collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: The Malleus Maleficarum  (Read 2764 times)

Dark Midnight

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
The Malleus Maleficarum
« on: August 20, 2013, 01:23:33 am »
When I originally joined my old coven, one of the HP's had a real thing about learning the history of Witchcraft. One of the required reading books was The Malleus Maleficarum (The Witch Hammer as it translates). This book was given a significant weight at the time when it was ratified in a Papal Bull by Pope Innocent VIII.  I've read it several times now and it still makes me angry and upset, more than any other book on Witchcraft history that I have read.

Has anyone else actually read this cover to cover? What did you think? How did it make you feel?
"No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy." (Melamphoros)
AKA Thundercougarfalconbird..... (Thanks Nyktipolos!)

Elani Temperance

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.littlewitchmagazine.com
The Malleus Maleficarum
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 01:57:32 am »
Quote from: Dark Midnight;119358
When I originally joined my old coven, one of the HP's had a real thing about learning the history of Witchcraft. One of the required reading books was The Malleus Maleficarum (The Witch Hammer as it translates). This book was given a significant weight at the time when it was ratified in a Papal Bull by Pope Innocent VIII.  I've read it several times now and it still makes me angry and upset, more than any other book on Witchcraft history that I have read.

Has anyone else actually read this cover to cover? What did you think? How did it make you feel?

I read it years ago. I hated it, but could not put it down. The sheer amount of mind fuckery in those pages makes me question the sanity of anyone who used it to commit those horrors. I think it is an important read, though, and I am glad to hear it was part of your coven's required reading: if nothing else, the Maleficarium makes you realize that fear and ignorance lead down a dark road. The book is one of the main reasons I started coming out to my school and work environments. I figured that if people fear what they do not understand, I would make them understand, and that if people persecute what others must hide, then I would not hide. Not one bit, not for anyone. I hate that book and what it represents, but for me, reading it was a life changer for the better, not worse.
Where I ramble on: Baring the Aegis
Where I try to be coherent: Little Witch magazine
My PaganSquare blog as hosted by Witches & Pagans
Hellenic Polytheistic charity circle Pandora\'s Kharis.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
Re: The Malleus Maleficarum
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 04:13:34 am »

I've read and heard a lot about it, but haven't read it. That isn't usually the approach I take with books, but I suspected that this book would upset me, so I haven't attempted it. I don't think that the anti-witchcraft inquistions had anything to do with modern witchcraft and magic - it's more what happened to innocent, ordinary (mostly) women that makes me angry.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 10:12:13 am »

It is one of those books that's been on my "I should really read this" list but that I've not gotten to yet.  Of course, there are SO MANY books on that list that it can be difficult to know where to start.

Can you recommend a translation?
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Dark Midnight

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 10:35:05 am »
Quote from: veggiewolf;119402
It is one of those books that's been on my "I should really read this" list but that I've not gotten to yet.  Of course, there are SO MANY books on that list that it can be difficult to know where to start.

Can you recommend a translation?

There are a lot on Amazon- mine is the version translated by Montague Summers printed first in 1971. He also does the intro.

I agree with a lot of others- it can be upsetting but I think it's a very important book to read, especially if you are interested in the history of Witchcraft- this book was used by so many Witch hunters (along with Daemonolgie by King James I). Completely mind boggling.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 11:33:27 am »
Quote from: Elani Temperance;119362
I read it years ago. I hated it, but could not put it down. The sheer amount of mind fuckery in those pages makes me question the sanity of anyone who used it to commit those horrors.

The truly sad thing is that the book should have never been published -- at least not in the authority that it claimed.  The preface includes an approbation from the University of Cologne's Faculty of Theology -- the authenticity of which has been questioned. Especially as the university later condemned the book for unethical legal practices and contradicting Catholic teaching on demons. Scholars are divided on whether the university endorsement was a forgery, but there seems to be general agreement that if it was genuine Kramer misrepresented it, and that neither the Pope nor the University of Cologne were probably not completely familiar with the contents of the book.

I read it many years ago and found it disgusting -- even for the legal standards of the time.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Dark Midnight

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 11:36:15 am »
Quote from: RandallS;119413
... but there seems to be general agreement that if it was genuine Kramer misrepresented it, and that neither the Pope nor the University of Cologne were probably not completely familiar with the contents of the book.

I read it many years ago and found it disgusting -- even for the legal standards of the time.

They probably saw what it was about, saw how thick it was and just couldn't be bothered to read it all. They probably just heard a rough summary and said 'ok, whatever- go ahead'.

Elizabeth G.

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 02:11:29 pm »

Those monks gave an awful lot of voyeuristic attention to sexual matters, and the blatant misogyny was appalling.  What I find disgusting is that both church and secular leaders were so quick to use this book as an excuse to persecute those who were different, and to conveniently enrich themselves or remove their enemies.  An outrageous "if accused you're guilty" standard of proof applied.  The book focused the simmering fears of the ignorant, and institutionalized hatred, intolerance, and venality.

anonymus

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 07:10:05 pm »
I have not actually read read it but the excerpts I have read have resulted in me screaming multiple expletives in shear confusion. Some of the crap regarding human reproduction was so mind boggling that it made me wonder if the authors were some sort of crazy. I mean it's that special, just wow... kind of nuts.
p.s. I think I now know were Rush Limbaugh gets some some of his stuff
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 07:18:31 pm by Melamphoros »

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 11:53:36 pm »

Not yet. It's on my TBR list; I'm sure I'll get to it eventually.

When I was 17 and leaving fat camp in San Diego, my bio-sire and I stopped at the San Diego Museum of Anthropology. They were having a torture exhibit, so I got to see firsthand many of the devices used to extract confessions of witchcraft.

I'm guessing the book will likely make me feel the way that exhibit did -- like I need a barf bag handy.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Dark Midnight

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 01:25:40 am »
Quote from: Morag;119503
Not yet. It's on my TBR list; I'm sure I'll get to it eventually.

When I was 17 and leaving fat camp in San Diego, my bio-sire and I stopped at the San Diego Museum of Anthropology. They were having a torture exhibit, so I got to see firsthand many of the devices used to extract confessions of witchcraft.

I'm guessing the book will likely make me feel the way that exhibit did -- like I need a barf bag handy.

That, a box of tissues, a cushion to cuddle or throw / punch and a large amount of chocolate to make you feel better. (It got me a bit emotional, so I pretty much used the list....)

Dark Midnight

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 03:52:39 am »

Just to really frustrate and upset myself (all in the name of research of course) I am now awaiting 3 new books:-

Daemonologie by King James I

Witchfinders: A 17th Century English Tragedy by Malcolm Gaskill and

The Discovery Of Witches And Witchcraft: The Writings Of The Witchfinders by none other than Matthew Hopkins (his loathsome self)

I'll let you know what I think after they have arrived, but has anyone else read them?

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 05:47:33 am »
Quote from: Dark Midnight;119515
Just to really frustrate and upset myself (all in the name of research of course) I am now awaiting 3 new books:-

Daemonologie by King James I

Witchfinders: A 17th Century English Tragedy by Malcolm Gaskill and

The Discovery Of Witches And Witchcraft: The Writings Of The Witchfinders by none other than Matthew Hopkins (his loathsome self)

I'll let you know what I think after they have arrived, but has anyone else read them?

You are a brave woman.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Dark Midnight

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 06:21:29 am »
Quote from: Naomi J;119519
You are a brave woman.

I'm interested in the subject (just to state the obvious) so I want to get as much info as I can. Don't worry, I've stocked up on tissues and chocolate!

Riothamus12

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: The Nameless Path
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 06:24:33 pm »

That book to me is like the words of a devil put to paper meant to silence occultists and suppress peoples ability to develop a more personal connection with the divine. Not to mention giving people an opportunity to hurt each other over petty crap. I'll not argue it's unimportant. In terms of understanding the fears and mindset of people during the time in which it was written, I think it is very important and thus not necessarily a book to be burned. However, the sight of it and it's name sickens me deeply. However for researching historical attitudes toward witchcraft during the middle ages and social sentiments it's quite valuable despite all the awful things it was used for.
https://inthespiritofconversation.wordpress.com/
I started a blog. Feel free to peruse. It's still in it's early stages and I have to write more, so do bare with me if it's all a little basic so far.

Tags: