Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Runes: Making vs Buying  (Read 1725 times)

Carla

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Runes: Making vs Buying
« on: August 25, 2013, 10:57:30 am »
I am reading up on using runes on the fabulous website previously mentioned someone on the board (I am sorry but I can't remember who posted it). I was wondering whether buying runes in person or online would be better.
I have found posts regarding buying various tools (cards, stones, pendulums, etc.) where it was recommended to hold the object in your hand and see if it speaks to you in some way. I definitely get this, especially for divination tools since their use is so personal. I don't know where to find runes in person, though, and don't even know what keywords to use in searching for a local store that may carry them.
I found this http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/runeset.html on making runes on the site I have been reading. Has anyone made runes this way?

Oíche

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Irish Polytheism/Druidry/Initiatory Witchcraft
Re: Runes: Making vs Buying
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 07:44:44 pm »
Quote from: Carla;119929
I am reading up on using runes on the fabulous website previously mentioned someone on the board (I am sorry but I can't remember who posted it). I was wondering whether buying runes in person or online would be better.
I have found posts regarding buying various tools (cards, stones, pendulums, etc.) where it was recommended to hold the object in your hand and see if it speaks to you in some way. I definitely get this, especially for divination tools since their use is so personal. I don't know where to find runes in person, though, and don't even know what keywords to use in searching for a local store that may carry them.
I found this http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/runeset.html on making runes on the site I have been reading. Has anyone made runes this way?

If I was buying some I'd rather do it in person however I'd suggest making your own instead :)
I made mine from some beach stones I painted and they work very well and I like the fact that I gathered the stones from somewhere that means a lot to me and that I made them :)
You could also try etsy :)
'You're my friend, and I love you- but you really look like a witch!!'

Riothamus12

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: The Nameless Path
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 09:18:42 pm »

Well if you know the proper methods, know how to carve them, and have the materials and time go ahead and make them yourself. They might resonate better with you. However, nothing bad ever came of buying runes from someone else or receiving them from another.As far as the method described goes, it seems very solid if not a little time consuming. If I had the materials and skill with materials I would probably attempt it myself.
https://inthespiritofconversation.wordpress.com/
I started a blog. Feel free to peruse. It's still in it's early stages and I have to write more, so do bare with me if it's all a little basic so far.

fjfritz

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://divineguidewithin.com/
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 09:35:49 pm »
I was wondering whether buying runes in person or online would be better.

If you are going to buy the runes and can't get to a store in person, try viewing several online to see if any "speak" to you. If you are going to use them for divination, why not start right away? :)

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 08:51:05 am »

I haven't made any of the style that site explains, but I have made one set and am in the middle of a second.  My first set is just found stones, all just a bit bigger than my thumbnail.  I used red nail polish to paint the runes on, and have been using them...they work really well for me.

The second set I have been working on is going to be carved on some old bone staves I had (from a Mahjong set).  The bone is crazy hard though, so it is taking some time to get them done.

As far as buying, one thing I find easier with runes is that there is less variance (compared to a tarot deck, where I really like to have seen all the art before I buy a deck).  I have seen some lovely sets for sale.  While I do typically prefer to be able to touch things like this that I want to purchase, I think I would be okay getting a set online.  Even if it didn't end up being my "favorite, gonna use it forever" set, it might be like my first set I made:  great for practice and getting used to working with the runes.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • Religion: Norse/Germanic Polytheists
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 12:35:51 pm »

I bought my first set on etsy. They have worked just fine. I am making an Anglo-Saxon set. I think either is ok as long as you feel comfortable.

Solstice

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 01:04:36 am »

I came across my first rune set completely by accident. The set was in one of those commercialized, pocket-sized packages that you often see in the front of book stores. The set was very effective, actually, after I consecrated it, which to me translated as sleeping with the runes under my pillow and playing around with them (though I did take them with me to Iceland, so that may have helped). The only reason I stopped using them was because the paint job on each rune faded away and I just felt called to make my own set, which I did out of a beech tree branch. But if you're just starting out, I'm sure that any set you choose will be the set for you. I believe that even drawing runes on Popsicle sticks with a sharpie marker is effective, as long as the intent is there. So, to me, the set shouldn't matter (unless you get a negative reaction from it), so long as you bond with it.

BTW: This was the rune set I started with:

http://www.perseusbooksgroup.com/runningpress/book_detail.jsp?isbn=0762438134

I think it came to about 9 bucks. But if you want to purchase a nice rune set, etsy might be your best bet.

There's also a lot of debate on whether you should have a wood set or a stone set. I say that's really up to you. I personally prefer wood, but the stone sets are really nice too. :D

Carla

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 01:09:36 pm »
Thank you all for your input! Since this would be my first set and I am just learning I think I will try buying a set. I never would have thought of a large bookstore so I will try there first. If all goes well and I find that runes are really for me I will make a set for continued use.
I am planning a post graduation trip to Germany in the spring so maybe I can find some good stones or wood to use there. As far as I know the only rules on bringing foliage across the border pertains to seeds, so a fruit tree branch that is already cut into crude rune-ish shapes will hopefully be ok.  : )

beachglass

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 03:04:06 pm »
Quote from: Carla;120257
As far as I know the only rules on bringing foliage across the border pertains to seeds, so a fruit tree branch that is already cut into crude rune-ish shapes will hopefully be ok.  : )

I would confirm this before you go. Some invasive insects can be carried in fresh wood and importing it may be restricted for this reason.  I recently read an article about a woodcarver which mentioned he needed to get a special customs exemption to import the non-kiln-dried wood he needed from Europe.
"The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."  ~ Robert Smith

Carla

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 06:20:09 pm »
Quote from: beachglass;120265
I would confirm this before you go. Some invasive insects can be carried in fresh wood and importing it may be restricted for this reason.  I recently read an article about a woodcarver which mentioned he needed to get a special customs exemption to import the non-kiln-dried wood he needed from Europe.

I didn't think about bugs. Maybe I'll look for rocks, instead.

Carla

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 06:27:18 pm »
Quote from: Solstice;120220
I came across my first rune set completely by accident. The set was in one of those commercialized, pocket-sized packages that you often see in the front of book stores.

I went by Barnes and Noble today and found exactly 1 rune set there. I opted against it because it was the Ralph Blum set and I saw a lot of people recommending to not go by his book. The set and book together was about $35. From what I saw on etsy I can get a nicer set and then download a more reputable book on my Kindle for about the same price total.

Tags: