collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Interpretations of animism  (Read 2770 times)

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christo-Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Interpretations of animism
« on: August 01, 2013, 03:00:05 pm »
I'm hoping to get a good discussion going on animism here and our experiences.  I'll provide a little background on where I'm coming from.

First off, I have to say that I haven't read a great deal on traditional animistic cultures at this time.  Of course, I do need to learn more about that aspect of it to broaden my perspective, but the reason I haven't looked into other cultures much yet is that I had an encounter in the middle of the night in the woods near my house and came back home an animist.  I can't really go into details here, but it was beautiful, terrifying, and very dangerous.  Before that point, I accepted animism intellectually, but I hadn't really experienced it myself.

I am coming to animism strictly based on my own experiences, not based on what I have read of other cultures, so I know that I could be completely different from traditional animist beliefs.  In a way, I'm a clean slate when it comes to this -- until I can broaden my studies all I have are my own experiences to go on.  I'm okay with this, though, because it grounds my beliefs in my own local reality, culture, and worldview.  I feel like it is good for me to get a grounding based on how I experience the world before I delve too deeply into other cultures.  It gives me a good context, and it's exciting!

I don't really have all the details of my emerging worldview worked out, but I do have some tentative ideas.  For instance, I have a shrine in my living room for house spirits.  Some of the spirits I can tell are local and may not move with me when I go, some of them I know will go with me.  The shrine is decorated with objects from around my house or from garage sales, etc., which feels appropriate for house spirits.  Some of the pieces I really believe the spirits animate when I interact with them, others like the goats on my shrine represent any spirits in my house in general or nature spirits near me, but not specific entities.

My approach to getting to know the spirits is this: if I see a statue or something that resonates with me, I'll put it on the shrine.  Over time, as I make offerings, I will get an idea of a spirit that has connected to the symbol.  Depending on how deeply that spirit impresses itself on me, I may give it a name and create devotions.  For example, I have a statue of a topless woman with red pants and black skin.  Over time I have come to call her the Black Mother.  I associate her with the night sky (or a stormy sky in day time or night) and chaotic elements.  When I have to move pretty soon, I'll move her symbol (I personally refer to it as an emblem) since the night sky will go wherever I go.

I'm a little hazy as to the origins of the various kinds of spirits.  I'm really unfamiliar with this outside of my own experiences.  But I do have a general idea.  I think the universe is ultimately chaotic based on my encounter.  That's kind of how I look at my house spirits.  When I move to another house, I'm sure the shrine will look different, I might meet new spirits, some may come, some may go.  I think in some real sense my experiences will focus how these spirits emerge out of the chaos we all came from.  I believe these spirits are still evolving and changing, just like everything else.  Ultimately I believe everything is one.  I am not separate from rock or the earth.  Ultimately my consciousness emerges out of nothing.  I can't separate myself from a rock -- we are both mostly empty space.  My consciousness emerges out of nothingness -- it is at least an extension of everything else in the universe (or I wouldn't exist at all).

Outside of my home, I do visit the woods where I had my experience often.  Sometimes I make little offerings of bread and water or bird seed, and I usually bring a bag to pick up trash.  I can feel spirits there, but I get the sense that they stay there, so it's a little different from my house spirits.  My house spirits are more familiar to me as they seem to live in the house with me and we have a closer connection, but I'll continue to work on my relationship with the others since they are the ones who brought me into this new perspective to begin with.

I'm wondering if anyone else has a take on this subject.  If you are animistic, how do you interpret it?  Is your perspective more based on personal experience, studying animistic cultures, or maybe a little of both?  Are there any ways in which you think your animism is different from traditional animistic cultures and religions?  Did you have an encounter that led to your animism?

I'd love to hear some other perspectives!  Thanks.
My personal moral code:

Love wisely, and do what thou wilt.

Materialist

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Interpretations of animism
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 10:02:34 pm »
Quote from: EclecticWheel;117576

I'm a little hazy as to the origins of the various kinds of spirits.

I've been philosophizing about the nature of  spirits as well (but that's a discussion for another thread). In my opinion, spirits were originally attributed to other lifeforms and places as a means to anthropomorphize them in order to develop a functional relationship with nature. In the general scheme of things that I have come up with, a thing and its spirit come into existence simultaneously.  For example, whenever the Mississippi river popped out of the ground is when it got a river spirit.

House spirits don't exist to me because I treat them as archetypes of house keeping skills and other domestic activities, and thus do not receive offerings (in my experience, doing so leads to spectacular ritual disasters and the occurrence of bad omens). On the other hand, my upavita (it's like a stole/rosary combo thing) and any candles I use in ritual do have "spirits" in the sense that I have described. They are like beloved siblings and mentors guiding me along the true path, and are treated with as much respect as the plants in my garden.

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 10:50:48 pm »
Quote from: Materialist;117621

House spirits don't exist to me because I treat them as archetypes of house keeping skills and other domestic activities, and thus do not receive offerings (in my experience, doing so leads to spectacular ritual disasters and the occurrence of bad omens).

That is an interesting perspective on ensoulment -- I tend in that direction in some ways.

Regarding house spirits, I do have emblems on my shrine for entities that are beyond just the house, but I have never had any kind of disaster with making an offering to house spirits.  That is interesting.  What kind of disaster do you mean?
My personal moral code:

Materialist

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 08:27:39 pm »
Quote from: EclecticWheel;117629
 What kind of disaster do you mean?

Everything felt so wrong it gave me a headache, and I had nightmares the rest of the night. Meditating on it that morning I realized that orthopraxy has its limits.

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 09:03:12 pm »
Quote from: Materialist;117789
Everything felt so wrong it gave me a headache, and I had nightmares the rest of the night. Meditating on it that morning I realized that orthopraxy has its limits.

I've definitely had the feeling something I was doing wasn't working or that it was wrong, but no headaches or nightmares, and it had nothing to do with my offerings to house spirits and the other spirits at the particular shrine I'm talking about.

Do you think this is a universal, or do you think it is only disastrous for your own practice?  I'm not going to argue with you here, I'm just curious what you think.
My personal moral code:

Materialist

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 11:17:10 pm »
Quote from: EclecticWheel;117795

Do you think this is a universal, or do you think it is only disastrous for your own practice?

Hm...I think it was just a problem of my own practice.

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 03:20:48 pm »
Quote from: Materialist;117810
Hm...I think it was just a problem of my own practice.

I see.

In the past I have had to struggle with some issues of my own religious practice that needed to be modified.  I guess that is a pitfall of branching out on your own sometimes, but it's the only way to learn in that unique way.

Anyway, thanks for sharing.  :)
My personal moral code:

Solstice

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 12:13:23 am »
I'm wondering if anyone else has a take on this subject.  If you are animistic, how do you interpret it?  Is your perspective more based on personal experience, studying animistic cultures, or maybe a little of both?  Are there any ways in which you think your animism is different from traditional animistic cultures and religions?  Did you have an encounter that led to your animism?

I usually give myself a scientific interpretation of animism and use the Law of Conservation of Energy. Energy cannot be created or destroyed; it can only change form. This rings true for animals, plants, rocks/minerals, and natural phenomena and the transference of energy from parent to kin, from earth to sky. I hold the same for inanimate, inorganic objects. To me, the creation of an object begins at its birth. You create something, a statue, let's say, and the time, energy, and effort you put into that statue breathes in it a spark of life. Then, the more you and others interact with that statue, and the longer it exists as a statue on this earth, the more powerful its essence becomes. That's why I think certain objects can become "haunted," and why many antique shops creep me out. A lot of energy and experiences and manhandling has crackled the atmosphere surrounding said object. Of course, the more dramatic the situation, the more I believe the "statue" can become supercharged with a swarm of negative and/or positive energies.

For example, I'm pretty much obsessed with the Titanic. So much work and time and hopes hinged on the creation of this ship. She was then the largest oceanliner in the world, and Her name got around from ear to ear. "Practically unsinkable" translated to "unsinkable" to many. Her luxury was touted as unmatched. Then, the disaster happened and over 1500 people perished when she sank to her final resting place at the bottom of the North Atlantic. We all know the story. Titanic became a tomb for premature deaths, her energy channeled by the heightened emotions and pure terror of a collective thousand-and-a-half. So now, when I look at the wreck-site, I see a ship still writhing and screaming for life, just as all those souls once had. Any objects the divers bring back must be simply radiating with energy from the giant battery of souls that ship has entrapped (I've actually seen a few Titanic artifacts up close and could feel that energy). This also makes me feel sympathy for many "inanimate" objects. It pains me to see certain objects getting destroyed, especially something like a beloved old teddy bear, aged with wear and loved once by a child. This is why I'm such a pack rat and can't throw things away (I should probably work on that, but the Toy Story movies didn't help my cause any. XD)

Since I also haven't done many readings on animism, I don't know if my gnosis is shared by many or not, but I know of a few who have agreed with me on some matters. And as a sidenote, I do feel that inanimate objects are more residual in nature than sentient, carrying the intentions and emotions of all that have interacted with it--but with enough energy I believe anything can become sentient, powerful, and honored.

I haven't done much work with animism beyond hammering my philosophy into place, which is still flawed and full of holes I'm trying to fill. I would like to do more work with animism but honestly wouldn't know where to start. Any animist practices, for me, extend mostly to the four elements and to a few particular nature spirits/animal spirits.

Anyway, sorry for getting long-winded up there. I'm not very good at explaining myself, so if anything I wrote is unclear, feel free to ask me to clarify. XD

ethelwulf

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 12:04:18 am »
I'm hoping to get a good discussion going on animism here and our experiences.  I'll provide a little background on where I'm coming from.

I am happy to see others interested in animism. I am relatively new to forums and in the first forum (not this one) I participated in, I brought up the concept of animism in pagan religions. I was clearly told by several people who frequented that forum that animism does not belong in any pagan religion. Those who felt this way were for the most part reconstructionists for Nordic faiths with a strong belief that the gods exist in a human like form. This attitude if very different form most pagans I have discussed this with who do feel that animism can be a part of paganism.

For my own experience growing up outside of Philadelphia, I was exposed to Native American religion initially which, at least for the northeastern tribes, believed in animism. From animals to aspects of the land you could feel and communicate with the spirits associated with each. There were some trees where I lived where you could not help but feel a presence of a spirit associated. When I have read the Celtic folklore it seems to refer to animistic ideas especially with the spirits of the rivers, springs and forests as well as animals. The Germanic folklore also has animistic references. Groves of trees and some trees in particular were sacred and worship was outside in nature.

One question that was repeatedly asked in that previous forum was did I believe that every rock has a spirit. I am not an expert at all but in reference to some aspects of nature it is the collective that seems to have the spirit. Thus one rock may not by itself, but ridge or a valley does have a spirit. A handful of water may not by itself, but in the collective of a spring or river it does.

Well these are some of my thoughts on animism.

Kezmerus

• View Profile
    • http://www.three-fires.net/
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 03:53:38 am »

...I'm wondering if anyone else has a take on this subject.  If you are animistic, how do you interpret it?  Is your perspective more based on personal experience, studying animistic cultures, or maybe a little of both?  Are there any ways in which you think your animism is different from traditional animistic cultures and religions?  Did you have an encounter that led to your animism?

Animism is itself a religion and, in my opinion, it is the first religion. All life is sacred. All of the Earth is full of life, therefore the Earth itself is sacred. All things have energy, spirit and substance. When we take from the Earth we need to give back to it, a gift(I give back tobacco when i take a leaf, a plant or herbs, even a stone or two).

The greatest experience I have had was hearing the wind talk to a group of us while we sat in circle near the woods. It was not this experience or any other that rbought me to accept an animistic view. Animism just makes sense to me.
"They came with a Bible and their religion-- stole our land; crushed our spirit... and now tell us we should be thankful to the "Lord" for being "saved"!"
- Chief Pontiac of the Ottawa

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 07:13:37 pm »
Quote from: Kezmerus;122249
Animism is itself a religion

Except when it's not.

Brina

Astani

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 03:23:42 am »
Quote from: Kezmerus;122249
Animism is itself a religion.

Quote from: yewberry;122322
Except when it's not.

I'm of the opinion that animism is more of an umbrella term for a group of religions that are similar to each other, if not necessarily related. It's like how paganism is an umbrella term for pre-Christian religions in Europe and the Near East.

I also think it's an artificial term created for the purpose of describing religions focused on nature and associated spirits. Many of these religions are those of indigenous peoples in countries in Africa and Asia. Some of these religions are pretty small (limited to a tribe or ethnicity which itself doesn't have a big population) and are dubbed "animism".

I come from the Philippines where the pre-Christian religions were regarded as animistic since they focused on the worship of dewatas (nature spirits, though the word itself is related to Indian "devas" which are "gods" but that's another discussion) and belief in anitos (spirits of ancestors). While most of the country is Catholic, several tribes still practice animism.

However, members of this tribe wouldn't call their religion "animism" and would not identify as animist. They would use their own word for their beliefs and identify as such. That's why I think "animism" is an artificial word.

Animism is more a set or system of beliefs to me. As polytheism is the belief in many deities, animism is the belief in nature spirits or some such being. Going with that, a lot of pagan religions and modern ones (Hinduism, Buddhism, and Shinto feature rich spiritual beliefs) had or have animism as part of their belief system. Sometimes, animistic beliefs penetrate into the popular religion that replaced an indigenous animistic religion.

As for me, I acknowledge nature spirits, nymphai, and lesser divinities that may reside nearby when I'm out and about in the wilderness. I don't do that often, though. Even while I was Catholic, my friends and I were conscious (some would say superstitious) of angering the anito (pre-Hispanic Filipino word for spirits) of hills, mounds, and even gravestones when we walk by them.

That being said, though, animism is not a major focus of my worship or practice. The only spirit I pray to is the Agathos Daimon.

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 04:37:28 pm »
Quote from: Astani;122558
I'm of the opinion that animism is more of an umbrella term for a group of religions that are similar to each other, if not necessarily related. It's like how paganism is an umbrella term for pre-Christian religions in Europe and the Near East.

I also think it's an artificial term created for the purpose of describing religions focused on nature and associated spirits. Many of these religions are those of indigenous peoples in countries in Africa and Asia. Some of these religions are pretty small (limited to a tribe or ethnicity which itself doesn't have a big population) and are dubbed "animism".

I come from the Philippines where the pre-Christian religions were regarded as animistic since they focused on the worship of dewatas (nature spirits, though the word itself is related to Indian "devas" which are "gods" but that's another discussion) and belief in anitos (spirits of ancestors). While most of the country is Catholic, several tribes still practice animism.

However, members of this tribe wouldn't call their religion "animism" and would not identify as animist. They would use their own word for their beliefs and identify as such. That's why I think "animism" is an artificial word.

Animism is more a set or system of beliefs to me. As polytheism is the belief in many deities, animism is the belief in nature spirits or some such being. Going with that, a lot of pagan religions and modern ones (Hinduism, Buddhism, and Shinto feature rich spiritual beliefs) had or have animism as part of their belief system. Sometimes, animistic beliefs penetrate into the popular religion that replaced an indigenous animistic religion.

As for me, I acknowledge nature spirits, nymphai, and lesser divinities that may reside nearby when I'm out and about in the wilderness. I don't do that often, though. Even while I was Catholic, my friends and I were conscious (some would say superstitious) of angering the anito (pre-Hispanic Filipino word for spirits) of hills, mounds, and even gravestones when we walk by them.

That being said, though, animism is not a major focus of my worship or practice. The only spirit I pray to is the Agathos Daimon.

This is a helpful post, thank you, similar to the word "shaman," a term not usually embraced by those it is used to describe from traditional tribes or cultures.
My personal moral code:

ethelwulf

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 01:57:11 am »
Quote from: EclecticWheel;122610
This is a helpful post, thank you, similar to the word "shaman," a term not usually embraced by those it is used to describe from traditional tribes or cultures.

I agree with you that it is like the word shamanism in that it describes an aspect of a religion although there are some people who's belief system is so strongly animistic that they see there religion as animism.  Georg Stahl first used the word animism to refer to physical element anima vitalized living bodies in 1720.  The term was redefined by Sir Edward Tylor ,who has been thought of as the founder of anthropology, in 1871 as a characteristic of a religion. His view however was that religions would evolve from primitive to higher levels and animism was an aspect of primitive religions. It is his definition which first connects animism with a spirit of a natural object.

The term has changed since that time in that it has lost its primitive aspect and is now a religious concept that natural things have spirits. It is probably best seen as a term like pantheism yet there are people who feel it plays such a prominent position in their beliefs that they describe their religion as animism. There was a very interesting discussion of Ojibwa language in reference to animism in a book entitled Animism Respecting the Living World by Graham Harvey.

Lykeios Lysios

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Shamanism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/any (Fluid)
Interpretations of animism
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 10:44:08 am »
I am, to a degree, animistic. I haven't researched a whole lot of animistic traditions either. Most of my animistic tendencies come from my primary religion: Hellenismos.

Trees, rivers, oceans, and other such things have spirits (daimonioi) or Gods/Goddesses. I don't know about rocks, but some of the Titans were turned into mountains, or, perhaps more properly, trapped under them.

I always knew about nymphs but wasn't sure there were any in my area until one made its presence known in my very own backyard! Its amazing what one can find when one is looking!
"Man fears the darkness, and so he scrapes away at the edges of it with fire." - Rei Ayanami
"Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate." - Zhuangzi

Tags: