collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Shared/Confirmed Gnosis Resources?  (Read 4769 times)

Roheon

• View Profile
Shared/Confirmed Gnosis Resources?
« on: August 19, 2013, 09:46:11 pm »
Are there any resources with specific examples of shared/confirmed gnosis? Just browsing this forum I've picked up a few patterns, which I've found to be incredibly helpful. While I think an actual list of gnosis experienced might ruin things by planting ideas (and thus risking "false experiences") and taking some of the hard work out of it, it might also help bolster faith and prevent people from "reinventing the wheel." Comparing notes could be a great way of turning UPG into SPG or even CG (or, contrarily, reveal a UPG as a misguided hunch). Also, perhaps the Deities reveal contradictory things; could this not also be enlightening?

I know there is some pantheon-specific SPG, but it's usually sprinkled around instead of gathered together. Are there any resources that do, even if they are only specific to one pantheon?

For example, here is some UPG-turned-SPG I've encountered from different "paths":

- The Morrigan seems to disappear for long stretches of time, and has a sort of vibe that is like "No...I'll call you."

- Ishtar and/or Inanna generally seem to come off to people as...scary. Not necessarily bad, but potentially dangerous. While most (if not all) Deities can be intimidating, there's a specific wild vibe to Her.

- Ganesh doesn't seem to have a bad thing to say about anyone. I've never heard of anyone getting a negative response from Him unless it was in the form of an important lesson.

- People seem to also find Kemetic Deities to be especially forgiving and patient. There are always exceptions, of course, but in general the reception seems to default towards warm, or at least kindly uninterested.

- On separate occasions, people have noted that Freya requested chocolate, and Anpu has asked for...Tootsie Rolls? The oddest thing is that these are usually requested without their wrappers.

- When I was active in the Celtic Recon community, I noted that I was getting very hostile feedback from Dian Cécht, and this was very quickly echoed by nearly everyone else.

If there isn't a resource like this, how hard might it be to put notes together and make one?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 08:36:41 am by RandallS »

Riothamus12

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: The Nameless Path
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
Re: Shared/Confirmed Gnosis Resources?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 10:19:49 am »
Quote from: Roheon;119342
Are there any resources with specific examples of shared/confirmed gnosis? Just browsing this forum I've picked up a few patterns, which I've found to be incredibly helpful. While I think an actual list of gnosis experienced might ruin things by planting ideas (and thus risking "false experiences") and taking some of the hard work out of it, it might also help bolster faith and prevent people from "reinventing the wheel." Comparing notes could be a great way of turning UPG into SPG or even CG (or, contrarily, reveal a UPG as a misguided hunch). Also, perhaps the Deities reveal contradictory things; could this not also be enlightening?

I know there is some pantheon-specific SPG, but it's usually sprinkled around instead of gathered together. Are there any resources that do, even if they are only specific to one pantheon?

For example, here is some UPG-turned-SPG I've encountered from different "paths":

- The Morrigan seems to disappear for long stretches of time, and has a sort of vibe that is like "No...I'll call you."

- Ishtar and/or Inanna generally seem to come off to people as...scary. Not necessarily bad, but potentially dangerous. While most (if not all) Deities can be intimidating, there's a specific wild vibe to Her.

- Ganesh doesn't seem to have a bad thing to say about anyone. I've never heard of anyone getting a negative response from Him unless it was in the form of an important lesson.

- People seem to also find Kemetic Deities to be especially forgiving and patient. There are always exceptions, of course, but in general the reception seems to default towards warm, or at least kindly uninterested.

- On separate occasions, people have noted that Freya requested chocolate, and Anpu has asked for...Tootsie Rolls? The oddest thing is that these are usually requested without their wrappers.

- When I was active in the Celtic Recon community, I noted that I was getting very hostile feedback from Dian Cécht, and this was very quickly echoed by nearly everyone else.

If there isn't a resource like this, how hard might it be to put notes together and make one?

Can't say Dian Cecht is a threatening one. He's a healing God with no war associations or destruction associations I can think of. Though there was that one legend about that serpent he slew.... Perhaps  there was something I overlooked. However the rest of it seems pretty spot on.

The Celtic Gods have always given off a very wild unfettered vibe to me in a general sense. Not in the wanton foolish way, but in a jovial celebratory sense with a few exceptions. Mischievous at times but not maliciously so. Unless you do something truly wicked or dishonorable then they get pretty damn stern. Particularly what you have said about the Morrigan is spot on.

In general much of what you have said is spot on from what both my research and personal workings have revealed to me.

Among the Egyptian deities though I have noticed that while Sekhmet is very just and patient she is very, very wild.She Who Mauls (I capitalize that title for reasons other than personal reverence) is like a wildfire filled with all the fury and passion in the universe.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 10:22:00 am by Riothamus12 »
https://inthespiritofconversation.wordpress.com/
I started a blog. Feel free to peruse. It's still in it's early stages and I have to write more, so do bare with me if it's all a little basic so far.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 10:53:29 am »
Quote from: Riothamus12;119403
Can't say Dian Cecht is a threatening one. He's a healing God with no war associations or destruction associations I can think of. Though there was that one legend about that serpent he slew.... Perhaps  there was something I overlooked. However the rest of it seems pretty spot on.

I mean this in the most respectful way possible toward the god in question but... isn't he the one who killed his son for being better at healing than he was? That kind of... idk, professional jealousy strikes me as a bit destructive.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 11:27:03 am »
Quote from: Jack;119409
I mean this in the most respectful way possible toward the god in question but... isn't he the one who killed his son for being better at healing than he was? That kind of... idk, professional jealousy strikes me as a bit destructive.

Yes, and screwed up his daughter's herbalism, and by extension the work of all herbalists... There are a quite a lot of Celtic polytheists who have shared gnosis of him as a very negative, destructive god. I can't comment, as I've only had one interaction with him, and it was brief and neutral.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 11:54:04 am »
Quote from: Roheon;119342

I think the reason something like this is harder than it sounds is because, well, there's the question of vetting the UPG. Inevitably something will come up that some people think is stupid and other people think is spot on. These arguments can get ridiculously heated. (See also the spongecake wars.) How would you handle that?

I think the easiest way to manage something like this would either be a wiki or a public Tumblr (I know, Tumblr, but seriously) where anyone could submit. A good category or tagging system would help make it manageable but you'd still have people criticizing and so on. Not sure what the best way to deal with that would be, personally.
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Riothamus12

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 03:41:47 pm »
Quote from: Jack;119409

To be honest I've never heard such a tale before. Haven't even seen it in any book of Celtic mythology and I've read a ton of books on just about everything Celtic. Of course it's always possible to miss something even when attempting to be meticulous in your research.
I started a blog. Feel free to peruse. It's still in it's early stages and I have to write more, so do bare with me if it's all a little basic so far.

Gilbride

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 03:44:59 pm »
Quote from: Riothamus12;119454
To be honest I've never heard such a tale before. Haven't even seen it in any book of Celtic mythology and I've read a ton of books on just about everything Celtic. Of course it's always possible to miss something even when attempting to be meticulous in your research.

It's legit. Diancecht killed his son Miach and mixed up the herbs so people wouldn't know how to heal with them:

http://www.maryjones.us/jce/diancecht.html

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 04:00:12 pm »

If you want a primary source, it's in the Book of Leinster.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 04:09:58 pm »

I hate to be That Guy, but when I googled to see if I was remembering correctly, the first result is a Wikipedia article about him which mentions it.

(It is sourced here, but... yeah. Wikipedia.)

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 04:30:50 pm »
Quote from: Jack;119457
I hate to be That Guy, but when I googled to see if I was remembering correctly, the first result is a Wikipedia article about him which mentions it.

(It is sourced here, but... yeah. Wikipedia.)

Considering it's more or less the second half of the ONLY story we have of him (the first half being how he fashioned a silver hand for Nuada the king, and his murder of Miach being because Miach restored Nuada's natural hand), yeah, it's worth knowing for those who deal with him.

-Robert Burns

Riothamus12

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 11:22:12 pm »
Quote from: Gilbride;119455
It's legit. Diancecht killed his son Miach and mixed up the herbs so people wouldn't know how to heal with them:

http://www.maryjones.us/jce/diancecht.html

Given that I saw an overtly Christian line in there it makes me a little suspicious of it.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 11:39:55 pm »
Quote from: Riothamus12;119498
Given that I saw an overtly Christian line in there it makes me a little suspicious of it.

I'm not seeing it, but maybe I'm just skimming to fast. Which line bothers you?

What entirely non-Christian sources are you working from?

By the way, what'd you think of the Second Battle of Mag Tuired itself?

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 11:53:32 pm »
Quote from: Riothamus12;119498

I suppose you have Celtic material that hasn't been touched at all by Christian influence? Because the Celts converted early, and the material that has been preserved was written down almost entirely by Christians. So if you'd like to find Celtic lore that hasn't been corrupted or made "suspicious" by Christian influence, bless your heart, good luck to you.

-Robert Burns

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 03:58:14 am »
Quote from: stephyjh;119502
I suppose you have Celtic material that hasn't been touched at all by Christian influence? Because the Celts converted early, and the material that has been preserved was written down almost entirely by Christians. So if you'd like to find Celtic lore that hasn't been corrupted or made "suspicious" by Christian influence, bless your heart, good luck to you.

Lol. Uhm. This.

savveir

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 05:50:39 am »
Quote from: stephyjh;119502

I love you Stephy, just saying.
"I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it."
-Lewis Carroll

Tags: