collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Elementals  (Read 1877 times)

Aspiria

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Elementals
« on: September 06, 2013, 04:17:29 pm »
Howdy. I was wondering if y'all could give me some information on Elementals. Any information. I've always been fascinated by them. I'd like some good books but also some websites that are trustworthy (books are expensive atm). I would like information like how to contact them, have you had experiences with them, is it a "real" experience as in you physically saw or heard them as opposed to deity contact where you get... Feelings, Ummm I don't know how to explain what I mean. Do they like offerings, do they help you, what do you offer them if they help you, what kind of help do they give? How can I make them happy, feel welcome, part of the family, etc. And is all that even safe?

Thanks everyone!

luc798

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Elementals
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 05:53:24 am »
Quote from: Aspiria;121066
Howdy. I was wondering if y'all could give me some information on Elementals. Any information. I've always been fascinated by them. I'd like some good books but also some websites that are trustworthy (books are expensive atm). I would like information like how to contact them, have you had experiences with them, is it a "real" experience as in you physically saw or heard them as opposed to deity contact where you get... Feelings, Ummm I don't know how to explain what I mean. Do they like offerings, do they help you, what do you offer them if they help you, what kind of help do they give? How can I make them happy, feel welcome, part of the family, etc. And is all that even safe?

Thanks everyone!

Hello! I posted a very similar thread in... some forum (there are many I don't remember where, one of the beginners forums) I am also interested in these creatures... but like you, I don't know if it is even safe. For some reason, I don't feel any threat of any sorts when trying to approach them. But I don't have any first hand experience.

Ps. I talk about "elementals" as in -elemental nature creatures, not as -human will created entities

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 08:04:39 am »
Howdy. I was wondering if y'all could give me some information on Elementals.

Most of my dealings with elementals have been through ceremonial magic and the main thing I've gotten from such contacts has been "alienness" -- true elementals are very alien to humans. Those in "humanoid form" (e.g. undines, sylphs, etc.) are less alien -- and can be more helpful.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Aspiria

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Elementals
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 06:10:29 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;121103
Most of my dealings with elementals have been through ceremonial magic and the main thing I've gotten from such contacts has been "alienness" -- true elementals are very alien to humans. Those in "humanoid form" (e.g. undines, sylphs, etc.) are less alien -- and can be more helpful.

Thanks. Do you know any reputable websites to get info?

Aspiria

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Elementals
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 06:12:50 pm »
Quote from: sally_neuf;121098
Hello! I posted a very similar thread in... some forum (there are many I don't remember where, one of the beginners forums) I am also interested in these creatures... but like you, I don't know if it is even safe. For some reason, I don't feel any threat of any sorts when trying to approach them. But I don't have any first hand experience.

Ps. I talk about "elementals" as in -elemental nature creatures, not as -human will created entities

I am also talking of the same type. Sylphs, Undines, etc. Are nymphs considered elementals or something else? I have a fascination with nymphs.

Once I posted some pics of the fire in my fireplace and you could see figures. It was pretty awesome. They were beautiful. But I don't know how to communicate with them.

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 09:44:23 am »

Thanks everyone!

There's a book called Practical Elemental Magick by Sorita d'Este&David Rankine that might be helpful(it was recently offered as a free Kindle download)

There are different cultural views of certain entities that can qualify as 'elementals,' but the specific sylphs, undines, salamanders, gnomes, e.t.c. started with Paracelcus during that whole Renaissance/occult revival in western esotericism, therefore they're commonly used in western magic(k)al systems.
Semper Fidelis

Fionnbharr

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 05:03:59 pm »
Quote from: Aspiria;121129
I am also talking of the same type. Sylphs, Undines, etc. Are nymphs considered elementals or something else? I have a fascination with nymphs.

I think they are considered Goddesses of some sort. Thetis the mother of Achilles is described as both a Goddess and a sea Nymph. http://www.theoi.com/Cat_Nymphai.html
Grief and sorrow grows on the far banks of the river Styx, go there and visit them and you might not find your own way back home. - Achilles

luc798

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 02:54:10 am »
Quote from: Fionnbharr;121207
I think they are considered Goddesses of some sort. Thetis the mother of Achilles is described as both a Goddess and a sea Nymph. http://www.theoi.com/Cat_Nymphai.html

Aha, this is very interesting. I didn't know this, and after all, gnomes as creatures and rulers of caves and mines is a tradition that goes older than the "elemental" definition, so maybe that association of every element with an already traditional and existing creature came later after all. Ok, I'll continue reading now!

Fionnbharr

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 11:32:20 am »
Quote from: sally_neuf;121378
Aha, this is very interesting. I didn't know this, and after all, gnomes as creatures and rulers of caves and mines is a tradition that goes older than the "elemental" definition, so maybe that association of every element with an already traditional and existing creature came later after all. Ok, I'll continue reading now!

That seem to be a very valid point.
Grief and sorrow grows on the far banks of the river Styx, go there and visit them and you might not find your own way back home. - Achilles

Tags:

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 326
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal