:56 pm »
This is probably in the wrong place, so feel free to move it if necessary.

I take a metal smithing class in school, and one of our projects is to make a utensil/holder/something to do with our favorite food. Mine is pie, so I'm making a pie/cake server. I'm making it out of copper, then sending it out to be silver plated when I'm done. I'd like to mount a stone or two in the handle, but still want to keep a magical touch to it.

My question is, are there any particular stones related to cooking and/or kitchen witchery?
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Breeze

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Magical Stones in the Kitchen
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 03:59:28 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;124247
This is probably in the wrong place, so feel free to move it if necessary.

I take a metal smithing class in school, and one of our projects is to make a utensil/holder/something to do with our favorite food. Mine is pie, so I'm making a pie/cake server. I'm making it out of copper, then sending it out to be silver plated when I'm done. I'd like to mount a stone or two in the handle, but still want to keep a magical touch to it.

My question is, are there any particular stones related to cooking and/or kitchen witchery?

The first stone that I thought of was Garnet, but honestly I have no reasoning for that and glancing at its correspondences I don't know why it popped.  Quartz seems like a good bet because it's good for anything and everything.  I personally would probably use Rose Quartz because the kitchen is/was the "heart" of the household.  There's also that whole 'put love into everything you cook' and what not.

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 04:05:50 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;124247

Amethyst was originally a charm against inebriation. Other than that, I don't know of any magical stones particularly related to food or drink. So, I'd go for something that just looks good with silver, like gray haematite, or rainbow moonstone.

Carnelians and red jasper correspond to a general boost in health.
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 04:26:35 pm »
Quote from: Breeze;124251
The first stone that I thought of was Garnet, but honestly I have no reasoning for that and glancing at its correspondences I don't know why it popped.  Quartz seems like a good bet because it's good for anything and everything.  I personally would probably use Rose Quartz because the kitchen is/was the "heart" of the household.  There's also that whole 'put love into everything you cook' and what not.

Quote from: triple_entendre;124253
Amethyst was originally a charm against inebriation. Other than that, I don't know of any magical stones particularly related to food or drink. So, I'd go for something that just looks good with silver, like gray haematite, or rainbow moonstone.

Carnelians and red jasper correspond to a general boost in health.

I was actually thinking about moonstone initially, but I figured I'd ask. And what books/sites do you use for correspondences?
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Breeze

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 07:23:20 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;124256
I was actually thinking about moonstone initially, but I figured I'd ask. And what books/sites do you use for correspondences?

For stones I use two sources: Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Crystal, Gem, and Metal Magic and Laurie Cabot's Table of Correspondences which can be found in the back of all of her books.  I do strongly adhere to following one's gut though, so if you are feeling Moonstone then that is what I would use.

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 02:06:39 am »
Quote from: missgraceless;124256

I started with Stone Power by Dorothee Mella, but now I actually wouldn't recommend any book on stone correspondences.

Many correspondences are based on superstitions, which change an awful lot. (Like, how did amethyst go from "designated driver stone" to "ultimate magick powahs!!"? Most books gloss over the former and keep to the latter.)

So, now my go-to book is Chris Pellant's Eyewitness Handbook: Rocks & Minerals and this Singaporean magazine Treasures of the Earth which focuses on physical formation and properties, and I research online to see if they're poisonous to hold or infuse, if they react badly to water or sunlight or whatever.

And the magickal correspondences become almost all intuitive (or cultural, like the color red = blood, blood = health, all red stones = health, carnelian, garnet, or red jasper... also name etymology can be a supplementary indicator: carnelian means "meaty", amethyst means "not drunk") I believe that is extraordinarily important because of individual "astral body chemistry". If you're drawn to moonstone, then go for it! But I was personally advised to use moonstone because of my star sign, when the stone itself just kept me feeling queasy. When it comes to spiritual matters, trust yourself over the books. (When it comes to physical matters, trust the books on physical stuff.)
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Tags: