collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Questions about demons or something  (Read 5174 times)

Aspiria

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Questions about demons or something
« on: September 03, 2013, 09:59:15 pm »
So... I've wondered this for a while now. I watched the movie The Conjuring. It was, of course, about demon possession. It is supposedly based on a true story although I have not verified this yet.
So as with all demon possessions that are televised, they call for it to be approved by the Vatican and whatnot. So like all exorcisms the priest reads from the Bible, saying in the name of God, throwing holy water and waving a cross. Demon possessed person talks in demon voice and says and does awful and weird things but then they scream as the priest keeps talking then disappear.
So if demons are a "Christian thing" is that why the priest and Bible words exorcise it? Would praying to a pagan Deity work too? If not, why? Why would only an abrahamic religion work to exorcise the demon? (I said that in my Ace Ventura voice) also I heard that demons are (can't remember the word now. I'm sorry I'm sick and fuzzy headed) but it means they never walked the earth in any form as a human. They're not of this "earth" I guess?
I ask because I'm terrified of demon possession since it apparently happens to believers and non believers alike. I'm not a Christian so would I be "unsavable" because of this? I mean would a demon say "eh the Morrighan will kick my ass if I touch that one" or "Set would rip my head off" etc you get the point. I have a need to know this so I know whether or not my paranoia is founded. If all of this is untrue then where do the counts of possession come from? They do. Strange inhuman things and speak dead languages. So how would this happen if it's not real?

I have yet another sinus infection and I'm in a fishbowl so if anything is unclear or whatever I'm sorry and please let me know. Thanks everyone.

Aspiria

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 10:02:37 pm »
Quote from: Aspiria;120796
So... .

Oh, and if they're not "demons" then what are they and how can I avoid them.

Gilbride

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about demons or something
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 07:26:18 am »
Quote from: Aspiria;120798
Oh, and if they're not "demons" then what are they and how can I avoid them.

Let's say that hostile spirits exist and you can actually get possessed by them- why are you so worried about it? If it happens at all it certainly doesn't happen all the time! It's something you really, really don't need to worry about. But, just so you know, exorcism rituals are not limited to Christianity. They can be found in many different religions.

Aspiria

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 08:14:02 am »
Quote from: Gilbride;120818
Let's say that hostile spirits exist and you can actually get possessed by them- why are you so worried about it? If it happens at all it certainly doesn't happen all the time! It's something you really, really don't need to worry about. But, just so you know, exorcism rituals are not limited to Christianity. They can be found in many different religions.

I'm not sure if I can answer that because I just don't know. I used to watch these types of movies all the time (paranormal 1 &  2)but then I had a... "visit" from an entity that lasted weeks. He didn't do anything threatening to me (my ex boyfriend claimed a hand came in the shower when the house was empty idk) but I felt like it was not good, it terrified me. I always slept by the edge because that's where the play pen was for my baby. My boyfriend slept by the wall. I felt like I was in the way. I would never open my eyes. I could feel terror constantly trying to make its way out of my throat, I wanted to scream but my kids would be there. The feeling of having pressure on all sides was awful and constrictive. At first I thought I'm having panic attacks. Then my bf said "oh yeah? You too?" then one night all the kids were gone and there was rustling in her bed. Stuff sliding across the floor that there was no way a fan could do it. Like game consoles and stuff.
For some reason one night, I wasn't "pagan" at this point, the thought of imagining a purple and white neon circle around each individual person came in my head. I made the circles spin until the formed a cone and said a little prayer. The first time I immediately felt calmer. I was always the last one to get a circle. But it felt like I could finally breathe in my room (which I avoided until bedtime but I refused to go in alone and my boyfriend purposely shut me in there during an Argument once, the ass).

Anyways we moved not too long after. Oh and Btw without us saying anything our kids told us the house was haunted. I don't know what they saw or heard but it scared me enough we moved. I knew how bad it scared me and I didn't want my kids feeling that. For some reason I honestly think it wanted my boyfriend and I was just in the way.

The point to this flash back is that since then I have not been able to watch paranormal movies. Even the fake ones like paranormal that I loved and thought were hilarious. I haven't watched the last two. My husband talked me into the Conjuring.

I think what scares me most is seeing how those people act, supposedly real, trying to kill their kids and their family. I get scared thinking I could ever do that to my kids. And if it did happen, how would they ever feel love for me again? The person who is supposed to love you the most and protect you is now try going to kill you?

I'm also worried because I've heard... Somewhere, that certain emotions? Energy? Can actually store up (not sure of right way to say that) and develop it's own consciousness. If this is true, then I would think that consciousness would manifest with the intent of whatever type of energy caused it. Anger, hatred, selfishness = bad consciousness or love, happiness =good consciousness. Maybr I'm completely wrong about that. But if I'm right then wouldn't it also create havoc on the ones who "created"  it even if it was unintended?

(sorry this site so long)

Would something like that be able to possess someone? Or just make things worse?

There's a lot of hatefullness, selfishness, anger, and stuff at my house. I have seven kids full time, 3 of which have issues because of their mom's recent (few years) choices. Then it was brought to my house. Added to what was already chaos here. My kids also have anger issues, partly the divorce, which was awful. But their dad has a temper and in the last year my temper has greatly increased, even more so since I have all seven full time (thank the gods for school) even my two year old has an unbelievable temper.

I'm feeling very worn thin, I feel like m not in control anymore. I can't leave my husband because I would be left with no income and I can't work. I'm currently filing for disability. My father in law lives with us and helps me greatly but he can't work either. Hopefully his disability is approved in Jan at court.  My husband doesn't appreciate anything I do. In fact he told me just a week ago that taking care of the house, the yard, the kids, running errands, paying bills, and going to school was NOT a REAL job and therefore I was not entitled to complain about anything. Even though he absolutely knows that he couldn't handle my "non job" for even a day. He idea of taking care of the kids is to lock hi. Self in our room and open the door occasionally to yell.

Sorry that turned into confessional, lol. Point is there's alot of super negative emotions around here. My husband knows my religious choices but my father in law and kids don't. Around here in this area, it could cause problems. So anything I ever do has to be "hidden" which is a downer for me. I can't even say "omgs" to the wrong person.

To me this seems like the perfect opportunity for something bad to slip in and get in my business. So I don't know what to do. I'm  not sure if this paranoia is because of the entity experience or if it came on its own.

And thinking about that. He would I know if something isn't here already and adding to the turmoil? Making it worse?

And OMFGS I didn't mean for this type be a book. I'm so sorry.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 08:15:26 am »
So if demons are a "Christian thing" is that why the priest and Bible words exorcise it? Would praying to a pagan Deity work too?

Exorcisms in Pagan religions often are a bit more active than just praying to a deity (or deities), but yes, other religions (and non-religious magical systems for that matter) can exorcise demons and other hostile spirits.

I ask because I'm terrified of demon possession since it apparently happens to believers and non believers alike.
So does getting hit by lightning. And unless you are doing something like unprotected channeling of random spirits, your chance of being possesses is probably less than you chance of being hit by lightning out of the clear sky -- in other words, not a zero chance, but fairly close to a zero chance.

Other than remembering to not take silly chances like channeling any random spirit you encounter with proper protection (just like you shouldn't stand outside where you are the highest point around during a thunderstorm), you really don't need to worry much about being possessed any more than you need to worry much about being hit by lightning.

If all of this is untrue then where do the counts of possession come from? They do. Strange inhuman things and speak dead languages. So how would this happen if it's not real?
A lot of things can be mistaken for demon possession, including mental illness, high fever, drug interactions, etc. This is one of the reasons the Catholic Church has a careful investigative procedure before they authorize an exorcism.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Aspiria

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 08:30:25 am »
Quote from: RandallS;120821
Exorcisms in Pagan religions often are a bit more active than just praying to a deity (or deities), but yes, other religions (and non-religious magical systems for that matter) can exorcise demons and other hostile spirits.

So does getting hit by lightning. And unless you are doing something like unprotected channeling of random spirits, your chance of being possesses is probably less than you chance of being hit by lightning out of the clear sky -- in other words, not a zero chance, but fairly close to a zero chance.

Other than remembering to not take silly chances like channeling any random spirit you encounter with proper protection (just like you shouldn't stand outside where you are the highest point around during a thunderstorm), you really don't need to worry much about being possessed any more than you need to worry much about being hit by lightning.

A lot of things can be mistaken for demon possession, including mental illness, high fever, drug interactions, etc. This is one of the reasons the Catholic Church has a careful investigative procedure before they authorize an exorcism.

Thank you! I feel better. I guess I should have asked a long time ago.

Was I right about the consciousness thing or did I have that skewed?

Aspiria

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 08:32:52 am »
Quote from: RandallS;120821

Is this the case with the supposedly "real" demon possessions for the Exorcist and the Conjuring? What is your take on those?

Gilbride

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 08:51:38 am »
Quote from: Aspiria;120820
I get scared thinking I could ever do that to my kids.

I have just two small kids to take care of on my own most of the time, and that is often overwhelming. So of course you have a lot of negative emotions to deal with, considering your much more complicated situation.

But your current problems aren't supernatural (despite past experiences with random negative entities). I'm not a professional, but you should be aware that there are psychological conditions that can cause exactly the kind of anxieties you're having. I think you really need more support than you're getting, but on top of that I think you should probably talk to a professional counselor if you can.

axismundi

• Sr. Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 09:15:21 am »
So... I've wondered this for a while now. I watched the movie The Conjuring. It was, of course, about demon possession. It is supposedly based on a true story although I have not verified this yet.
So as with all demon possessions that are televised, they call for it to be approved by the Vatican and whatnot. So like all exorcisms the priest reads from the Bible, saying in the name of God, throwing holy water and waving a cross. Demon possessed person talks in demon voice and says and does awful and weird things but then they scream as the priest keeps talking then disappear.
So if demons are a "Christian thing" is that why the priest and Bible words exorcise it? Would praying to a pagan Deity work too? If not, why? Why would only an abrahamic religion work to exorcise the demon? (I said that in my Ace Ventura voice) also I heard that demons are (can't remember the word now. I'm sorry I'm sick and fuzzy headed) but it means they never walked the earth in any form as a human. They're not of this "earth" I guess?
I ask because I'm terrified of demon possession since it apparently happens to believers and non believers alike. I'm not a Christian so would I be "unsavable" because of this? I mean would a demon say "eh the Morrighan will kick my ass if I touch that one" or "Set would rip my head off" etc you get the point. I have a need to know this so I know whether or not my paranoia is founded. If all of this is untrue then where do the counts of possession come from? They do. Strange inhuman things and speak dead languages. So how would this happen if it's not real?

I have yet another sinus infection and I'm in a fishbowl so if anything is unclear or whatever I'm sorry and please let me know. Thanks everyone.

With so many children around you Demonic activity is unlikely because the children have automatic protection.

These kinds of problems can occur when a child stars puberty but generally only if they have suffered some kind abuse.  You have not indicated that any of the children have suffered such.  In psychology multiple personality disorder is linked to such abuse.  Also the focus (the previously abused child if such has occurred) must be isolated but although all the children contend with each other they will usually also be present when one has genuine need.  The situation you are in whilst undoubtedly fraught is not one that encourages Demonic activity.

The prayer of St Michael is used by some pagans it is very effective:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prayer_to_Saint_Michael

Aspiria

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 09:22:42 am »
Quote from: Gilbride;120825
I have just two small kids to take care of on my own most of the time, and that is often overwhelming. So of course you have a lot of negative emotions to deal with, considering your much more complicated situation.

But your current problems aren't supernatural (despite past experiences with random negative entities). I'm not a professional, but you should be aware that there are psychological conditions that can cause exactly the kind of anxieties you're having. I think you really need more support than you're getting, but on top of that I think you should probably talk to a professional counselor if you can.

I agree. I just have to be careful. A regular dr put me on Prozac because he said my stress and anxiety needed to be controlled before I had a breakdown. But it pissed off my pain dr cuz he said the Prozac isn't the best combo with my fibro myalgia medicine and the ambien could kill me. Eh.

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 11:49:14 am »
Quote from: axismundi;120827
With so many children around you Demonic activity is unlikely because the children have automatic protection.

These kinds of problems can occur when a child stars puberty but generally only if they have suffered some kind abuse.  You have not indicated that any of the children have suffered such.  In psychology multiple personality disorder is linked to such abuse.  Also the focus (the previously abused child if such has occurred) must be isolated but although all the children contend with each other they will usually also be present when one has genuine need.  The situation you are in whilst undoubtedly fraught is not one that encourages Demonic activity.

The prayer of St Michael is used by some pagans it is very effective:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prayer_to_Saint_Michael

So, what are your sources for this? Why do children have automatic immunity to being demonically possessed? Why is puberty a trigger for them becoming possessed? Is this possibly linked to the time where kids start becoming sexual, and sexual stuff is viewed as being sinful in Christianity?
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

beachglass

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 12:25:10 pm »
Quote from: Aspiria;120820
... the thought of imagining a purple and white neon circle around each individual person came in my head. I made the circles spin until the formed a cone and said a little prayer. The first time I immediately felt calmer. I was always the last one to get a circle.

Not having all the intimate details of your situation, I might be off base here, but I was struck by your comment about being the last one to get a circle. It reminded me of the airplane safety lecture - adjust your own oxygen mask before assisting others.

There's a lot of cultural pressure for women to be caretakers and to be giving of themselves. But it's important to make sure you have enough energy left over to care for yourself, too.

Apologies if that was assuming too much and/or not relevant to you or your question.  It was just something that stuck out at me.
"The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."  ~ Robert Smith

Aspiria

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 03:02:41 pm »
Quote from: beachglass;120843
Not having all the intimate details of your situation, I might be off base here, but I was struck by your comment about being the last one to get a circle. It reminded me of the airplane safety lecture - adjust your own oxygen mask before assisting others.

There's a lot of cultural pressure for women to be caretakers and to be giving of themselves. But it's important to make sure you have enough energy left over to care for yourself, too.

Apologies if that was assuming too much and/or not relevant to you or your question.  It was just something that stuck out at me.

No its fine lol. I think I did it because I didn't any part of "me" (like my mind) outside my circle once I made it. Like it would break it or something. I don't even know why I thought of all this in the first place. Later I was told by someone else that I was probably guided.? I don't know.

Viv

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 04:03:40 pm »
Quote from: Aspiria;120828
I agree. I just have to be careful. A regular dr put me on Prozac because he said my stress and anxiety needed to be controlled before I had a breakdown. But it pissed off my pain dr cuz he said the Prozac isn't the best combo with my fibro myalgia medicine and the ambien could kill me. Eh.

I am of no help on the demon front but speaking as someone with fibro, anxiety, and depression...please don't give up on finding a combination of meds that will work for you. With all your responsibilities and the stress you are under, you need to be able to function daily and get a good nights rest. It took a while for my doctors to find the right combo but now I am in a very good place health-wise and my life is much improved because of it.

Anyway, that is my 2 cents on the fibro/anxiety issue. (((Hugs))) for you. Sending positive vibes your direction.

--Kay :)
"As every cat lover knows, nobody owns a cat." ~Ellen Perry Berkeley

AKA: windshadow; hesperia

axismundi

• Sr. Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 05:21:26 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;120838
So, what are your sources for this? Why do children have automatic immunity to being demonically possessed? Why is puberty a trigger for them becoming possessed? Is this possibly linked to the time where kids start becoming sexual, and sexual stuff is viewed as being sinful in Christianity?

Gosh you have found me out.

I am not a Thelemite Ritual Magician at all.  You have cleverly pierced my true guise of giving occult information in which I subtly suggest sex-negative Christian paradigms that will hopefully tie in with Childhood Christianized sex negative memories of those on this forum.  What am I to do now you have discovered my cunning ploy?

Tags: