collapse

Author Topic: Modern applications of seasonal festivals  (Read 1798 times)

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Modern applications of seasonal festivals
« on: August 29, 2013, 09:52:30 am »
I've been thinking for a while about having part of my seasonal observances be tied to modern-stuff-that's-useful.

For example, my birthday falls at the fall equinox, and that would be a *very* sensible time for me to decide, say, to check all of my online profiles and make sure they're current and saying useful things.

Likewise, at Samhain, it would be a good time for me to review the 'what happens if I die' stuff (will, disposition of intellectual property rights, who to tell online if something happens to me, etc.)

Those are things that fit into the cycle of the year, either fairly generally (the Samhain bit) or in an obvious personal way (the fact my birthday falls on the equinox makes the timing a bit simpler.)

But I'm contemplating spreading things out a bit more, too, and I'm curious if anyone does anything like this, has thought of doing anything like, has ideas for useful things along those lines, etc. (I also note I'm working on an 8 Sabbat model, but I'm more interested in 'stuff and reason for particular association' than where it ends up falling on the calendar, because some of this is going to  be fairly arbitrary.)

Other things I've considered:
- reshelving my books in the right places.
- prepping my closet for seasonal changes (which is hard to do precisely, hello, New England, where we have very clear seasons, but when they feel like they've changed can vary by 6 weeks.)
- reviewing online privacy settings and related things like that (which I do as an ongoing thing, but where stuff can change without my realising it, or there's more nuanced options than there used to be, etc.)
- cleaning out my hardrive/online bookmarks/etc. for better usability.
- cleaning out iTunes and my accumulated music and making it easier to sort.
- ditto on the ebooks.
- reviewing my long-term financial planning (retirement, etc. which is mostly automated, but it's nice to look at it.)

Some of these things are a once a year thing. Some of them are a twice a year thing. Some of them are a 'do more than that' (links!) but looking at them closely at least once a year is probably smart.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Modern applications of seasonal festivals
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 11:37:33 am »
Quote from: Jenett;120404
I've been thinking for a while about having part of my seasonal observances be tied to modern-stuff-that's-useful.... and I'm curious if anyone does anything like this, has thought of doing anything like, has ideas for useful things along those lines, etc. (I also note I'm working on an 8 Sabbat model, but I'm more interested in 'stuff and reason for particular association' than where it ends up falling on the calendar, because some of this is going to  be fairly arbitrary.)

I think this is a great idea. I've toyed with it myself, without actually putting it into practice.

My suggestion would be to avoid computer stuff (eg, cleaning out the hard drive) and stick to something that's physically manifested (such as your "rearranging the books" idea). It's just a gut instinct, but something tells me that having to physically perform a task--and having the results physically manifested around you thereafter--somehow "seals the deal" with your unconscious mind, in terms of linking it to the holiday. I guess it's a similar principal to the symbolic acts of ritual and magic.

I've never really found a good way to observe the equinoxes, but I'm thinking that a spring cleaning--scrubbing and polishing up everything for the vernal equinox--might serve nicely as you've described. And a "clear away the metaphorical dead leaves" culling of accumulated crap (I'm a packrat) for the autumnal equinox would be very useful.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 11:37:54 am by Altair »
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 12:05:44 pm »
Quote from: Altair;120407

My suggestion would be to avoid computer stuff (eg, cleaning out the hard drive) and stick to something that's physically manifested (such as your "rearranging the books" idea). It's just a gut instinct, but something tells me that having to physically perform a task--and having the results physically manifested around you thereafter--somehow "seals the deal" with your unconscious mind, in terms of linking it to the holiday. I guess it's a similar principal to the symbolic acts of ritual and magic.

I thought about the computer part a good bit - but the reality of my life is that an awful lot of my daily experience of the world *does* involve the computer and a) I notice when it is untidy and b) having it be part of my spiritual life - um. It is, so including seasonal stuff there makes as much sense as anything else.

I do think that each point should have something that's also more physical, but there's definitely points where most of it's going to be computer and very little physical. (Will and related stuff, f'ex, is going to be 95% "do stuff on the computer to update" and 5% "print and deal with appropriate legal requirements and stick in known storage.")

Likewise the online bio part is a thing I'm bad at updating, but need to - but my birthday is also clearly a good time to do it, because it's a) age change, in places where that isn't automated plus b) start of the school year/my work year, so a good time to do updates there.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 12:38:11 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;120411
I thought about the computer part a good bit - but the reality of my life is that an awful lot of my daily experience of the world *does* involve the computer and a) I notice when it is untidy and b) having it be part of my spiritual life - um. It is, so including seasonal stuff there makes as much sense as anything else.

It sounds like computer work is the right choice for you, then; whatever works for each person. I shouldn't overgeneralize my own desire to manifest thoughtforms through symbolic physical acts.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 06:38:26 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;120411

Same here. My computer is a large part of my life. Most of my work and much of my "play" (like TC, which counts as "play" as it isn't work) is centered on my computer. So it would make sense to incorporate it into such practices. For people for whom a computer is something they use a few hours a week to check email, Facebook and the like, I could see it not having such a central place in such seasonal rituals.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

drekfletch

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheist. Hellenic-ish
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 11:12:08 pm »
I've been thinking for a while about having part of my seasonal observances be tied to modern-stuff-that's-useful.

When I was putting together a year-calendar (which I ended up never really using) I had a day/moment/note to thank Hephaistos in the month of my birthday, because I have to register my car (chariot/mechanical horse).

Hermes had a special place as He of the Marketplace on Memorial and Labor Day weekends, because they are the open and close of the "tourist season" when my town is busiest (population goes from 6k to 26k in the summer.)

I was thinking something for Athena to mark the beginning and end of the school years, as the school year affects a good portion of the town, between students, parents, school employees, co-workers of students.

Going from the Holidays into winter proper, I usually re-check my finances in preparation of the coming belt-tightening.

Further brainstorming: Something with house wards when/if you sign a yearly lease.  Yard Sales?  Yard work: leaf raking, tree pruning, bed turning.  Do you have dogs to register?  Fish and Game licenses to get (fishing/hunting)?
There is no inherent meaning to life.  Stop looking and give your life meaning.
------------------------------------------
Chapter 91 of The Order War by L.E.Modesitt jr.  If I could quote the entire thing I would.

drekfletch

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheist. Hellenic-ish
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 01:06:28 pm »
has ideas for useful things along those lines, etc.

Updating contact lists, address books, blogrolls, etc.  Don't have an Wheel of the Year correlation really; are there any holidays where you send people off on trips (to read other blogs), or exchange letters/cards?
There is no inherent meaning to life.  Stop looking and give your life meaning.
------------------------------------------
Chapter 91 of The Order War by L.E.Modesitt jr.  If I could quote the entire thing I would.

Tags: