collapse

Author Topic: Deities in the Media?  (Read 3612 times)

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Deities in the Media?
« on: September 01, 2013, 10:32:41 pm »
Over the years there have been quite a few movies, comics and video games featuring pagan deities as characters. Often they are not really depicted as they are in myth and lore.

I am curious as to the general thoughts people have on this. Do you find it offensive? amusing? Do you think that its great because it keeps their names out there and may inspire someone to do some research or do you think its a disgraceful appropriation?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 08:23:07 am by RandallS »
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Deities in the media.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 10:49:25 pm »
Quote from: Fireof9;120631
Over the years there have been quite a few movies, comics and video games featuring pagan deities as characters. Often they are not really depicted as they are in myth and lore.

I am curious as to the general thoughts people have on this. Do you find it offensive? amusing? Do you think that its great because it keeps their names out there and may inspire someone to do some research or do you think its a disgraceful appropriation?

Indifferent.

If a deity is offended by a portrayal of them in a piece of fiction, it's really none of my business.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 10:56:12 pm »

In general, I'm not bothered by this. I saw it all the time, being a superhero comic book fan/writer-editor; Marvel mined many a mythos, particularly the northern European pantheon for it's THOR comics. I see it as inspired by the real myth but other than that having no connection to it.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 11:07:26 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;120632
Indifferent.

If a deity is offended by a portrayal of them in a piece of fiction, it's really none of my business.

I agree, if a deity is offended thats up to them.

Just after reading through the thread about fictional deity, I was curious about how people feel about their deities being presented in a pseudo fictional way.
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 11:14:45 pm »
Quote from: Altair;120633
In general, I'm not bothered by this. I saw it all the time, being a superhero comic book fan/writer-editor; Marvel mined many a mythos, particularly the northern European pantheon for it's THOR comics. I see it as inspired by the real myth but other than that having no connection to it.

The Thor comics certainly comes to mind real fast, in fact the first thing I thought of when starting this thread. I remember a couple of years ago a guy I worked with had been told that I am into Nordic mythology and came up to me and started talking to me about it. After about 3 minutes I realized that his entire knowledge base had been gleaned from Marvel LOL. He really thought that Marvels version was the exact mythology. I groaned a bit inwardly but it ended up being a great conversation and I directed him to the Edda's to gain a bit more knowledge.
-HeartShadow

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 01:32:55 am »

There are some like Supernatural that I find a little... distasteful, I guess, but that's my personal taste. 99% of the time I like stuff like that. (Of course, I've written Matantei Loki Ragnarok fanfic, so YMMV.)
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Fionnbharr

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 02:05:51 am »

Is it not all some sort of fiction all containing pieces of truth, old or new? The times I have interacted with Baldr in this lifetime he was in Asgard and not Hel...
Grief and sorrow grows on the far banks of the river Styx, go there and visit them and you might not find your own way back home. - Achilles

Solstice

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 02:51:53 am »
Quote from: Jack;120639
There are some like Supernatural that I find a little... distasteful, I guess, but that's my personal taste. 99% of the time I like stuff like that. (Of course, I've written Matantei Loki Ragnarok fanfic, so YMMV.)

Ahaha, yessss, Mantantei Loki Ragnarok. I've only ever seen the anime, but even though it was pretty silly in places, I can't say anything bad about it because it got me into Norse Mythology in the first place. Because of that show, I did my own research and learned a lot about the mythos in general. Then, I rekindled my interest in the mythology when the Thor movie came out, and became even more well-versed in the know-how. So, even though I roll my eyes at the people who claim to be really into Norse Mythology yet only have knowledge from the Marvel films, I can't really complain too much because my knowledge also came from popular media. And hey, if it's sparking peoples' interest in the old myths and legends and garnering attention to the deities themselves, I'd say that's a good thing. Really, the only thing that annoys me is when so-called reputable sources get the stories wrong in the first place, and one such annoyance for me (in Norse Mythology, anyhow), is the Odin-Thor-Loki relationship. It makes me go "gah" when peeps are all matter-of-fact when saying that Thor and Loki are bros, and since I do enjoy roleplaying Norse Mythology, it can get a little infuriating when your fellow mythology roleplayer wants to do it the way popular media dictates and wants you to play the gods a certain way. I guess that's why it kinda rubs on my bad side. I'm usually willing to take liberties in all other aspects, but those few things just grind my gears.

Lawl, sorry this entire tangent was just about one pantheon. XD

Yei

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Mexica Reconstructionism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 07:15:49 am »

Mesoamerican gods don't appear in the media very often. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not though.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 08:11:23 am »

I nearly forgot--I did a post recently in my Blog of Mythic Proportions about the latest Percy Jackson movie, a series that uses Greek myth as its springboard, and how mythic it is or isn't. Which is certainly relevant to the topic at hand.

http://www.cfcooper.net/myth-thats-only-skin-deep
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Deities in the Media?
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 08:30:52 am »

In general, I'm indifferent. However, if a book, film, or whatever somehow presents itself as being based on facts, I get annoyed when the deity parts seem to be the exception.

I'm motre likely to get annoyed at stereotypical depictions of religious practice and believers. The way religion is treated by many Hollywood films, for example.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Sunshine

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Deities in the Media?
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 09:59:53 am »
Do you find it offensive? amusing? Do you think that its great because it keeps their names out there and may inspire someone to do some research or do you think its a disgraceful appropriation?

This is actually something that's been on my mind lately too, and I've come to the conclusion that I'm horribly inconsistent, because I feel like there are "good ways" to incorporate gods into fiction, and then ways that make me want to cringe with how disrespectful and awful they seem. I'm not sure whether I'm offended on behalf of deities or their followers, but a couple of popular culture concepts make me feel kind of uncomfortable. (Though they never did before I was a practicing pagan.)

I'll avoid getting up in arms about the ones that weird me out, but I'll give a couple of examples of great incorporation of deity into fiction: Neil Gaiman's American Gods and Kelly Link's short story "Flying Lessons" are powerful, resonant, respectful and thought-provoking (imo.) There are probably loads more out there but I'm a little sleep-deprived at present so I'm going for the easy ones that spring to mind first.

I think it may be a matter of perspective: are we reading into the characters as pop culture icons, or as deities? Although I haven't put it to the test, it might be that I can find them fine and enjoyable as (archetypal?) characters. And it might be that the skill with which they're characterized has a lot to do with it.

anonymus

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 10:25:44 am »
Quote from: Altair;120633

You know I bet having the characters explore the full ramifications of the Norse gods being real would make for a much drama instead of having there characters kill each other off every year in event comics.
Sorry if I went on tangent.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
Deities in the Media?
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 11:16:57 am »
Quote from: anonymus;120655
You know I bet having the characters explore the full ramifications of the Norse gods being real would make for a much drama instead of having there characters kill each other off every year in event comics.
Sorry if I went on tangent.

Keep in mind that Thor gets all the press, but Hercules and Satan's son Damian have also had comic books from Marvel. Pretty much every pantheon is treated as real somewhere, for better or worse, and also as aliens or supernatural beings that were treated as gods "in the past". So the ramifications of Thor being real are a bit... underplayed? I'm not sure if that's the word I want.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 11:32:21 am »
Quote from: Jack;120639

I am with you on Supernatural... but then I really just don't like the show much.
-HeartShadow

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

Tags: