collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: How to Introduce Myself?  (Read 1838 times)

Aiwelin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
How to Introduce Myself?
« on: September 25, 2013, 03:40:25 pm »
I'm currently involved in three pretty separate traditions: ADF Druidry, Heathenry, and Wicca.  I am a student in all of these traditions, and use each separately in my home practice to honor different spirits.

I recently attended Pagan Pride Day in a nearby city, and I had no idea how to simply describe what I do without being incredibly vague (Pagan) or sort-of-but-really-not-accurate-at-all (eclectic).  "I'm a Druid, a Heathen, and a Wiccan" is very accurate, but is not really simple enough for people to be like "oh, okay" and move on.

Should I just give up?  Is it impossible to simply describe my practice to other Pagans?
Devotee of Nerthus
Worshipper of Germanic Deities
Now blogging on Patheos Pagan!  Check out Heathen at Heart

In the Nebraska-Iowa area?  Come check out Prairie Shadow Protogrove, ADF!
Ár nDraíocht Féin
The Troth

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
Re: How to Introduce Myself?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 04:21:31 pm »
Quote from: Aiwelin;123094
I'm currently involved in three pretty separate traditions: ADF Druidry, Heathenry, and Wicca.  I am a student in all of these traditions, and use each separately in my home practice to honor different spirits.

I recently attended Pagan Pride Day in a nearby city, and I had no idea how to simply describe what I do without being incredibly vague (Pagan) or sort-of-but-really-not-accurate-at-all (eclectic).  "I'm a Druid, a Heathen, and a Wiccan" is very accurate, but is not really simple enough for people to be like "oh, okay" and move on.

Should I just give up?  Is it impossible to simply describe my practice to other Pagans?

I dunno, I find that using a multi-prong description is a great way to estimate how people would respond to knowing more about what you do. I used to introduce myself as a "heathen Buddhist" in Asatru circles, and I immediately knew who I was probably better off not talking to. ;)

If you feel like there's one that best sums up what you're doing, you could use that. "Norse-flavored druid," or something like that, though it doesn't also incorporate the Wiccan influence. Would you say all three are equal parts of what you do? How do you want other people to relate to you?
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Liadine (dragonflyeyes)

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 07:47:55 am »

I like what Jack said about basing it on how you want other people to relate to you - that's how I go about it.

If you're just mingling/getting to know people, saying that you're eclectic pagan but draw from three distinct paths is a little vague, but it also gives curious people a conversational starter if they want to go there/if you're willing to go into it a little more. If you're putting out feelers for other like-minded people to talk to, "I'm a Druid, a Heathen, and a Wiccan" might be a little cumbersome but it's also more likely to put you in contact with other people following those paths.

I think 'ten words or less' is about as simple as you can get for accurately describing more eclectic paths, and it's also good to remember that you're not in charge of how people respond. They're completely free to say "oh, okay" and move on - if someone described themselves to me like that, I'd either say "okay, cool" and mentally file them, or ask more questions if the situation was appropriate for that.
We owe it to each other to tell stories [Neil Gaiman]
night's a good herd [my religious tumblr]

Aiwelin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 09:38:01 am »
Quote from: Jack;123101
I dunno, I find that using a multi-prong description is a great way to estimate how people would respond to knowing more about what you do. I used to introduce myself as a "heathen Buddhist" in Asatru circles, and I immediately knew who I was probably better off not talking to. ;)

If you feel like there's one that best sums up what you're doing, you could use that. "Norse-flavored druid," or something like that, though it doesn't also incorporate the Wiccan influence. Would you say all three are equal parts of what you do? How do you want other people to relate to you?

Hmm, Heathenry and Druidry are pretty equal for me; though I do big rituals (not daily devotions) for the Heathen Deities in an ADF syle, so I suppose that's more Druid-y.  I mainly do my Wiccan work to participate in the local community and face-to-face learning, but I do honor the Lord and the Lady every two weeks or so as each Deity I honor has their 'day', and I have taught and occasionally do Wiccan ritual with my children, since I wanted them to have a paradigm that's easy to relate to the larger Pagan community with.

So perhaps Heathen Druid is the best descriptor, with a caveat that I'm also a student of Wicca?
Devotee of Nerthus

Ár nDraíocht Féin
The Troth

Aiwelin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 09:39:22 am »
Quote from: Liadine (dragonflyeyes);123221
I like what Jack said about basing it on how you want other people to relate to you - that's how I go about it.

If you're just mingling/getting to know people, saying that you're eclectic pagan but draw from three distinct paths is a little vague, but it also gives curious people a conversational starter if they want to go there/if you're willing to go into it a little more. If you're putting out feelers for other like-minded people to talk to, "I'm a Druid, a Heathen, and a Wiccan" might be a little cumbersome but it's also more likely to put you in contact with other people following those paths.

I think 'ten words or less' is about as simple as you can get for accurately describing more eclectic paths, and it's also good to remember that you're not in charge of how people respond. They're completely free to say "oh, okay" and move on - if someone described themselves to me like that, I'd either say "okay, cool" and mentally file them, or ask more questions if the situation was appropriate for that.

I like the idea of "ten words or less".  I'm not out to confuse people!  But I also want to have people to talk to, since that's the main reason I go to pan-Pagan gatherings; I don't want to scare anybody off :)
Devotee of Nerthus

Ár nDraíocht Féin
The Troth

Liadine (dragonflyeyes)

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 10:34:40 am »
Quote from: Aiwelin;123237
I like the idea of "ten words or less".  I'm not out to confuse people!  But I also want to have people to talk to, since that's the main reason I go to pan-Pagan gatherings; I don't want to scare anybody off :)

I think the only time you'd get into 'why are they telling me all this' territory is when you start to go really in-depth without prompting - just saying 'I'm x, y, and z' shouldn't be a problem for most people.

It's likely that a lot of people are there for the same reasons, so knowing things isn't likely to scare anyone :) Besides, if someone is scared off by a short description, they're probably not worth talking to.
We owe it to each other to tell stories [Neil Gaiman]
night's a good herd [my religious tumblr]

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
How to Introduce Myself?
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 11:07:58 am »
Quote from: Aiwelin;123234
So perhaps Heathen Druid is the best descriptor, with a caveat that I'm also a student of Wicca?

I think that "Heathen Druid" will serve you just fine in 90% of contexts, so that sounds great.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Aiwelin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 01:49:06 pm »
Quote from: Liadine (dragonflyeyes);123241
I think the only time you'd get into 'why are they telling me all this' territory is when you start to go really in-depth without prompting - just saying 'I'm x, y, and z' shouldn't be a problem for most people.

It's likely that a lot of people are there for the same reasons, so knowing things isn't likely to scare anyone :) Besides, if someone is scared off by a short description, they're probably not worth talking to.

Haha, you're probably right :)

Quote from: Jack;123243
I think that "Heathen Druid" will serve you just fine in 90% of contexts, so that sounds great.

Thank you Jack!
Devotee of Nerthus

Ár nDraíocht Féin
The Troth

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 08:33:58 pm »

Welcome. :)

Tags: