collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Natures relationship with different pagan religions  (Read 5339 times)

ethelwulf

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Natures relationship with different pagan religions
« on: September 27, 2013, 12:57:10 am »
Nature’s relationship with different pagan religions
Note – I am not trying to imply that all pagan religions should be nature or earth centered in this thread. I want to understand how different people see nature with respect to their practices and beliefs. The introduction below is just how I see my relationship to nature.

Many pagan religions see themselves as nature-worshiping religions including the pagan federation but not all pagans agree.  Reverence for nature is probably the most important practice in my pagan religion whatever it may be called which has been influenced by English and Welsh folklore I learned growing up along with Native American teachings from the northeastern region. I recently discovered writings from my ancestors preserved in our families old bibles (which were in storage) handed down through the family from before the 1700’s. These writings had personal beliefs about nature and the importance of respect to animals and trees. Finally my introduction into paganism in the 1970's was with people who indicated that reverence for nature and the belief in the goddess as well as the god were important to paganism.

Evidence for the importance of nature in pre-Christian paganism that I have found is very diverse. The celebrations are associated with natural events specifically the celestial motions. These are all connected with natural cycles including the human body to harvest celebrations and convey a reverence towards nature. Shamanistic activity, which is implied in the myths and folklore of the Celtic and Germanic people, is traditionally associated with contacting spirits of nature. There is a rich folklore of shape shifting and transformations including stories that people and or god can change into animal form as well as communicating with animals or animal communicating to humans. Sacred areas were in nature such as groves, springs, bodies of water and trees in particular were symbolic in Celtic and Germanic myth and belief.

I began looking for others interested in paganism that I became aware that there were very different views on the importance of nature with respect to different pagan religions. I have given some personal views on the relationship of paganism to my pagan religion but I would like to know how other pagan religions view nature with respect to their practices and or beliefs.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 07:59:09 am by RandallS »

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Natures relationship with different pagan religions
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 08:01:22 am »
Quote from: ethelwulf;123337
Note – I am not trying to imply that all pagan religions should be nature or earth centered in this thread. I want to understand how different people see nature with respect to their practices and beliefs.

Hellenic Paganism is a fairly urban religion. There are deities a a few festivals associated with nature, but the Hellenic Paganism is not based on the worship of the Earth or of nature.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

ethelwulf

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 10:58:41 am »
Quote from: RandallS;123366
Hellenic Paganism is a fairly urban religion. There are deities a a few festivals associated with nature, but the Hellenic Paganism is not based on the worship of the Earth or of nature.

I am not as farmiliar with Hellenic paganism but that makes sense. Urbanization would distance you from contact with nature with a feeling of less dependence on it. That is what I think is interesting about the Romantic movement where there was a feeling  too much of a separation from nature in England's cities. It was this time were we see an interest in the revival of pagan ideas in the free masons and the literature of the time. Although there is no evidence they were trying to recreate a pagan religion for themselves it is clear the idea of paganism had caught their attention. In the 1950s 1960s we see another renewed interest in nature with an ecology culture surfacing at the same time of the beginning of modern paganism.

On of the things that connected paganism with nature was the image that paganism was a nature centered religion. Wiccan faiths tend to be earth centered religions. It is only recently were some of the pagan religions have distanced themselves from the image of an earth/nature centered religion. At least that's what I have found from what I have learned.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 11:15:38 am »
Evidence for the importance of nature in pre-Christian paganism that I have found is very diverse. The celebrations are associated with natural events specifically the celestial motions.

It is worth noting that this does not distinguish pagan religions from other religions in any way, and that includes Christianity.

If you wonder why we don't hear about Catholic planting-blessing ceremonies, which do in fact exist and are important in their communities, the answer has a lot more to do with "We aren't Catholic farmers" than "Christianity does not pay attention to natural cycles."
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

ethelwulf

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 11:24:04 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;123384
It is worth noting that this does not distinguish pagan religions from other religions in any way, and that includes Christianity.

If you wonder why we don't hear about Catholic planting-blessing ceremonies, which do in fact exist and are important in their communities, the answer has a lot more to do with "We aren't Catholic farmers" than "Christianity does not pay attention to natural cycles."

I believe there is a difference between how pagans who have a nature/earth - centered practice see nature than Christians. That does not mean some Christians do not respect nature because I know many that do but there is still a difference in their relationship to nature.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 11:26:43 am »
...Reverence for nature is probably the most important practice in my pagan religion whatever it may be called which has been influenced by English and Welsh folklore I learned growing up along with Native American teachings from the northeastern region.

I live in the Delaware Valley and would be interested in any sources you have for Lenape/Delaware teachings.  I used to work in environmental education, and we had a garden based on Lenape methods, but I found few resources that went beyond the "this is what was planted, this is what was harvested, these are the tools that were used", etc.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 11:27:51 am by veggiewolf »
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 12:03:35 pm »
Quote from: ethelwulf;123381
It is only recently were some of the pagan religions have distanced themselves from the image of an earth/nature centered religion.

That has more to do with the fact that these "other" pagan religions are completely different religions. They didn't distance themselves, they're just highlighting the already-existing differences.  And they have good reasons to do so.

Brina

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 12:13:10 pm »
Note – I am not trying to imply that all pagan religions should be nature or earth centered in this thread. I want to understand how different people see nature with respect to their practices and beliefs.

My religion itself is not nature based at all. We revere nature the same way we do everything else, as it is all a manifestation of the Divine. We also are reasonable people that understand that this planet is our home, that we need to live in harmony with our surroundings because it is in the best interest of all involved - both humanity and nature. But we don't place any divinity on nature.

That said, I personally revere nature because it is where I connect best. I can feel the energy of the All much better in a forest, by a river, in a field than I can anywhere else. Also a couple of the deity that I have made a close connection with are heavily associated with nature.
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 12:55:42 pm »
I want to understand how different people see nature with respect to their practices and beliefs.

I don't talk about "nature" as I find the concept problematic. As you mentioned yourself, our modern view of 'nature' is post-Romantic and influenced by a Victorian 'nature vs. culture' dichotomy that I'm really not sure about. There are various ways of thinking about 'nature', but the concept is always socially constructed.

As a result, I try to think about the land, especially the land I live in (and I mean the surrounding area more than the entire country), rather than some vague notion of 'nature' that is rarely defined. I have a land- and place-based spirituality. I also consider myself an urban druid of sorts - the land I connect with most strongly is the city, and the life within it. Specifically, the signs and endurance of plant, animal and other wildlife in urban life, including on the margins of it.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 03:26:32 pm »
Quote from: ethelwulf;123381
That is what I think is interesting about the Romantic movement where there was a feeling  too much of a separation from nature in England's cities. It was this time were we see an interest in the revival of pagan ideas in the free masons and the literature of the time.

Nobody was reviving anything, though.  Romantics had a tendency to romanticize the past.  They saw things through a very modern cultural lens.  They weren't seeing the way things were.  They were idealizing the way they thought things were...or longed for them to have been.

Brina
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 03:26:54 pm by yewberry »

Lykeios Lysios

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Shamanism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/any (Fluid)
Natures relationship with different pagan religions
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 09:00:17 am »
Quote from: RandallS;123366

That's very true. Its why I'd be some crazy farmer on the outskirts of civilization running naked with my wife and children dancing ecstatically if I were suddenly transported back to about 200 B.C. and stranded there

Hail Dionysos! :D
"Man fears the darkness, and so he scrapes away at the edges of it with fire." - Rei Ayanami
"Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate." - Zhuangzi

ethelwulf

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 09:35:52 am »
Quote from: Lykeios Lysios;123636
That's very true. Its why I'd be some crazy farmer on the outskirts of civilization running naked with my wife and children dancing ecstatically if I were suddenly transported back to about 200 B.C. and stranded there

Hail Dionysos! :D

I cannot say much on Hellenistic paganism although I do remember some aspects that were associated with nature. Celtic paganism places its god with the earth. There are strong connections with animals including many references to shape-shifting and frequent symbols of animals with the gods. Particularly  strong connections are found with the mounds where the gods dwell, springs and rivers which can contain knowledge and have gods or spirits associated with them. The folklore if Celtic people also shows a strong connection with the land and nature including the importance of trees.

The idea of the difference in the degree of urbanization as a possible reason for this difference in the degree with which natures importance with a religion interesting. Anthropologic comparisons between people who are in more direct contact with nature with those who are more urbanized would support this idea. The religion of the Australian aborigines and of the North American Native Americans both show a strong connection to nature. Many writings of the English writers in the 1800s for instance reflected a feeling of superiority with civilization as the clear direction developing society would evolve with ideas of nature worship implied as inferior and primitive.

It is interesting that it was from Urban England that a return to paganism took shape as a legitimate religion with an earth-centered view of paganism. Not all people saw the movement away from having reverence for nature and the earth as a positive progression.

Materialist

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 02:22:09 pm »
Quote from: ethelwulf;130042

The idea of the difference in the degree of urbanization as a possible reason for this difference in the degree with which natures importance with a religion interesting.

I'll have to side with Naomi J on this that your use of "nature" is giving me problems. I find urban areas just as much "nature" as rural areas-they're different environments, is all. I don't see any difference between praying to a god of a woodland path and a god of an elevated train.

And even though I must buy my food from a store now that winter's come, through my contact with Oxfam America I know the impact buying fresh fruit out of season can have on a third world country, so I'm even more aware of the interconnectedness of "nature" now.

ethelwulf

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 02:29:29 am »
Quote from: Materialist;130169
I'll have to side with Naomi J on this that your use of "nature" is giving me problems. I find urban areas just as much "nature" as rural areas-they're different environments, is all. I don't see any difference between praying to a god of a woodland path and a god of an elevated train.

And even though I must buy my food from a store now that winter's come, through my contact with Oxfam America I know the impact buying fresh fruit out of season can have on a third world country, so I'm even more aware of the interconnectedness of "nature" now.

I can see your point but I was using nature in contrast with human endeavor which is of course still nature. There is probably a better term for this distinction but my point was that as societies became more urbanized the create more structures that isolate them from the rest of the natural world. I was suggesting that this may have an impact on the importance of nature in their religion thus nature meaning the world other than created by man played a more important role in Celtic religion than Greek or Roman for Instance. I personally also think that when some people become so separated form the rest of the natural world that nature can return as an important aspect of their beliefs.

Chabas

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2013, 06:50:49 am »
Quote from: ethelwulf;130249
I can see your point but I was using nature in contrast with human endeavor which is of course still nature. There is probably a better term for this distinction but my point was that as societies became more urbanized the create more structures that isolate them from the rest of the natural world. I was suggesting that this may have an impact on the importance of nature in their religion thus nature meaning the world other than created by man played a more important role in Celtic religion than Greek or Roman for Instance. I personally also think that when some people become so separated form the rest of the natural world that nature can return as an important aspect of their beliefs.

So where's the line then? Is a dog - a natural animal, crossbred and domesticated by humans - natural? How about farmland? Milk? If a city isn't natural... is an ant hill? a bird's nest?

Honestly, I can see where a lot of people seem to pretend that they're disconnected from the natural world, but we aren't, it's just pretend. And frankly, angsting about it like you're doing right now doesn't do anything but confirm the concept that separation from nature is something that is somehow meaningfully possible.

--Chabas

Tags: