collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Opet 2013 - possible community project  (Read 7102 times)

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
Opet 2013 - possible community project
« on: July 31, 2013, 12:46:04 pm »
We were talking about Opet in the MUX a little while ago and realized that there are several of us who mark the holiday by donating time and//or money to various charity organizations.  We've been calling it, sort of tongue-in-cheek but sort of not, "emboatening the boatless".

I've emboatened for two years now - once donating money toward a canoe for a summer camp for inner city kids, and once doing a micro-loan through Kiva.org toward helping a woman repair her fishing boat.  Funnily enough, with the latter it turned out that Darkhawk and I gave money to the same woman...and that got me thinking about what concentrated community donations could do for someone.

So - would any of the other Kemetics here be interested in participating in a group donation project for Opet where we donate small amounts of money toward one particular person or project?  If so, let me know here in this thread or via PM and I'll start looking for potential causes.

(Any non-Kemetics who want to participate are also welcome, of course!)

Thanks!
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Opet 2013 - possible community project
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 05:40:44 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;117478
So - would any of the other Kemetics here be interested in participating in a group donation project for Opet where we donate small amounts of money toward one particular person or project?  If so, let me know here in this thread or via PM and I'll start looking for potential causes.

I would!
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Varian

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 06:56:40 pm »

I'm interested!

savveir

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 08:46:58 pm »

Thanks!

I'm interested :)
"I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it."
-Lewis Carroll

Snowdrop

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 10:03:10 pm »

I would!

Neteruhemta RaShuGeb

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/kristen.nash1
  • Religion: Kemeticism
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 09:43:56 am »
o - would any of the other Kemetics here be interested in participating in a group donation project for Opet where we donate small amounts of money toward one particular person or project?  If so, let me know here in this thread or via PM and I'll start looking for potential causes.

Thanks!

Count me in!

Sobekemiti

• View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 10:24:46 am »

Thanks!

I'd be up for this, too. Count me in!
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 04:53:09 pm »
Quote from: cymrudraco;117547
I'd be up for this, too. Count me in!

Thanks to everyone who has responded!

If you're not familiar with Kiva, you'll want to check it out.  One of the nice things about the organization is that the donations are loans, and are repaid, and the money that is returned to you can then be lent out again...and it keeps going and going.

I'm thinking, because of my love of the word 'emboatening', that our loan target should be a boat-related project, but suggestions/ideas are needed!

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 03:55:10 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;117586
I'm thinking, because of my love of the word 'emboatening', that our loan target should be a boat-related project, but suggestions/ideas are needed!

Bumping this thread, as conversation in MUX reminded us that Opet is approaching.

I would love a boat-related project, but I'm not fussed one way or another- any Kiva loan is emboatening, to some degree.

Also: when is everyone celebrating Opet? I've only got it down for 11 days, because I feel like I should do something on each day, and eleven days in a row is a rather lot for me! So I'll be celebrating from September 28th through October 8th.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Neteruhemta RaShuGeb

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/kristen.nash1
  • Religion: Kemeticism
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 04:02:11 pm »
Quote from: Juni;120350
Bumping this thread, as conversation in MUX reminded us that Opet is approaching.

I would love a boat-related project, but I'm not fussed one way or another- any Kiva loan is emboatening, to some degree.

Also: when is everyone celebrating Opet? I've only got it down for 11 days, because I feel like I should do something on each day, and eleven days in a row is a rather lot for me! So I'll be celebrating from September 28th through October 8th.

I've got a full blown 24 days because the work I'm doing is going to be that long. My dates are September 30th - October 23.

Sobekemiti

• View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 02:16:44 am »

I already celebrated Opet back in March, because my calendar is the wrong way round so it's seasonally appropriate for Australia. I have it down for 11 days, from the 7th to the 17th of March. For this project, though, I'm happy to work with whatever dates are most agreeable. I'll just do an Opet redux.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 11:03:57 am »

Okay - Opet (for me) starts on September 22nd, and it runs through October 15th.  Now, this is a huge period but it works in our favor if anyone needs time to get money together.

So - I think I found a candidate on Kiva.org - Marilou, who needs $325 more to buy a new engine for her fishing boat.  Could everyone who has shown interest go take a look and let me know if you agree?

The goal would be to try and complete her loan during the length of Opet.  She needs 13 donations of $25 to reach that goal.

Let me know what you think!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 11:07:36 am by veggiewolf »

Darkhawk

• View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 11:09:57 am »
Quote from: veggiewolf;121400
Okay - Opet (for me) starts on September 22nd, and it runs through October 15th.  Now, this is a huge period but it works in our favor if anyone needs time to get money together.

We have a Kiva team!  To join use this link:  http://www.kiva.org/invitedto/the_emboatening_crew/by/heather4410
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Darkhawk

• View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 11:10:58 am »
Quote from: veggiewolf;121400
So - I think I found a candidate on Kiva.org - Marilou, who needs $325 more to buy a new engine for her fishing boat.  Could everyone who has shown interest go take a look and let me know if you agree?

I suspect that that loan might finish up before Opet starts, but that shouldn't stop anyone.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 11:41:36 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;121401
We have a Kiva team!  To join use this link:  http://www.kiva.org/invitedto/the_emboatening_crew/by/heather4410

Thank you, Darkhawk!

Tags: