collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Pagan or Agnostic  (Read 2695 times)

Neolewis85

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Pagan or Agnostic
« on: August 12, 2013, 09:47:57 pm »
Hey all

So I have referred to myself lately as a pagan, but in my search for others (or even text) that I can familiarise with my beliefs I came across agnosticism.  So I began so wonder am I pagan or agnostic.

I beliefs are as such.  I worship the Earth, Sun and Moon and my godesses but I also see all the planets and stars as deities.  I do not pray to them or ask them of anything but I respect their existence.  I Only pray to the Earth, Sun and Moon and it is only with them I will do such things.  I do not associate them with any other types of earth or sun gods (ra, horus, gaia, etc).  To me they are the Sun who created the earth, Mother Earth who created me and the moon who creates a link between the sun and I when the sun is elsewhere.  I could go into loads more detail but I think this should suffice for some help from you all.

In your eyes am I a pagan or agnostic?

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
Re: Pagan or Agnostic
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 09:58:51 pm »
Quote from: Neolewis85;118799

Just a friendly reminder that there's no reason you can't be both. I was an atheist for some time as a Pagan, and even though I've moved more toward the polytheistic side of things, agnosticism and skepticism are still part of my spiritual makeup.

Also, do you consider yourself Pagan? That's my only qualification for whether you're a Pagan or not. There is no arbiter of who is or is not in the Pagan Club, despite what some folks might think.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Neolewis85

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 10:06:28 pm »
Quote from: Sage;118800
Also, do you consider yourself Pagan?

I see what your saying.  Yes I do still consider myself pagan and I guess that is all that matters really.

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 10:17:07 pm »
Quote from: Neolewis85;118801
I see what your saying.  Yes I do still consider myself pagan and I guess that is all that matters really.

Some people might give you a hard time about it, but at the end of the day your religion is between yourself and the Universe, you know?

Here on the Cauldron, we're pretty firm about letting people self-identify as they feel necessary -- especially about the term "Pagan." In fact, there are multiple members (myself included) who get pretty grumpy if someone were to come in and start dictating what does and doesn't count as Pagan. It's also really really common to have folks seek and question about their spirituality for a long time, and not too rare for some to make up their own religious practice based on what feels true for them.

So basically, no worries, friend. :)
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Neolewis85

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 10:29:50 pm »
Quote from: Sage;118803
Some people might give you a hard time about it, but at the end of the day your religion is between yourself and the Universe, you know?

Here on the Cauldron, we're pretty firm about letting people self-identify as they feel necessary -- especially about the term "Pagan." In fact, there are multiple members (myself included) who get pretty grumpy if someone were to come in and start dictating what does and doesn't count as Pagan. It's also really really common to have folks seek and question about their spirituality for a long time, and not too rare for some to make up their own religious practice based on what feels true for them.

So basically, no worries, friend. :)

Yes very true. That helps a lot with how I have been thinking lately.  Thanks

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christo-Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 11:36:21 pm »
Hey all

So I have referred to myself lately as a pagan, but in my search for others (or even text) that I can familiarise with my beliefs I came across agnosticism.  So I began so wonder am I pagan or agnostic.

I beliefs are as such.  I worship the Earth, Sun and Moon and my godesses but I also see all the planets and stars as deities.  I do not pray to them or ask them of anything but I respect their existence.  I Only pray to the Earth, Sun and Moon and it is only with them I will do such things.  I do not associate them with any other types of earth or sun gods (ra, horus, gaia, etc).  To me they are the Sun who created the earth, Mother Earth who created me and the moon who creates a link between the sun and I when the sun is elsewhere.  I could go into loads more detail but I think this should suffice for some help from you all.

I agree with what has been said on this thread.

Also, there's no reason technically that agnosticism excludes god beliefs.  Someone can admit to agnosticism -- I don't know if God/the gods exist -- and continue to believe in them and act as though they do.

I am ultimately agnostic about my own spiritual beliefs, but my spirituality is how I experience the world and shapes how I think and act.  The two don't conflict for me at all.
My personal moral code:

Love wisely, and do what thou wilt.

Gilbride

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 08:11:18 am »
I worship the Earth, Sun and Moon and my godesses but I also see all the planets and stars as deities.

Some of the early Christian sources in Ireland refer to pagans as people who swear oaths by or worship the sun, moon and stars. Don't ask me which ones, it's been a while. :)

Ludola

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 02:31:06 pm »
Hey all

One can easily bring together Agnosticism or Atheism with Paganism. In 21st century it is no longer necessary to believe literally in ancient Gods, rather they can be interpreted metaphorically. If the Sun draws your attention instead of Sun deities - that's OK, nothing wrong about it in my opinion.
One can deem Pantheism no more as Relgion in monotheistic meaning of "faith", it may be viewed as an attitude towards the Mother Earth and remainder Cosmos (I delineated it more broadly elsewhere).
To my palate you are Pagan, although you are an agnostic at the same time;)

Thebes

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 09:11:52 am »

Sounds pretty pagany to me.

I vary my ritual and deities as necessary to suit the situation but have never considered that as being truly agnostic. Indeed agnostic means, according to Webster, the idea that God(/dess) is unknown and even unknowable, whereas I see ritual as a means for gnosis, or achieving direct and personal knowledge of God/dess.

It sounds to me like you view the Earth and Moon as God/dess and seek to achieve direct knowledge, ie gnosis, without using names of individual dieties. Technically that would be gnostic rather than agnostic. The later term is often used colloquially to mean a lack of rigid beliefs, but such theological use is technically incorrect.

Louisvillian

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Syncretic religio romana/Hellenised Romano-British religion
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 08:24:44 am »

It's not like those are opposing terms. Paganism is a lifestyle as much as it is a philosophy or religious attitude. It's a general approach that honours or exalts nature, or as I put it, "one's habitat" (there are urban pagans, after all). It's not inherently polytheistic or religious.
Agnosticism is a philosophical approach to certainty which denies that certainty is possible. Usually in regards to theology, but the term can be applied elsewhere too.

For you, as a pagan (which seems pretty clear given your description about how you view the sun, the moon, and the earth), the question becomes: am I certain that these beings or forms are divine or worthy of exaltation?

incendium

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 01:23:44 pm »
All I am calling agnosticism, is "just believe it" and nothing more.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 06:40:37 pm »
Quote from: incendium;121759

A Reminder:
Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just  replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

I have posted the above reminder many times and you are still not quoting as our rules require. Should you continue to refuse to obey our quoting rules, you will get official warnings and will eventually be banned from this board for rules violations. I will be PMing you about this post as a special favor -- as we do not normally PM members about rules violations. Please quote -- we make it almost impossible to avoid quoting (unless you are using Tapatalk -- if you are using Tapatalk and cannot figure out how to quote as our rules require you must stop using Tapatalk. More on using Tapatalk on this forum.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 01:37:09 pm »
Quote from: incendium;121759

wait - you're saying agnosticism is belief?

agnosticism is questioning and LACK of belief.  Or belief-with-question.  definitely not *just believe it*.

*confused as heck*

Tags: